Thredbo Air-Bag Jump for 2010

BOARDWORLD

Hard Yards
Dec 1, 2009
www.boardworld.com.au
Riders are you ready to fly high in Thredbo this season? Thredbo in partnership with Monster Skate park will introduce the Thredbo Monster Bagjump for winter 2010, the latest training tool in winter action sports.

This is the first of its size in the country - it’s a 20 metre x 20 metre huge air filled cushion, with a durable bomb proof cover. The Bagjump was initially used by the pro’s in the stunt world, but in Thredbo, the park crew will position it behind a kicker then intermediate and advanced riders can push their limits - practising jumps, spins and flips with confidence and most importantly, safety.

The Thredbo Monster Bagjump comprises of six multiple chamber airbags, so it provides the perfect catch however and where ever you land. It catches any landing style and it has often been described as like landing in a big bag of marshmallows. Safety is paramount and that is the highlight of the Bagjump, it’s a great chance for intermediate and above skiers and boarders to take their riding to a new level in a safe environment. All participants must first earn their wings by participating in the Bagjump Safety Clinic, conducted by Thredbo Snow Sports School. Once completed riders are ready to fly and try their favourite tricks, with Flight Passes purchased on a per day basis.

The Moster Air bag will be situated close to where Thredbo’s original halfpipe was built in the 80’s and in perfect view of those riding the Kosciuszko Chairlift.

Thredbo’s Snow Sport School General Manager Adam Hosie, believes the new Bagjump will take on-snow learning to a whole new level. “This is one exciting addition to Thredbo. Skiers and snowboarders can now experience the twisting and turning thrills of big air without any of the landing pains. The controlled environment of the Bagjump is the perfect progressional step to that next big move in the parkâ€

Snow goers will love the location, it will be tucked into a loop near the Rossignol Race Course, just off the Supertrail. Riders of the Kosciuszko Express, will get a birds eye view and become instant action sports spectators gaining a unique perspective as Thredbo Resort and Monster Skate park help to develop the next generation of Aussie superstars.

The Thredbo Monster Bagjump is a partnership with Monster Skate park at Sydney Olympic Park and Thredbo, giving riders access to jumping all year round. The first flights on the Bagjump take place in Thredbo in July and will run through to September before it moves back to Monster Skate park for the summer.

The Bagjump at Thredbo this year is a huge step forward for action snow sports training in Australia. The ability to practice your tricks with a safe landing is going to improve the progression of the sport and the confidence of riders as they pull off tricks that they have always dreamed of. Most importantly mum’s, dad’s, mates and partners can rest easy knowing that their adrenaline fuelled loved ones, who go large and lofty, will land nice and softly on the new Thredbo Monster Bagjump.

Article on Boardworld

Last edited by a moderator:

BOARDWORLD

Hard Yards
Dec 1, 2009
www.boardworld.com.au
They had one at Baw Baw last year. It was $5 a jump. By the sounds of the article it will be an all-day pass. Either way it's money well spent.
smile.gif

SCHUSS SKI TEAM

One of Us
May 24, 2004
Oh no not again.
1st of all these are free in all the other places i've been to in the world.
2nd I hope it is not in a place where it will be in my way of skiing. By the sounds of it, it is going to be.
Remove the rider cross from the super trail while you are at it please.

Otherwise it is an awesome idea.

Jay21

First Runs
Apr 15, 2009
I am pretty keen to give this one a go. Even if i only get one day pass all season i'm sure i will enjoy pushing my limits.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

K10

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney
SCHUSS SKI TEAM said:
Oh no not again.
1st of all these are free in all the other places i've been to in the world.
2nd I hope it is not in a place where it will be in my way of skiing. By the sounds of it, it is going to be.
Remove the rider cross from the super trail while you are at it please.

Otherwise it is an awesome idea.

Surely you can ski somewhere else?...it wont take up the whole mountain will it?

I think the more of this stuff Thredbo can do the better
The rider cross was a great feature last year but was too short ...should have started higher up he hill

They need more fun terrain parks and jumps rather than only ridiculously sized jumps for comps

andc

First Runs
Jun 26, 2009
this is great
gives people the confidence to try spins/flips with a soft landing before charging the real thing
the ridercross course was fun last year, but it was shite house! the location is good to mix up the supertrail, its in a good spot IMO as its a pretty shite section of the supertrail. Dont like it? head right or left!

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I see they have a cam on it now on the Thredbo site. But I cant see it ATM, they pack it up every night? Pretty cool if you chance to look at the cam while someone is in the air.

Phalanx

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2005
It's re-inflated every morning, as it's requires an air input to keep inflated.

SCHUSS SKI TEAM

One of Us
May 24, 2004
I was there for the last 2 days, and i could only see it being used once. $10 a jump? Seriously too much. If Thredbo was smart they should make it free and use it as a promotional item. The extra sales of day passes resulting from this would pay for the investment, stealing punters from the Perisher market.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
theres an induction clinic cost of $40

and you canbuy multiple jump tickets, for example 10 jumps for $85

if you only do one jump, for $50, thats an expensive 30 seconds (including approach time etc)

BigWaveDave

Addicted
Jun 7, 2010
Sunshine Coast
www.surfshots.com.au
gareth_oau said:
theres an induction clinic cost of $40

hehehe... of course there would be (like the Mountain bike 'induction') - cashing in and trying to eke more $$$$$. Induction, schmuction....not needed!

If they really want to make this popular (and profitable), rope it off, set up a entry station and charge $5 a pop. I reckon this is going to be a 'spur of the moment' thing - a bunch of mates all riding the chair and saying yeah lets have a crack at that! Line up at the top, pay your $ and have a lash. All jumpers must go off the smaller jump first (to prove they can handle the ski-in and for safety reasons) and anyone who wants to go off the big jump must have done 3 small jumps first (and then gets a special armband indication they're OK to go big). Buy 15 jumps for $50 or whatever.

Looks like fun but it seems like they've put too many roadblocks up and they may struggle to get enough people

Phalanx

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2005
BigWaveDave, there is very limited supply so they have priced it to try and keep demand relative to this. You can't jump a lot of people on this at once.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

spaz

Hard Yards
Jul 19, 2007
NSW
More than one damaged spine has resulted from the Bag Jump.

Many, many more have been broken in the park.

And even more injuries have happened on groomed runs.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass