Snow Report Thredbo 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
That was amazing @Billy_Buttons !! Looks like a great season of beautiful soft snow and no crowds. I really miss Pete Muller and his big bear hugs, great to see him in this. Haven't seen him since he moved to Qld about 20 years ago. Also, around 12.39 it looks a bit like the zoom in is maybe Tony Weaver?
He looks similar but a bit too tall for Tony. Besides, Tony would have been in his ski patrol outfit. RIP :cry:

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
That was amazing @Billy_Buttons !! Looks like a great season of beautiful soft snow and no crowds. I really miss Pete Muller and his big bear hugs, great to see him in this. Haven't seen him since he moved to Qld about 20 years ago. Also, around 12.39 it looks a bit like the zoom in is maybe Tony Weaver?

My memories were mostly of blizzards and skiing blind.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
He looks similar but a bit too tall for Tony. Besides, Tony would have been in his ski patrol outfit. RIP :cry:
The ski patrol outfit did cross my mind but I thought it may have been a day off. I didn't recognise those around him though. Loved Tony, had a really great chat with him (we always talked about horses) the night he died :emoji_broken_heart: I was talking to a friend about that the following week quietly at the bistro bar, and the conversation was printed word for word in The Australian that weekend. They'd bugged the bar. It was sickening :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
I'll be back...

1633881302204.png

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I love how skinny the catwalk was, as filmed from the NEW SHINY STATE OF THE ART SNOWGUMS DOUBLE CHAIR!!!! I learned to ski at Merritts in the 80s and vaguely remember Catwalk being a bit of a bowling alley even back then. Then came big earthworks, big widening, snowmaking, bigger bowling alley! Kinda like freeways and traffic in cities. Anyway thx for posting

Reactions: lewis and Alleve

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I love how skinny the catwalk was, as filmed from the NEW SHINY STATE OF THE ART SNOWGUMS DOUBLE CHAIR!!!! I learned to ski at Merritts in the 80s and vaguely remember Catwalk being a bit of a bowling alley even back then. Then came big earthworks, big widening, snowmaking, bigger bowling alley! Kinda like freeways and traffic in cities. Anyway thx for posting

Remember the hay bale chicane

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Not really. But I want to know more! Crazy catwalk stories are always welcome. Bunnywalk too. I remember when you could poach pow turns between the two. Barrier has stopped that fun

They would put up a hay bale chicane on the bend when the snow got a bit thin. Tuck tuns through that was always fun with some lift a foot quick feet maneuvers.

Reactions: Ramshead

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
It was ALWAYS full tuck from Sponars to Crackenback.

Mogul

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2004
Upper Northern Beaches, Sydney
Not really. But I want to know more! Crazy catwalk stories are always welcome. Bunnywalk too. I remember when you could poach pow turns between the two. Barrier has stopped that fun
Catwalk didn't seem that scary, but the bunnywalk all I can remember is you had to go flat out or you ended up walking the last little bit. It was the left hander after going under Snowgums from memory was rather tight at full tilt.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Way too much traffic for it these days, for me anyway.
Life has too much traffic these days everywhere, be it vehicles, other pedestrians on foot or skiers on the hill! If you're able to hit it at the right time of day you can still blast through but always gotta keep yelling at those pesky snowboard blind sides to get their attention!

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
only been down that section once, didn't enjoy the traverse back out

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
actually during the season Snow Blowey and I were discussing if you could follow the fall line down through the trees out and pop out further down near sundowner.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
You need a series of low elevation storms and a couple freeze thaws. Back of Rossi race course used to be good till the big snow storm snapped just about every tree in 2020. Now it's a labyrinth of wood. It's like that most places in the trees on the lower mountain now.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
You need a series of low elevation storms and a couple freeze thaws. Back of Rossi race course used to be good till the big snow storm snapped just about every tree in 2020. Now it's a labyrinth of wood. It's like that most places in the trees on the lower mountain now.
Excellent answer

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
The mountain bike track off rossi race course though was on point this year, they really got the balance of ski friendly tracks right i.e. done some landscaping to remove previously cumbersome rocks

Reactions: skull

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Really???
In the context of the whole of NSW that’s just rubbish talk.

And yes I was in Jindy close to the action during this period.
With 20/20 vision, it would not have blown up if the resorts stayed closed for the season.

Reactions: fenrir
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass