1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by climberman, Sep 18, 2013.

1. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

Cant actually believe the price of a cup of coffee on the resort and in the village. Almost everything KT owned, and it shows.
    Cheaper at perisher!

2. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

Brunelli's cafe?

3. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

But Evil Way is the highlight of the day ... over and over. It’s a challenge and an experience each and every time. The blackest of blue runs you’ve ever seen. Whee!

[Edit - this was a few years back, not now]. On this day I was bailing out to the left up onto the wall. There didn’t seem to be anywhere else to go. A rock sticking up in the middle of the track. People peering down into the abyss with the tails of their skis taking up half the road. Four people crashed at the bottom. Bunch of early intermediates hitting Mach 2 on the way down the road. People arriving onto the scene from above. Road getting narrower and narrower. Impassable wall of snow on the left. Nasty bump field on the right. Jeez! It's the full experience.

#803 linked_recoveries, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    LaNeige, Sage Oya and Annabuzzy like this.
  4. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I like the look of the bump field actually. No brown patches.

5. linked_recoveries

That’s one approach. Rocks were poking out on the back of the bumps from memory.

To be fair, that’s the very worst I’ve seen Eagle Way in my time. It can get fun coming off the chair if the wind has ripped the snow off the pavers, but the blue Eagle Way Run still gets your attention every time.

If it’s busy I wait for a gap and often just stick both my tips into the wall at left and take the whole thing in one long side slip.

Piste Again likes this.
  6. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

AIn't no shame in side slipping. Boarders do it all the time.

7. linked_recoveries

No shame at all.. On busy days I usually consider Eagle Way to be a sixty metre survival course. You need to come out the bottom with all limbs intact.

8. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If Snow gums had a second leg up to lately it would spread traffic much better. At the moment basin and karels just isn't worth it bar access to South side of the resort. You could get a couple for beginner friendly groomers going up high which would make top to bottom much more doable.

9. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Spreading the traffic, particularly when off piste is not a goer would make a real difference. Supertrail was atrocious top to bottom today, with the sheer numbers funnelled into granular man made pushed into lumps over a sheet of scraped off ice.

On a side note, the rest of the resorts groomers although slick I thought were fun to ski. Nice day out.

10. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Flick Eagles Way ...a quad or six to Sallees keeping it sheltered ...T bar up here to where you can slide to the Basin ? Kosi still doing its thing

BlueHue and LaNeige like this.
  11. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

Replacing the current snowgums with a quad or six pack, replacing merritts, extending karels, Antons chair (if possible), Friday flat expansion (possibly with a beginner t bar) and a crap ton more biking trails (especially over on cruiser) could really push thredbo forward.

Looks like they're doing most of that already.

Snowgums isn't that old, they could probably reinstall it somewhere else low traffic on the mountain, or even sell the chair to Charlotte pass like buller did. Maybe I'm getting a bit unrealistic with that idea though

It'd also be great if they refurbed the Gunbarrel and put bike racks on it that aren't made of PVC piping, duct tape and sheer luck

12. linked_recoveries

The official name is 'sugar on Laminex'.

zac150 and Bogong like this.
  13. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Yeh good idea. Gives you five linked tbars across the top of the hill for wind days and nice little pod of terrain in that spot if a bit short. Could also prove to be most reliable snow spot on the hill. Top not high/exposed enough to be affected by wind scour, bottom high enough to be above the marginal zone and the main face is a wind loading zone.

14. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Well if they are not going to replace Kosci when its life is done as has been suggested in this thread, relocate bottom to lower True Blue with top station at eagles nest. Low capacity lift with slow rides should match the terrain underneath well. Wind hold could be a slight issue though!

15. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

The old snowgums could end up being the ramshead replacement we've all been looking for, albeit slightly slower than what we were expecting.

On an unrelated note, what is the terrain under merritts like? Although I know it would never happen, its nice to dream about new runs and this seems to be one of the few areas in the leasehold that's perfect for new runs. Maybe in my fantasy world, the snowgums could service these runs.

16. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe they could do this;

1. Two stage replacement for Snowgums. First stage to around about top of current snowgums, with a second stage extension to pretty much the base of current Karels lift. This second stage would often be wind affected.
    2. Move snowgums so it’s base starts at old rams head tower 10, with its top toward the top of golf course bowl.

Sage Oya likes this.
  17. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

that's quite a bend

18. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I think everyone's missing the picture here. You're not thinking big enough.

Draw a line along the existing lift line and see where it ends up. Top station on top of Mt K. It's the obvious choice.

19. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

Top station at event HQ in Sydney

20. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

New plan. Thredbo scrap the second stage and give the old Snowgums double to a collection of rusted on Thredbo tragics. We then form a 'collective' which puts forward to Event a proposal to split Thredbo in two. One half is all the big chairs and blue groomers with village that continues on as a commercial resort. The other half goes to the 'collective'. It constitutes all the t-bars across the top of the mtn, including a new one to link Sponars to Basin and Snowgums old double goes from tower ten along the old Ramshead line to near the bottom of Basin t-bar for access to the t-bars, even in wind. Map below outlines the split with the new Thredbo tbar crusty collective resort in yellow - the red line in the middle is Snowgums. It also includes the funny bit at the bottom which constitutes the flats around Tower Ten/lower World Cup/Meadows for car parking/facilities (bbq's, picnic tables, coffee van or two, pub and some toilets I suppose). The tail down the bottom is a management trail that links to the road network through Crackenback ridge to provide the collective vehicle access. We build a Trump styled wall all the way down Kosci's west side till it crosses World Cup, cause we don't want no commercial resort numpty tracking out the Bluff/Cannonball and beyond.

Ok we need a name and cash to fund it, who's in?

Annabuzzy, Sage Oya and LMB like this.
  21. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Ha ha ha

Telemark Phat likes this.
  22. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’d not mind a double chair into TV. Ain’t gunna happen though without a DA and decade long approval process...

...and then it won’t happen.

There be Pygmy possums there.

zac150 likes this.
  23. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Right now I would be happy for Thredbo to upgrade their website! It’s the little things that make it harder.

As an example the invite a friend seems a token effort when compared to epic’s email system.

Snow Blowey, LMB and LaNeige like this.
  24. LMB

And the discount is so minimal that it’s totally not worth queueing up to buy a day pass each day if more than a single day as the multi-day standard discount is better. Can they not apply that 5% discount to a multi day? I mean really, is it too much?

25. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

I think it's probably a full rebuild, they'll have learned what trying to shoehorn a complex site into an off-the-shelf platform does. It must be a million bucks they are looking at to redo*

*figure pulled from bum

zac150 likes this.
  26. linked_recoveries

Ha ha!

climberman likes this.
  27. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

They have systems limitations with the front end and the back end. Different systems which require a lot of human intervention to get them playing nicely together.
    This is being looked at and better more user friendly systems will be on the way. Not this season though.

28. climberman

It's obvious to anyone who uses it is has 'limitations'. Mainly there are limitations to being able to effectively purchase products from their product stable, which is a bummer of a thing for an e-commerce site LOL

They did a quick change and it might have been the right decision at the time but, you know, Time/Cost/Quality - pick any two!

29. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Yeah well. You know what I mean.:(

As much as they would love to do certain things on the front end and have the capability to do so, they just can't do them because of the limitations on the back end. They're not alone, all 5 majors have the same issues.

The Epic system is a totally stand alone system hosted in the US with big $$$ thrown at it which can only be justified through volume with their stable of resorts. Something a stand alone resort like Thredbo just cannot justify. But then again you don't need to spend the Epic $$$ to get a great system.

LaNeige, LMB and climberman like this.
  30. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

I've been told that multiple website changes are being made for next season by multiple guest services employees. Nobody has given me any specifics though.

31. climberman

LOL sounds like trouble LOL

32. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Whenever somebody mentions a bespoke system, I ask if they will have a permanent team to support it, cause that's the only way it will work. Clearly Vail can justify this, but for everyone else, just go off the shelf.

Bogong likes this.
  33. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Its 5-50% depending what day/holidays.

If we paid IT people less, then we could have better websites. Hahaha, its kind of true.

LMB likes this.
  34. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Stand alone isn't necessarily bespoke.

If we focus on the back end then what Vail have is essentially the same as Thredbo. Believe it or not. Vail have just in-housed it because it's old and grey and unsupported. So they're going to milk the living daylights out of it because it would cost them too much to change.

Smoke and mirrors. The $$$ has been pushed to the front end to hide the wrinkles.

Where Thredbo are going will be smoking hot.

35. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

More t bars.

LaNeige likes this.
  36. linked_recoveries

More ski-up schnapps'n'grappa bars.

sastrugi and LMB like this.
  37. LMB

Like we need anymore skiers off their faces LOL
    Was it not something like 29/30 drug tests in snowys clubs turned up positive for cocaine ...
    Not enough snow, let turn to the blow?

38. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Nah, put some nutcracker tows in.
    • They're cheap to build,
    • They run at twice the speed of T-bars and
    • Most importantly, nufties have trouble riding 'em, meaning they stay away from the interesting slopes that nutcracker tows usually serve.

39. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

A steady stream of scalpings and de-glovings in NZ??? No dramas....limited liability bro.
    The flipside of course being that "anything goes". Which is fine by me....to an extent

40. Bogong

Well as well as NZ, there are nutcracker tows running at a small resort in Australia as well as a few backcountry locations and even with our notorious ambulance chasing lawyers and harsh liability laws, there have never been any legal problems with them in Australia.

In any case nutcrackers tows are indisputably safer than Doppelmayr chairlifts at Thredbo. :p

hpsauce likes this.
  41. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I second this

42. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

I'm no lift engineer, but I was wondering, if they built a snowgums express, would it be basically wind proof? The current snowgums can operate up to 80kmh, and out of all the lifts in thredbo it definitely seems to swing a lot more than the others (possibly due to weight because it's only a double chair, and it has slats). If it were a six pack, for example, could it run up to, say, 100kmh or so?

43. Bogong

Both the big lift makers (Poma and Doppelmayr) have a range of models, with differing terminals, towers, arrangements of sheaves, fixed grip or detachable, etc.

Customers such as ski resorts can specify various combinations to make a lift to their tastes. Chairlifts can be built that are highly resistant to winds, but they cost more. If winds are really strong, a "funitel" (essentially a twin cable gondola) can be built, they can operate in all but the most extreme conditions.

Telemark Phat and Alleve like this.
  44. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

Unfortunately KT would never invest in a funitel though.

Bogong likes this.
  45. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Perhaps now they might? Things change when accidents happen and a reputation is at stake.

46. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

Yeah but where would they put it? They don't need a cabin lift anywhere other than Merritts, which doesn't need to be a funitel and has already been ordered anyway.

47. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Do you seriously think that KT's reputation is at risk anywhere other than in this thread? The average punter has moved on and has probably already forgotten about it. Scrolling through comments on Thredbo's facebook feed and there is no mention anywhere.

Alleve and zac150 like this.
  48. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We need a T shirt.

“I rode the gunbarrel express and survived”

Along with a good graphic

Could add it to my Smiggens Holes 2010 T Shirt collection

JG, LMB, Alleve and 1 other person like this.
  49. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

"just hanging at Thredbo" could be another one.

JG, LMB, DPS Driver and 1 other person like this.
  50. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What about “snows not the only thing that falls at Thredbo”