Thredbo bouquets and brickbats

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
We spoke with a crew who had a biggish day - Guthega, Avalanche, up over Sentinel, back up, home via Tate and the log bridge.
I'd like to catch up with one or two of them at some stage for a project I have going.
One posts a fair bit on the MR FB page

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Principal Douglas

Metal Guy
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
One observation. The village buses at night are pathetically organised. No one knows if they are running etc.

The problem is after a certain time there's 1 minibus serving all the routes. It takes a while to get around the whole village and if it's full it'll go past stops, even if people are waiting.

If I'm up there at night I just walk. The village isn't that big. That doesn't work too well for families though, particularly when the weather is bad.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
I don't get where all the extra cars have come from. It's quite bizarre. I have never seen the extent of cars in Thredbo I have seen this year. Presumably there are hundreds of non skier sightseers driving in - while the resort is busy on mountain it doesn't seem to match the bursting at the seams car parking problem.

Incidentally Thredbo I think permitting parking near River Inn will come back and bite you soon. The pedestrian space is limited there when cars are parked. There's lots of pedestrian traffic and lots of car traffic, and increasing numbers of seemingly entitled car parkers. I'm worried that a child will wander into traffic because of the reduced space.

Sadly if the demand issue for parking continues you'll either need more parking or a bus transit option from Jindy/Ski Tube.
Snowplay area is proving to be way more popular than anyone realised. Being free it is attracting a whole new group to Thredbo that would not normally come and hence the car parking issues.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Just as there has been a huge increase in visitation by people of Asian ancestry to Mt Wilson in the Blue Mountains to photograph themselves and the spring and autumn colours causing massive traffic and parking issues in the last few years, so has there been a massive increase in visitation to Thredbo by people with ancestry from the Indian subcontinent for sightseeing and snowplay.
The carparks cannot cope with this massive extra non skiing/boarding visitation on top of the traditional weekend usage.
Don't know what the solution is but Thredbo / NPWS need to address the issue. Thredbo can cope with the extra visitors at the moment but not their vehicles.
Can't have your cake and eat it I'm afraid.
I have a NPWS annual pass and Thredbo 365 pass and expect that I can get satisfaction from both of them for all the days I have paid for.
Nothing rascist, just observations.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Just as there has been a huge increase in visitation by people of Asian ancestry to Mt Wilson in the Blue Mountains to photograph themselves and the spring and autumn colours causing massive traffic and parking issues in the last few years, so has there been a massive increase in visitation to Thredbo by people with ancestry from the Indian subcontinent for sightseeing and snowplay.
The carparks cannot cope with this massive extra non skiing/boarding visitation on top of the traditional weekend usage.
Don't know what the solution is but Thredbo / NPWS need to address the issue. Thredbo can cope with the extra visitors at the moment but not their vehicles.
I have a NPWS annual pass and Thredbo 365 pass and expect that I can get satisfaction from both of them for all the days I have paid for.
I have to confess I'm not quite sure what Thredbo gets out of all this extra snow play day visitation. Car parking is now a huge problem but the day visitors don't buy lift passes, don't buy accomodation, and from what I've observed seem to brown bag their lunch.

Lots of cost for not much revenue.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I have to confess I'm not quite sure what Thredbo gets out of all this extra snow play day visitation. Car parking is now a huge problem but the day visitors don't buy lift passes, don't buy accomodation, and from what I've observed seem to brown bag their lunch.

This^^^^^

There was some discussion earlier in this or another thread that the snow players may convert to skiers eventually. I not 100% convinced either way.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Surely running a regular bus service from Jindabyne on weekends in peak season would be on the cards.
But where do they all park their cars to get on the bus? There is no way people will walk to a central bus stop in/with gear from the Jindy hills.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

They have to stay somewhere.
Perishers snowtubing operation is it's most profitable business I've been told.
There is money in snowplay

Reactions: LMB

Tegski

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2012
Canberra
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else but apparently there was a 15 k long traffic jam coming into Cooma late yesterday afternoon.
Yup - got stuck in that - just back up from the two roundabouts in Cooma. Backed up past the airport - traffic moving at 20 km/h :-(

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
My home is the number 8. I have totally lost count on the number of Chinese that park for anything up to an hour across our driveway and just sit in their car and stare at our home. The other day when I got a cab home, the Chinese driver was literally begging me to sell my home to him. o_O

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
No idea. Never go in there. I assume they wouldn't take kindly to the proposition anyway.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Yeah took my friends 3 hrs to get to Canberra
Screw that.
Glad we left early
I left Canberra at 6:30 headed for Cooma. From the roundabout at Tuggeranong it was pretty much constant oncoming traffic all the way. A few gaps started to appear as I got near Cooma. There looked to be a several car nose-tail bingle due to roo on the downhill run to the roundabout.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT

Heard a rumour that Thredbo may introduce a charge on the snowplay area from next year.

I've seen on the Livetraffic app a couple of times this year the notice of all carparks in KNP being full this year. Becoming a safety issue as people park on the Alpine Way and then walk to Thredbo in skiboots along the shoulder.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Heres a suggestion to Thredbo. Do some work on the lift queuing areas. Even the longer queues aren't that long (time wise) but its bloody hard to stand in them when they are on decent slopes.

Take merrits for example. This is a beginner dominated area, yet the queue is uphill. Makes it hard for the little tikes without stocks and even the adults. Add lots of these and its carnage. Snowboards flapping around all over the place. Its the most unpleasant part of any day at Thredbo.

One easy solution would be to built flat queuing / marshaling area from snow. Then have a small ski down to the electronic gates. The "form fours" fencework does not have to be right at the gates. And/or the electronc gates don't have to be right at the lift. Or some summer earthworks to create flat queuing areas.
Yep. This would be good. Not bad on fresh snow, or spring slush but when it's icy it is quite difficult.

It was in this lift queue last year (or the year before maybe) that an impatient young lady kept smacking into my board. She got me eventually in a moment of inattention ramming her ski under my free foot as I scooched forward. Went down like I'd been shot due to the angle of the slope. If it'd been flat it wouldn't have been a problem.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Heard a rumour that Thredbo may introduce a charge on the snowplay area from next year.

I've seen on the Livetraffic app a couple of times this year the notice of all carparks in KNP being full this year. Becoming a safety issue as people park on the Alpine Way and then walk to Thredbo in skiboots along the shoulder.
They should make money off it.
And good on them. But only if they sort the carpark situation for next year.

Multi story carparks on existing parking areas.

Increase the snow play facilities and start charging for stuff.

Build a few igloos.

Make a few forts for snowball play (rent helmets and goggles to prevent injury and snowball makers to make it more fun).

Rent a snowman making kit (carrot nose, scarf, coal eyes and buttons, twigs for arms, corn cob pipe and spades/buckets to do the job)

Hell, I took my nephew and Dad into the 'snow tent' at the Fremantle Winterfest this year. A one inch deep sheet of compressed slush inside a tent not much bigger than a jumpy castle. $10 each ($30 total) for about 10 minutes of seriously WTF?! Thredbo can charge.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I'm not sure what the answer is, but I would be pissed if I brought a ticket on line only to get there and find no parking. Lucky I have a season ticket.....

My concern for next year is the increase in season ticket holders. I know a lot of people from Perisher who are moving over to Thredbo due to a combination of mtn collective and mtn biking (plus the better skiing ;) ).

Charging for snow play will only allow KT to staff the area and hopefully make it a little safer, the current free for all is hectic. I watched an idiot stand at the bottom with a pram and yell at anyone who got within a foot of him!

Charging for parking may be the answer, I see plenty of half full cars up there. Provide a parking pass with season tickets, multi day passes any one that hires a property and charge the rest. Then provide a bus from the ski tube, this will make day trippers think the bus is value over park entry and parking.

Reactions: Untele-whippet

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I'm not sure what the answer is, but I would be pissed if I brought a ticket on line only to get there and find no parking. Lucky I have a season ticket.....

My concern for next year is the increase in season ticket holders. I know a lot of people from Perisher who are moving over to Thredbo due to a combination of mtn collective and mtn biking (plus the better skiing ;) ).

Charging for snow play will only allow KT to staff the area and hopefully make it a little safer, the current free for all is hectic. I watched an idiot stand at the bottom with a pram and yell at anyone who got within a foot of him!

Charging for parking may be the answer, I see plenty of half full cars up there. Provide a parking pass with season tickets, multi day passes any one that hires a property and charge the rest. Then provide a bus from the ski tube, this will make day trippers think the bus is value over park entry and parking.
The overnight parking areas may go. To make room for day parking
It might end up similar to Perisher where overnight cars are parked off the hill (ie sawpit or bullocks) with people being bussed in. I don't agree with it, however its an easy solution
I also noticed traffic cones being placed over parking signs. WTF is that?
The problem isn't Thredbos alone. Perisher has blown out nearly every weekend this season. With cars parked 8kms away.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Too many cashed up property owners would be terribly, terribly upset.
Wouldn't the really cashed up ones have a spot near their property?
These would be the moderately cashed up ones being angry

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Build a multistorey carpark, pay for roofed parking, free on top (might need chains, haha)

Give it to a chinese company on 495 visas, they will have it done over summer.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Charging for parking might work, IF they built a multi story.

You want the convenience of undercover parking, no snow on your precious car, the ability to change in/out of your gear undercover - it'll cost you.

If they made the entry level tall then they could do larger spots - undercover RV parking, tall SUVs with a roof box etc - few extra dollars for such luxuries. Maybe even a few reservable plug in spots at caravan park rates for the RV/campervans.

Upper deck could either have a roof to allow for full price patronage, or no roof and be used exclusively for staff parking (which would free up some on the ground spots).

Parking meters at all current roadside spots for the use of snow play day trippers, parking pass included with all accomodation bookings and season passes (multistory access extra).

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Wouldn't the really cashed up ones have a spot near their property?
These would be the moderately cashed up ones being angry
Still think there would be a lot of opposition to overnight parking being scrapped for a problem that exists for about 6 weeks of the season. Last weekend was an anomoly for this time of year. At least I hope it was.

Reactions: dawooduck

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Lol.
Still think there would be a lot of opposition to overnight parking being scrapped for a problem that exists for about 6 weeks of the season. Last weekend was an anomoly for this time of year. At least I hope it was.
You know what...I don't think its going away.
Every year the traffic jam in Jindy gets worse, and earlier.
Mind you I feel this weekend will be empty. Even with 50cm of fresh snow

Reactions: dawooduck

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I don't know.
I would've thought it's the fresh abundant snow that is keeping them coming.

Wouldn't it be nice if seasons like this one were the new normal!

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007

Only if you could have the 2014 start for the schoolies, that period sucked pretty hard this year.

It looks like the push for more patronage is working, just need to be able to accommodate it all. Problem there is that its only a small window that is out of control. Maybe 4 weeks worth all up.

Reactions: LMB and dawooduck

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
True. Widening the road to two lanes from beyond the school would go a long way to alleviate that though.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I don't know.
I would've thought it's the fresh abundant snow that is keeping them coming.

Its summer in sydney now
30 degrees tomorrow
ALL of the snow is melted.

Reactions: telecrag

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
True. Widening the road to two lanes from the school would go a long way to alleviate that though.
I'm far from traffic expert
I'll defer to @climberman
However unless they change the barry way at the same time...I can still see a few dramas

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I'm far from traffic expert
I'll defer to @climberman
However unless they change the barry way at the same time...I can still see a few dramas

The extra lane will certainly help but it will still be four into two with flow from Jindy commanding right of way.

Weekends on the I70 ...

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Only if you could have the 2014 start for the schoolies, that period sucked pretty hard this year.

It looks like the push for more patronage is working, just need to be able to accommodate it all. Problem there is that its only a small window that is out of control. Maybe 4 weeks worth all up.
Yeah...but if you build it...they will come!

Given we've got the camper now I especially like the idea of undercover camper parking! Go on Thredbo, you know you want toooo!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The extra lane will certainly help but it will still be four into two with flow from Jindy commanding right of way.

Weekends on the I70 ...
Yeah I was wondering re that .
Jindy has the right of way. Why would you let any of the Station rental crowd in?
Can see angry SUV's driven by middle managers named Blake pushing in . Then shrugging it off .

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Yeah I was wondering re that .
Jindy has the right of way. Why would you let any of the Station rental crowd in?
Can see angry SUV's driven by middle managers named Blake pushing in . Then shrugging it off .

The only reason anyone can get out of the Barry way in peak times is because of the traffic.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using