1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Thredbo All Mountain Camp 2015

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Tony M, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Tony M

Tony M First Runs

In 2006 I participated in the Thredbo SLAP 5 day course. I had terrific fun and improved greatly. Not long after, my wife lost her job and we became more financially cautious. I traded skiing for volleyball, then taekwondo. Fast forward 10 years, I just spent 5 days at Falls Creek. No snow, spent the whole week skiing one run. I'm totally hooked again. 1 lesson was all it took. I'd love to do another week long program.

It looks like the SLAP program is now called the "Rossignol All Mountain Camp". They also run a Masters GS Training Camp, but that starts on Jul 20, I think I'd rather allow time for more snow. So a bunch of questions:

1) One camp starts 2nd August 2015, the other, 9th August. Any reason to pick one over the other?
    2) Wheres a cheap place to stay for Thredbo single bedroom accommodation? When I ski I don't have energy to do more than ski, eat and sleep.
    3) I'm still using the same boots I purchased after my first trip 15 years ago. I got bad advice and the boots are far too big for me. Who do you recommend I see to get a proper boot fitting, either in Sydney or Thredbo? I'm happy with rental skis but really want a well fitted boot. Who do the instructors and racers get to fit their boots?
    4) Any other advice regarding training camp prep or travel? (I will train to get fit/strong prior to the trip)

My skiing history in case its relevant:
    Started at skiing at age 25. Skied for a couple of weeks every year for about 7 years, mostly in Queenstown and Austria. Had a couple of private 1 hour lessons each trip, plus that SLAP. Currently 40 years old. I'm comfortable on all terrain but don't have much experience skiing below the tree line. Only participated in one race (a GS as part of the SLAP program), and I really enjoyed it. I'm a nerd who really enjoys thinking about technique and body mechanics.

2. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

@Tony M I chatted with Tom Gillie about this a while ago and:

1) Whenever the snow will be best.
    2) Nowhere. Thredbo is expensive.
    3) Get new boots in Jindabyne (more choice for boot fitters) and is close enough to Thredbo to get them adjusted as necessary. Will let others more recent knowledge suggest who since Richard Mould retired.
    4) Be fit to get the most out of it. try and get there a day of two early to find your ski legs and get your boots sorted.

And if I make it down (snow dependent) I will most likely be doing the GS Masters rather than the all mountain camp, which I have done twice before (2005 and 2009?)

3. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

If you go to Jindy Sports for your boots they are at both Jindabyne and Thredbo. Andy normally does the fitting at Thredbo but I have had footbeds done by Peter. To be honest I can't see the point of going to Jindy Sports Jindy if you're staying in Thredbo. Maybe call and ask? Maybe they have more stock at Jindy?

As for accomodation and fitness tips I'm no help. That's peak season so modestly priced accomodation won't exist on mountain. You could consider a b&B on the road into Thredbo like Bimblegumbie? It's about 15 minutes drive to Thredbo from there.

kaegee likes this.
  4. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

1) Snow in August
    2) Nothing "cheap n single" in Thredbo. Try jindabyne or pay.
    3) First tracks in Jindy, Harris at Lake Crackenback, Jindy Sports at Thredbo.

5. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Skied a few runs last w/e with a 40 yr old Canberra man who bunked up at the Youth Hostel. Said 80 a night .
    Also Kaos tours may be able to slot you in somewhere in Thredbo.

#5 kaegee, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    spaz likes this.
  6. AJS

AJS One of Us

Or Oz Snow at The River Inn.

7. Adamski

Adamski Hard Yards

The River Inn ain't cheap.

spaz likes this.
  8. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

Aneeki Lodge - I've heard it's the cheapest in Thredbo or YHA.

There's always the Carpark.