Snow Report Thredbo 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Bato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2005
Jindabyne/Brunswick Heads
www.facebook.com
I keep hearing selwyns new snowmaking system can make snow at +4C. ROFL everytime.
Ive had our TR10 running in +4.5 but it was 15% humidity :p, I think they are getting TT10s, same gun as a TR10 snowmaking wise but has some of its guts incorporated in the tower, theres one on Friday Flat at the base of the tree island.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Another cracking day in Thredbo with amazing conditions for so early in the season.

What an absolute delight and pleasure to be on the mountain amongst all the happy faces.

Covid management at venues is excellent, check ins being required before entry. Let’s all get behind this - it’s a good plan! Check in, show your tick, and smile at the people enforcing the policy. It’s keeping us skiing instead of closing due to risk. The majority are cheerfully doing the right thing, way to go guys!!

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Upper Ballroom not open yet

1623637173292.jpeg

Looking down lower Ballroom

1623637197505.jpeg

Some of the rails setup

1623637224413.jpeg

Looking down Easy Rider T-Bar at the start of its final season

1623637260240.jpeg

Looking up Cruiser

1623637331328.jpeg

Boundary Rider in the foreground and Stanleys in the background

1623637353532.jpeg

The Bowl

1623637397592.jpeg

Looking over to Eagle Way/Black Sallees and Eagles Nest from the top of High Noon

1623637447683.jpeg

Supertrail

1623637497696.jpeg

Top of the High Noon steep section

1623637530977.jpeg

Looking up to Funnelweb and Golf Course Bowl

1623637563203.jpeg

and my map/stats for the day

1623637588608.jpeg

1623637606107.jpeg

Amazing report thanks, love the pics!!
May I ask what tracking app you’re using?

Reactions: Jonathan_P

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Day three, skied with Snow Blowy and Blowette again this morning. Or I should say Master Skull and Blowette would take off and leave the dad crew to do there own thing just waiting for us occasionally at the bottom but mostly just continuing to cut laps. The pair were unstoppable. Then bumped into a friend I grew up with and one of her youngens, so Miss Skull now also had someone similar age and ability to ski with. So they were off too, although they had a bit closer observation from the mum crew.

Conditions to start were pretty hard and fast, both the boy and I started off with a run down High Noon before heading up to Merritt's. It didn't take long for it get pretty messy. Lines were very acceptable and no problem with parking but we are early arrivers so not usually a problem for us.

No times for photos today as it was hot laps all morning. We left a bit before lunch and ended up spending a bit of time at Cooma on the way home with both the little ones scoring pretty well in the new bits and pieces department.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Day three, skied with Snow Blowy and Blowette again this morning. Or I should say Master Skull and Blowette would take off and leave the dad crew to do there own thing just waiting for us occasionally at the bottom but mostly just continuing to cut laps. The pair were unstoppable. Then bumped into a friend I grew up with and one of her youngens, so Miss Skull now also had someone similar age and ability to ski with. So they were off too, although they had a bit closer observation from the mum crew.

Conditions to start were pretty hard and fast, both the boy and I started off with a run down High Noon before heading up to Merritt's. It didn't take long for it get pretty messy. Lines were very acceptable and no problem with parking but we are early arrivers so not usually a problem for us.

No times for photos today as it was hot laps all morning. We left a bit before lunch and ended up spending a bit of time at Cooma on the way home with both the little ones scoring pretty well in the new bits and pieces department.
What an awesome opening weekend you guys have had! Outstanding!

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
We passed that just as ski patrol turned up, l was almost taken out by the patroller
did you guys ski sun or today?

I had a look out for you when we went up on sat but didn't see you again

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Ive had our TR10 running in +4.5 but it was 15% humidity :p, I think they are getting TT10s, same gun as a TR10 snowmaking wise but has some of its guts incorporated in the tower, theres one on Friday Flat at the base of the tree island.

+4C dry bulb. Thredbo have been able to do that for 20+ yrs. Pretty easy to nuke yourself with vapour though.

Making on low humidity is sketchy and temps bounce a lot.

Rare conditions and difficult to produce in.

Snowmaking runs on wetbulbs globally and you can't really quote +4C dry bulb as a marketing excercise. The people telling me seem to think selwyn are getting some super system that no one else has. When really they just don't understand wetbulb/drybulb.

I know the thredbo system better than most.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
If anyone finds me dead over the next couple of days, at least I died doing something I love.

Are cracks in the frame of my bindings a bad thing? Do you need wax, or will the slime from the redbacks I squished do the job? The rust should come off first run right?

Bato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2005
Jindabyne/Brunswick Heads
www.facebook.com
+4C dry bulb. Thredbo have been able to do that for 20+ yrs. Pretty easy to nuke yourself with vapour though.

Making on low humidity is sketchy and temps bounce a lot.

Rare conditions and difficult to produce in.

Snowmaking runs on wetbulbs globally and you can't really quote +4C dry bulb as a marketing excercise. The people telling me seem to think selwyn are getting some super system that no one else has. When really they just don't understand wetbulb/drybulb.

I know the thredbo system better than most.
Yeah. Low humidity positive dry bulb snowmaking sucks. Works on the top half of the mountain sometimes but from cat shed below it’s almost impossible to do.

Reactions: Alleve and crackson

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Yeah. Low humidity positive dry bulb snowmaking sucks. Works on the top half of the mountain sometimes but from cat shed below it’s almost impossible to do.
Warm dry air doesn't sit in the valley for very long either so it doesn't last.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Thanks to the @skull 's for a good weekend. Blowette was getting a bit whingey hanging with me when we ran into the skull family late morning sunday. I thought we were about done by midday and we ended up skiing until close. Then a big morning yesterday. We had a bit of a bad patch around lunch yesterday after the skulls left. A stern talking to and some food turned things around and we went hard until a bit after 3. Left the village a bit before 4 and had a very clear run back to Canberra. Barely below 100km/hr the whole way.

So interesting to read about congestion because there weren't many cars in the carpark when we left in the morning. The slopes were uncrowded. Lines did not exist at all yesterday - it was ski on all afternoon. Then we we got back to the car at 330pm the carpark was very quiet. Road was quiet back to canberra. What congestion? Back home by 11pm last night. Blowette slept for the last 3 hours. Bliss.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
I think next year Thredbo will really reap the rewards of their pricing structure. Pay more ski more. Simple.

Problem for me will be to convince the kiddies of that.

Reactions: crackson

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I would have had no trouble with the cost had they not burned trust last year. I was unsure there would even be a season pass after their stunt last year so went with Epic. If they don't oversell day tickets over peak season I would have no trouble stumping up for a Thredbo pass next year.

jonathanc

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
So interesting to read about congestion because there weren't many cars in the carpark when we left in the morning. The slopes were uncrowded. Lines did not exist at all yesterday - it was ski on all afternoon. Then we we got back to the car at 330pm the carpark was very quiet. Road was quiet back to canberra. What congestion? Back home by 11pm last night. Blowette slept for the last 3 hours. Bliss.
We had the same experience re: lifts and congestion yesterday. Was a brilliant first day of the season for us, got stacks of laps in with literally zero queues and had an excellent choice of terrain for opening weekend. Even smashed out a bunch of park laps and managed to stay upright after getting the speed wrong on my first park lap... knuckled the first jump hard then overshot the second jump and went almost to flat.

We rolled into the carpark at 7.30am and there were only maybe 25-30 cars tops. Then on the way home maybe a 10 minute delay at the Johnson Drive roundabout.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
There's not too many groomed resort slopes in Australia where you can't just take your skis off and walk down.That's usually my advice to the terrified punter facing uphill looking downhill with fear in their eyes
That's probably the worst advice you can ever give someone. They're better off side slipping down a slope than taking their skis off. I've seen so many outta control peeps falling, tumbling, rolling down slopes with loose skis bulleting off down the hill because someone's suggested that walking on a snowy slope is better...

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Teaching them to side slip is the safest way down. If they are in boots they will have no way of digging in like ski edges if they start to body slide downhill. An English tourist became a quadriplegic in Thredbo many years ago because of taking her skis off. She ended up smashing into a boulder and snapped her neck.
Snap... I hadn't read on when I made the above comment about taking skis off.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Fantastic day in Thredbo today. Crowds have left, straight onto lifts all day. Nice and firm on HN first up, bit soft down low. Cruiser laps were great, quiet enough for us to be doing drills. Even had a run down Friday “mountain”, soft and playful to get the newbies going.
Full day today - tireded out tonight. Dinner, bath and bed for this tired old bear, repeat tomorrow.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Fantastic day in Thredbo today. Crowds have left, straight onto lifts all day. Nice and firm on HN first up, bit soft down low. Cruiser laps were great, quiet enough for us to be doing drills. Even had a run down Friday “mountain”, soft and playful to get the newbies going.
Full day today - tireded out tonight. Dinner, bath and bed for this tired old bear, repeat tomorrow.
So jealous of week skiers

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Sweet jeebus! :p
Are you on the pay roll! :eek:

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
That's probably the worst advice you can ever give someone. They're better off side slipping down a slope than taking their skis off. I've seen so many outta control peeps falling, tumbling, rolling down slopes with loose skis bulleting off down the hill because someone's suggested that walking on a snowy slope is better...

Not necessarily. If someone has slipped into an amygdala block, it may be the only way to get them to feel comfortable. I know this from experience with +0.95 (Mk III).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums