Snow Report Thredbo 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Anna and Donna .....

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Kletterer
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
There is no beer or Djs at the basin
Hence..
Not relevant
Hence Gondie.
Best Thredbo investment in forever!

The biggest issue with HN is Ballroom, people ski ballroom and think hey I can ski a blue run, it’s not that hard, then they try HN. It’s a big step up and whilst I agree with @Snow Blowey early comments on progression and challenging yourself Ballroom to HN is a big jump especially in tough snow conditions.
Sure is!

So 16yrs ago my 3rd ever lesson, first in Thredbo was a learn to turn/link turns lesson. 3hr private at Merritts. It was ICY. I fell, was intimidated, back foot, black knees. Cried.

It snowed overnight.
A lot.

Same instructor took us straight to High Noon. Transformed. Hero turns in hero snow. Linking turns happily, not in the back seat, no falls. When we got to the rollover to the steeps it was a lesson in utilising heelside then toeside falling leaf. And repeat.

Conditions matter.

No way a 4 lesson me could’ve got down High Noon when it was slick. (But of course that is exactly what the instructor told us.)

Hero snow High Noon is very different to polished marble High Noon.

Hence my vote for warning signs.
Big ones.
Planted mid track left of Gunbarrel. Will make some think again.

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
Hence Gondie.
Best Thredbo investment in forever!

Sure is!

So 16yrs ago my 3rd ever lesson, first in Thredbo was a learn to turn/link turns lesson. 3hr private at Merritts. It was ICY. I fell, was intimidated, back foot, black knees. Cried.

It snowed overnight.
A lot.

Same instructor took us straight to High Noon. Transformed. Hero turns in hero snow. Linking turns happily, not in the back seat, no falls. When we got to the rollover to the steeps it was a lesson in utilising heelside then toeside falling leaf. And repeat.

Conditions matter.

No way a 4 lesson me could’ve got down High Noon when it was slick. (But of course that is exactly what the instructor told us.)

Hero snow High Noon is very different to polished marble High Noon.

Hence my vote for warning signs.
Big ones.
Planted mid track left of Gunbarrel. Will make some think again.
Agree. Polished bottom half of High Noon and a crowd is much more Black not Blue..

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
No fight intended!! :)

SMH were reporting his school from the first reports yesterday. SMH often seems to feature the private school angle, even though as you say it’s just totally irrelevant to the terrible accident. But once out there most media just tend to copy it.

I didn’t think it aggravated the tragedy so didn’t worry about it
SMH only has one angle on private schools.

Reactions: Alleve

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
They actually have this on their MTB maps 546719BD-49C2-43D3-A64C-48A0D7C558D6.png
That’s pretty good, would be a great addition to the winter trails and could be used to highlight the fact some trails whilst marked blue are more difficult in changing conditions

Reactions: Jonathan_P
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I don’t understand why resorts don’t offer a progression chart for runs,

Would require KT to invest in the website.

I actually spotted something like that in the wild recently. At the Snow Travel Expo I picked up a trail map for Palisades Tahoe, which had this on it:
IMG_20220622_090619.jpg

I like the fact that it not only names the runs, but also the lifts.

kaegee

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Freshwater
Where’s the run to the bottom from Merrits for intermediates? Dream Run is no easier. Traditionally the bottom of that has been as steep and icy as HN.

Maybe there’s a case for Thredbo to find an easier gradient run from Merrits though? Maybe a snakey meandering green from behind the restaurant there?
Shame there isn’t an easy way track from the left side right side split on HN . The upper is a cruise except the entry when busy . Have taken people through to Antons and entered under Frostbite .
Edit Know the landscape and that is not possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathanc

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Where’s the run to the bottom from Merrits for intermediates? Dream Run is no easier. Traditionally the bottom of that has been as steep and icy as HN.

HN is it.

Maybe there’s a case for Thredbo to find an easier gradient run from Merrits though? Maybe a snakey meandering green from behind the restaurant there?
That's what gondy is for, esp mid station. I taught kids at Thredbo in 88 and 89 when Merritts was still T-Bars.

Nightmare 1: getting em up T-Bars for first time (and I'd usually bore them witless for an extra day on FF in weekly lessons to give them every chance to develop the stability to handle T-Bars).

Nightmare 2: Getting them back to FF. Traverse from T-bar top (just near where 5-ways is now) to GunB was hell and took ages. High Noon out of the question. Ah, but with Gondy, you get off at mid and ski straight back to FF. This needs to be explained to people. There needs to be an "easiest way down" route built into all maps showing it. Making a lift ride part of a green run would be unusual, but there it is

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
The bit where you've half skied, half traversed heading skiers right from top of Cruiser, but before runs like Squatters, Ballroom, Valley view start in earnest. Also just above the traverse over to Merritts from Gunny. It ain't on maps but locals call it that, unless I got it wrong
Yep the congested bit before all the runs start proper at Cruiser. The bit with the slow sign and bodies everywhere trying to decide which of the 5 ways to go.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
That's what gondy is for, esp mid station. I taught kids at Thredbo in 88 and 89 when Merritts was still T-Bars.

Nightmare 1: getting em up T-Bars for first time (and I'd usually bore them witless for an extra day on FF in weekly lessons to give them every chance to develop the stability to handle T-Bars).

Nightmare 2: Getting them back to FF. Traverse from T-bar top (just near where 5-ways is now) to GunB was hell and took ages. High Noon out of the question. Ah, but with Gondy, you get off at mid and ski straight back to FF. This needs to be explained to people. There needs to be an "easiest way down" route built into all maps showing it. Making a lift ride part of a green run would be unusual, but there it is
I do agree a nice gentle run from top of Merrits to FF should be cut (indeed said it a while back ;) ). It would be ideal, on a number of fronts.

db2567

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2018
Conditions better today , nice blue skies, little breezy up high. Squeaky snow to the right of the ballroom .
High noon loud and teeth rattling, but next to no one on it.
Does anyone know what makes these tracks?
20220622_104157.jpg

20220622_100142.jpg

20220622_104045.jpg

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
Conditions better today , nice blue skies, little breezy up high. Squeaky snow to the right of the ballroom .
20220622_104157.jpg

20220622_100142.jpg

20220622_104045.jpg
20220622_104157.jpg

20220622_100142.jpg

20220622_104045.jpg
I think the tracks were made by a hare.

Reactions: NewTurns

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I do agree a nice gentle run from top of Merrits to FF should be cut (indeed said it a while back ;) ). It would be ideal, on a number of fronts.
I am of the very firm opinion that no further snow gums should be cut en masse for ski runs anywhere in the Australian Alps, ever again, because of:

a) environmental reasons, full stop, especially with the current snow gum dieback problem, and;
b) to me it is one of the concessions we can make to the brumby advocates, effectively saying, hey, we must remove your horses to save the park but we concede that over-development of ski resort leases is also an issue

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
IMHO HN requires more detailed signage as to its condition at any given time.

So very very variable from morning runs to afternoon homeward bound.
Absolutely agree with this. And more often than not ,the conditions WITHIN a single run itself are incredibly variable. How many times have we skied HN with perfect windblown chalkie at the top, icy steep and spring slush at the bottom?

+1 Had last week's accident in the flat section in the middle. The only other really big ski accident he's had was... on HN. May 2000 – similiar early season conditions. He was standing safely in the middle of the run after the 2 steeps join and was taken out by an out of control friend. He was incredibly lucky to be able to ski away from that one.

When the HN steeps are icy and you know how to ski, it's so much easier to let them run at the bottom which is madness but that's the nature of the run.

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
To get into the Navy Lodge do you have to climb up a rope ladder dangling off the side of the building?
Some would love that, but the door code is easier. Originally the Army Lodge many moons ago, but a few of the bedrooms must have been designed by the Submariners, but great value accommodation. Very comfortable mess area and topside lounge with fireplace and a handy location.

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
Was a long queue to get into Eagles Nest for lunch. Long wait (never had to do that before). Then the bloke in front of us was asked 'Table for how many?....

'14' was the deadpan answer.

The look on the waitress' face was priceless.

Anyway we got in ahead for our 3 and now sipping a shiraz and waiting for beef goulash.

They gave up and went to Friday Flat for some quality fare.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Some would love that, but the door code is easier. Originally the Army Lodge many moons ago, but a few of the bedrooms must have been designed by the Submariners, but great value accommodation. Very comfortable mess area and topside lounge with fireplace and a handy location.
Have had some ripper parties in that big lounge with the fireplace, spent a LOT of time there.

Reactions: NewTurns

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I am of the very firm opinion that no further snow gums should be cut en masse for ski runs anywhere in the Australian Alps, ever again, because of:

a) environmental reasons, full stop, especially with the current snow gum dieback problem, and;
b) to me it is one of the concessions we can make to the brumby advocates, effectively saying, hey, we must remove your horses to save the park but we concede that over-development of ski resort leases is also an issue
Yeah don’t agree. Here we are with a near universal view (not mine) that the existing routes to FF from Merrits that people will actually use are unsafe, but we won’t consider the obvious solution. Crazy.

Plus of course population growth, increasing longevity and increasing affluence will see increased demand on resort facilities. Quite plainly resort capacity is inadequate to meet the demands of 20 years from now.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Yeah don’t agree. Here we are with a near universal view (not mine) that the existing routes to FF from Merrits that people will actually use are unsafe, but we won’t consider the obvious solution.

Both your "obvious solution" and the premise that there is no safe way down from Merritts Mountain House are a fiction.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass