1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by climberman, Sep 18, 2013.

1. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

It's raining men ...

2. Alleve

Alleve Hard Yards

We're talking a lot of crap about the death barrel, but honestly you're more likely to die of old age on the merritts than you are falling off a chair on the gunbarrel

3. kylep

kylep One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If not death barrel then it needs to be drop-barrel. Can someone draw a drop-bear on skis hanging from a cable?

(In good taste should probably avoid fall/slide for obvious Thredbo reasons)

LMB and Alleve like this.
  4. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Ski industry worldwide is small, don't underestimate it.

LMB likes this.
  5. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

That may be so but I think you’re missing the point. Chairs aren’t supposed to just drop off cables. Absolutely certainly not twice in three years. Riding these chairs is not supposed to be any sort of lottery, no matter how unlikely it is to happen to you. It’s not supposed to happen to anybody. And the operator shouldn’t be allowed to just shrug it off.

On top of that a lot of the chat isn’t about the chair falling it’s about KT’s utterly feeble communication around the matter. “Yes a chair fell, but nobody died, it was some sort of act of god, so not our fault, and it was running shortly afterwards anyway, nothing to see here ... oh look there’s something shiny over there!”

Two times in three years means we shouldn’t accept it being swept under the carpet ... again. I hope there’s been a fit and proper investigation and response because it’s literally a life or death situation. I wouldn’t like to be in a position of responsibility if it happens again with a worse outcome.

hipo, Ted Harper, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  6. Alleve

Alleve Hard Yards

I get the point, don't worry. I was referring to the jokes everyone's making (the nickname deathbarrel, etc), not the legitimate concern over the safety of the lift

linked_recoveries likes this.
  7. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

The Aussie response: shock, disbelief, anger, concern, then humour ... too soon?

I hope ‘Deathbarrel’ stays the course. I’ll be using it. I imagine KT will hate it. And that’s probably the point.

LMB and scottski like this.
  8. scottski

scottski A Local

And that is probably why a few well placed T shirts for sale might get a reaction .

LMB likes this.
  9. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I don't think the ski industry pumps cash into Thredbo. The paying public does and the sentiment on most social media is that the incident has been forgotten about already. As for staff not working at Thredbo because of it, plenty more to replace them. Ski industry suppliers will still support them.

This place is a bit of a positive feedback loop at times.

10. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Someone design it and I’ll get one printed.
    I’m computer/graphic design illiterate.

11. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You could have some fun with it, deathbarrel the chair drop bears ride in Thredbo

Or
    It’s this or deathbarre

(Instead if discount ski lift) death barrel alternate

12. Alleve

Alleve Hard Yards

You could just straight up print a picture of the incident on the shirt. It's less creative though

Of course there's the classic "I survived the deathbarrel express" but that's even less creative still