Snow Report Thredbo 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

ithilmar

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2017
Warning for High Noon…

3AB69C9C-FD84-4A28-9FA7-E005C07429BA.jpeg

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Maybe. Is that bom? They aren't super accurate.

I'm seeing 3.1mm rain and 6.8cm snow over thursday, friday and saturday.

Forecasting fronts that far out is ok, but predicting what the front will actually deliver is fickle past 48hrs.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Wednesday and thursday night look like they will be above zero and all other nights look good for snowmaking. -5 and -4 tonight and tomorrow should put 40cm down on friday flat, merritts, high noon and dream run. If antons opens in the morning waimea supertrail should be good.

Time to start skiing I reckon.

Reactions: skull and kaegee

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
If that's supposed to be a black diamond on the sign, someone needs to have a chat to the artist about working to minimum and why their a burden on the resort and public.
I did NOT recognise it as a diamond
I honestly thought it was a representation of skiers lines ending in a massive FU at the bottom of the runLOL

Reactions: skull and crackson

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
If ski patrol are too lazy to draw a 'black' diamond, do you really trust them to save your/your childs life in an accident.

Bet the little f that did it blames the texta.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
I've seen High Noon closed for less icey conditions than today. First run at 8.30 was dangerous.

We saw a single snow shoe about a hundred metres from the top skiers left of High Noon with no one to be seen. Then saw a lady with one snow shoe on standing just above the steepest section, skiers left. Snow shoe had come off and she slid the whole flat mid section feet first face down. That's serious uncontrollable momentum. Another twenty metres and she would have gone to the bottom.

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
It’s crazy how many people are in town. So many new holiday makers on first time or rare visits. Many mentions of “I could only get one night”. Or “I wanted to come back but it’s booked out”
Our club lodge is similar. It was totally empty the week just gone, just the Wife and I, but with Covid still an issue/ relevance the booking system is check in friday or sunday only. So July/ August are a blackout. So that means car sleeps for July/ August for us apart from week booked in lodge with the whole crew. September again not an issue yet!

Reactions: crackson

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
It’s crazy how many people are in town. So many new holiday makers on first time or rare visits. Many mentions of “I could only get one night”. Or “I wanted to come back but it’s booked out”
That prompts me to ask your opinion as to when to book lift tickets?

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
That prompts me to ask your opinion as to when to book lift tickets?
As long as it’s not school holidays or a long weekend you should be right. There are a few days in the school hols that are sold out for lift passes already - capacity constraints/Covid. But I’d keep an eye if it’s a weekend you’re after.

Reactions: Lifes2good

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
At least it looks like perfect snow making weather tonight. Already down to -7C up high and no wind to speak of. The snow cams currently seem to be showing lots of guns operating on Merrits and High Noon but perhaps oddly none operating at Friday Flat.

Does anyone know how many lance guns they can now operate at the one time?

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Interesting - why fewer guns in colder temperatures? Is the compressed air less efficient?

Nah. As it gets colder the guns consume more water to maintain desired snow quality resulting in higher output.

Water pressure must be maintained and pumps can only pump a finite amount. -2 uses little water per gun and will result in <5cm over a larger area. -8 uses much more water per gun so the number of guns in greatly reduced but >20cm is possible. Colder temps allow you to run more hours of production hence the non linear relation to output.

JG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 26, 2000
Sydney
Overnight snowmaking was a winner. The best coverage all week on Friday Flat. Particularly the run out from High Noon looking much better.
Many snowball fights and excited families.
Fingers crossed they should get another full night of snowmaking tonight as well. Great for the School Holidays!

Reactions: LMB and crackson
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass