1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo Accommodation Model

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by gareth_oau, Jun 21, 2017.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I've noticed that the vast majority of accommodation in Thredbo (and other resorts) is only available to rent for a 2 day weekend, a 5 day weekday, or 7 days, arriving Sunday or Friday night.

Quite strict applications.

There's only a couple of places that offer 1 night or mid-mid week for example.

Why are all the rental places so hard and fast on this? I'm assuming its around the availability of cleaners and the desire to only employ them casually twice a week?

I'm sure there is a big number of potential visitors that don't fit into the Thredbo model,and the market seems to be mostly ignoring them.

I know that Thredbo is almost a ghost town in the non-snow season, so I'm wondering why more of them dont relax a bit and try and entice visitors outside of their model?

2. silva

silva One of Us

I think that Thredbo would surprise you in the non-snow season. There are several weekends each summer where you need to book accommodation well in advance or you miss out. With the growing mountain bike crowd as well as their very effective marketing of "climb to the top of Australia" and family adventure holidays as well as several festival style weekends Thredbo is actually increasingly busy over summer.
    The 5 day, 2 day, 7 day model does not apply over summer though (thankfully) all the accommodation we have booked is flexible about booking though the summer months - some do have 2 night minimums though and over the xmas/new year and Easter breaks I know some places have 3 night minimums.

Untele-whippet and NewTurns like this.
  3. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Thredbo is in a national park so there are significant barriers to achieving increased capacity in bed numbers due to controls on development, thus favouring incumbent service providers with high occupancy rates at busy periods.

4. WhistlerDP

WhistlerDP Hard Yards

And limiting the options for the starts and ends of bookings makes it easier to get periods of 100% occupancy

currawong and ladycamper like this.
  5. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher and Charlotte Pass are (or were last time I had to stay) the same. I think they do it just to make life easier for themselves, turnover all the rooms on the same day. And because they can!

coolair likes this.
  6. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

This. It's a bustling little village most weekends and school holidays through summer.

NewTurns likes this.
  7. newman

newman Addicted

None of these change these replies change the fact that the model is incredibly annoying.

I want to go midweek. I want to combine midweek and weekend.

I am a customer! Take my money!!

There's been plenty of times where I've had a couple of days where I can hit it but they don't fit the model so I've just canned going altogether.

8. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Tent

ladycamper likes this.
  9. newman

newman Addicted

I'm too soft for that.

LMB likes this.
  10. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

They can do because they can and the problem with any day bookings is you end up with lots of gaps of a day or two or three ,especially mid week and it becomes very difficult to let them out..
    .If you get really good bookings , its a no brainer.

11. newman

newman Addicted

Yeah I know. But in the day of lastminute.com surely it can't be that bad?

12. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Been like that for as long as I can remember.......40 years.

AJS likes this.
  13. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Yes but not as effective as majority of guests do not reside close to the destination. It would achieve some bookings but entail risk and I think they prefer the current model as it locks you in to pay a lot and is low risk for their businesses.

14. Me+3

Me+3 Hard Yards

There is a fair few places in Jindy that offer 1, but mostly 2 night stays for mid-week... and into the weekend... just shop around. If your just after a comfortable place with a shower, bed & somewhere to dry some gear.. there is heaps of B&B's that'll suit.. and include a hearty breaky too :) And no.. I'm not going to tell you where ;)....

ladycamper likes this.
  15. Me+3

Me+3 Hard Yards

Same model applies in most holiday destinations - particularly around school holiday periods.
    Why would the snowy region be any different?

16. alexd

alexd One of Us

Even the YHA requires 2 night stays, even for the dorm rooms. Although they might be willing to fill an empty dorm bed for a night, on the night, if you ask (I haven't tried this).
    If you're really keen on midweek/single day trips, you'll have to camp basically. Yeah, it requires some gear and some toughness, but you could get something like a camper trailer to make it nicer for you. Shower at the Leisure Centre. You'll save heaps camping too. That's my main reason for doing it.

17. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us

The club lodges tend to operate this way as well only taking midweek and one night bookings well after bookings have opened for the first time.

18. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Been that way for 50 years, all resorts are the same during mid and high season. Other 'high-season' style destinations also do the same (especially min 2 night Fri & Sat), however Ski resorts are hanging onto this old-school holiday driven approach.

If you were running a lodge, you would likely do the same during mid & high season. It's a 'holiday' destination after all.

Taking a 2 night Tue & Wed booking will likely 'cost' you the opportunity of a five or seven night booking - and will most definitely cost you either the Mon night or Thu night (or both) as vacancies.

This is not city hotels or highway motels, the 'yield game' is completely different.

That said, I personally think a lot more of the properties that are well suited to the 'city hotel' approach could be being more flexible. There are some, Snowbird Inn at Hotham comes to mind.

19. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I could be wrong, but I think the Thredbo Alpine Hotel does a conventional booking system.

Ozgirl likes this.
  20. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This^^^, Cleaners are very difficult. We lease our place through KT, info / booking center and they do a pretty good job, charge a fortune but that's a different issue. Every year toward mid August when people are tired from partying etc cleaning becomes an issue. We used to always book late August and had to often wait until 3pm to get into our own unit because there wasn't enough cleaners or enough reliable cleaners to get the units turned over. The cleaners aren't cheap either, if we let the unit for a single night we might make $20 (if that) after paying booking fee's and cleaners, it isn't worth it which is why in summer we offer three nights for the price of two.

You would be surprised by the summer bookings as well, the place is generally bubbly most weekends now and is fairly pumping on the long weekends and in easter etc.

That said you would be surprised the number of places that do accept bookings outside the 2, 5 or 7 slots, I know we have accepted a few bookings outside of these but they are generally 4, 6 or 8 day bookings.

The problem is that if you accept a strange booking it might mean that you miss out on other bookings because you can't fit other people in, remember we are trying to maximise the money we make i.e taking a four day weekend booking might mean you can't book people in the week before or after. That said, if it was genuine last minute thing and you were trying to book for accommodation that week and we had a few odd days that fit you, I would be surprised if nobody took your booking as long as it was for two or three days.

21. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It does!

And lots of accom in Jindy does it too!

I have also been able to get extra nights in both thredbo and Perisher during september. so 4 night weekends or 3 night weekends.

22. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I've most certainly been accomodated for differing options at The Denman, but they also have #night minimums at certain times with certain deals.

It's world over.
    I needed accom in France that spanned across 2 standard holiday week stretches. I booked 2 nights in Cham at a hotel that did 2 night minimums, arrived a day after the 1 week package booking in Tigne commenced (check in staff were all...ohhh we wondered if you were coming, did you miss a flight...) and bailed 2 days before the package ended (what? Really? You're not staying the last 2 days?).

23. gareth_oau

but if they offered a more flexible model, and marketed accordingly, then the market will respond

I wanna roll up and do three days or four days right now, I cant

24. gareth_oau

true, so lastminute.com doesnt prevent people from booking well in advance, but also captures those last minuters as well

ladycamper likes this.
  25. gareth_oau

yep, that and Denman I think are the only two?

26. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Over the last few years Falls has seen more places offering more flexible bookings. (The club I'm in is not one of them unfortunately, but if we can fill beds in peak times with the old model,it's hard to justify jeopardising that). I think research(by rmb and others) shows that the average stay is 3-4 days, with 5- 7 day stays falling in popularity. Some of the marketing over the last few years has been aimed at getting people to stay 3 days instead of 2, 4 instead of 3...

27. gareth_oau

I agree if the current model is working, but looking at the current snowcams, I'm wondering how many customers are being turned away because they are full?

28. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

29. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Its surprising that they dont allow mid week bookings from the opening W/E to this Friday , but from this weekend the school holidays start and pretty well go right through till mid July , depending on where you live and the type of school, its pretty well absolute peak season . We only allow 2,5 or 7 day bookings and we were booked out 6 weeks ago.
    Its only towards the end of July that the booking rules change and we allow mid week bookings, many dont,and the way the market has been going the last few years , we will do the 2 ,5 and 7 day bookings right through to mid August in future years
    You only need 1-2 nights each week that cant be booked, due to mid-week bookings and over 1 month your occupancy rate drops by about 25%.
    It really depends on how good/or bad the market is, and at the moment with the cheap season passes and strong Sydney economy with everyone feeling rich due to strong house prices, business is booming.
    And unless you have your own in-house cleaners , its not worth taking a booking for one night, by the time you a pay a 15-20% management fee and then a $150 cleaning and linen change fee there is very little left.
    It works for B&Bs,hotels and motels, where they do their own cleaning and all the rooms are bunched together.
    But to clean apartments spread over a small town you also need a vehicle

#29 WaitAwhile, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    gareth_oau likes this.
  30. 73RNR

73RNR Early Days Ski Pass: 30 Day

this is the thing right

31. 73RNR

73RNR Early Days Ski Pass: 30 Day

This is also the thing right

and this...

32. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

With the inrease in summer demand and the softer prices in Thredbo, are we anywhere near a decent rental yield yet?

33. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Try the club lodges that allow outside bookings. The club we are in, Schuss, had strict booking rules when we joined over 20 years ago. But these have been relaxed and you can make mid-week bookings now.

gareth_oau likes this.
  34. AJS

AJS One of Us

In my experience-

Thredbo Alpine and YHA both have flexible bookings but 2 night minimum stays. At either end of the scale I've had multiple stays at both in a variety of room types and very much enjoyed them. As a last minute booking you may be stretched to find something at the YHA on a weekend though unfortunately, Alpine would be an easier bet for last min accomms.

I agree that if you can pre-book (months in advance) and turn over all of your check outs just 2 days a week (eg: Friday and Sunday mornings) and refill the rooms that afternoon during peak season, it would be hard to convince me of the merit in taking advance odd mid-week bookings unless they were a last minute hidden sale to fill an unoccupied room.

35. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Maybe stay in the plane a couple more hours and go to NZ, they have snow and will take your money. LOL

36. gareth_oau

Yep in all those on-snow accommodations ;)

37. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Glad you've got your priorities right. :thumbs: LOL
    Thredbo has so much "on snow" accommodations at the moment. LOL

#37 Zimboo, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  38. gareth_oau

I wasnt looking at travelling at the moment LOL

39. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

"I wanna roll up and do three days or four days right now, I can't" ??????? LOL

40. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

The same is everywhere. Can only book 7 nights minimum in coastal locations during peak Summer. Apart from motels.

41. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I can understand it is to avoid odd vacant nights, but I'm always pleasantly surprised that when we go to NZ ski towns we can book any nights we want.

42. gareth_oau

Quoting out of context. Oh tut tut LOL

Do you think this is the internet or something? LOL

43. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Sorry, when I read "right now" I thought you meant "right now". :) Have fun in Thredbo if you decide to go.

gareth_oau likes this.
  44. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

When my wife says right now, it usually means at least an hour.

zac150 and Zimboo like this.