1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo Air-Bag Jump for 2010

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by BOARDWORLD, May 3, 2010.

1. BOARDWORLD

BOARDWORLD Hard Yards

Riders are you ready to fly high in Thredbo this season? Thredbo in partnership with Monster Skate park will introduce the Thredbo Monster Bagjump for winter 2010, the latest training tool in winter action sports.

This is the first of its size in the country - it’s a 20 metre x 20 metre huge air filled cushion, with a durable bomb proof cover. The Bagjump was initially used by the pro’s in the stunt world, but in Thredbo, the park crew will position it behind a kicker then intermediate and advanced riders can push their limits - practising jumps, spins and flips with confidence and most importantly, safety.

The Thredbo Monster Bagjump comprises of six multiple chamber airbags, so it provides the perfect catch however and where ever you land. It catches any landing style and it has often been described as like landing in a big bag of marshmallows. Safety is paramount and that is the highlight of the Bagjump, it’s a great chance for intermediate and above skiers and boarders to take their riding to a new level in a safe environment. All participants must first earn their wings by participating in the Bagjump Safety Clinic, conducted by Thredbo Snow Sports School. Once completed riders are ready to fly and try their favourite tricks, with Flight Passes purchased on a per day basis.

The Moster Air bag will be situated close to where Thredbo’s original halfpipe was built in the 80’s and in perfect view of those riding the Kosciuszko Chairlift.

Thredbo’s Snow Sport School General Manager Adam Hosie, believes the new Bagjump will take on-snow learning to a whole new level. “This is one exciting addition to Thredbo. Skiers and snowboarders can now experience the twisting and turning thrills of big air without any of the landing pains. The controlled environment of the Bagjump is the perfect progressional step to that next big move in the parkâ€

Snow goers will love the location, it will be tucked into a loop near the Rossignol Race Course, just off the Supertrail. Riders of the Kosciuszko Express, will get a birds eye view and become instant action sports spectators gaining a unique perspective as Thredbo Resort and Monster Skate park help to develop the next generation of Aussie superstars.

The Thredbo Monster Bagjump is a partnership with Monster Skate park at Sydney Olympic Park and Thredbo, giving riders access to jumping all year round. The first flights on the Bagjump take place in Thredbo in July and will run through to September before it moves back to Monster Skate park for the summer.

The Bagjump at Thredbo this year is a huge step forward for action snow sports training in Australia. The ability to practice your tricks with a safe landing is going to improve the progression of the sport and the confidence of riders as they pull off tricks that they have always dreamed of. Most importantly mum’s, dad’s, mates and partners can rest easy knowing that their adrenaline fuelled loved ones, who go large and lofty, will land nice and softly on the new Thredbo Monster Bagjump.

Article on Boardworld

#1 BOARDWORLD, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. SnowAndrew

SnowAndrew One of Us

Interesting to see how much it costs for people to use - that will dictate how well it is used I think.

3. BOARDWORLD

BOARDWORLD Hard Yards

They had one at Baw Baw last year. It was $5 a jump. By the sounds of the article it will be an all-day pass. Either way it's money well spent. [​IMG]

#3 BOARDWORLD, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  4. SCHUSS SKI TEAM

SCHUSS SKI TEAM One of Us

Oh no not again.
    1st of all these are free in all the other places i've been to in the world.
    2nd I hope it is not in a place where it will be in my way of skiing. By the sounds of it, it is going to be.
    Remove the rider cross from the super trail while you are at it please.

Otherwise it is an awesome idea.

5. Jay21

Jay21 First Runs

I am pretty keen to give this one a go. Even if i only get one day pass all season i'm sure i will enjoy pushing my limits.

6. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

the article also states you have to do a safety course beforehand - i'm sure quite a few wont be bothered

7. K10

K10 Hard Yards

Surely you can ski somewhere else?...it wont take up the whole mountain will it?

I think the more of this stuff Thredbo can do the better
    The rider cross was a great feature last year but was too short ...should have started higher up he hill

They need more fun terrain parks and jumps rather than only ridiculously sized jumps for comps

#7 K10, May 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  8. BOARDWORLD

BOARDWORLD Hard Yards

#8 BOARDWORLD, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  9. andc

andc First Runs

this is great
    gives people the confidence to try spins/flips with a soft landing before charging the real thing
    the ridercross course was fun last year, but it was shite house! the location is good to mix up the supertrail, its in a good spot IMO as its a pretty shite section of the supertrail. Dont like it? head right or left!

10. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I see they have a cam on it now on the Thredbo site. But I cant see it ATM, they pack it up every night? Pretty cool if you chance to look at the cam while someone is in the air.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Hard Yards

It's re-inflated every morning, as it's requires an air input to keep inflated.

12. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

cost is $10 a jump......or free if you jump when its not inflated.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee splat

#12 BigWaveDave, Jul 6, 2010
  13. andc

andc First Runs

checked out the video, looks AWESOME!

14. SCHUSS SKI TEAM

SCHUSS SKI TEAM One of Us

I was there for the last 2 days, and i could only see it being used once. $10 a jump? Seriously too much. If Thredbo was smart they should make it free and use it as a promotional item. The extra sales of day passes resulting from this would pay for the investment, stealing punters from the Perisher market.

15. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

theres an induction clinic cost of $40

and you canbuy multiple jump tickets, for example 10 jumps for $85

if you only do one jump, for $50, thats an expensive 30 seconds (including approach time etc)

16. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

hehehe... of course there would be (like the Mountain bike 'induction') - cashing in and trying to eke more $$$$$. Induction, schmuction....not needed!

If they really want to make this popular (and profitable), rope it off, set up a entry station and charge $5 a pop. I reckon this is going to be a 'spur of the moment' thing - a bunch of mates all riding the chair and saying yeah lets have a crack at that! Line up at the top, pay your $ and have a lash. All jumpers must go off the smaller jump first (to prove they can handle the ski-in and for safety reasons) and anyone who wants to go off the big jump must have done 3 small jumps first (and then gets a special armband indication they're OK to go big). Buy 15 jumps for $50 or whatever.

Looks like fun but it seems like they've put too many roadblocks up and they may struggle to get enough people

#16 BigWaveDave, Jul 7, 2010
  17. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Didn't Nate Johnson brteak his leg on one?

18. Phalanx

Phalanx Hard Yards

BigWaveDave, there is very limited supply so they have priced it to try and keep demand relative to this. You can't jump a lot of people on this at once.

19. 3decks

3decks One of Us

I heard on the rumor mill someone broke a neck as well?

Can anyone confirm?

20. Phalanx

Phalanx Hard Yards

Heard about it a while ago. Jumped off the side of the bag apparently.

21. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

More than one damaged spine has resulted from the Bag Jump.

Many, many more have been broken in the park.

And even more injuries have happened on groomed runs.