Thredbo cover around 25th June

Prokasaurus

Hard Yards
Aug 30, 2010
Moe, Victoria
Hey all.

Was planning a holiday up @ Thredbo starting 25th/26th of June. Never been there before but looking at the trail map it seems like an epic place to ski. I was wondering what the cover is usually like at this time of the year. Obviously it is variable but what are the averages that people have observed over the years?

Specifically, are Friday Flat, The Cruiser, The Basin, and Supertrail/Village trail likely to be open at this time?

Thanks in advance!!

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006

Expect all main runs off the quad chairs to be running by then due to the awesome power of the snowmaking system.

As for the t-bar areas like basin and central spur, they are natural snow zones and need nature to fill them in.

By June 25, I think you will have at least 70% of the resort open.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
laugh.gif
asking that question in here will get you a huge "how long is a piece of string" response.

Suggest you have a look in this link, and then choose the date you are seeking over say the last 5 years and that will give you an very high level idea of the type of cover you might be able to anticipate

http://www.ciau.com.au/snow/rrhist1.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
crackson said:
By June 25, I think you will have at least 70% of the resort open.
Its pretty amazing hey.
Ask that question 20 years ago and the average response would have been 20% of the resort open.

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
gareth_oau said:
laugh.gif
asking that question in here will get you a huge "how long is a piece of string" response.

You just said its huge?

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
you are absolutely right, i said the response would be huge!
wink.gif

of course 'huge' is as relative as the length iof string itself.

Now, what colour should this string be?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
gareth_oau said:
laugh.gif

Suggest you have a look in this link, and then choose the date you are seeking over say the last 5 years and that will give you an very high level idea of the type of cover you might be able to anticipate

Donza said:
Use this

go back and look at the dates.

bit slow Doonks!
tongue.gif

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Doonks?

Insult me

BTW I don't read anything you write unless you quote me.

Dive

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2008
Sydney
Trying to remember the past couple of seasons, I think High Noon. Friday Flat and a couple of runs at Merritts opened first. With the new Eagle Way snowmaking I imagine the Supertrail will be open pretty sharpish, too.
My GPS from last year shows me lapping Central Spur on the 25th of June. Could be open this year. Depends on the string.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
4 or 5 years ago we were there for the 2nd week of the school holidays. The people who were there for the first week had done more bushwalking than skiing, but then that wasn't a great season.

If it's cold enough and it hasn't r**ned then you should be good.

You won't know till you get there.

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Should be good. We were there for opening weekend last year around the 8th and only Merrits and Friday Flat were open. From memory, they opened high noon and then super trail the week after when they had made enough snow to cover the runs.

I'm booked in 22nd-29th June so am confident it will be rideable!
PM me if you'd like to meet up and get a tour round whatever is open.

Most NSW school holidays start on Monday 1st July, so beware it will likely be crowded from 29th June.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
We have spent the last 10 June/July school holidays at Thredbo, alternating either the 1st or 2nd week.
There was only 1 week (2006?) where we couldn't ski top to bottom cos of a huge rain event the preceding week. Even then there was great skiing at Merrits, the T-bars, Basin and ST to the mid stations. You just had to download at the end of the day.
The rest of the years top to bottom, probably 1/3 of those years snow in the village.
Sometimes it'll rain in the village but cos of the elevation its usually snowing up top.
We've ALWAYS had a great time skiing at that time of the year.
As a rule of thumb expect it to be windy up top most of the time, so have a neck warmer. (the wind forms great powder stashes)
Have fun.
We're off to NZ for a change this year in the school holoidays (I still have my 2013 Thredbo season pass though)

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I've made bookings for 8-9 Jun, 11-16 Jun and 21-23 Jun.

If it's not too bad a season, I think at least Friday Flat and some runs on Merritt should be open. That's more than enough for me to get rid of snowploughs, practice parallel turns and hockey stop.

If nothing is open, then I'll just do walking instead
laugh.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
sourmash said:
Most NSW school holidays start on Monday 1st May, so beware it will likely be crowded from 29th June.
1st July you mean?

I'll be fighting them for lift queue during the holiday too. First time. Should be fun.

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
Dos said:

If it's not too bad a season, I think at least Friday Flat and some runs on Merritt should be open. That's more than enough for me to get rid of snowploughs, practice parallel turns and hockey stop.

laugh.gif

I see the bug has bitten you bad dos
laugh.gif

We done 2nd week of July 2011 & enjoyed some empty runs powder up to our knees
The kosi chair closed some days due to wind

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Dos said:
laugh.gif

We have done the opening weekend the last couple of years, usually have Merritts if nothing else there, its not too crowded, and a great way to warm up for the season, but yes it is a risk
smile.gif

edit: unfortunately I have to suck up the school hols as well, but we also have 9 days in August booked.

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Dos said:
sourmash said:
Most NSW school holidays start on Monday 1st May, so beware it will likely be crowded from 29th June.
1st July you mean?

I'll be fighting them for lift queue during the holiday too. First time. Should be fun.
Yes, you are correct DOS, 1st July is start of school holidays!
I've corrected my post ;-)

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Dos said:

laugh.gif
I'll be around from 7th June for 2 weeks Dos, doing the same. Happy to catch up, especially 11-16 June.

Karen97

One of Us
May 3, 2005
Thredbo
Mamabear, I'd dare say you will still be hungover on the 11th
wink.gif
It took me a few days to get over a certain Kiwi's visit last weekend
laugh.gif

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Karen97 said:
Mamabear, I'd dare say you will still be hungover on the 11th
wink.gif
It took me a few days to get over a certain Kiwi's visit last weekend
laugh.gif
I dare say you'd be right!
laugh.gif

Nothing like a bit of fresh mountain air to sort out that next day fuzzy head though!
wink.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
ODNT said:
I see the bug has bitten you bad dos
laugh.gif

We done 2nd week of July 2011 & enjoyed some empty runs powder up to our knees
The kosi chair closed some days due to wind
Yes, real bad, in deed. Never been like this with any sports in my life. My friends said "why don't you like other sports that are cheap to play? Why expensive snow?" My answer is "I don't know. I just do."

Luckily, I'm single so I don't need much for accommodation. I can sleep anywhere with anyone without having to worry about kids or the other half. That keeps the cost down quite significantly. Six days skiing/boarding will cost me about $700 including transport, accommodation and meals.

Nidecker said:
We have done the opening weekend the last couple of years, usually have Merritts if nothing else there, its not too crowded, and a great way to warm up for the season, but yes it is a risk
smile.gif

edit: unfortunately I have to suck up the school hols as well, but we also have 9 days in August booked.
I looked at video clips of opening weekends from previous years. They all seemed to always have enough coverage at Merritts and Friday Flat. Thanks to snowmaking system.

I've never been to a ski resort during school holiday before so this time will be my first experience.

Lady Mamabear said:
I'll be around from 7th June for 2 weeks Dos, doing the same. Happy to catch up, especially 11-16 June.
Wow that's cool. I'll be mostly alone and on ski during my second trip 11-16 Jun so would be great to catch up. Will let you know when I arrive.

If anything I so hope that the tour operator will give me free upgrade to stay on-snow during the first and second week. They have two large hotel/lodge to fill up and I'm not sure if they will have enough guests on the first week to open both places.

Last year they give me free upgrade to stay at Thredbo for two week (17-30 Sep) for the price of Jindy
biggrin.gif

Fingers crossed.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Dos said:
I've never been to a ski resort during school holiday before so this time will be my first experience.

Get up early in the morning!

Find a local or two who will show you how to move across the mountain as the crowds increase.

Take an early lunch, then ski at lunchtime.

Learn the Thredbo lift line etiquette... ie: push in / slide down one side of a queue, ignoring all the disparaging comments.

Book a private lesson, FOR THE WHOLE DAY
laugh.gif

Pray for blizzards, and when they arrive, go skiing
smile.gif

Edit: Regarding expensive sports, my daughter skis in winter and sails in summer, our friends are threatening to take her horse riding to complete the trifecta!!

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Dos said:
Wow that's cool. I'll be mostly alone and on ski during my second trip 11-16 Jun so would be great to catch up. Will let you know when I arrive.
Brilliant. Same same! I MIGHT have my adult son with me - if so, free ski lessons
biggrin.gif
otherwise I'll be on my own as well. Deadset beginner on skis. But if it does snow, I might whip the board out for a bash as well. Definitely stay in touch.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Karen97 said:
I'm around for a ski most mornings
If you can cope with a complete retard I'll go out on skis... if not I'll join you on one plank
biggrin.gif

Chat on the 7th xx

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
You're just after a good laugh
rofl.gif

(But yeah, you're on)

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Nidecker said:
Learn the Thredbo lift line etiquette... ie: push in / slide down one side of a queue, ignoring all the disparaging comments.
laugh.gif
That's funny. Didn't see this comment previously.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Karen97 said:
Come skiing with me!!
Ohhh yeah....
I love it when a plan starts coming together...
923135_10200557677018175_1571244929_n.jpg

Nikki_o

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 11, 2010
LMB they do look very nice!
smile.gif

No Gareth I am NOT tempted. ( well not yet anyway!
wink.gif
)

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Nikki_o said:
smile.gif

wink.gif
)
We'll fix that, then MS will have to take you shopping
laugh.gif

Nikki_o

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 11, 2010
Lady Mamabear said:
Nikki_o said:
smile.gif

wink.gif
)
We'll fix that, then MS will have to take you shopping
laugh.gif

Oh dear! Should I be afraid?
laugh.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Thredbo FB posted this.

New toys! This should help improve base at blind spots for the fixed a/w guns.

I wonder how many of these they will get in total this year.

920458_626861647342234_77847735_o.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass