Snow Report Thredbo 2020 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_Dog

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2005
Sydney
Yeah, super busy yesterday. Wait times of more than half an hour for the mountain bikers, for a lot of the day.
Pretty warm too.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Huge day yesterday
20201121_155951.jpg
Bell to bell riding. As busy as I've seen it but little or no line in the arvo. Only one mechanical with a tear in a sidewall. Had to come home to take the insert out and put a DH tube in and a shower to rinse off the dust. Must have done a dozen Flow runs. Even did a token All mountain ride
20201121_161010.jpg
20201121_161104.jpg
Least amount of snow I've ever seen this time of year. Absolutely beautiful up here.
20201121_160946.jpg
Nudie dip in the river
20201120_191342.jpg
(can't show those pics)then post ride celebration...

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Thredbo in summer looks great. The mountain biking would be fun. The question is though do I really want to give it a try? I have snow skiing a try about 15 years ago and it’s become a super expensive addiction for our family of four. What if we love mountain biking too?

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
Thredbo in summer looks great. The mountain biking would be fun. The question is though do I really want to give it a try? I have snow skiing a try about 15 years ago and it’s become a super expensive addiction for our family of four. What if we love mountain biking too?
I tried mountain biking for the first time in December last year.
It is an unreal experience. 10/10 would recommend giving it a go (although, yeah similar to skiing, your wallet will know about it).

I have never skiied at Thredbo, Im from the "correct" (Lol) side of the hill, but the mountains are gorgeous in summer. If you never been dowm, would recommend it. You get away from the people and the heat :)

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
If you thought ski equipment was expensive, wait until you start pricing MTBs!

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Oh and if we decide to head down over new year would it be likely that we would be able to get accomodation on the fly in Jindy or Cooma? We’re from Qld and the folks at the top here are making it hard to commit to crossing borders.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Oh and if we decide to head down over new year would it be likely that we would be able to get accomodation on the fly in Jindy or Cooma? We’re from Qld and the folks at the top here are making it hard to commit to crossing borders.
Cooma would be fine. Jindy gets busy over the Xmas week.

Reactions: Sbooker

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I tried mountain biking for the first time in December last year.
It is an unreal experience. 10/10 would recommend giving it a go (although, yeah similar to skiing, your wallet will know about it).
Thanks. I think we’ll give this a go.
I have never skiied at Thredbo, Im from the "correct" (Lol) side of the hill, but the mountains are gorgeous in summer. If you never been dowm, would recommend it. You get away from the people and the heat :)
Thanks. I think we’ll give this a go.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Squid

Hard Yards
Jun 30, 2019
The Ocean
Huge day yesterday
20201121_155951.jpg
Bell to bell riding. As busy as I've seen it but little or no line in the arvo. Only one mechanical with a tear in a sidewall. Had to come home to take the insert out and put a DH tube in and a shower to rinse off the dust. Must have done a dozen Flow runs. Even did a token All mountain ride
20201121_161010.jpg
20201121_161104.jpg
Least amount of snow I've ever seen this time of year. Absolutely beautiful up here.
20201121_160946.jpg
Nudie dip in the river
20201120_191342.jpg
(can't show those pics)then post ride celebration...
Is that a DHF front and rear?

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
So just thinking more about this. How would we spend a few days if based in Jindy? I checked the mountain bike hire rates in Thredbo and it absolutely eye watering. About $150 per day and then there is the lift ticket on top. The family of four is likely to pay about $900 for a day a mountain biking. Yikes.
I guess we would certainly have a day hiking to Kosci. A day on the bikes. A day doing disc golf or water sports on the lake?
Any other must dos in the area. Family is 45yo mum, 48yo dad and girl 15 and boy 13. We’ve loved our days on skis at Thredbo so it would be great to see it in the summer.
Thanks in advance.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
So just thinking more about this. How would we spend a few days if based in Jindy? I checked the mountain bike hire rates in Thredbo and it absolutely eye watering. About $150 per day and then there is the lift ticket on top. The family of four is likely to pay about $900 for a day a mountain biking. Yikes.
I guess we would certainly have a day hiking to Kosci. A day on the bikes. A day doing disc golf or water sports on the lake?
Any other must dos in the area. Family is 45yo mum, 48yo dad and girl 15 and boy 13. We’ve loved our days on skis at Thredbo so it would be great to see it in the summer.
Thanks in advance.
The DH bike hire includes body armour and DH helmet. Sacred ride in Jindy charges $50 aday for XC bike hire. Good for the TVT and the Jindy to Gaden trail. Those bikes are also good for bungarra and Gladstone.

Squid

Hard Yards
Jun 30, 2019
The Ocean
Yep. I love crisp rubber on the front. As soon as the corners get rounded it goes on the back. DHF not ideal on the back, but only if you're climbing. They're Maxx Grips, so damp and like glue on the back end.
That's quite a smart idea, and I can definitely imagine how much they must stick, excellent grip though.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Thanks in advance.

Drive around and do the Blue Lake lookout from Charlotte Pass. If the kids are up for it go all the way to the top of Curruthers and check out the views.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
yep

Thanks in advance.

The DH bike hire includes body armour and DH helmet. Sacred ride in Jindy charges $50 aday for XC bike hire. Good for the TVT and the Jindy to Gaden trail. Those bikes are also good for bungarra and Gladstone.
Do this.
Can I suggest the Thredbo Valley Trail or even Hatchery Bay at Jindy before hitting the downhill. It’s a fairly different beast.
Because of this.
Drive around and do the Blue Lake lookout from Charlotte Pass. If the kids are up for it go all the way to the top of Curruthers and check out the views.
And do this.

My recommendations?
Thredbo chair and walk to Kozzie, or if wanting a different view, Charlotte Pass and walk (or xc hire bike ride) to Kozzie. It's a fire trail.
Swim in the Thredbo River at Thredbo diggings on a hot day.
Lunch at Wild Brumby.
XC trail alongside the Lake to Hatchery Bay

Some of the bushwalks around Thredbo are lovely - DHG, etc.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Thanks in advance.

Lake, fish, boat hire, bike hire, disk golf, KNP walks, horse ride. You don't actually have to spend a wallet of cash.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Yep reiterating what others have said. it's not all about the downhill. If you are all mtb newbies work up through Hatchery and TVT to a day at Thredbo. Hikes as suggested. Canoe or paddle board on the lake. End day in town for afternoon swim after working up a sweat earlier in the day, bbq at accom or head out for dinner, although there are some spots in Thredbo like Thredbo Burger Bar that are a good feed and a reasonable price for after a day of riding. Take a swim part way through a ride like at Hatchery Bay or Thredbo Diggins.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Other favoruite past times of mine that you can do:

Bobsled at Thredbo is awesome fun and a must. My dad and I always race. Its one of things that I really look forward too when we we go down
We take a picnic up to Charlottes Pass to the Kozciuszko look out at Charlottes pass and watch the sun set. Bugs are brutal, but if you pack enough bug spray its really awesome
We walk some of our favourite ski runs and have a look around. Its really nice to see all the rocks that you are sking on.

Im not sure if its open, but you can go up to yarrangobilly caves up in the northern part of KNP. Thats awesome fun
Bushwalking, fishing, kayaking on the lake are other great options.

Honestly worth it just to escape heat. Hottest it usually gets to is 24-25, so its perfect

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Take a bar of soap and have a wash in the lake, a new free experience for the whole family.
Being a skiing family I am not afraid to open the wallet. The point has been taken with regard downhill mountain biking but the $900 for a day for a family of 4 was a shock to be honest.
A big part of that is (unlike skiing) we don't have our own gear. If we didn't have to rent bikes the cost would be $300 or thereabouts which I'm totally accepting of as I've had many days on many ski hills that have cost more than that for lift tickets.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Being a skiing family I am not afraid to open the wallet. The point has been taken with regard downhill mountain biking but the $900 for a day for a family of 4 was a shock to be honest.
A big part of that is (unlike skiing) we don't have our own gear. If we didn't have to rent bikes the cost would be $300 or thereabouts which I'm totally accepting of as I've had many days on many ski hills that have cost more than that for lift tickets.
Seriously. If you’ve never been mountain biking, do not first time it down Thredbo. Would you take a first time skier straight up Kosi express?

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Other favoruite past times of mine that you can do:

Bobsled at Thredbo is awesome fun and a must. My dad and I always race. Its one of things that I really look forward too when we we go down
We take a picnic up to Charlottes Pass to the Kozciuszko look out at Charlottes pass and watch the sun set. Bugs are brutal, but if you pack enough bug spray its really awesome
We walk some of our favourite ski runs and have a look around. Its really nice to see all the rocks that you are sking on.

Im not sure if its open, but you can go up to yarrangobilly caves up in the northern part of KNP. Thats awesome fun
Bushwalking, fishing, kayaking on the lake are other great options.

Honestly worth it just to escape heat. Hottest it usually gets to is 24-25, so its perfect
Bobsled looks tops! The caves look interesting.
It surprises me that bugs??? would be a problem in an area that is elevated and has low humidity. Are we talking mosquitos? Sandflies or midgies?
I'm with you on the heat. I was unfortunately born in Qld and therefore have roots here that make moving to a preferred climate difficult. Should be a nice escape from the humidity.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Seriously. If you’ve never been mountain biking, do not first time it down Thredbo. Would you take a first time skier straight up Kosi express?
This...
We had friends plan to do it.
They even made it all the way to putting their hard tail kmart mountain bikes on the chair lift.
One of the lifties pulled them up.
Then gave the person in the office a good bullocking for selling them tickets.

They even found TVT challenging.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
As previously mentioned I have taken that message on board. We do limited mountain biking at home so I thought an 'easy' run would be fine but maybe not.
Skiing is different altogether. A first timer has never been on skis however most people can confidently ride a bike.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
This...
We had friends plan to do it.
They even made it all the way to putting their hard tail kmart mountain bikes on the chair lift.
One of the lifties pulled them up.
Then gave the person in the office a good bullocking for selling them tickets.

They even found TVT challenging.
TVT def has some challenging bits. Even Hatchery for a first timer. Bungarra has some nice gentle greens but you have to pay.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It surprises me that bugs??? would be a problem in an area that is elevated and has low humidity. Are we talking mosquitos? Sandflies or midgies?
I'm with you on the heat. I was unfortunately born in Qld and therefore have roots here that make moving to a preferred climate difficult. Should be a nice escape from the humidity.
Around Christmas the flies can be a issue.
Sometimes.

I'd look to get a Airbnb in Jindy.
Thredbo is going to be insanely busy this Christmas hols. Think of lift lines 5 x longer than winter.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
March flies from the bowels of hell.

Avoid wearing blue (including jeans). They love it. They will bite through denim.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
As previously mentioned I have taken that message on board. We do limited mountain biking at home so I thought an 'easy' run would be fine but maybe not.
Skiing is different altogether. A first timer has never been on skis however most people can confidently ride a bike.
Confidently riding a bike and getting down bermed and banked bike park single track are a long, long way apart.

can you confidently ride dedicated single track?

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Ok. Think that’s the first time you’ve indicated that you had some MTB experience. Even so, there is no “easy” run at Thredbo. There’s just “not as hard or scary”, coming from a relatively experienced but not overly confident xc mtber (me). Maybe get a group lesson for the family, you can ride the “easier” trails without the full protective gear and normal mountain bikes, if you have your own. My first time was on a xc hard tail. Don’t recommend.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It might be a moot point though..
The speed at which lift tickets are selling out for MTB at Thredbo.

I predict the 2 weeks around Christmas/NY will sell out

Reactions: telecrag

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Ok. Think that’s the first time you’ve indicated that you had some MTB experience. Even so, there is no “easy” run at Thredbo. There’s just “not as hard or scary”, coming from a relatively experienced but not overly confident xc mtber (me). Maybe get a group lesson for the family, you can ride the “easier” trails without the full protective gear and normal mountain bikes, if you have your own. My first time was on a xc hard tail. Don’t recommend.
The valley track looks to be interesting enough for us. Walking to Kosci from either Thredbo or CP, the bobsled, disc golf, swimming, kayaking etc will fill the time nicely. It would be advantageous for it not to be raining for 4 days straight however.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
WTF? Is this everywhere in the general area? Or just specific locations?
I find they nick off rapidly above ~2000m. But below that, if you arent wearing high strength bug spray or long pants and arms, you are fair game.

I dont care about Moths or blowflies or anything else except the marchies. They hurt like an absolute MF and bloody big

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
To reiterate on the MTB as well. I did two summers around the Jindy forshore before I progessed to the downhill.

Its obviosuly way more fun, but if you or a family member have never done it before, do some of the ones around the lake. They are plenty challanging enough for your first couple of times before you head up the Kosciuszko express

Reactions: skull

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
The valley track looks to be interesting enough for us. Walking to Kosci from either Thredbo or CP, the bobsled, disc golf, swimming, kayaking etc will fill the time nicely. It would be advantageous for it not to be raining for 4 days straight however.
TVT is awesome, very scenic. I’ve even ridden it at night a few times. You can either catch a shuttle from Lake Crackenback (who also hire bikes) and ride back down. Or Thredbo do pickup from Lake Crackenback. If you’re staying at Jindy, I’d organise through LCR. Do book though, it will be busy. There are uphills on the way down, but lots of fun downhill, berms, bridges etc I think around 200m of climbing in the 20km downhill. Also some great trails in and around LCR. Easily spend a day doing that.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Haha, I once saw a couple of people, full rentals, walking down after discovering very quickly, that riding a bike, and riding a bike, are two different things. Expensive lesson! When I started riding Thredbo there was only the DH trail, and you had to do an induction to make sure you would not die. A young fella broke his arm on my induction.

That said, there is one very easy trail now, Easy Street, but I would still say it would intimidate a new mtb rider who hasn't done much single track.

A friend of mine took his partner up, to ride down the Flow, she had done a few rides around Canberra, she crashed and broke her sternum. None of us could believe he did that. As an experienced rider, your perception is different, I don't even realise something is steep, unless I try and walk it for some reason.

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Yeh the downhill MTB thing is a highly specialised pastime. Lots of expensive gear required especially around body armour and ppe. Bit risky doing the Thredbo downhill trails on regular XC MTB gear imo.

Reactions: skull

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
putting their hard tail kmart mountain bikes on the chair lift.
Oh I’ve seen some real dozeys on the hill. People who look like they haven’t ridden in years or the extent of their riding is around the block, then hitting the hill on their hard tail Kmart specials

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Bit risky doing the Thredbo downhill trails on regular XC MTB gear imo.
I’ve done the all mountain in my cannondale scalpel twice. Both runs damaged the bike.
Crumbled a wheel then had to walk down in first time, then demolished my rear mech in second attempt.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Easy Street, but I would still say it would intimidate a new mtb rider who hasn't done much single track.
Took my then 7 year old in easy street, thinking it would be an easy intro.
There was plenty of walking and crying. We made it to the bottom but he was challenged. It still has some serious sections to navigate.

he enjoyed bits of it but wasn’t keen to go again. He loved the tvt from Thredbo to diggings though

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Haha, I once saw a couple of people, full rentals, walking down after discovering very quickly, that riding a bike, and riding a bike, are two different things. Expensive lesson! When I started riding Thredbo there was only the DH trail, and you had to do an induction to make sure you would not die. A young fella broke his arm on my induction.

That said, there is one very easy trail now, Easy Street, but I would still say it would intimidate a new mtb rider who hasn't done much single track.

A friend of mine took his partner up, to ride down the Flow, she had done a few rides around Canberra, she crashed and broke her sternum. None of us could believe he did that. As an experienced rider, your perception is different, I don't even realise something is steep, unless I try and walk it for some reason.
Easy St still joins onto the Flow though, which is still confronting if you’re not either experienced or fearless. Even having faster riders coming up behind you is confronting.

Reactions: telecrag
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass