Snow Report Thredbo 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
a few things in this, but 70% capacity in internal spaces at the resort and 75% of the usual instructor #'s. Gonna be some big group sizes this year!

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...mid-an-ever-present-covid-19-threat/?cs=14329

Bumper snow season looms amid an ever-present COVID-19 threat
Thredbo general manager Stuart Diver on one of the "whales" of man-made snow which will be spread out soon in readiness for the coming season start on June 12.

As the days tick down to the much-anticipated opening of the snow season on June 12, it's chefs, food and beverage staff and ski instructors who remain on the "most wanted" list for Thredbo ski resort.

Where the NSW ski slopes usually resound to instructor accents from all over the world, bellowing the common refrain of "bend ze knees", the continued closure of Australia's border to incoming internationals means over 100 regular instructors who "follow the snow" between the northern and southern hemisphere seasons are off the booking sheets.

So, too, are international chefs who do much the same thing, attracted by the lifestyle of skiing by day and working by night in the kitchen.

Planning for another Covid-affected ski season began when the lifts were closed at the end of last season, Thredbo's general manager Stuart Diver says.

With around 750 sub-lessees to manage in the alpine village, staying ahead of the game has been his key business focus.

"We made a decision very early on not to rely on any overseas staff coming in this season," he said.

"We've got a very, very limited number - it would probably be under 10 - staff coming in from overseas and the majority those are Australians returning.

"All of our instructors who are in Europe: none of them made it back.

"But we've been able to source a lot of new local instructors, which has been good."

He said the major focus as the shutout loomed large was to upskill locals to fill the gap.

But this, in turn, begs the obvious question: where did all these new local instructors come from?

"What we found was that there was a lot of young Australians who would look to travel overseas, do their gap year or whatever, and they couldn't go anywhere, either. They're stuck here," Mr Diver said.

"So we've actively tapped into that market; we've reached out to them said, 'Come to Thredbo for four months and work as a ski instructor down here'.

"And we've incentivised it by paying for their instructor training courses and their exams to try and make it attractive for them to do so."

The result, he said, was an instructor pool about 75 per cent the size of a "normal" season.

"And that's a manageable outcome, we think," Mr Diver said.

The tougher shoes to fill were the hospitality staff. But those numbers, too, were slowly filling as the season approaches.

The international border closures have also heightened anticipation for the snow season ahead after what he described as a "massive" summer of mountain biking.

"We're barely out of a very busy summer and now we're looking ahead to a very busy winter," Mr Diver said.

As part of the Event Group of hotels and cinemas, Thredbo is one of the few elements to the company which didn't take a huge Covid-related financial hit, with last year's ski resort income only down around 15 per cent on 2019.

"Having a captive market, with people unable to go overseas skiing, there's a huge demand for this season. It's looking great," he said.

Season passes have sold out and day passes were capped in number, with peak periods certain to sell out.

This year's one-day peak season adult pass is $164 a day. Teenagers 13 to 17 are $99 a day and children aged five to 12, $89.

Internal spaces at the resort will be limited to 70 per cent capacity this season, with social distancing still in place on NSW health guidelines and the wearing of masks in public spaces recommended.

"Our approach to operating will be a conservative and flexible one and we've got a number of contingency plans ready in case things change as the season goes on," Mr Diver said.

"It's the only sensible way to approach it given things can change pretty quickly, as was shown by the latest lockdown in Victoria."

easty

One of Us
Jul 1, 1999
NSW Snowy Mountains
Today I went for a walk in the Merritts area. The snow making is looking good.

Walkabout
P1020017.JPG

Dream Run
P1020009.JPG
Easy Rider, looks like the terrain park may be ready for the opening weekend.
P1020016.JPG

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Anyone doing opening weekend? Looks like it might be a goody..
yeah, the myself and the family are tragics. So we will be there. Plus we get to camp in the van so regardless of snow or not we would have been out somewhere.

Reactions: AJS

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
anyone want to have a stab at what runs will be open next weekend? Looking at the cams, it appears Walkabout and Ballroom at Merrits are close along with Friday Flat.

High Noon and Dream Run got plenty of attention from photos last weekend, are they a chance as well? @Townsend @easty @Bato ?

Reactions: Alleve

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
anyone want to have a stab at what runs will be open next weekend? Looking at the cams, it appears Walkabout and Ballroom at Merrits are close along with Friday Flat.

High Noon and Dream Run got plenty of attention from photos last weekend, are they a chance as well? @Townsend @easty @Bato ?
Depends how much snow they get. Without any snow just Friday Flat, Walkabout and Ballroom would be right.

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
I am sure they will do their best to have Hi Noon open but it will depend on the weather. Fingers crossed.

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
I've been to some opening weekends where they have Friday Flat and Merritts open on the Saturday, then they open High Noon on the Sunday. Some years I think that's to prevent them having to close High Noon after the punishment it gets on the Saturday.

Next week's forecast means they may get enough natural snow, topped up with snowmaking, to open High Noon for the entire weekend. Fingers crossed.

Bato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2005
Jindabyne/Brunswick Heads
www.facebook.com

Will all depend on how much snow we get next week.

jonathanc

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Its that time of year when they release the new trail map. Only changes I noticed are that Black Sallees has returned, the Nastar racecourse has a new premium sponsor to match the rest of Thredbo, and the upper Cruiser terrain park has migrated to the Basin for some reason.
Screenshot_20210606-005341_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210606-005251_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210606-005415_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210606-005214_Drive.jpg
Must be because the basin T-bar is never busy, need to attract some crowds there with a park :out:

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Its that time of year when they release the new trail map. Only changes I noticed are that Black Sallees has returned, the Nastar racecourse has a new premium sponsor to match the rest of Thredbo, and the upper Cruiser terrain park has migrated to the Basin for some reason.

There's also the removal of Moguls from the key (found to lookers left of the race courses in the 2020 map) as well as the obvious removal of the "new for 2020" label on Merritts

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
There's also the removal of Moguls from the key (found to lookers left of the race courses in the 2020 map) as well as the obvious removal of the "new for 2020" label on Merritts
I've skied at Thredbo every year since 2016 and I dont think I've ever actually seen the moguls in real life. Has the map ever been correct in saying that they were there?

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I've skied at Thredbo every year since 2016 and I dont think I've ever actually seen the moguls in real life. Has the map ever been correct in saying that they were there?
Daughter competed on those ice lumps at some stage through school.

J_busworth

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2017
Coogee, NSW
transportnswblog.com
The map has correctly identified the location of the oversized ice bumps Thredbo tries to pass off as moguls in the past, but they often only make an appearance around Interschools time

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Ski school fully booked out for school holidays?

Is that normal, or is it the lack of staff?

Not that I care of course, should have done my cert, could have sold tele lessons this season by the look, they will take anything!

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.

Not that I care of course, should have done my cert, could have sold tele lessons this season by the look, they will take anything!
Friends tried to book lessons for their kids at Perisher for the school holidays as soon as the lessons went online. Booked out immediately before they could grab some lessons. They’re going to try the nightmare parent teaching nightmare.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Peisher ski school sold out of lessons for the holidays in 90 minutes. They are still recruiting instructors.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums