Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Lifted, within boundary. With a connect back to the Basin. and GCB.

thredbo south lifted.jpeg

eagles nest to thredbo south.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JG and Alleve

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
This is more a Thredbo UN development post but thought this might be the closest fit for it.

I bought a Merritts Chair at the Charity Auction some time ago, it’s been a work in progress getting it to Perth and organising someone to turn it into a feature for our house rather than a rusty old bit of history.

But it’s almost done…
We have had a frame made for it so that it can be a porch swing/seat.
5CE083EA-7C58-4202-99D7-823FE4942BB8.jpeg

It’s back from the powder coaters and just getting the finishing touches now before the big reveal and delivery.

9FC451F6-8574-4664-9380-D96F8D1C2A85.jpeg

It will be awesome to have a piece of Thredbo history for us to sit on while we are far from snow in Perth. And it’ll be a great teaching tool to get my nieces and nephews used to “getting off a chairlift” ahead of introducing them to the snow.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
The one thing I see missing from all this "planning", is investment in the next gen snowmaking, without which all of this is useless. The current tech will not stop the season from getting shorter.

Or doesn't CC exist?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Run freezer pipes under the ground, next gen snowmaking (can make dry powder or whatever you need @100% humididity, like under water, at 10C) and we are saved!

#telecragforworldemperor

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
The one thing I see missing from all this "planning", is investment in the next gen snowmaking, without which all of this is useless. The current tech will not stop the season from getting shorter.

Or doesn't CC exist?
You mean like this snowmaking investment?

1628463156227.png

Reactions: Alleve

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Thats just investment in existing tech. They should be investing in working on new tech. Rather than hoping someone else will do it, and you can just buy it off them.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Capture.PNG
A page I noticed in the Snowy Mountains SAP. A few comments:

1. - A gondola from Jindy to Thredbo would never work. Even from Bullocks flat, it's a stretch - ~13kms long, not accounting for bends. This image shows the straight line distance between SkiTube carpark and Thredbo Overflow carpark.
1.PNG

2. - Ski resort expansion may be on the cards in 10 years. Thredbo is likely the only resort to meet the criteria of "all year round". Not sure how much money they'll wanna spend after their $100 million lift replacement bonanza.
3. - In order to support an expansion, Thredbo will need more beds. I saw something in the SAP about more accommodation being built at VT tennis courts and on the golf course, reducing the course to 6 holes + extension of Alpine Hotel.
Why do you say a gondola from Bullocks would never work? The distance and path are not issues.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Thats just investment in existing tech. They should be investing in working on new tech. Rather than hoping someone else will do it, and you can just buy it off them.
The existing snow making companies are working on better tech and there are some big leaps being made in chemical free positive temp delivery.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
This is more a Thredbo UN development post but thought this might be the closest fit for it.

I bought a Merritts Chair at the Charity Auction some time ago, it’s been a work in progress getting it to Perth and organising someone to turn it into a feature for our house rather than a rusty old bit of history.

But it’s almost done…
We have had a frame made for it so that it can be a porch swing/seat.
5CE083EA-7C58-4202-99D7-823FE4942BB8.jpeg

It’s back from the powder coaters and just getting the finishing touches now before the big reveal and delivery.

9FC451F6-8574-4664-9380-D96F8D1C2A85.jpeg

It will be awesome to have a piece of Thredbo history for us to sit on while we are far from snow in Perth. And it’ll be a great teaching tool to get my nieces and nephews used to “getting off a chairlift” ahead of introducing them to the snow.
Please tell me you haven't discarded my favourite component of the Merritts chair, the green garden hose covered chain and pin?

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
If KT has worked out they can get the required level of snow made on fewer days by upgrading the pumphouse, why would they bother investing in new tech?

What part of KT, or even the wider Event group, strikes you as being capable of successful R & D?

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma

Or doesn't CC exist?
Did you see how good the snow was in July? CC is a myth........ based on my one month of observational 'how good was the skiing' data...... oohh I actually only skied 5/6 days but the snow was sooo cold and dry CC can't possibly be true.

Reactions: telecrag

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
some new accommodation would be nice. Current price pressure would suggest the market can absordb it
I really hope a majority of any new accom at Thredbo is through hotel style beds available to the wider public.

There is wayyyyy too much beds in either private apartments, or private lodges. Lots of the lodges don't want a bar of non-members, and apartments just become playthings for the owners, who either only use it themselves or rent only to the friends and family. Both the apartment owners and lodge members would rather their beds be empty than rented to outsiders

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
I’m really enjoying the latest upgrades to Thredbo.
Exclusivity. Premium private ski resort.
No need for valet parking, only 9 cars in the carpark at 8am.
Apart from snotty little TRC race kids the slopes are mine. And a good thing too.
No need to bang a gong. It would ruin the ambiance.
May it continue.

43B16DAA-4C1F-42C0-9F83-0D7939ACD23F.jpeg
81E95D94-6C5A-44AA-85D7-E6646478A213.jpeg

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Why do you say a gondola from Bullocks would never work? The distance and path are not issues.
- Firstly, 13km of gondola is incredibly expensive. It'd be the longest gondola in the world - currently the longest in the Zlatibor Gold Gondola in Serbia at 9km.

- Secondly, gondolas only travel at 18kmh (5ms). A ride on a 13km gondola would take upwards of 43 minutes, plus slowdowns for misloads, slowdowns at the corners, etc.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
4 new chairs, plus the new easy rider tbar, plus Merrits restaurant, plus mountain biking trails, plus new snowmaking, plus new car parks * 2, plus new Thredboland facility seems like a heck of a lot for 7 years.

I'll be absolutely stunned if Diver can pull that off
Plus an Alpine coaster, plus a zipline, plus new maintenance facilities.

At least he's ambitious. Given how slow the Department is, I'd put it on a 100 year timeline

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
- Firstly, 13km of gondola is incredibly expensive. It'd be the longest gondola in the world - currently the longest in the Zlatibor Gold Gondola in Serbia at 9km.

- Secondly, gondolas only travel at 18kmh (5ms). A ride on a 13km gondola would take upwards of 43 minutes, plus slowdowns for misloads, slowdowns at the corners, etc.
So perfect then! Mtbers will use it in the other 8 month season, and the tourists will love it. Everyone (just ask anyone on the street!) said that the chaos on opening weekend, a total record breaker by all accounts, was at least 50% non sliders. Its the biggest growing segment of the market.

Principal Douglas

Big Fan
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
Coaster and zipline have been spoken about for a long time. I think they're coming sooner rather than later. I just hope they get a bit more ambitious with the coaster than the plans I've seen. I want top to bottom coaster!

Reactions: LaNeige and Alleve

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
So perfect then! Mtbers will use it in the other 8 month season, and the tourists will love it. Everyone (just ask anyone on the street!) said that the chaos on opening weekend, a total record breaker by all accounts, was at least 50% non sliders. Its the biggest growing segment of the market.
I agree, it'd be great. I just don't think they have the money (or more accurately, the will to spend that much money) on it. Itd be an incredibly expensive project to undertake. Likely upwards of 50, 60 million.
Coaster and zipline have been spoken about for a long time. I think they're coming sooner rather than later. I just hope they get a bit more ambitious with the coaster than the plans I've seen. I want top to bottom coaster!
Same. I want at least Merritts to bottom Alpine coaster. SG mid to VT is only 120m vertical.

Reactions: telecrag

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014

But what if Twin Valleys was part of Thredbo resort?

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017

Technical update, the new Doppelmeyer S3 gondolas travel at 8.5ms.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Technical update, the new Doppelmeyer S3 gondolas travel at 8.5ms.
That improves the speed issue, but makes the cost issue way worse. Cable cars are much more expensive than gondolas, while maintaining the same capacity (a D-Line 10 gondola has a capacity of 4000pph. Whistler's Peak2Peak has a capacity of 4100pph).

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
That improves the speed issue, but makes the cost issue way worse. Cable cars are much more expensive than gondolas, while maintaining the same capacity (a D-Line 10 gondola has a capacity of 4000pph. Whistler's Peak2Peak has a capacity of 4100pph).
They are not a cable car, they are a triple rope gondola and are capable of moving up 5500pph. No arguments about the cost however, they would be dearer than a traditional gondola.

@djam Is the expert on S3's around here, I have been following his proposal for one at Buller with much interest.

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
It's why mid station was so important. TTB days were so rare that it was cause for a buzz in the skiing community.
I can't recall where the 28 number came from, it's just been stuck in my head for a long time.

As a boy who grew up skiing on Baw Baw, I'm proud of my skiing to low elevation achievements. Including a day on the old Baw Baw access chairlift where we were getting off at mid-station* and skiing the bottom half because it was more fun. That's approximately from 1290m to 1140m elevation and was as good a day that I've had in any OZ resort.

*mid-station was only designed for loading, we really pissed the towie off. A couple of us landed in the safety basket and one mate even jumped off after it. The things ya got away with in the old days :D

Reactions: LaNeige

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
I still remember Thredbo trailmaps that showed the Golf Course Bowl extension and lift as coming soon. I think that was in the '90s when Thredbo Club Card got you a free lift pass after every 5th day pass you bought.

Reactions: JG and Alleve

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
I can't work out why people want a gondola built from Thredbo to a car park in the middle of nowhere that already is at capacity. But I'm just a dumb bushy, carry on.
As much fun as I've had posting about Gondolas, I agree it doesn't make sense. Almost all the bad traffic issues I've experienced are between Jindi and the tube not after it. But I'm just a dumb bushy too :D

• Haha
Reactions: Alleve and skull

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
As much fun as I've had posting about Gondolas, I agree it doesn't make sense. Almost all the bad traffic issues I've experienced are between Jindi and the tube not after it. But I'm just a dumb bushy too :D
On seeing there is a triple cable gondola that can travel at 8.5m/s this afternoon, I could not resist the temptation to draw a straight line from Jindy town centre to Perisher Centre on up to top of Back Perisher Mtn. About 20km to Perisher centre plus another 2km to top of Back Perisher. Using average speed of 7.5m/s you'd be at top of Back Perisher mtn within 50 mins of leaving Jindy town centre. I'd use it at those travel times. Elevate cable over thredbo Valley, whistler peak to peak style would be spectacular and big all year round draw card.

So many good reasons for these ideas to never happen, but fun to think about.

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
here you go, make use of existing infrastructure. Have to make Bullock Flat Car Park a lot bigger.

thredbo LR.jpg
Linked with the tube and running all the way to Jindi would be nice. Plus I like looking at your modified pics, back to the drawing board please VSG

Reactions: VSG

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
@blue We could get our world record back for the worlds longest chairlift. Although lets not mention it's financial success or lack of.

Going way over the top of Thredbo river would be super cool.

Reactions: BlueHue

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
@blue We could get our world record back for the worlds longest chairlift. Although lets not mention it's financial success or lack of.

Going way over the top of Thredbo river would be super cool.
That's why I went Perisher with elevated cablen over thredbo Valley. It needs big numbers ie a competitive transport mode to Perisher in winter and a big draw card from non skiing tourists outside of ski season.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass