Snow Report Thredbo 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Merrits was always a download for beginners. They have the fancy new unit to ride down with now.
This.

It’s pretty lovely being able to go down the hill in Gondie comfort at the end of the day, rather than freezing on the old Merritts chair.

If you’re prepared to traverse to HN then there is the full traverse to the green meandering down alongside Supertrail. But why not ski Cruiser area hard till done then download in the Gondie. Choose your exit mid or town. It’s the smart choice on tired legs.

Personally I pick dream run over HN at the moment if it’s just about getting back to FF on equipment. Less people. Less danger.

jonathanc

toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
Where’s the run to the bottom from Merrits for intermediates? Dream Run is no easier. Traditionally the bottom of that has been as steep and icy as HN.

HN is it.

Maybe there’s a case for Thredbo to find an easier gradient run from Merrits though? Maybe a snakey meandering green from behind the restaurant there?
You can traverse over to village trail and then take sundowner back to Friday Flat.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
You can traverse over to village trail and then take sundowner back to Friday Flat.
We know that. But the low intermediate visitor to thredbo incapable of getting down HN (on this theory) won’t.

Like I say though I don’t actually agree HN is inherently dangerous for low intermediates. I think it’s the speed some low intermediates ski it at that’s the issue.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
This.
The U boat on HN is real.
Its push away shaved ice on the edges.
Sheet ice down the middle.
Its one of the reasons we ride Perisher.
That's the other thing, reckon MOST people don't know what edges are, so they never get their ski, boards done, EVER.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Where’s the run to the bottom from Merrits for intermediates? Dream Run is no easier. Traditionally the bottom of that has been as steep and icy as HN.

HN is it.

Maybe there’s a case for Thredbo to find an easier gradient run from Merrits though? Maybe a snakey meandering green from behind the restaurant there?

Traverse to Super Trail and down Sundowner is the easier choice that has always existed.

From Merrits Mountain House level down has always been chair now gondola.

Dream Run is hidden and well signed.

The HN issue is not beginner's, its intermediates and higher level skiers suddenly finding their limits in a very unforgiving ski trail environment.

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
This.

It’s pretty lovely being able to go down the hill in Gondie comfort at the end of the day, rather than freezing on the old Merritts chair.

If you’re prepared to traverse to HN then there is the full traverse to the green meandering down alongside Supertrail. But why not ski Cruiser area hard till done then download in the Gondie. Choose your exit mid or town. It’s the smart choice on tired legs.

Personally I pick dream run over HN at the moment if it’s just about getting back to FF on equipment. Less people. Less danger.
I was sitting on the old Merritts chair today. Then it started to rain so I went inside for lunch.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Traverse to Super Trail and down Sundowner is the easier choice that has always existed.

From Merrits Mountain House level down has always been chair now gondola.

Dream Run is hidden and well signed.

The HN issue is not beginner's, its intermediates and higher level skiers suddenly finding their limits in a very unforgiving ski trail environment.
I think we’re agreed it’s not a run for beginners. But I’m not seeing much of a problem with beginners - it’s the intermediates skiing beyond ability level which is what I observe to be the issue (such as it is - it’s never worried me much - I just avoid in busy periods).

Reactions: scottski

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
I think we’re agreed it’s not a run for beginners. But I’m not seeing much of a problem with beginners - it’s the intermediates skiing beyond ability level which is what I observe to be the issue (such as it is - it’s never worried me much - I just avoid in busy periods).
Except when you come across a beginner who decides to take the skis off and walk down High Noon when it’s slick ice.. have grabbed more than one of those over the years and put their skis back on and held their hands to side slide carefully down teaching them to use edges to hold and stop. Scary as hell.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I’ve had a couple of big offs on HN, all on first run, none on the steep, sticky man made at the bottom gave me my only ever double eject, no mean feat with a non release binder! I was frickin macking it till then too!

Ice I normally have figured out is there, and as a Tele I don’t use edges anyway, so I’m already adjusted to sliding on a semi controlled manner, so a bit of extra lack of control is easier to adjust to...

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

Intermediates most always ski beyond their ability where their incompetencies are either masked or exacerbated by the surface conditions.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Except when you come across a beginner who decides to take the skis off and walk down High Noon when it’s slick ice.. have grabbed more than one of those over the years and put their skis back on and held their hands to side slide carefully down teaching them to use edges to hold and stop. Scary as hell.
Same. Although I’ve grabbed boarders and got them down before.

