Thredbo Announces Concept Plan for Mountain Biking

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
This sounds great to me!

http://www.thredbo.com.au/summer-activities/biking/

LATEST NEWS - Thredbo Announces Concept Plan for Mountain Biking
Mountain Biking in Thredbo is set to reach new heights in 2013 with more trails, more bikes and plans to create a world class trail network.

Renowned trail designers, World Trail, have commenced work on the new Thredbo mountain bike Concept Plan, that will see Thredbo become one of the country's most iconic mountain bike destinations.

MTB_Trails-e1350514993418.jpg

http://www.thredbo.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Thredbo-biking-Concept-Plan.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
That looks fantastic, no wonder Thredbo is the only mountain to really do a consistant stand alone profitable summer trade, good work.

Acav

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2010
The bottom bit of that trail 13 could turn into an unmarked advanced ski trail when the snow is on...

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Woot, go Glen. Has his 5 years at Buller finished? He makes some good tracks.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Hunter said:
That looks fantastic, no wonder Thredbo is the only mountain to really do a consistant stand alone profitable summer trade, good work.
Well, over 50 years of heavy marketing also helps a lot. I guess that is an advantage of having a private company running the management of the resort, they want to be more profitable and want their lessees to be more profitable too. So they have invested in summer infrastructure and promotion for over half a century

The other big resorts (with resort management boards controlled by bureaucrats) have only been pushing summer attractions for a decade or so, and even today Perisher doesn't seem to be trying.

But in another decade Falls Creek and Buller will have a much higher awareness in the public mind with Baw Baw and Hotham / Dinner Plain a little further behind.

But I have little hope for Perisher, Ben Lomond or Charlotte Pass getting much summer custom, because they aren't improving their summer infrastructure and the resort management of those places just don't seem to be trying to attract punters in summer.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
acav said:
The bottom bit of that trail 13 could turn into an unmarked advanced ski trail when the snow is on...

Looks like an existing road that is already part of the promoted walking tracks. I walked it last year.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Falls Creek is working on mtb trails in stages, but not saying much until more is in place. Last summer they completed the main trunk route along the aqueduct from Nordic bowl to wishing well. Expect announcements on new trails in next year or 2.

AIUI the focus is more on xc than downhill. Historically the lift co haven't shown a lot of interest in running lifts in summer except for a week or so.

Of course the bogong high plains already provide lots of opportunity for xc riding, and the mtb park at mt beauty had downhill & xc trails (site of major competitions as well as recreational use)

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Getting summer happening is hard for a few reason even I can think of. One big one is having stuff open. Many businesses will not open until the crowds are there, but the crowds wont go there if nothing is open.

The last week of the ski season (the extension) must have been interesting, many placed shut the LWE. Reckon there might have been a few people who were not happy with that.

Here is hoping for long term, big picture thinking. I am already hanging to ride the new lifted track in a month or so. IMO it will take more than is on that map to make it THE destination however. The xc that exists (and is on that map) is not proper xc track, its a mish mash of road and walking trails, and really not much fun to ride. Glen Jacobs (world Trails) has been quoted as saying that you need over 70kms of track to become a destination. Tathra has 40k, and I would go there just to ride, so IMO 40+.

I have friends involved in the trails scene down there, and they are lobbying hard, and doing a brilliant job. They have some huge ideas, I think it will grow into an amazing MTB region, combining Jindy, and Thredbo. Perisher is yet to show any enthusiasm.

rugbyskier

One of Us
Jul 7, 2008
Queanbeyan & Thredbo
acav said:

The bottom of trail 13 is the access road to Merritts restaurant. You can see it when you go up the Gunbarrel chair.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
rugbyskier said:
acav said:

The bottom of trail 13 is the access road to Merritts restaurant. You can see it when you go up the Gunbarrel chair.

I have seen people skiing on it but it's only wide enough for a single car. I doubt that it's as steep as Dream Run, but if they widened it to 4 or 5 times its current width and put on snowmaking it might be usable.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
You snow-type people can just forget about that little zone.

It's a mtb track now. And it really isn't suited to winter without a ridiculous level of modifications. If such money was available, it would be better spent on the bottom half of Dream Run.

I doubt Whistler would have succeeded if the bulk of their management teams were indifferent to mountain biking.

I think Thredbo should buy all their upper and middle management bikes.

Acav

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2010
rugbyskier said:
acav said:

Ahh yes I remember it. I considered skiing it once a while back, but from where it meets gunbarrell it looks patchy at best, and the top at friday flat is often barren.

crackson said:
You snow-type people can just forget about that little zone.

I thought this was a ski forum
smile.gif

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Being National Park, environmental impact study should tie it up for years.
frown.gif

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
crackson said:
I think Thredbo should buy all their upper and middle management bikes.

Totally. Do any of them ski or board? Or are they suits? Ahhahaha.

You can gap that track, but watch out for flying sleds, they really motor up that track.

And I said YOU, I dont huck.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass