Snow Report Thredbo 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
I’d much rather be holed up in my accommodation watching the heavens open with torrential soaking rain and gale force winds thinking its so utterly shite outside than being holed up, watching the heavens open with massive snowfall and unacceptable Avi danger but thinking OMFG, it looks so goooood, if only it wasn’t dangerous.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
You’ve spent the entire afternoon on the internet bitching about it, I absolutely don’t believe that you’re not stressing - all the researching, copying and pasting to find an angle to support your argument.

Like I said you’re on holidays, do holiday stuff. We understand you’re disappointed about losing a day skiing but you should be grateful you’re not going home with your week cut in half by Covid.
Don’t believe me or not, but I wasn’t stressed. The research took no more than googling information already researched and referenced by others (who you aren’t chastising). It turns out the data does actually support what I was seeing. I then copied and pasted that. It wasn’t me who sought it out - others did so. The googling took 20 seconds. effectively cutting and pasting took longer - maybe a minute or two.

The fact is it was less windy today than the last two days (and no doubt many others). People don’t like that? It is what it is. It’s just true.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Patiently waiting in my motel in Cooma, hoping the snow and roads hold so I can make it up tomorrow for my only 4 nights this year.
So sad about the race, too slow/unskilled to compete, but was looking forward to the champagne breaky and watching those that could.
Will check back in here early tomorrow morning for any road / danger / closure updates, please do keep them coming.

db2567

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2018
Look at BOM weather I think that raining may turn into snowing in a couple of hours. Certainly hope so.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
We had an earthquake, cyclone, flooding, covid, volcano and a Tsunami on our January holiday in Fiji,

Holiday before we were evacuated from Fitzroy due to a cyclone, and literally dropped on the wharf in Cairns.

We only had praise for the staff, tough decisions have to be made some times for the health and safety of everyone
All I'm hearing is don't go on holidays with the Zakskis!!!

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
We’re going to be with you in Canada at the same time this coming January. Should I change plans now? :eek:

Given your adventurous enough to fly Air Canada, travelling the same continent as us will be a breeze.

I believe last time we toured together the only issue was a cold snap (-35) and your son turning up to Canada with only shorts……

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
If there was snow overnight, there’s the scarcest evidence of it. Maybe a little up high?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

linked recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
It's supposed to be freezing at the top today, with the freezing level lowering through the day until reaching the village this evening - supposedly around 8:00pm for those forecasters who need the be highly specific about these things.

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
P8053940.JPG
P8053943.JPG
P8053942.JPG
P8053941.JPG

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Ok on mountain report is the snow is slushy and rain affected (derr lol) with maybe a cm or tops two of wet snow and sago snow on top.

I actually had some fun initial turns down Merritts (skiing with my wife) a couple of times down Ballroom until it was “tracked out” and then Valley View, which remained not fully tracked out when we retired for some coffee just now (along with what looks like half of Thredbo). I’m assuming Ballroom was groomed and Valley View not, with Valley view consequently giving a decent idea of snow conditions off piste. Powder Bowl, for instance, is likely to be better than it looks. Valley View has one hole mid run, but otherwise has good cover.

Saw another bloke on Woody’s Elans but I think this was one of the ducklings rather than the duck himself.

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Ok on mountain report is the snow is slushy and rain affected (derr lol) with maybe a cm or tops two of wet snow and sago snow on top.

I actually had some fun initial turns down Merritts (skiing with my wife) a couple of times down Ballroom until it was “tracked out” and then Valley View, which remained not fully tracked out when we retired for some coffee just now (along with what looks like half of Thredbo). I’m assuming Ballroom was groomed and Valley View not, with Valley view consequently giving a decent idea of snow conditions off piste. Powder Bowl, for instance, is likely to be better than it looks. Valley View has one hole mid run, but otherwise has good cover.

Saw another bloke on Woody’s Elans but I think this was one of the ducklings rather than the duck himself.

I’m at Merrits for coffee break too haha. Copper coloured jacket, black pants, blonde hair.

Off and on pelting sago. Occasional glimpses of blue sky. Both in the last minute and a half.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I’m at Merrits for coffee break too haha. Copper coloured jacket, black pants, blonde hair.

Off and on pelting sago. Occasional glimpses of blue sky. Both in the last minute and a half.

Looking looking lol

• Haha
Reactions: AJS

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Have been sitting by the windows! Heading out again, lesson at FF in 45 and want to get another run or two in before it’s too chopped up

Reactions: skull and RustyJ

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

I went up to some random stranger and said “hi”. Not you lol

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Sam’s a ripper, when he was 12 he’d lived 24 winters in a row! (His dad is hugely respected and loved race coach Tim Robbo). So fab for him to be home for the first time in 4 years, doing what he does best :love:

Tom's not half bad either. And before he fixed his heels he was a top telemark skier.

linked recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
I like the hiccup in that video - lost an edge in the middle of a deep carve at 40-50km/h approaching the Meadows. Most of us would end up sliding into the trees, and requiring a change of undies as a bare minimum. A quick pirouette works better :)

Oh! And I like that there's an app that removes the boom arm from your GoPro. Neat trick.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I remember watching an ex patroller Jake years ago, lose it, I thought he was gone, pops into the air, full 360 and back into it like he meant it. One tele ripper move Ill never forget. He was in that film "Winter Dreaming" jumping off a lot of stuff.

There is always some talent out there, even in Australia!

linked recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
So I need new goggles - where is best place to look in Thredbo village?

Nearly every shop has goggles. Two shops at VT - left and right either side of the walkway - one's a dedicated goggles and helmet store, the other carries a lot of different stuff. Snowsports in the village square has a lot of POC stuff as well as some other brands. Gravity, also in the village square. The Rip Curl shop next to Central Road at the top of the stairs near the Pub.

Take your helmet with you to test the fit.

linked recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
So, for those on the ground, what's the fairest assessment: the place has held up 'very well', 'pretty well', 'alright' or 'not so well' over the past three days? Just looking at the cameras I'm not even offering 'badly' as an option 'cause it looks better today than I thought it would going into this rain event.

Reactions: sastrugi and RustyJ
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using