I may also be more sensitive to it after losing an hour or two of memory being taken out on high noon last year.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Some spots could do with some safety netting tbh.
Had a few fences taken out above where I’ve been teaching on Fridays. It does slow people down somewhat, but they’d have to be pretty substantial fences to stop a high speed ice slide on HN. World Cup style netting.

Reactions: Alleve

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
To traverse to the super trail /village is a easier option for beginner skiers ?
Ok
Jennifergarner.gif

It is an easier option for all skiers, beginners meaning "can ski Merrits" so FF confident and Merrits progressing. Sign posted as green/blue and groomed daily. The drop from Sponars onto Catwalk/Village Trail is significantly wider than it once was. The hardest parts are past SG mid and Sundowner drop, as always afternoons are harder than mornings due to the "scrape factor".

jonathanc

toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
To traverse to the super trail /village is a easier option for beginner skiers ?
Ok
Jennifergarner.gif
Agree for beginner boarders as they generally struggle to hold speed on the traverses and flat bits, but it's pretty easy on skis - I've taken a scared beginner skier (who was even more scared of the old Merritt's double) that way before.

Reactions: LMB

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It is an easier option for all skiers, beginners meaning "can ski Merrits" so FF confident and Merrits progressing. Sign posted as green/blue and groomed daily. The drop from Sponars onto Catwalk/Village Trail is significantly wider than it once was. The hardest parts are past SG mid and Sundowner drop.
Yeah sure if you go up sponars.
Holding that traverse from Merritt's is the devils work. Especially on toeside.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The poignant point is here.

Sure. Its no worries. We have some exceptional skiers here offering opinions.

The majority, imo, of skiers in this country are not guided or influenced in any way by exceptional skiers.

This is particularly true of many that ski HN after 3pm

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
The poignant point is here.

Sure. Its no worries. We have some exceptional skiers here offering opinions.

The majority, imo, of skiers in this country are not guided or influenced in any way by exceptional skiers.

This is particularly true of many that ski HN after 3pm

HN = Zalis amplified

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
On Sunday we saw a runaway snowboard on dream run while we were heading up Gunbarrel - it was moving at warp speed and got airborne for about half of the pitch above the bridge. Fortunately the entire run was empty as the snow was rubbish, and the board ended up in the creek. Very lucky.

Besides that I thought everyone was very tame and sensible.
Almost got skewered for the first time ever on Sunday by a guy who left me/himself a meter of space maximum. Was skiing the flat part after the first section of the Supertrail.. if I hadn't held an edge and had chosen to be a bit lazy instead, he would've been making a decision between me and the Snowgums trees...

Definitely still some people around on the edge...

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
The biggest issue with HN is Ballroom, people ski ballroom and think hey I can ski a blue run, it’s not that hard, then they try HN. It’s a big step up and whilst I agree with @Snow Blowey early comments on progression and challenging yourself Ballroom to HN is a big jump especially in tough snow conditions.

Reactions: dawooduck and LMB

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I reckon a lot of these day skiers won’t have even got over to the Crackenback part of the hill. They drive in and park at Friday Flat day parking. If they don’t do a lesson (most won’t) they’ll head up Gunbarrel and traverse to Merrits. They’ll probably stick around there until lunch. They may do a run on Dream Run and head back up via the gondola, and maybe one down High Noon. They’ll have 5000 beers at Merrits on the balcony there with their mates for lunch. Maybe do a couple more Merrits runs. And then head back to their car the way they headed up (by and large) - down High Noon.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I reckon a lot of these day skiers won’t have even got over to the Crackenback part of the hill. They drive in and park at Friday Flat day parking. If they don’t do a lesson (most won’t) they’ll head up Gunbarrel and traverse to Merrits. They’ll probably stick around there until lunch. They may do a run on Dream Run and head back up via the gondola, and maybe one down High Noon. They’ll have 5000 beers at Merrits on the balcony there with their mates for lunch. Maybe do a couple more Merrits runs. And then head back to their car the way they headed up (by and large) - down High Noon.
I know these people.
This forum isn't reflective of the vast majority of the sking population in Australia. At all.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass