Snow Report Thredbo 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I did 2 laps After lunch, the. Sat in Merritts waiting for ski school to finish :)
You weren’t wrong about it being great up there. I would have liked to have headed to GC bowl and the young bloke has done it with me before and nailed it. Today he has some new secondhand boots and he was having trouble getting his turns out. He kept wedge to paralleling today, he said the boots felt good and his feet weren’t moving around in them, so I’m not sure. He found the heavy snow a bit of an issue too. So I wasn’t confident dragging him out there

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Ooh not me, didn’t make it to the T’s today (though from the reports above that sounds like a mistake) but would have been of it the people in our crew, there’s a few of us around today! :)
I spotted heaps of those Jackets. What a great thing to get a group together! We rested our boards on the outside of your special fence at Kosi chair while we took a bathroom break - there were no spots anywhere.

• Love
Reactions: AJS
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

linked recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Got into town a bit before 1:00pm. They were turning traffic around just after the Alpine Way - seems Perisher was full - but traffic towards Thredbo was fine. It was four degrees when we drove into the village.

Unpacked the car (which was chockers) and sorted ourselves out, then met some friends for a drink. Still raining lightly in the village although the breeze has died out to almost nothing. Minus two at the top all day but we’re waiting for the freezing level to drop to the valley floor.

Wider, rockered, poppy skis prepped for tomorrow. Giddy up!

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Got into town a bit before 1:00pm. They were turning traffic around just after the Alpine Way - seems Perisher was full - but traffic towards Thredbo was fine. It was four degrees when we drove into the village.

Unpacked the car (which was chockers) and sorted ourselves out, then met some friends for a drink. Still raining lightly in the village although the breeze has died out to almost nothing. Minus two at the top all day but we’re waiting for the freezing level to drop to the valley floor.

Smart move.
I like big bumps and I can not lie…! If it’s anything like today the wider rockered skis will serve you well. Boarders we’re loving it, skiers less so.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

Yeah a wider less stiff flexing ski would have been better in the slush. Up high though the snow was somewhat drier with 5cm being about it for the new stuff

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
P8064001.JPG
P8063993.JPG
P8064050.JPG
Always a good show

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
My first early morning at FF since pre-pandemic. Holy shit!! No notable early lift line (no powder, so that’s sensible) but man is this place unusually busy. I’m assuming the need to get here early due to parking pressures means lots of people are loitering getting coffees etc waiting for lifts to open. Far far busier than I recall it being even in the era of arriving early and leaving skis in the lift line

Reactions: Alleve and RustyJ
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
My first early morning at FF since pre-pandemic. Holy shit!! No notable early lift line (no powder, so that’s sensible) but man is this place unusually busy. I’m assuming the need to get here early due to parking pressures means lots of people are loitering getting coffees etc waiting for lifts to open. Far far busier than I recall it being even in the era of arriving early and leaving skis in the lift line

I was there at 11am yesterday to move a lesson (knew I should have gone to VT instead but it was an 11:30 lesson so wanted to be there in case I couldn’t move it- I had flexibility insurance so all good) and holy sh*t I’ve never seen it like that - and I’ve spent a lot of time at all times of the day going to/from the RI in the past, so I’ve seen a lot of FF.
Hundreds of day trippers congregating near the top of the stairs. Like a mosh pit. Crazy.

In other news somehow damp in the village again.

Expecting it to be very firm this AM so going to have a bit of a later start, keen for any on mountain reports :)

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I was there at 11am yesterday to move a lesson (knew I should have gone to VT instead but it was an 11:30 lesson so wanted to be there in case I couldn’t move it- I had flexibility insurance so all good) and holy sh*t I’ve never seen it like that - and I’ve spent a lot of time at all times of the day going to/from the RI in the past, so I’ve seen a lot of FF.
Hundreds of day trippers congregating near the top of the stairs. Like a mosh pit. Crazy.

In other news somehow damp in the village again.

Expecting it to be very firm this AM so going to have a bit of a later start, keen for any on mountain reports :)
I’m just waiting for the first bulge of the lift line to move through. Should be up in 10 mins. I suspect it’s a day for groomers though, based on Reggae’s report.

Reactions: AJS

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Ok two run report (I’ve just stopped to meet my wife). Runs were Ball Room into Dream Run, then the traverse from top of Gun Barrel to Crackenback, and just down the main middle of super trail.

Dream Run and Ballroom were firm and edgeable. Perfect carving conditions. The bottom half of Supertrail was firm the way racers like firm. Edgeable ish, but will be better in 30 mins as it becomes just a touch more forgiving.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010

I’ve been uploading at FF due to kids lessons. The lesson chair is always heaving but the other one usually just ski on

Reactions: Annabuzzy

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
@sourmash shared a chair with my posse and I this morning. Good to put a name to a face (or is that a face to a name…?)

We had a cracking day playing in the bumps, lots of laughs, lots of progress.
Yes, great morning, Saturday - and nice to meet you in person @LMB !

As per above, I think more than 5cm, more like 10. Bluff down to Little Beauty holding some deep drifts and relatively untracked early on.

tempImageI9Fd05.gif

tempImagedwONzU.gif

linked recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Fun day. Hit every lift that was operating, other than Friday Flat.

Cold morning with nice, hard carving piste runs first-up, then it softened into some lovely stuff. By 2:00pm the lower hill was bumped up and heavy so I headed up to Basin and Karels. Then the cloud socked in, with low-viz and very flat light making Frank’s Face a bit of a ‘voyage of discovery’. That was followed by some ice dermabrasion on the last run down the Supertrail.

Great start to the trip. Let’s just put the last few days’ conditions behind us.

If anyone got stuck on Kosi chair with it stopped for about five mins after lunch, before they backed it up a couple of chairs, three small kids were on a chair together and they couldn’t drag down the safety bar. They really tried but they were so small they could only reach about half way up the side bar and they just didn’t have the necessary oomph to pull it down :) Two chairs in front of me (and a gathering crowd of people).

Last edited:

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Goodly day, frozen groomers to smooth round turns all over before 12 then 2hrs of sticky dampish bashable faces fun and bumps in the camo jacket.

I feel better this year than the last two, dunno just more centred with a smoother dynamic flow. ❤️

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Yep, a great day out with the crew. Went all over the hill and then some.

8977F9CE-89B9-40CC-9AC1-8048076BEEDA.png

@skifree is teaching me how to drive my new Garmin watch.

Some stats from today

C307344C-C11F-4B70-AFFF-7A120E3A4679.png

This shows where I waved the white flag for the day ;). Both @Kletterer and @skifree make it look so easy whereas I was putting in the hard yards. We stayed mostly on the top half of the hill away from the slush.

571BFF5B-4FCF-48F3-AEEB-E10AB212DA5C.png

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Yep, a great day out with the crew. Went all over the hill and then some.

8977F9CE-89B9-40CC-9AC1-8048076BEEDA.png

@skifree is teaching me how to drive my new Garmin watch.

Some stats from today

C307344C-C11F-4B70-AFFF-7A120E3A4679.png

This shows where I waved the white flag for the day ;). Both @Kletterer and @skifree make it look so easy whereas I was putting in the hard yards. We stayed mostly on the top half of the hill away from the slush.

571BFF5B-4FCF-48F3-AEEB-E10AB212DA5C.png

Try heart rate Vs speed.

• Haha
Reactions: Kletterer

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Great weekend after missing the last few due to sickness then work.

Drove down Saturday morning leaving home around 5am rather than the usual Friday night. Traffic wasn’t too bad heading down. Only a couple of sections where we got stuck in a chain going slow with the front vehicles not wanting to overtake but so close to the car in front making it difficult for those who did want to overtake. Then of course speeding up at the overtaking lanes. A couple of km out of j town we hit a bit of a conga line due to a fuel tanker.

Anyway through jindy at 7:22 and there was a good number of people about heading to the mountains. Turning off onto alpine way it was smooth sailing. Got into the Thredbo carpark around 7:50 (so not our regular spot) and then had breakfast and got ready. On the slopes by 9.

Saturday conditions were interesting. Started the day skiing with master skull on Anton’s and Sponars. Might have been a couple ropes ducked but without @snowblowy to lead me astray I wasn’t too rebellious. Also I thought might be too soon to teach my almost 10 year old to get up poaching just yet.

Some nice untracked runs around but the snow was pretty wet and heavy. Making it a bit hard for the younger bloke. We skied down a few lower sections and it was filthy. So the family called hot chocolate times and we headed to cascades for early lunch only to find out they don’t do lunch anymore. So ended up at the pub. We also dropped the skis off for a tune and wax.

In the afternoon the boy and I headed up and did laps of Karels and franks face. This was awesome. Plenty of fresh snow still up there and want to wet. I would have like a crack at GC bowl but the boy was struggling a bit with the heavy snow. We cut through the high side of cannonball which was great but then the bottom half was balls.

The kids finished up the day with a swim and a slide. The pool heating is broken so it was freezing. Didn’t stop the grommets thought. Drove up over dead horse gap before it got dark and looks like word has gotten out this is the toboggan location. Plenty of snow play up there hanging a great time.

Since our camp ground booking was canceled we made alternate arrangements for location which worked really well. Also Big thanks to the offer from a forum member.

Sunday. Out of our camp spot at 6:30 and back in the Thredbo carpark by 7 for the breakfast routine. Super organised today and found ourselves lined up at #deathbarrel before 8:10. Waved at @dawooduck and headed up to start with the glades and dream run which was pretty sweet, then a hot lap of high noon. They only groomed part of HN which was a bit meh. The crowd this morning was probably the biggest I’ve seen it but still flowed quickly.

There wasn’t really any snow last night which was a bit disappointing. The kid and I hit Anton’s and sponars most of the morning where there were a few good spots to get into then over to merritts where after a HC stop miss skull took me on laps of the bowl and through the trees to boundary riders then down the terrain park.

We headed to Eagles Nest for lunch and more HCs (best hot chocolates on the mountain). Then the family headed up to the bell and we did the super trail back to FF before calling it a day

1900B869-4787-4162-9062-E34C5EE7D3D8.jpeg
62EDEF19-270E-4D16-B1CB-A44166176BF1.jpeg
EB2ECC7E-032A-4530-8E1E-6F553C7D659E.jpeg

9238D461-5981-44F5-AC50-68A52E86AEB5.jpeg

9413B299-C9D2-4F09-9A11-36E45262F1ED.jpeg

D7BF3BC9-BBA3-4089-B68D-0FF9E4DDB6EC.jpeg

5F20FDCE-C213-44A4-8F4B-29A65E461F98.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using