Snow Report Thredbo 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Both your "obvious solution" and the premise that there is no safe way down from Merritts Mountain House are a fiction.
It’s not my premise. I think HN is fine. Isn’t it the forum consensus of which you’re part that HN is unsafe?

The solutions being propounded are things the great bulk of people won’t actually do. So it’s more of HN, or new trails.

New trails are coming. Don’t stress it. That, or resorts will escalate prices well above CPI and cap ticket sales.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Yeah. T

Yeah. The gondy was and is the obvious solution. Either that or cut hundreds of priceless healthy snowgums to make a catwalk style nightmare that no one will enjoy

At thredbo would be more mountain ash they would be clearing. Plenty of them marked for felling along the lift lines at present. These are coming down soon to avoid them falling on the lift lines. Every time there is a blow there would be hundreds of these things dropping within thredbo alone. Its not like eleventy billion of the things will grow back up to replace anything cleared.

Big park, very small footprint of cleared ski runs. Bit of perspective required.

If humans ceased tomorrow, you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence thredbo existed within 100 years. Have a look at the old charlotte pass lift line. All but indistinguishable less than 60 years on.

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
Good day out. Rain that fell didn't really have much long lasting effect on conditions. Snow up high skied quite nicely especially so in the more wind protected areas. Laps around Antons had good snow as well and untouched even later in the day.
137F33E1-29D4-4B47-B57B-D2FCDB544374.jpeg
B150EAFC-98FA-42F8-8DCF-2AE998FD872C.jpeg

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
It’s not my premise. I think HN is fine. Isn’t it the forum consensus of which you’re part that HN is unsafe?

The solutions being propounded are things the great bulk of people won’t actually do. So it’s more of HN, or new trails.

New trails are coming. Don’t stress it. That, or resorts will escalate prices well above CPI and cap ticket sales.

That "new trail" from Merrits to FF is something only a flat earther would propose.

Catch the gondola
Take the Traverse
Ski HN
Ski DR

Four choices every mother can love and which are chosen every day of the ski season.

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
Absolutely agree with this. And more often than not ,the conditions WITHIN a single run itself are incredibly variable. How many times have we skied HN with perfect windblown chalkie at the top, icy steep and spring slush at the bottom?

+1 Had last week's accident in the flat section in the middle. The only other really big ski accident he's had was... on HN. May 2000 – similiar early season conditions. He was standing safely in the middle of the run after the 2 steeps join and was taken out by an out of control friend. He was incredibly lucky to be able to ski away from that one.

When the HN steeps are icy and you know how to ski, it's so much easier to let them run at the bottom which is madness but that's the nature of the run.
I have boarded down HN 3 times - each time the first week of August, and it was absolutely crap - every time. I put it down to the fact that I would spend the morning high up, then go down HN to finish off.
Its too low, softens too easily and gets chopped up.

The last time i went down HN it had been snowing all day, all the way down to the village. Despite the cold, HN was so damaged that less than halfway down I dropped off a snowhump on my toe-side and tore my left calf - end of trip

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
At thredbo would be more mountain ash they would be clearing. Plenty of them marked for felling along the lift lines at present. These are coming down soon to avoid them falling on the lift lines. Every time there is a blow there would be hundreds of these things dropping within thredbo alone. Its not like eleventy billion of the things will grow back up to replace anything cleared.

Big park, very small footprint of cleared ski runs. Bit of perspective required.

If humans ceased tomorrow, you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence thredbo existed within 100 years. Have a look at the old charlotte pass lift line. All but indistinguishable less than 60 years on.
Alpine Ash. We don't get Mountain Ash round these parts.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Alpine Ash. We don't get Mountain Ash round these parts.
Correct. Mountain ash are generally a below 1000m tree in wet southern or western flanks of the mostly Vic alps. Alpine ash grow all along the lower slopes of the range from Thredbo to bullocks flat but from Merritts spur down to FF it’s mostly spindly snow gums. Few nice pockets of alpine ash on dream run and sundowner tho in the gullies. Anyway these are minor points. Re your other point about growback SnowBlowey, I totally accept that which is why I thumbsed-up your post. Still reckon enough is enough. I’ve become a bit of a tree hugger in my middle age and I have come to regard the snow gum as nature’s greatest miracle and I reckon we should leave ‘em alone. 100% emotion and vibe here, not much logic. How I feel but

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
That "new trail" from Merrits to FF is something only a flat earther would propose.

Catch the gondola
Take the Traverse
Ski HN
Ski DR

Four choices every mother can love and which are chosen every day of the ski season.
You missed the best option to finish a long day with the fewest skiers to dodge.

db2567

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2018
Very breezy , they still have gunbarrel open, plus the t-bars including the basin,and of course Friday flats. Didn't know the cruiser was closed until we alighted top of Gunbarrel. Husband went cruiser, then gondie, then Friday flats and repeat.
I went high noon.
High noon was soft , no crunchiness today and not busy.
Guess gun barrell will close soon , or at least should.
Plenty of rainbows again.

20220623_093138.jpg

20220623_092708.jpg

Basin closed now.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Star_Hawk

Obsessed with Stats
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2022
Not there now but how rough are the conditions on lwr runs like sundowner and lwr village trail? they look fairly rough on the cams.

db2567

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2018
Gondie on wind hold now , but they have opened slowgums. It's blowy in the village.
Is that the first time it's opened for the season.
Husband wanted to lift up the gondie for lunch( with no skis), did say no way, can imagine gondie ride up and NO way back down.
Thankfully he didn't get up there abandoned.
He also tested his MIPs helmet on a fall on the cruiser , while on his own this morning. He didn't want to go on high noon.

Reactions: LMB

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Gondie on wind hold now , but they have opened slowgums. It's blowy in the village.
Is that the first time it's opened for the season.
Husband wanted to lift up the gondie for lunch( with no skis), did say no way, can imagine gondie ride up and NO way back down.
Thankfully he didn't get up there abandoned.
He also tested his MIPs helmet on a fall on the cruiser , while on his own this morning. He didn't want to go on high noon.
Slowgums was running on the Sunday of the long weekend. With about a one hour lap time after the very first part of the morning.

andreeeeew

First Runs
Jun 22, 2022
also what's the deal with HN? I've been to thredbo about 4x and i dont remember any real issues apart from where it joins with the schuss

edit: yeah nevermind i've never seen it with ice, i can see that becoming a beginner's nightmare

andreeeeew

First Runs
Jun 22, 2022
I thought uni week was my next trip here in July immediately after school holidays.
yeah that's right, i was just meaning general uni holidays (and hence trips). All the unis running semesters (i.e. all but UNSW) have finished up with sem 1 exams now.

Reactions: NewTurns

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Friday Flat was all go today, lots of staff taking up early season lessons which was good to see! Much nicer softened snow today. Shame about the wind. And the windhold up higher.

Reactions: RustyJ and NewTurns

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
Anyone know why they have a mini excavator digging up on the supertrail just below kareela?
Busted water pipe? Sorry I stopped and looked but didn’t take a pic

• Sad
Reactions: Star_Hawk

Star_Hawk

Obsessed with Stats
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2022
Anyone know why they have a mini excavator digging up on the supertrail just below kareela?
Busted water pipe? Sorry I stopped and looked but didn’t take a pic
if it is and the snowmaking goes down again, that would be quite concerning given how early into the season we are. super trail was real rough last time that happened.

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...t/news-story/e30a98d4afd56f09402ebee1973d4e58

more details as to what happened. Also can someone explain to me as to what a spur is?
That is actually the worst news article I have ever read. I have been saying the past few years that as soon as you have some level of knowledge on a topic/subject, and then go and read a news article on it that it is full of errors. Then this piece of trash writes about "a-basin and black mountain express" and posts a picture of the "crash site" which is a photo of the summer mountain biking map of the top of gunbarrel, let alone the winter map of the actual run high noon.

A spur is a feature that you walk up towards to a high point. This too does not make sense.

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
Mostly quite a good day despite some wind hold issues. Was warm so snow was slushy and everywhere skied somewhat well if not a little heavy. Much better than the days following the last borderline snow/rain event.

Gf got hit quite hard by a snowboarder on the village trail traverse section. She was okay but the person who hit her thought her explanation of 'shit happens on the mountain' was good enough. Fcker couldn't understand that shit does not in fact happen if you're in control... Was extremely annoyed after that...

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Mostly quite a good day despite some wind hold issues. Was warm so snow was slushy and everywhere skied somewhat well if not a little heavy. Much better than the days following the last borderline snow/rain event.

Gf got hit quite hard by a snowboarder on the village trail traverse section. She was okay but the person who hit her thought her explanation of 'shit happens on the mountain' was good enough. Fcker couldn't understand that shit does not in fact happen if you're in control... Was extremely annoyed after that...
Sorry to hear that @lewis it’s certainly not a “shit happens” scenario.

It’s an apologise humbly for not being in control of your equipment and impacting another mountain users enjoyment of the hill situation.

We need to do better.
Mountain code, SMART park and just general good sense need to be seen a bit more.

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
Correct. Mountain ash are generally a below 1000m tree in wet southern or western flanks of the mostly Vic alps. Alpine ash grow all along the lower slopes of the range from Thredbo to bullocks flat but from Merritts spur down to FF it’s mostly spindly snow gums. Few nice pockets of alpine ash on dream run and sundowner tho in the gullies. Anyway these are minor points. Re your other point about growback SnowBlowey, I totally accept that which is why I thumbsed-up your post. Still reckon enough is enough. I’ve become a bit of a tree hugger in my middle age and I have come to regard the snow gum as nature’s greatest miracle and I reckon we should leave ‘em alone. 100% emotion and vibe here, not much logic. How I feel but
There actually are a small number of Mountain Ash in the gulley that Merrits Creek descends into just above the village water treatment plant. They are noticeably larger and straighter than the spindly Alpine Ash which predominate in that area.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
There actually are a small number of Mountain Ash in the gulley that Merrits Creek descends into just above the village water treatment plant. They are noticeably larger and straighter than the spindly Alpine Ash which predominate in that area.
No, the trees you think are mountain ash are alpine ash. The spindly trees are snow gums. Not the fat trunked snow gums you see up higher but snow gums nonetheless. Do the large tres you’re thinking of have strands of dark fibrous bark? My guess is yes, which make them alpine ash, sometimes aka woolybutts. Mountain ash do not, repeat do not, grow above 1100

Reactions: Slowman

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I very much doubt that, I can assure you that alpine ash are very large, very straight and certainly not spindly. The predominant trees at Thredbo are Sallees, black and white. If you reckon they are mountain ash you should tell the Parks, they aren't aware of any in NSW. Not only that, but if they are mountain ash they would be about 3 times taller than anything else there.

Reactions: Slowman
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass