Thredbo Bag Jump 2014

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Does anyone know whether the bag jump is going to be up again at Thredbo this year? It's always closed just before I arrived before, but this year I'll be there earlier and would love to catch it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
:confused:

Less chance of that on a bag jump than on a standard jump.

Friend of cub2's broke her back in January, stuck out the season in a back brace and got back on snow when I was there in mid March. Bet she wished she had a bag under her at the time.

Everyone that used it had to sign a disclaimer.
Will be a shame if the nanny state wins.

If I had to guess why it wasn't returning I would have suggested it's too windy at Thredbo. Was down more often than not.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
First year it was there - about 4 years ago - someone did something dumb and if what I was told is true, broke their back - what ever that actually means.I think it was when they were getting off it or they over shot it.

Bag jumps are not popular with the coaches of the elite athletes (read mogul skiers). I have been told this is because they are not good for knees. Probably less of an issue for board riders.

My mogul skier does at least 80, if not more, good, successful jumps at water ramp of any trick before he tries it on snow. That is after lots of tramp as well. And he has the opportunity to jump into powder first off. We do not see park people or boarders doing this.

They all do lots of tramp - tramp coaches in Jindy are park people or olympians etc.

We see lots of people trying stuff in the park and you know they have not done the training for what they are trying. Very scary.

thebutterman

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2009
The bag jump won't be back this year. They are building the park where the jump for it used to be.

Bag jumps aren't as safe as you might think and they certainly don't guarantee that you won't damage yourself if you land on your head.

As far as park skiers/boarders go, Australia doesn't have the coaches or infrastructure needed to fully progress athletes from learning tricks on a tramp through to putting them down on snow. I know maybe one person who works in a ski school who is fully certified under a freestyle body (CFSA) to coach athletes in air progression. Aside from that there are another handful of instructors who are actually qualified to teach park skills and the qualification doesn't take a lot to get.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
I got this from my lodge recently :

Mountain Works update

Some of the on-mountain changes for this winter are;

Snowmaking on Mogul Run (Chute 4) – The permanent mogul course will once again be established on Chute 4 in the meadows area. Over the summer several new tower guns have been installed to assist getting the site operational earlier in the season.

New Snowmaking Guns – Along with the installation of additional tower guns, 3 new TF10 Techno Alpin fan guns have been purchased to assist with snowmaking production in the high traffic areas. These guns produce a similar amount of snow to 4-5 tower guns, so they will provide a welcome boost to snow production capabilities.

Super Park under Kosciuszko Express Chairlift - The terrain park from High Noon has been moved to the area known as Chute 5 which was previously used for the Bag Jump operations. The upper part of this run will contain box and rail features. At the end of this run there will be a crossover to Milk Run which will host a jump line with 3 large features. The establishment of the Super Park in the meadows area has allowed High Noon to be re-established as a wide open ski run.

Dismantling of Ramshead chair – in the past few weeks the base station and the first 4 towers of the decommissioned Ramshead chair have been dismantled. These works have significantly opened up the area between the TSRC clubhouse and Avalanche Café BBQ hut. This work has now paved the way for further feasibility works on the proposed Ramshead replacement chairlift.

In the village, a new café has been established in the space previously occupied by Altitude 1380. Central Road has been significantly renovated by Paul Antone and Gosia Ostaszkiewicz. Paul and Gosia have worked for many years within the Thredbo community and have a unique understanding of the culinary taste of our Thredbo clientele. Central Road will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner throughout the winter months and their selection of heart-warming modern Australian dishes has been exceptionally well received to date.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
The bag jump won't be back this year. They are building the park where the jump for it used to be.

Bag jumps aren't as safe as you might think and they certainly don't guarantee that you won't damage yourself if you land on your head.

As far as park skiers/boarders go, Australia doesn't have the coaches or infrastructure needed to fully progress athletes from learning tricks on a tramp through to putting them down on snow. I know maybe one person who works in a ski school who is fully certified under a freestyle body (CFSA) to coach athletes in air progression. Aside from that there are another handful of instructors who are actually qualified to teach park skills and the qualification doesn't take a lot to get.

^this Coach certification is relatively new in Aus.

Quite a few of the park skiers are ex mogul skiers, e.g. Anna Segal. So they have done years of water ramp as a moguls skier. We have seen Anna Segal at water ramp but very few others.

thebutterman

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2009
^this Coach certification is relatively new in Aus.

Quite a few of the park skiers are ex mogul skiers, e.g. Anna Segal. So they have done years of water ramp as a moguls skier. We have seen Anna Segal at water ramp but very few others.

Until you brought up the subject I didn't even know there was an Australian freestyle coaching certification pathway, I might look into that. Anyway. my point is, the lack of instructors/coaches who know how to teach air progressions safely is the reason why you see so many people trying tricks in the park when they probably shouldn't be.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Until you brought up the subject I didn't even know there was an Australian freestyle coaching certification pathway, I might look into that. Anyway. my point is, the lack of instructors/coaches who know how to teach air progressions safely is the reason why you see so many people trying tricks in the park when they probably shouldn't be.

Completely agree about the lack of instructors/coaches with the expertise. My mogul skier is spending a month in Japan doing water ramp at the moment because there was no opportunity for him to do water ramp in Australia to train for the coming season. And in past years it has been difficult for him to learn new tricks and progress because of the limited opportunity to do water ramp in Aus.

My understanding it is very knew. My son has only been doing moguls for 3 years and before that we had no involvement so my knowledge is limited and really only relates to moguls.

Contact SSA or look on their website.From what I have been told about a year ago or may be 2 years ago,some of the people working as moguls coaches were asked to write a level 1 coaches training course and were given level 1 accreditation. The stuff that is not sport specific is done as a generic course provided by someone else. Now they are moving on to level 2 coaches.

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
Bag jumps are a little like helmets for some people - i.e. they give a false sense of security....
The landings can be brutal....

Reactions: skichanger
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using