1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by climberman, Sep 18, 2013.

1. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Snow Blowey and telecrag like this.
  2. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

They're the longest ones in NSW, but I think Kosi Express only beats Horse Hill / Northside at Buller by about 20ish metres?

telecrag likes this.
  3. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

+1 commented on this again last week. The roads were supposed to have been fixed 20 years ago after all the village rehabilitation truck traffic and they never have been, they are absolutely appalling. Nowadays, they're unlikely to be properly fixed - just potholes filled which makes it even worse.

4. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

Horse Hill is 4th at 1700m according to that page.

Bogong likes this.
  5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

No worries, I had the feeling it was a bit longer. So Kosi Express is the longest by a wide margin.

But according to that rather overlong web page, the longest chairlifts to ever operate in Australia were the two that connected Thredbo Valley to Charlotte Pass in the 1960s, in section 6 it says that one of them was 4.76 km long. The existing Cairns to Kuranda gondolas include another one of over 4 km.

6. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Wouldn't this be part of whatever the carpark development is? Also, it's a 40kmh village with minimal vehicle traffic intended beyond the main carparks, and ploughing required. That doesn't scream 'invest in roads'

7. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

they did resurface a really bad bit last summer.

8. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It’s certainly in a dilapidated state compared to when I started visiting.

9. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Word on the street is the Snowgums upgrade has been driven by Kosci being at end of life. The decision to make snowgums a 6 pack is because Kosci isn't planned on being replaced.

Sage Oya likes this.
  10. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Ploughing would be a sh*t load easier on roads that aren't cd-sized bits of bitumen loosely sitting alongside each other. Also, the roads are used year round and, believe it or not, there is a reasonable amount of traffic going around the village daily, all year round. People paying good money to parks and KT for services and roads should be part of those services.

11. Annabuzzy

I will give them credit for developing footpaths near the leisure centre, and realigning the parking there so pedestrians weren’t funnelled into traffic on the main road around parked cars.

No doubt they intend to continue that work, and I applaud that so long as it’s not at the expense of on mountain improvements such as new lifts.

It’s also true to say that while as an experienced skier the merits gondola and development to the restaurant there fills me with meh (translation near enough to zero sense of excitement) at least its a start on something and I avoid Merritt’s restaurant except very early because it IS an overcrowded sh*# fight. So maybe that will change?

12. Annabuzzy

What? I hope not.

13. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

I wondered that. So that raises some questions for what comes with the Snowgums upgrade. Realigning of mountain bike trails to the new top station, wherever that may be? When Kosci carks it you would think there would be a need for a second chair of reasonable capacity out of the valley so is there a long time view for an alternate lifting arrangement out of the valley (which by the sound of it is not something that is likely to part of this current round of potential developments) or does Thredbo's planning indicate a Snowgums six pack and Merritts Gondola will be sufficient!

14. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Jesus!
    I hope not!
    That leaves us with the same number of chairs out of the Village 4+2 across 2 chairs as opposed to 6 across one chair. And no alternatives if the damn lift breaks down.

Thredbo is doing everything it can to shift my retirement plans from seasons in Thredbo to seasons in Wanaka...

15. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

More wankers in the restaurant means less wankers on the slopes.

16. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Well to be fair there is much detail yet to be confirmed, but I agree. No back up in the valley would be a bit silly!

LMB likes this.
  17. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

While only 457m, Cataract Gorge in Tas has the longest span between pylons (308m) mind you most of that is over water.

Ted Harper, telecrag and Bogong like this.
  18. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

The revamping of Merritts restaurants seems to have slipped down the list.

19. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

But without Kosi you can't access Basin and Karels. So either it is rip out Kosi+Basin/Karels or upgrade Snowgums and keep Kosi or new Snowgums goes all the way to Eagles Nest.

20. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

I am unsure how they could not replace Kosci because of the summer usage it gets. I am sure that KT makes a lot of money out of the ‘Conquering Kosci’ campaign and many of the mtb tracks start behind Eagles Nest.

21. telecrag

another rumour is that they are going to do some massive earthworks, so that the entire lease can be accessed by one, 14 seater, which will be enclosed to make it weather proof.

22. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Exactly. One thing I can see the demise of Black Sallees as an independent on hill. Suspect it will be absorbed by KT in any redevelopment.

23. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Hence a Snowgums second stage to new top station. All hinges on the mysterious new top station location - I'm not convinced its heading for Eagles Nest, if they did you might as well do a direct replacement of Kosci and leave Snowgums as is (or upgrade to quad) for windy days.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  24. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Think underground.

25. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Cool, new skitube to Thredbo then, stop one Village, stop two top of Karels.

26. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Some more knowledgeable than me, what is in a direct straight line up the hill from Snowgums at the edge of the lease boundary? My money is that is where the new top station will go if one is built.

Oh and if Perisher goes higher than 2037m with its new 6 on Mt P, expect to see the DA for some earthwork to make the top of Karels a bit higher to eliminate the uphill climb in the traverse "for safety reasons"

27. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Nothing really is directly uphill of Snowgums top station in terms of a meaningful link to the trail network. You'll cross the village trail eventually but all that will do is take you back to the current top station with no access to Upper Supertrail (that bit above Snowgums current top station) and it won't provide reasonable access to the basin (it could get high enough, just but would involve a longish push worthy meandering trail across wind scoured flats to get into the basin). There is nothing to be achieved by going straight up.

linked_recoveries likes this.
  28. Annabuzzy

A very slight kink has you headed directly up or next to Merrrits falls and over to top of Karels

crackson likes this.
  29. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

ABout 45 degrees to get you to the top of karels from Black sallees off the snowgiums line.

30. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Yeh I've wondered if that's the intention. If Kosci is not getting replaced than it needs to at least get to the top of Merritts Falls for access to mtn bike trails and basin/karels t-bars. My guess is it will go far enough along to allow beginners to easily access the village trail where it goes off behind the rocks near the top of basin t-bar. I doubt they'd build the lift without any reasonable way down for beginners from the top station.

31. LMB

You’re assuming a lot:..
    God I hope these fellas making decisions can get it right and really bring some happy back into Thredbo.

32. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

I've been wondering if they even need to build a new extension in the first place. Surely starting the mountain bike trails from the snowgums top station isn't going to cause too many troubles. The only part of the cannonball downhill you'd be deleting is Eagle Way. You could then run both kosi and snowgums in summer, with kosi on hiker duty and snowgums taking the bikers. An extension upwards doesn't seem to be worth the money from my perspective, let alone from KTs perspective.

33. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

The all mountain trail is a major investment by Thredbo and with its link into the Thredbo Valley Trail which can now be linked to the Lake Jindabyne foreshare trail right into town will become a big deal in the mountain biking world. The all mountain trail requires an unload at the top of Mt Crackenback, Snowgums will not cut the mustard.

crackson and Townsend like this.
  34. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

The all mountain is the red trail. I'm struggling to understand why it can't go down slightly to the snowgums terminal, then traverse back up

35. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Any kink to riders' left on Snowgums will have to deal with some rocky outcrops

36. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

An extension like this wouldn't make the chair any less accessible for skiers and would aid mountain biking. Possibly a solution?

37. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

The trail map is deceptive, it would allow access to village trail only. To access the top of Mt Crackenback and basin a kink is required.

38. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Does that large area above Village Trail contain anything useful within lease boundary or does it end right there? If the lease extends (or could extend) further up into that valley are there any runs up there that could be groomed into fashion?

39. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Yeh too many assumptions. I should go skiing.

LMB likes this.
  40. JG

JG Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Topography looks relatively flat

41. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Extending straight up above Snowgums really gains nothing that can't already be accessed from Black Sallees. Why bother? They'd need to put in an intermediate station (expensive) or lose operations due to wind hold. The beauty of Slowgums is it's relatively sheltered. Leave it exactly where it is and make it a detachable quad / six pack. That would take some heat off Kosci - all the intermediates who hate Evil Way would love it. Then KT takes over Black Sallees and puts some investment into that space.

In my opinion any further investment is going to involve: 1) essential replacement of existing chairs along existing lines, 2) revamping the restaurant areas, or 3) improving the summer biking experience. KT is only going to invest in the essentials, or areas where it anticipates an improvement in revenue / profitability. They're not going to invest to improve upper mountain skiing for 'rusted on' seasonaires. There's no $$$ in it for them.

#791 linked_recoveries, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  42. telecrag

Well, whatever the budget is, getting me to ski and market Thredbo is going to take a massive chunk out of it!

Oh wait

LaNeige, climberman and LMB like this.
  43. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Has the DA been approved for the Curling stadium?

44. LMB

LOL
    As much chance as an ice skating rink.

Ohh wait...there’s a little one most days right as you get off the Kosi lift.

45. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Sounds like the Merritts Falls traverse is meeting that description right now.

LMB likes this.
  46. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

In the olden days there was a skating rink at the bottom. No one ever used it.

47. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

Before all the expert dedicated thredbo skiers complain that KT isn't doing anything to improve their experience, I'd like to point out that a chair that skips Eagle Way benefits all skiers, beginners to experts. Eagle Way is hell at the best of times

LMB likes this.
  48. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Um no, I want to see some diversity of business ownership on the hill. The way it is run by the current owners is fantastic, they work on creating an atmosphere and are there year after year. If KT owned it, the character of the place would certainly change which outweighs any value I would get from improved facilities.

49. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

^^^^^^^^This.

However, I don’t think that’s part of the plan.

50. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

A snowplough will get you through easily.
    I do it all the time if there’s heavy traffic or a pile up.
    No shame in a plough.
    Cheaper than a new lift too!