Snow Report Thredbo 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
Ahh for some reason I though last year was $165. I've been thinking that for ages!
Yeah I can’t see why so many people are so angry about the price rise of day tickets at Thredbo. The cost of day tickets anywhere in Oz is ridiculous full stop but the price rise this year is the same as any other year I would think. If you’re a local getting a lot of days in and for whatever reason has some sort of attachment that you have to ski there I wouldn’t think even the season pass price would mean too much to you either (though I think it’s ludicrous). Where it’s f$&$ed punters is where you’re someone who skis maybe say five, six or seven weekends, then I can’t see why you wouldn’t go somewhere else. I know I would if the tables were turned.

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
For the rare person who actually buys individual day tickets, sure.

But for the family who go for a week long holiday, no. The multi-day tickets have nowhere near the same level of discounting as in previous years (last year was, obviously, an anomaly).

i.e. None whatsoever this year, in peak season. That one still amazes me.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
It amounts to a reduction of $10 per day for 3-7 day tickets from the daily price with the advance purchase discounted pricing saving of 6%.

its been this way for decades!

it’s the reason we switched to season passes! I remember buying daily after checking the weather report etc as the $10 a day saving wasn’t worth it if we lost one day. I wanted to buy tickets up front to spread the cost of the holiday so next year we brought the season pass.

even at other resorts it’s been the same, Whistler was cheaper to buy daily the day before and we got of a bigger discount than a seven day any day pass (which we could have used back here). I think Sunpeaks was the only one to buck this trend and offered a reasonable discount but that seems to have changed this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annabuzzy

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
It amounts to a reduction of $10 per day for 3-7 day tickets from the daily price with the advance purchase discounted pricing saving of 6%.

Oh, so it does. That's put some sense back into things. When they first released prices there was no discount for multiple days over peak season. 7 days was the same price as 7x1 day, which was odd.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

it’s the reason we switched to season passes! I remember buying daily after checking the weather report etc as the $10 a day saving wasn’t worth it if we lost one day. I wanted to buy tickets up front to spread the cost of the holiday so next year we brought the season pass.

even at other resorts it’s been the same, Whistler was cheaper to buy daily the day before and we got of a discount than a seven day any day pass (which we could have used back here). I think Sunpeaks was the only one to buck this trend and offered a reasonable discount but that seems to have changed this year.

I haven't been able to find anything on the standard rates for Thredbo in 2019 (unlike Perisher), but this PDF shows the social group pricing, which looks to be broadly similar to the rack rates: https://www.thredbo.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019-Winter-Social-Group-Rates.pdf

The key difference is that the more days you buy at once, the lower the average cost - this year the cost for a 3 day pass, with the 6% maximum discount in peak, is $159 per day. The cost for a 7 day pass with the 6% discount.... is $159 per day.

Then there's lessons. With the bundled pass option, lessons for adults started at $36 per day, and went down to $24 per day over a 5 day pass. This year, whether you are doing a single lesson or a bunch in a row, the cost is the same - $85 per day for a 2 hour group lesson. So on that front, the cost for 5 days of lift access & a 2 hour group lesson has gone from around $685 in 2019, to $1,220 in 2021.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Oh, so it does. That's put some sense back into things. When they first released prices there was no discount for multiple days over peak season. 7 days was the same price as 7x1 day, which was odd.

Yeah, it's the same with the discount - 3 days to 7 days, the pass is effectively $159 per day.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

even at other resorts it’s been the same, Whistler was cheaper to buy daily the day before and we got of a discount than a seven day any day pass (which we could have used back here). I think Sunpeaks was the only one to buck this trend and offered a reasonable discount but that seems to have changed this year.
Outside Niseko in Japan you just go daily passes. In Oz I’ve been season passes for coming on 20 years now.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Outside Niseko in Japan you just go daily passes. In Oz I’ve been season passes for coming on 20 years now.
And for Niseko you really need to be doing 4 weeks or more to justify the season pass. Many people do really well on the hours pass (which they’ve been playing with recently unfortunately) - especially those who like a day or two off, want to head to other places for a day trip, or might be one run Charlies. I’ve always wished Thredbo would offer an “hours” pass like that, but it’s a bit of a unicorn, and we are fortunate it still exists at least in some form in Niseko.

Reactions: skifree

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
That means a test next week. I'll check it out.
Just checked it out. Mostly backfilled now. A hole still open of about 50 metres long on the upper part of old run out on to Friday flat from High Noon. Heaps of new control boxes or something gone in.
But, they didn't go any higher this year. All extra pipes removed that were laying around. Hundreds of metres worth. So a bit of tidying up and maybe a test soon.

I hope hope it doesn't show the next weakest link in the system. If they had made it to the junctions a little higher they could still run one side of the hill independently as a blow out top of Fridays would shut the system down for the winter and people may just start asking for refunds.

Reactions: skiflat

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
If they had made it to the junctions a little higher they could still run one side of the hill independently as a blow out top of Fridays would shut the system down for the winter and people may just start asking for refunds.
No refunds, even without snowmaking everything is still world class.
p1csuavhuhf5614it1i0lcu2pj64.jpg

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
Who cares about that shithole!
Thredbo obviously does, the amount of marketing money they waste trying to prove how much better they are than Perisher.
Almost like they have an inferiority complex about it.... Nah just joshin!
Healthy competition is what a capitalist economy thrives on.
Does that ring a bell?

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
It's a bit like that new about to be European style beach club at Bondi. There's a market for monied people that consistently spend their dosh at such places. Why do you think Tbo has chased year-in-year-out that Premier Ski Resort Badge? It's small enough to be "Exclusive". Perisher is way too big for that.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
It's a bit like that new about to be European style beach club at Bondi. There's a market for monied people that consistently spend their dosh at such places. Why do you think Tbo has chased year-in-year-out that Premier Ski Resort Badge? It's small enough to be "Exclusive". Perisher is way too big for that.
Zermatt is such a cosy mountain.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
I had a very interesting chat at a family reunion today with a Jindy NPs relo.
His take on TBO was the major restriction to the number of people recreating in the village lease area was mandated parking limitations.
Once the car parks are full and the overflow reaches the Alpine Way, by law people must be turned around and refused entry.
On the other hand once the Perisher carpark is full, people are allowed to park beside the road all the way down to Sponars and shuttle buses can transport the punters up.
His unofficial opinion was that the lift ticketing price policy maybe a response to a legally limited carpark space issue expedited as a response to Covid.
No one was quoted in this post.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
His take on TBO was the major restriction to the number of people recreating in the village lease area was mandated parking limitations.
Once the car parks are full and the overflow reaches the Alpine Way, by law people must be turned around and refused entry.
On the other hand once the Perisher carpark is full, people are allowed to park beside the road all the way down to Sponars and shuttle buses can transport the punters up.
His unofficial opinion was that the lift ticketing price policy maybe a response to a legally limited carpark space issue expedited as a response to Covid.
Premium Parking.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
When I used to ride at Tbo...The overflow never ever reached the Alpine way.
That was 1995-2009(ish)

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
It was starting to do it every weekend in August, and 2019 I had to park in the overflow on a Tuesday. Perisher were turning people away as well, and the Alpine Way was closed at the Jindy turnoff, as the ski tube park was also full. First chairs you had to be at GB by 7.30 ffs! On a weekday!

Now you need to book ahead by a lifetime, and leave home before you were born to get a spot.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

There isn't really any road shoulder to park on so makes sense.

Rat trap bindings

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2017
Changing tracks this season from Thredbo after winter and summer trips with my extended mob. Booked for Crackenback 4 units and will tube it to Perisher and evaluate. Just sick of the parking bullshit at Thredbo even with staying in the village were you can’t even “Stand” outside your unit to unpack! Plenty of passing on the one way route just need short time 15min to make it easy. Being told to move on when it was clear we were unpacking this New Years, and been stopped for 5 min, or face a $300 fine, is not the Thredbo I started visiting in 1964. (yep I’m definitely getting cranky and old!)

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Changing tracks this season from Thredbo after winter and summer trips with my extended mob. Booked for Crackenback 4 units and will tube it to Perisher and evaluate. Just sick of the parking bullshit at Thredbo even with staying in the village were you can’t even “Stand” outside your unit to unpack! Plenty of passing on the one way route just need short time 15min to make it easy. Being told to move on when it was clear we were unpacking this New Years, and been stopped for 5 min, or face a $300 fine, is not the Thredbo I started visiting in 1964. (yep I’m definitely getting cranky and old!)
I hear your pain. But do remember, parking fines are NPWS, not Thredbo.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass