Thredbo Backcountry Tours (snowshoeing and boarding)

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I'm looking into possibly going on one of the backcountry tours offered by Thredbo this year.

So far information is pretty thin on the ground, so hopefully those who have been before or have some idea can help me out:
Do you need to have a full lift pass to go on one of the resort-operated backcountry tours, or is a single for Kosi Express sufficient?
For the snowshoeing options, my wife (and possibly me too) is looking for something that can be done while carrying our (by the time) 15 month old in our hiking carrier - is this an option, or likely a no-go?

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
This guy is the resident Thredbo snowshoeing expert

194331_87f236a38627cce2db15803d3548c61f.jpeg

194329_a639297cda7a82bb6a8367bbd77d2ae2.jpeg

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I'm looking into possibly going on one of the backcountry tours offered by Thredbo this year.

So far information is pretty thin on the ground, so hopefully those who have been before or have some idea can help me out:
Do you need to have a full lift pass to go on one of the resort-operated backcountry tours, or is a single for Kosi Express sufficient?
For the snowshoeing options, my wife (and possibly me too) is looking for something that can be done while carrying our (by the time) 15 month old in our hiking carrier - is this an option, or likely a no-go?
I’m pretty sure when I looked into it, lift pass was included. But given its now a premium tour.... o_O

Also pretty sure you won’t be allowed on a lift with a baby carrier. Perhaps try DHG?

Reactions: Untele-whippet

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
The backcountry lift pass was included in the backcountry tour I did last year. We caught the kosi chair and then basin T bar on it. I had Alex, she was really good and a splitboarder too.

I haven’t done a snowshoe tour but they do offer them. I wonder if there is some way you can utilise the gondola with the carrier?

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Hopefully wrong for you all but I think Thredbo’s insurance won’t like the baby carrier and passenger.
Good luck with your quest.
Maybe on on good day snow shoe up the Cascades Fire Trail and if that’s enjoyable then venture up the other side.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
The backcountry lift pass was included in the backcountry tour I did last year. We caught the kosi chair and then basin T bar on it. I had Alex, she was really good and a splitboarder too.

I haven’t done a snowshoe tour but they do offer them. I wonder if there is some way you can utilise the gondola with the carrier?

I did have the thought of a gondola trip up for lunch, especially if Mstr 5 is up to snowboarding on Cruiser with me by then :D

Hopefully wrong for you all but I think Thredbo’s insurance won’t like the baby carrier and passenger.
Good luck with your quest.
Maybe on on good day snow shoe up the Cascades Fire Trail and if that’s enjoyable then venture up the other side.

I've seen some reports of people doing it in summer for the Kosi walk - but realistically if there are walks at valley level she's happy to do that.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Find Mt Terrible on the map. Walk up Cascades until you can see it. Have a picnic while looking at the Mt that the colt from old regret was chased down and caught on.
Couldn't have been mt terrible. Flint is found in carbonate geology. Mt terrible had felsic igneous geology.

When they reached the mountain's summit, even Clancy took a pull,
It well might make the boldest hold their breath,
The wild hop scrub grew thickly, and the hidden ground was full
Of wombat holes, and any slip was death.
But the man from Snowy River let the pony have his head,
And he swung his stockwhip round and gave a cheer,
And he raced him down the mountain like a torrent down its bed,
While the others stood and watched in very fear.

He sent the flint stones flying, but the pony kept his feet,
He cleared the fallen timber in his stride,
And the man from Snowy River never shifted in his seat —
It was grand to see that mountain horseman ride.
Through the stringy barks and saplings, on the rough and broken ground,
Down the hillside at a racing pace he went;
And he never drew the bridle till he landed safe and sound,
At the bottom of that terrible descent.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
I wasn't guessing.

Old timers here told me it was Mt Terrible.

Someone that homed the mare from old regret said it.

A few others agreed.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I wasn't guessing.

A few others agreed.
I like your version. It’s poetic. It’s a great yarn. Ignore the rest - we can all hike out to view where the colt from old regret got away.

Reactions: JG and crackson

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I wasn't guessing.

A few others agreed.
Old timers must have never read the poem or been illiterate. The Man From Snowy River is notable because has came from a place distant to the setting of the poem.

But still so slight and weedy, one would doubt his power to stay,
And the old man said, ‘That horse will never do
‘For a long and tiring gallop — lad, you'd better stop away,
‘Those hills are far too rough for such as you.’
So he waited sad and wistful — only Clancy stood his friend —
‘I think we ought to let him come,’ he said;
‘I warrant he'll be with us when he's wanted at the end,
‘For both his horse and he are mountain bred.’

‘He hails from Snowy River, up by Kosciusko's side,
‘Where the hills are twice as steep and twice as rough,
‘Where a horse's hoofs strike firelight from the flint stones every stride,
‘The man that holds his own is good enough.
‘And the Snowy River riders on the mountains make their home,
‘Where the river runs those giant hills between;
‘I have seen full many horsemen since I first commenced to roam,
‘But nowhere yet such horsemen have I seen.’

The poem is though to be set at Burrinjuck near Yass. Patterson worked on a property there as a lad and bought a property there once he's made it in the city.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I've seen some reports of people doing it in summer for the Kosi walk - but realistically if there are walks at valley level she's happy to do that.

You shouldnt have a problem with carry the child in your arms, not a pack up the chair. But they wont be happy about you being on equipment (ie snow shoes) in the resort boundary with a child in a hiking pack. And they likely wouldnt let you be apart of a guided snow shoe tour with a child in a carrier.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
You shouldnt have a problem with carry the child in your arms, not a pack up the chair. But they wont be happy about you being on equipment (ie snow shoes) in the resort boundary with a child in a hiking pack. And they likely wouldnt let you be apart of a guided snow shoe tour with a child in a carrier.

This is the response I got when I contacted K7 about it recently:
"Yes - we have taken Mums and Bubs in the past from the top of Thredbo on a fine and sunny / windless day."

They also suggested the Ramshead Ramble half-day tour, which looks to leave from the Eagles Nest.

https://www.k7adventures.com/snowshoeing

As to snowshoes within the resort boundary - well, Thredbo offer snowshoeing as part of their backcountry adventures, so it's not entirely unheard of. I was thinking more about actual hikes along the bridal path etc depending on the snow level.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
"Yes - we have taken Mums and Bubs in the past from the top of Thredbo on a fine and sunny / windless day."

They also suggested the Ramshead Ramble half-day tour, which looks to leave from the Eagles Nest.

As to snowshoes within the resort boundary - well, Thredbo offer snowshoeing as part of their backcountry adventures, so it's not entirely unheard of. I was thinking more about actual hikes along the bridal path etc depending on the snow level.
That’s great news!

(was never saying the resort wouldn’t allow snow shoes in resort, was saying resort wouldn't allow someone to have snow shoes on and Bub in a pack in resort boundary.)

Last edited:
Reactions: nezumi

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Snowshoing will be alot more difficult low down at Thredbo. Unconsolidated marginal snow some of it suspended on bent over shrubs and bushes. You will fall over heaps and you will get wet. Much better to pick a nice day and head high on the firm deep snow pack.

Why not just hire some gear and head up toward the kozie lookout?

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Go K7

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Snowshoing will be alot more difficult low down at Thredbo. Unconsolidated marginal snow some of it suspended on bent over shrubs and bushes. You will fall over heaps and you will get wet. Much better to pick a nice day and head high on the firm deep snow pack.

Why not just hire some gear and head up toward the kozie lookout?

Depends what you mean by "hire some gear and head up"?

• First time to Thredbo for her, first time in 15+ years for me
  • She's fine hiking generally, but not necessarily great solo and on snow.
  • I'm looking to be snowboarding, so this is mainly as an activity for her (and possibly our other friend who is coming to Thredbo with us, but not guaranteed)
We weren't expecting that it would be all snowshoeing at village level, but more hoping for the possibility of some reasonable walking.

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Not sure if she’s up for a drive, but the porcupine rocks snowshoe trail from Perisher is a great beginner trail, is well signed, and protected for the most of the way if it happens to be windy. I’d even be keen to come with :) You have to avoid stepping on the XC tracks next to it as that makes people very upset, but it’s easily doable. That’s the snowshoe hike that my local women’s adventure group take beginners on for their first snow experience.

It at least avoids the chairlift issue and is less exposed than eagles nest.

Last edited:
Reactions: skifree and nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Not sure if she’s up for a drive, but the porcupine rocks snowshoe trail from Perisher is a great beginner trial, is well signed, and protected for the most of the way if it happens to be windy. I’d even be keen to come with :) You have to avoid stepping on the XC tracks next to it as that makes people very upset, but it’s easily doable. That’s the snowshoe hike that my local women’s adventure group take beginners on for their first snow experience.

It at least avoids the chairlift issue and is less exposed than eagles nest.

This is a definite possibility! She's keen on the concept and not opposed to driving from Thredbo to Perisher. :)

J_busworth

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2017
Coogee, NSW
transportnswblog.com
Porcupine Rocks was my introduction to XC skiing, and it really is a lovely protected trail. Passed lots of snowshoers on my way there and back. Its well signposted and easy to access from the road in Perisher. Definitely a option if they have a day spare and can't find anything to do in Thredbo

silva

One of Us
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
Have seen lots of people on the Kosci lift with bubs and carriers in summer - just not with bub IN carrier. They usually slow or pause the chair to get everyone and their equipment on and off safely.
I am sure that she would be able to take your 15 month old for a trip up to Eagles nest on a nice day. As for the gondola - saw lots of people loading full strollers when it was open at Easter. Meeting you up at Cruiser should certainly be possible - I think they will have snow play areas up there somewhere this year as well.

My tip - buy super long pants for your 15 month old if you are planning to put them in a carrier. Their pants tend to get scrunched and pulled up exposing half their lower leg to the elements. Before they are walking suits with enclosed feet are good but by 15 months they are likely to be running around so longer pants or pants with a strap under their foot are a good idea (their boots will keep them out of the snow).

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
In a stroke of good luck, the Let's Split crew are planning on doing one of their informal trips on the weekend when I will be in Thredbo, so that potentially means one less day of lift passes and a day spent out splitboarding without forking over too much cash (I still need to either buy or hire a beacon/shovel/probe set).

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
In a stroke of good luck, the Let's Split crew are planning on doing one of their informal trips on the weekend when I will be in Thredbo, so that potentially means one less day of lift passes and a day spent out splitboarding without forking over too much cash (I still need to either buy or hire a beacon/shovel/probe set).
What awesome timing!! Looking forward to the trip report.

With any luck I’ll be there next year

Reactions: skifree

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Bingo. (I'm pretty sure that it's not deemed an essential by the Mountain Safety Collective crew for their intro/camping/snow touring trips? I could be wrong though)
I trust they will do beacon checks prior to leaving da Bo.

Reactions: Myazma
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass