1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

thredbo, August, camping

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by hpsauce, May 19, 2008.

1. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Want to camp close to thredbo in August for a few days.
    Does anyone have any advice or experience re campgrounds close to thredbo....e.g. Ngarigo, Thredbo Diggings?
    Also, how safe/secure from thievery do you reckon a pitched tent would be during the day?
    Thanks
    (ps I also posted this on the backcountry forum if anyone wants to see related responses)

2. snowkiter

snowkiter First Runs

yep it can get really cold at night .(well thats stating the bleeding obvious ) i was surprised at how cold tho .We woke up one morning last year and the whole of the river had ice across it and the thermometer was minus 8 at 8 am .i had multiple multiple layers and was still cold .Don't know about how safe leaving a tent there is but whenever I go past during the day there are tents there .Just don't leave big time valuables in there .

3. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I've left tent there, a calculated risk I suppose. Had no drama's.

Agree snowkiter, have found Island Bend a touch warmer as there is a bit more 'drift' in the air. At the near Thredbo spots it gets very still and very very cold.

4. SnowBound

SnowBound One of Us

Camped at Thredbo Diggings last monday (15th) its a very nice area but bloody cold!!!!!!! and it wasnt even in the season!! my advice is stay indoors, unless u wanna freeze to death (seriously)

5. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Slept in Thredbo carpark under a hoochie strung up between two cars. Had a 4 season sleeping bag in a bivy bag and froze. (Actually my boots and gloves froze to the ground)

Don't be a cheapskate stay somewhere inside (or have a really really good tent and sleeping bag)

6. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Plenty of people sleep in more inhospitable places than a carpark or diggings campground. Just check out the backcountry forum.

Just have appropriate equipment.

7. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing inhospitable about Mt Twynam!

8. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Sounds like a good place to set up a snowgun [​IMG]

#8 rollyz, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks folks. and yes, I have picked up some "good oil" from the backcountry forum. I do have some good kit...and prepared to feel v cold. I might treat myself to a new bag.

It's just that I think accom in OZ in Aug is about the worst value-for-money of any resort I've experienced in the world. I have often felt consumately shafted. Hopefully I'll have the best outlook on the mountain in a campground....albeit the coldes.

10. smegs10

smegs10 First Runs

Just put your belongings in a car and leave the tent empty. If you don't have a car stash them behind a well concealed tree. You should be fine.

11. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

And put a rattle snake in the tent to deter tent theives.

12. rodatthebay

rodatthebay First Runs

We camp all the time at the Caravan park at Jindy my boys and I. It goes subzero most night. Its got showers, a drying room, kitchen, lounge, all you do is bed down in the tent. Its really cheap at about $15 adults and $8 kids. You do need a good tent , sleeping bag, thermals etc. Im toasty warm. I can do 4 weekends for the price of one in decent accom.

When I was going through uni, we regularly tented at island bend at the back of guthega, its was goo there too, but I think there are now no camping signs.

13. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

You can still camp at Island Bend, we did last year. It snowed two days after we set up. We lived on the snow for the rest of the week [​IMG]

#13 rollyz, May 24, 2008
  14. smegs10

smegs10 First Runs

I'm going camping in June up at Boyd River in Kanangra-Boyd National Park, shoud be awesome.

15. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Camping at Ngarigo
    [​IMG][/img]

#15 telecrag, Jun 5, 2008
  16. DJM

DJM One of Us

Mr Crag.....

Thats hilarious...
    Ever copped a roo foot to the balls during the night?

17. telecrag

First time we did it we were new to the body bag thing and decided to try them close to the car in case they werent all they were cracked up to be. We figured if it didnt work out they could just zip up the bags and we were ready to go!

Actually its a great nights sleep. No roo feet yet, just a couple of amorous possums that were invited in for the night. Mmmm cuddly!

18. ndls

ndls First Runs

man thats pretty much what i wanna do..

just outta interest telecrag, what temperature was it when u sleepin on the snow? and what kinda gear were u using to make it through the night?

19. telecrag

It was -10C we had gortex, mine is emphatex, bivy/body bags, and down sleeping bags, a foam mat and thermarest. Totally comfy, on a reasonably calm night I highly recommend it, its a great sleep breathing the cold fresh air.

Have used them a fair bit backcountry, but have been caught out a few times. Its really hard to sleep in them when you are being buffeted by strong winds, or if you wake up with 5cm of snow on you it can be hard to get up and dressed. Bearable for an overnighter.

20. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I remember sleeping in a bag up in the ACT high country with just a plastic tarp over the bag. Tarp was solid when I woke. I reckon at least a -8 that night. [​IMG] I was warm. On an old school Karrimor mat. And two beanies. [​IMG]

#20 VSG, Jun 12, 2008
  21. Wizard!

Wizard! One of Us

I was on a walk up Howwit once and we camped at Mac Springs. One guy in our group slung a hammock between two trees and covered it with a make shift roof made from rope and tarp. It snowed 4cm that night and he said he was toasty warm.

22. Wizard!

Wizard! One of Us

I think ive gotta photo of it that i entered in a comp, give me a day or two and ill try and find it.