Thredbo bouquets and brickbats

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
If they do lease the car park etc it would be on the same terms as their head lease which they are trying to extend at the moment.

Pretty easy as part of the head lease re negotiations for the parks to require them to provide access to Thredbo users.
I think perhaps the terms would be very different.
Head lease is for perisher and areas surrounding . This would be a kettle of crabs.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
On a positive note, the bell at Karels has been a smash hit. A real drawcard photo spot. I haven't been past there without seeing groups lining up for photos. With many appearing on social media highlighting thredbo vertical and scenery.

Example,

V__46EB.jpg

Reactions: telecrag

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
On a positive note, the bell at Karels has been a smash hit. A real drawcard photo spot. I haven't been past there without seeing groups lining up for photos. With many appearing on social media highlighting thredbo vertical and scenery.

Example,

V__46EB.jpg
Yeah I thought i'd missed it . Haven't ridden Tbo since .................2011?

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Head lease is for perisher and areas surrounding . This would be a kettle of crabs.

By term I mean the length of the lease. No business in their right mind would lease the ski tube separately or longer than the head lease on the resort where they generating money.

Either way the negotiations would be pretty ugly, but national parks managed to convince Thredbo to hand back the land between golf course bowl and dead horse.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
A 3rd resort would solve all capacity issues and allow the industry as a whole to expand.

It would also help minimise some of the market gouging and re-introduce real competition to the market.

The strangulation of the australian ski industry into some of the highest prices in the world is artificial.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
And by using people carrying Drones, you remove the lift tower footprint! I like it!

Reactions: crackson

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Underground infrastructure. A heli would only see skiers appearing from the hill at the top and disappearing at the bottom. They would see no accom or parking or undergrounded obahn network from jindy.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Except Perisher doesn't have a head lease(unlike Thredbo), everything is a separate lease, ie each lodge is a separate Lodge owner/NPWS lease not a Lodge/Thredbo sublease with a Thredbo/NPWS headlease.

There was a proposal to go to a head lease arrangment, which would have included all Perisher Valley resorts (ie inc. Charlotte Pass) and it was rejected by NSW Government. So it is likely that the skitube is completely different to the other leases.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
No. Junior staff buses from jindy and senior staff should park at the tip.

The ball has been dropped by management on parking yet the customers are paying the penalty.

Maybe they could make some sort of announcement regarding solving the problem in coming seasons.

Doing nothing about parking is not an option.
Senior staff all park within their accommodations or at VT.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I have no problem with this. There's a whole national park to camp in. No need to camp in a lease area paid for by someone else

The NP camp grounds have been overrun by caravans and campervans - some permanent setups. Inconsiderate people removing vehicle barriers and turning the once grassed areas into mudpits. NP's need to deal with the issues. I think a large flat sealed area for vehicle based camping. Another grassed area for tents on top of the existing two areas in the Thredbo Valley.

A registration system (free) for caravans and campervans so that stay lengths can be managed and so they cannot be setup and left for the whole of winter. Restrict use of generators - if you want that stay at a powered site in town.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Two more weeks and it's a ghost town ....

Council and NPWS staffing levels are not up to camping control enforcement. It's a budget thing.

But all those visitors are paying park entry. The extra income is supposed to be spent on managing the park, not to be skimmed off and put in another bucket to make the budget look good.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
But all those visitors are paying park entry. The extra income is supposed to be spent on managing the park, not to be skimmed off and put in another bucket to make the budget look good.

Consolidated revenue .... and the privatisation of everything group think.

Hiring a contract cleaner is maintenance budget, provision of updated infrastructure is capital works budget.

Reactions: Snow Blowey

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
That camera thing they put in, to see what cars were staying, or driving through (would not need two parks guys checking tickets, and issuing please pays in triplicate) blew over and destroyed itself in the first good wind.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That camera thing they put in, to see what cars were staying, or driving through (would not need two parks guys checking tickets, and issuing please pays in triplicate) blew over and destroyed itself in the first good wind.
Really?
Its still up at waste point

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
They had one in, just before the Diggings.

So do they still check tickets at Perisher?

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Wondered what that was. It didn't last long.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

The bloke in the box told me that it's solar system didn't like clouds, frost n snow .... and now it's blown away ...

Stralya

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I'm with @crackson It still blows my mind that somehow we can't get buses from Jindy to the resorts to work.

Wanna improve the parking? Hard to do better or cheaper than this

INx9uEB.jpg
And if you got away with not paying a NPWS fee on a bus trip MORE people would sacrifice convenience for cost savings.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Y
And if you got away with not paying a NPWS fee on a bus trip MORE people would sacrifice convenience for cost savings.
You'll still pay. It is a per head charge for vehicles with more than 12 seats. ($11.45 for adults) So will be part of the ticket price. No way NPWS will kill the golden goose of the winter price to get into KNP.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Y

You'll still pay. It is a per head charge for vehicles with more than 12 seats. ($11.45 for adults) So will be part of the ticket price. No way NPWS will kill the golden goose of the winter price to get into KNP.
I know they have it now. But so many people think pfft, easier to pay for the annual pass and drive.
Incentives to go the less convenient route would be required. Big incentives.
Sure NPWS aren't going to let go.
But if there is to be big change, there need to be big changes..IYKWIM..

Sorry edited: NPWS aren't (previously are) I meant aren't. But they SHOULD if they want change.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I know they have it now. But so many people think pfft, easier to pay for the annual pass and drive.
Incentives to go the less convenient route would be required. Big incentives.
Sure NPWS are going to let go.
But if there is to be big change, there need to be big changes..IYKWIM..
Who knows the mind of the NPWS but if the current excess car use continues there is a very good environmental case to encourage more bus transport. One contributor to that would be NPWS reducing the per head charge.

Indeed NPWS should already be in discussions with council and the resorts to facilitate more buses at less cost to from Jindy

Reactions: LMB

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Who knows the mind of the NPWS but if the current excess car use continues there is a very good environmental case to encourage more bus transport. One contributor to that would be NPWS reducing the per head charge.

Indeed NPWS should already be in discussions with council and the resorts to facilitate more buses at less cost to from Jindy
The ironic thing is Blue Cow was planned by NPWS to reduce traffic within the park. (Kosi road specifically)
Yet their policies encourage it.

Reactions: Telezacski

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
The ironic thing is Blue Cow was planned by NPWS to reduce traffic within the park. (Kosi road specifically)
Yet their policies encourage it.

well yes except, can you imagine what it would be like without ski tube parking ?

IMHO its all in the too hard basket at the moment.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Charlotte Pass must have the answer! What did they do before the toob?

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
What's all this parking fuss. I just park at my lodge with it's ample off road parking. Doesn't everyone?
I use my Heli at Perisher . Far easier.
Pity I had to battle the thredbo bogans and THA parking nazi

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums