Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Exactly!
Thank god we have this website to preserve this information!
It’s not happening in the next two years that’s for sure!
diver will be able to blame red tape!
Obviously released to coincide with the SAP. All very wishful, wishful, maybe, hope so kinda stuff.

Principal Douglas

Big Fan
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
I for one am optimistic that some of it will be happening relatively soon

200.gif

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
I for one am optimistic that some of it will be happening relatively soon

200.gif
Do they even have a choice to do nothing given the current state of things re wind closures and a chair as crucial as kosci reportedly being end of life? I know the process at Perisher is slow but at least they have had a slow burn of replacing lifts over the years which likely would have included the Mt P 6 if not for covid.

Thredbo have a whole mtn of 30+ year old chairs.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Do they even have a choice to do nothing given the current state of things re wind closures and a chair as crucial as kosci reportedly being end of life? I know the process at Perisher is slow but at least they have had a slow burn of replacing lifts over the years which likely would have included the Mt P 6 if not for covid.

Thredbo have a whole mtn of 30+ year old chairs.
They could likely leave the Kosi for a while if they use it as much as the SG gets used now. The Cruiser could last for another 10 years too. As for the SG and GB, they're urgent (SG because of windhold and the Kosi's age, GB because it's too detachable). If nothing else, they'll get done. IMO all the lift replacements will happen.

I don't see why the new MTB wouldn't get build, nor why the Alpine coaster wouldn't get build. They're both cheap projects in previously disturbed areas. The Merritts Restaurant is also still on the cards.

The multi-storey carpark at FF may not happen. It's been approved, but KT have put it quite far back on the shelf. If it does happen, it won't be soon, if at all.

I dont know how they'll build the zipline they talk about. There's so much along the alignment (trees, etc) and so much wind on the Kosi line, I just don't get how it'll work

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
They could likely leave the Kosi for a while if they use it as much as the SG gets used now. The Cruiser could last for another 10 years too. As for the SG and GB, they're urgent (SG because of windhold and the Kosi's age, GB because it's too detachable). If nothing else, they'll get done. IMO all the lift replacements will happen.

I don't see why the new MTB wouldn't get build, nor why the Alpine coaster wouldn't get build. They're both cheap projects in previously disturbed areas. The Merritts Restaurant is also still on the cards.

The multi-storey carpark at FF may not happen. It's been approved, but KT have put it quite far back on the shelf. If it does happen, it won't be soon, if at all.

I dont know how they'll build the zipline they talk about. There's so much along the alignment (trees, etc) and so much wind on the Kosi line, I just don't get how it'll work
Yeh makes sense, SG and GB first, take the pressure of Kosci. With a mid on Gunbarrell where it crosses Dream Run (and appropriate lift capacity) you could have another little pod of terrain close to but seperate from Cruiser area - get more use out of Valley View and that line between Valley View and Ballroom as blue groomers. Might ease the pressure on cruiser a bit to, provide a windy day option to get up to Merritts via Gunbarrell mid -> lower dream run -> Gondola mid if Gunbarrell top is being pumelled by wind, also reduce skiers and wear and tear on high noon run out.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Yeh makes sense, SG and GB first, take the pressure of Kosci. With a mid on Gunbarrell where it crosses Dream Run (and appropriate lift capacity) you could have another little pod of terrain close to but seperate from Cruiser area - get more use out of Valley View and that line between Valley View and Ballroom as blue groomers. Might ease the pressure on cruiser a bit to, provide a windy day option to get up to Merritts via Gunbarrell mid -> lower dream run -> Gondola mid if Gunbarrell top is being pumelled by wind, also reduce skiers and wear and tear on high noon run out.
If we could get a mid on the GB I'd be very happy but I dont think it'll happen. The line would have to drop very quickly after crossing Merritts, and then rise even quicker in order to cross Dream Run. I'm not sure if it's actually possible for a lift, let alone a six chair, to be steep enough to allow a mid-station there to exist.

What I'm really hoping for is for the new SG to have two mids. We already know the Lovers Leap station will still exist but there's no word about the Bunny Walk station.

Reactions: BlueHue
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Might need to find another lift company then?

dopplmyer have the WIP pretty full with selwyn upgrades and Mt P lift.
The Mt P lift isn't happening anytime soon. Vail is only just starting to get going with their lift plans in the US, let alone here. I would expect SG before Mt P. Also, Doppelmayr have installed far more in a year before. In 1987, they installed 6 chairs in Aus, one of which was a detachable. They'll get it done.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
The Mt P lift isn't happening anytime soon. Vail is only just starting to get going with their lift plans in the US, let alone here. I would expect SG before Mt P. Also, Doppelmayr have installed far more in a year before. In 1987, they installed 6 chairs in Aus, one of which was a detachable. They'll get it done.
True. all that.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
If we could get a mid on the GB I'd be very happy but I dont think it'll happen. The line would have to drop very quickly after crossing Merritts, and then rise even quicker in order to cross Dream Run. I'm not sure if it's actually possible for a lift, let alone a six chair, to be steep enough to allow a mid-station there to exist.

What I'm really hoping for is for the new SG to have two mids. We already know the Lovers Leap station will still exist but there's no word about the Bunny Walk station.
Aahh ok not really up on the engineering side of design and build of ski lifts. I'd imagined in my head a mid would be a little way up or down from Dream Run with a little cat track to connect, probably near the bridge so novices/lower intermediates could use lower dream run as a link to Gondola mid without having to deal with the steeper bit.

If there were to be two mids on a Crackenback side lift, I'd go Kosci (assuming minimal changes in alignments). It has the extra length, vert and terrain diversity to allow breaking it up into three. Each seperate third would have something unique in its own right and would have the flexibility to handle a wide variety of snow and weather conditions.

Reactions: snowgum

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Earthworks start this summer for mt P lift.

There quite a bit that needs to be done before dopp comes in.
There is a D-Line six seater in Big Sky being built at the moment. Earthworks and foundations put in last summer, lift itself being put in now. Makes sense Mt P would be the same, with that building up the top. The Dep of Planning website still doesnt show the DA as approved yet, I didn't realise theyre going ahead with it now.

Aahh ok not really up on the engineering side of design and build of ski lifts. I'd imagined in my head a mid would be a little way up or down from Dream Run with a little cat track to connect, probably near the bridge so novices/lower intermediates could use lower dream run as a link to Gondola mid without having to deal with the steeper bit.

If there were to be two mids on a Crackenback side lift, I'd go Kosci (assuming minimal changes in alignments). It has the extra length, vert and terrain diversity to allow breaking it up into three. Each seperate third would have something unique in its own right and would have the flexibility to handle a wide variety of snow and weather conditions.
The tough thing is that they need something for racers to use. However, a mid at Bunny Walk will either be detachabe (and way too expensive, if theres even space for it), or fixed-grip like the Kosi (and will require the whole lift to be slowed down on race days). Having mids on the Kosi at milk run and the flats under Kareela (as pictured) would solve this issue, except the lift would still be affected by windhold because of the top section. They could avoid that windhold by making the lift a two-stager, but thats a very expensive fix to a small problem. If it were me, I'd put the mids on the Kosi and just put in a cheap rope tow for the racers to use. They're replacing Kosi last though, and they didn't even say how (could just be a terminal and grip replacement like Mt Bachelor did), so getting new mids on the crackenback side relies entirely on the new SG for the time being
Winter-2021-Tear-off-trail-map-no-QR-front-low-res.jpg

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
There is a D-Line six seater in Big Sky being built at the moment. Earthworks and foundations put in last summer, lift itself being put in now. Makes sense Mt P would be the same, with that building up the top. The Dep of Planning website still doesnt show the DA as approved yet, I didn't realise theyre going ahead with it now.

The tough thing is that they need something for racers to use. However, a mid at Bunny Walk will either be detachabe (and way too expensive, if theres even space for it), or fixed-grip like the Kosi (and will require the whole lift to be slowed down on race days). Having mids on the Kosi at milk run and the flats under Kareela (as pictured) would solve this issue, except the lift would still be affected by windhold because of the top section. They could avoid that windhold by making the lift a two-stager, but thats a very expensive fix to a small problem. If it were me, I'd put the mids on the Kosi and just put in a cheap rope tow for the racers to use. They're replacing Kosi last though, and they didn't even say how (could just be a terminal and grip replacement like Mt Bachelor did), so getting new mids on the crackenback side relies entirely on the new SG for the time being
Winter-2021-Tear-off-trail-map-no-QR-front-low-res.jpg
I thought it was approved years ago?

mans if it isn’t approved then I doubt Thredbo who haven’t even submitted a DA will be getting a new chairlift any time soon!

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra

Why does snowgums need 2 mids? The current lift takes ~25 mins to the top, so i can see why the 2 mids are needed.

But the new lift will be around 6-7 minutes. Why torch $x millions on construction of a 2nd mid which is barely 100 vm higher than the 1st?

The racers can slide down from Black Sallees, it's not exactly that far

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra

mans if it isn’t approved then I doubt Thredbo who haven’t even submitted a DA will be getting a new chairlift any time soon!
Mt P hasn't been approved yet, the last lot of docs were submitted by Perisher between early May and Mid June.

Reactions: Alleve and Ozgirl

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney

I'm not sure why it's taken so long. Merritts took 1 year and a half for approval IIRC, and Mt P has taken way longer than that. Working off the Merritts timeline, if they were to submit a DA for SG soon we could expect it 2023/24.

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
I'm not sure why it's taken so long. Merritts took 1 year and a half for approval IIRC, and Mt P has taken way longer than that. Working off the Merritts timeline, if they were to submit a DA for SG soon we could expect it 2023/24.
Merritts gondola DA app put in 22/02/2018, approved 22/01/2019, so 11 months.

It's no coincidence that Diver has come out with such public statements about development at this time. Year end accounts for KT will be largely done, they'll know their profit for this year, and the Event board will have been meeting to discuss results, future capex direction for the group and finally covid

1628826335413.png

The highlighted above indicates the docs that make up the DA are already being prepared. Given it was 25 years earlier the last time a lift went in, i reckon they learnt a lot during the gondola process and will hopefully be able to get it done a lot quicker this time

Reactions: Alleve

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Merritts gondola DA app put in 22/02/2018, approved 22/01/2019, so 11 months.

It's no coincidence that Diver has come out with such public statements about development at this time. Year end accounts for KT will be largely done, they'll know their profit for this year, and the Event board will have been meeting to discuss results, future capex direction for the group and finally covid

1628826335413.png

The highlighted above indicates the docs that make up the DA are already being prepared. Given it was 25 years earlier the last time a lift went in, i reckon they learnt a lot during the gondola process and will hopefully be able to get it done a lot quicker this time
Ah thanks, 11 months. Not sure why I thought it was longer than that. In that case, SG could open in 2023. They referred to working on the SG DA back in December in their end of year report, so it must be fairly far along by now. I'm really interested to see just what they're planning for their new workhorse life. Chondola, please?

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
4A29091B-BE7F-45FA-BD49-CD9C025A7FFD.jpeg
051F1172-B824-46B8-952C-6C1FE5CEB6C6.jpeg

Posted yesterday in another Thredbo Thread but feel the discussion is better here.

@Alleve you made the point you were surprised by the Merritts upgrade discussion, I’m not. Merritts is where it’s at they will build enough there that the family can ride all day off the Cruiser. Merritts also allows them to change the winter experience with on Mountain dining.

if you look through the notes everything is about monitising experience’s I won’t be surprised to see the old beginner bowl changed to allow end of day activities. The more they play up the village the more they separate themselves from Perisher.

as for new lifts, the best chance to get lifts is to show them how to add mountain bike tracks later.

Reactions: Alleve and LMB

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
4A29091B-BE7F-45FA-BD49-CD9C025A7FFD.jpeg
051F1172-B824-46B8-952C-6C1FE5CEB6C6.jpeg

Posted yesterday in another Thredbo Thread but feel the discussion is better here.

@Alleve you made the point you were surprised by the Merritts upgrade discussion, I’m not. Merritts is where it’s at they will build enough there that the family can ride all day off the Cruiser. Merritts also allows them to change the winter experience with on Mountain dining.

if you look through the notes everything is about monitising experience’s I won’t be surprised to see the old beginner bowl changed to allow end of day activities. The more they play up the village the more they separate themselves from Perisher.

as for new lifts, the best chance to get lifts is to show them how to add mountain bike tracks later.
My surprise was more to do with them talking about planning the restaurant when the plan and DA are already in. Maybe they had a change of heart as to what they want, but I wouldve thought they'd just use their already existing and approved plan.

I'm really excited to see the Alpine coaster DA. I wonder if they'll keep the bobsled around or dismantle it when the coaster goes it. Probably the latter

D_Dog

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2005
Sydney
Why isn't Thredbo installing slushi machines like Buller and Baw Baw?
Friday flat and all the lower runouts (Supertrail, Highnoon, Sundowner, etc) seem like perfect places for them.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
My surprise was more to do with them talking about planning the restaurant when the plan and DA are already in. Maybe they had a change of heart as to what they want, but I wouldve thought they'd just use their already existing and approved plan.

I'm really excited to see the Alpine coaster DA. I wonder if they'll keep the bobsled around or dismantle it when the coaster goes it. Probably the latter
I had heard on the grapevine they had a buyer for the Bobsled so I’d imagine it will be sold

Reactions: Alleve

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Why isn't Thredbo installing slushi machines like Buller and Baw Baw?
Friday flat and all the lower runouts (Supertrail, Highnoon, Sundowner, etc) seem like perfect places for them.

Friday flat is an inversion zone so it gets good snow making conditions more than most other areas of the resort. Same goes for all areas low down.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Friday flat is an inversion zone so it gets good snow making conditions more than most other areas of the resort. Same goes for all areas low down.
If we had normal skier traffic and operations this season the link to Kosi on Milk Run and the link to Gunbarrell on lower Sundowner and lower High Noon would be broken well before closing weekend. They are perilously thin now. Any new snow on the hill now is just paste. The 50mm of thunderstorm rain a couple weeks ago draining out of the DH mtb track almost cut across in front of Ski in Ski out.
Even Friday Flat does not have a complete cover.
We had a couple of nights snowmaking just before lockdown and 9 days straight in July to deepen the base.
The last two seasons the snow evaporated well before closing weekend.
I agree the slushy machine can make snow irrespective of external weather conditions and is needed.
I understand it was the expense of operating it.
I even heard just before lockdown they were going to operate snow guns in off peak power pricing for the remainder of the season. But besides those two days week before last we'll never know.

Reactions: D_Dog and telecrag
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass