Snow Report Thredbo 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
The Daily Tele yarn is so bad it's a disgrace. Absolute 100% gobbledygook. High Noon is one of Australia's steepest and highest runs? Da fark? The skier hit a spur? Huh? Merrits Spur, perhaps??? A bone spur? Who the fark knows?

And that third paragraph... say what now? A-Basin? Isn't that in Colorado? Black Mountain Express? WTF???? We skiing in Canberra now? Base Lodge?

Lower down, they've used a summer map of mtb trails to (wrongly) illustrate the accident site and it just gets worse and worse. The story is impossibly bad and speaks volumes about the demise of the craft of clear writing, not to mention basic fact checking. As a journo you have one job: get shit right. Big shit, little shit, doesn't matter. Fark me.

1655992197071.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
No, the trees you think are mountain ash are alpine ash. The spindly trees are snow gums. Not the fat trunked snow gums you see up higher but snow gums nonetheless. Do the large tres you’re thinking of have strands of dark fibrous bark? My guess is yes, which make them alpine ash, sometimes aka woolybutts. Mountain ash do not, repeat do not, grow above 1100
Yes they do have dark fibrous bark on the lower part of the trunk. I also note chookfooter‘s helpful post. So perhaps the situation is that the large ones in that gulley are, as you point out, Alpine Ash and the thinner ones we are calling spindly are actually Black Sallees with some Snow Gums starting to appear as you get higher up the slope?

Reactions: Ramshead

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Capture.PNG

Who ever would have thought that multiple resorts have a run named High Noon?

It's a piss poor attempt at journalism.
Wow. Hadn’t read the story but with the excerpt in one of the posts, was starting to wonder if someone had googled a story of an accident over there to get the right structure, but then forgotten to change everything to be locally relevant. It’s clearly someone who has no idea about snow sports or mountains

db2567

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2018
Howling wind in the village. BOM says 91km /hour gusts up top at 0630 hours. So anyone heading here from Jindy,go back to bed or have another coffee.
Maybe Friday flats will run. Even the trees at Friday flats are dancing around.
Didn't hear the kids fireworks last night( and I'm staying at the river inn), are they not on anymore?

20220624_072406.jpg

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
The Daily Tele yarn is so bad it's a disgrace. Absolute 100% gobbledygook. High Noon is one of Australia's steepest and highest runs? Da fark? The skier hit a spur? Huh? Merrits Spur, perhaps??? A bone spur? Who the fark knows?

And that third paragraph... say what now? A-Basin? Isn't that in Colorado? Black Mountain Express? WTF???? We skiing in Canberra now? Base Lodge?

Lower down, they've used a summer map of mtb trails to (wrongly) illustrate the accident site and it just gets worse and worse. The story is impossibly bad and speaks volumes about the demise of the craft of clear writing, not to mention basic fact checking. As a journo you have one job: get shit right. Big shit, little shit, doesn't matter. Fark me.

1655992197071.png

The media has covered a few stories covering issues i was well across through work experience and direct experience with the issue being discussed. Each time they have had it horribly wrong. So in this case they are discussing something you are very familiar with and you can see how wrong it is. So what you should assume is that everything you read in news and current affairs is about half right and half rubbish.

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
wow, should get Media Watch to embarrass these 'journos' and their bosses
Sent in a tip off, maybe a few other people sending one in as well will ensure it's passage

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
The media has covered a few stories covering issues i was well across through work experience and direct experience with the issue being discussed. Each time they have had it horribly wrong. So in this case they are discussing something you are very familiar with and you can see how wrong it is. So what you should assume is that everything you read in news and current affairs is about half right and half rubbish.
Can’t let the truth get in the way of a good story LOL

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Sent in a tip off, maybe a few other people sending one in as well will ensure it's passage

Had considered this myself. The hit a spur which sent him into a tree thing, when they then say clearly he was alone and there were no witnesses is a red flag to me also. How do you know what happened? As riders/skiers of that ski run on that day some of us could possibly logically surmise a few potential possibilities as to what happened, but no one knows. So why make stuff up? A spur? Seriously?

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Yes and no. I have often pondered this issue before. Proper research and fact checking will get you over the line with almost everything. You may not sound like an expert but you will sound like someone who has calmly sorted facts into a meaningful order while seeking to understand the issue themselves. This woman sounds like she did a perfunctory Google search and checked nothing, as others have noted above. If she was adjusting bindings, she didn’t even mount them on the skis first

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
With the ABC i think the journo decides what the story is, then goes out and collects information to support their position.
I did 10 years at News Corp for my sins and I’m married to an ABC manager and former journo. Happens at all media companies. Depends on the journo. Lefties do it at the ABC, righties do it at News

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Had considered this myself. The hit a spur which sent him into a tree thing, when they then say clearly he was alone and there were no witnesses is a red flag to me also. How do you know what happened? As riders/skiers of that ski run on that day some of us could possibly logically surmise a few potential possibilities as to what happened, but no one knows. So why make stuff up? A spur? Seriously?
It’s possible Ski Patrol and/or the police attending the scene determined probable cause of death after the fact. It happens all the time for road traffic accidents (ascribing a cause of death where there are no witnesses). Tyre marks etc may make that easier for a car accident, but I’m not seeing that it would be impossible to look at the scene and determine what likely happened.

Mind you, I have no idea how a spur could be relevant!

Reactions: nezumi
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
It’s possible Ski Patrol and/or the police attending the scene determined probable cause of death after the fact. It happens all the time for road traffic accidents (ascribing a cause of death where there are no witnesses). Tyre marks etc may make that easier for a car accident, but I’m not seeing that it would be impossible to look at the scene and determine what likely happened.

Oh agreed.
Ski patrol would’ve made an assessment for sure. But I’m not sure what I’m reading reads like a ski patrol statement at all. The whole spur thing…
And really… there were a lot of tracks where it wasn’t bulletproof that day, and nothing but polished marble where it was bulletproof. Trying to identify someone’s trajectory on one of the steeper solid pitches - good luck…
If there was a witness that would be a whole other ball game.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Looks like a "fireside friday" at DaBo
Sigh.
Last day for me to get in the park and practice that exam element. No luck getting there yesterday and looks like today will be the same. That’s 4 days in the last 7 thwarted but conditions, and one by work. I’m glad I took the opportunity on those other 2 days!

linked recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Wow. Hadn’t read the story but with the excerpt in one of the posts, was starting to wonder if someone had googled a story of an accident over there to get the right structure, but then forgotten to change everything to be locally relevant. It’s clearly someone who has no idea about snow sports or mountains

That's my sense of it. Copy another similar story and then forget to change the relevant bits. Awful!

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
weather looks trash today and tomorrow. I haven't got to ski the resort yet, getting antsy. I might do a day trip with the kids on Sunday.

Cecret Skier

Addicted
Jul 3, 2018
The reporting of this accident really annoys me on a whole host of levels. Inaccurate reporting like this is unhelpful to conversations I try to have with my kids about going hard when terrain and conditions permit and respecting the risks that evolve when they don't.

On a lighter side, and possibly a bit off topic, how good is the front side of A-Basin?! This thread has given me some good nostalgia for the trip I did there. Beavers (the lift) wasn't open yet and the wall was both closed and way out of my league anyway (!!) so spent my time lapping Pali front side. Such fun terrain. Probably comes as no surprise to you guys, but High Noon at A-basin seemed to me to be the easy "main highway" run back to base you would do with the kids after lessons so even that bit is wrong in the article. Anyhow, highly recommended for anyone near that side of Colorado, at least as a day trip from Denver or Keystone/Breck etc...!

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Capture.PNG

Who ever would have thought that multiple resorts have a run named High Noon?

It's a piss poor attempt at journalism.
Gotta be AI written article. Script goes looking for ski runs called Hign Noon and finds the one at A-basin. A human, you'd hope would be capable of applying the least bit of fact checking common sense to at least get continent right but a computer program will only run within its bounds.

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
^^This. I've only ever had personal knowledge or involvement in two stories that have made the newspaper. In both cases they were wrong in every important detail. I don't believe anything I read in the press.

Edit: Except perhaps the ABC, with reservation.

Reactions: Alleve

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
^^This. I've only ever had personal knowledge or involvement in two stories that have made the newspaper. In both cases they were wrong in every important detail. I don't believe anything I read in the press.

Edit: Except perhaps the ABC, with reservation.
Indeed.
2 cases I’ve known of were a disgrace. It was like a witch hunt with absolute disregard for the facts.

Reactions: Alleve

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne

Unfortunately there have been quite a few deaths on the hill when I have been skiing (Perisher). Largely they have not made the news, or minimal news.

In one instance I saw police, patrol and mountain ops come out after the event. A whole lot of photo taking, measurements, marking things with flags etc, just like you see for a death with a motor vehicle accident.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Unfortunately there have been quite a few deaths on the hill when I have been skiing (Perisher). Largely they have not made the news, or minimal news.

In one instance I saw police, patrol and mountain ops come out after the event. A whole lot of photo taking, measurements, marking things with flags etc, just like you see for a death with a motor vehicle accident.
Had 2 while we were in Telluride, one at our lodge that we had to go around while being treated/transported. Both heart attacks (one a middle aged holiday maker, the other a hard core splitboarder/instructor in his 30s who lived there.
It’s kind of a part of life…

It’s the avoidable accidents that I feel we can learn from that should be reported and discussed , at least in the ski community and within resort. The “could we take reasonable measures to reduce the chance of a repeat incident here” question.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I think you lot are being a bit harsh on the Tele, they got the whole private school thing across and that's all that is important, all the rest is puff.
Only private school kids are allowed to ski at Thredbo. Needed to emphasise that the victim hadn't snuck their way onto the mountain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass