Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
The tower 10 to top of Karels (Or f it! One hump higher so GCB is easily lappable with no hiking!) chair is the lift all us old Thredbovians dream of, but we all know it’ll never happen cos of:

- wind
- increasing snow cover unreliability in cannonball area
- $$$ is rarely nowadays spent on advanced terrain infrastructure
- the vibe

but like you all, I will keep dreamin about it

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
The tower 10 to top of Karels (Or f it! One hump higher so GCB is easily lappable with no hiking!) chair is the lift all us old Thredbovians dream of, but we all know it’ll never happen cos of:

- wind
- the vibe

You could create feasible blue groomers off top station near Karels along upper Supertrail alignment then linking into World Cup, True Blue around Kareela Hut and below. Nice long blue runs. Bottom of True Blue and World CUp would need a snowmaking upgrade for sure though for reliability. I'd actually put the bottom station fractionally higher. Around that random lone tree near bottom of Little Beauty - easy to kick in from True Blue and World Cup to that spot. Its those drainage lines coming out of Little Beauty and flat swampy bit around tower ten that loose the snow fast. It'd need a new traverse out of Funnel Web from slightly higher up to get across to the slightly higher base station. The different bottom station creates an angle that moves the lift alignment away from riparian zone that Ramshead travelling through, which from what I've heard is an environmental constraint of old ramshead lift line but that would probably be offset by impacts on other spots outside of the old alignment

The slow old Snowgums lift should keep the numbers accessing GCB down reasonably well, although the current setup obviously better for maintaining freshies in there. For windy day a mid station at bottom of basin should be able to operate fairly reliably meaning you can still get to Basin/Karels when the winds up - something you currently cant' do when Kosci closes due to wind. How much fun would GCB be on those days when Kosci closes due to wind!

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

- wind
- the vibe

I cant think of anything worse than an easily lappable GCB.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Couldn't agree more, have been anti GCB lifting forever and will continue to be vocal about it too.
I don't want to make it too easy but surely there is a better solution than two tbars (one of which is prone to congestion) to get out the side there.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
I don't want to make it too easy but surely there is a better solution than two tbars (one of which is prone to congestion) to get out the side there.
You can access it from Kosci chair if you know where you're going. And if you really know where you're going you can do that in a blizzard and not be seen ducking ropes, and get freshies all day long :evil: We do not want, or need, it lifted!

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
And if you really know where you're going you can do that in a blizzard and not be seen ducking ropes, and get freshies all day long :evil:
Problem is when you're not in a blizzard it gives other people ideas, especially after a few laps when the trail becomes obvious.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Problem is when you're not in a blizzard it gives other people ideas, especially after a few laps when the trail becomes obvious.
As I've always said though, if you can't ski the GCB you shouldn't be there. If the access is made easy, every man and his dog will be in there. Make the approach difficult, and it will put many off. If the approach doesn't put people off, the exit certainly will. I know many who never attempt the exit twice :)

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Not that many people ski it, relatively speaking and even if it was lifted, many would still turn right off the lift and ski away from it. Look at Stanleys and yes even the Powder Bowl, most people still enter the powder bowl too low and miss the best bit.

If you want to ski GCB you can get there without too much hassle was my point. Even if there was a lift, many people wouldn't be bothered. They just ski with blinkers on.

I'm not in favour of making it lifted but I don't think it would be the end of the world if it was.

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Once there's an easily identifiable series of tracks (and people laying them) other people will be tempted to follow those tracks, whether they should or not. That's a bad scene from patrol's perspective. The GCB should be left for people who know where it is and how to get there. There's not really any doubt; they're not putting a lift up that bowl any decade soon.

Reactions: sastrugi

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Just to roll things along.. .

(click for larger, more legible....)
new thredbo.jpg

Reactions: D_Dog and Alleve

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Or are they on the right side of the rope. What rope???? Perspective is wonderful thing.
I was introduced to poaching this year as I have always been a goody two-shoes, oh my I am converted. I will be ducking rope more often, I just need to make myself look less conspicuous.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Just to roll things along.. .

(click for larger, more legible....)
new thredbo.jpg

As much as I like this, I'm not sure how the wind would work on that top section above Sasha's Schuss. The rest of the line is wind-protected but that top section might kill it

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
As much as I like this, I'm not sure how the wind would work on that top section above Sasha's Schuss. The rest of the line is wind-protected but that top section might kill it
Yes. We are all in agreement on that. I guess there is tech now that partly alleviates... i.e Gondolas, or even the windshielded chairs that were discussed earlier... :)

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Just the wind scour and boilerplate ice, that you have to skate across before you get down to the protected slopes. Done that many times, descending Thredbo's full 650m plus vertical from Karels to Valley Terminal... that top bit can bite. :)

Reactions: sastrugi

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
The Powder Bowl was easy to get to back in the T-Bar days. No one skied it because of the traverse, put the lift in and boom, the powder was gone. A single lift ride for the GCB would be just as terrrible.
Like Strawberry Fields at Hanazono. Every man and his dog whether they can ski or not is straight there off the chair.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Just the wind scour and boilerplate ice, that you have to skate across before you get down to the protected slopes. Done that many times, descending Thredbo's full 650m plus vertical from Karels to Valley Terminal... that top bit can bite. :)
That's another great element that keeps the masses away from the good stuff. We've spent many years skiing that shit to find some great hidden turns, and put a lot of friends off in the meantime LOL

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Start by removing enough trees to open up more tree skiing! Its eco tourism at work!

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Reinstate Ramshead from creek station to the top of Frank's face
I'd say terminating to the DHG side in one of the sheltered lees between the rocks. Should be able to avoid most of the windhold whilst providing accessibility to GCB and Funnelweb

Reactions: Alleve

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I'd say terminating to the DHG side in one of the sheltered lees between the rocks. Should be able to avoid most of the windhold whilst providing accessibility to GCB and Funnelweb

Something like that, needs to go to at least top of Frank's Face height to be affective for all. That would allow low intermediates to access super trail laps and advanced to go adventuring. Start at Creek Station. Would work for spring skiing as well.

Doesn't need to start in the village.

Reactions: fenrir

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
why do people want more people to access these runs? Leave it difficult so it stops too many people going across
It might send more traffic around Funnel Web but I doubt it will increase traffic to GCB. Most skiers are going to struggle in there even if it's accessible,

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
It might send more traffic around Funnel Web but I doubt it will increase traffic to GCB. Most skiers are going to struggle in there even if it's accessible,
HERE is the issue. If it's lifted and more skiers are going to head there, then it WILL be groomed, signposted ,over-patrolled and made 'safe', then we lose our one fun playground left on the hill. I have a great idea. Let's leave it with difficult access in and out and keep enjoying as it :D

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
HERE is the issue. If it's lifted and more skiers are going to head there, then it WILL be groomed, signposted ,over-patrolled and made 'safe', then we lose our one fun playground left on the hill. I have a great idea. Let's leave it with difficult access in and out and keep enjoying as it :D
First rule of GCB.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
It's hard enough to groom Funnel Web, they need to anchor the groomer to those massive concrete blocks. It may sound like heresy but I wish they would do it more often so you could Mach it down there.

They aren't ever going to get a machine down GCB.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Most skiers are going to struggle in there even if it's accessible,
that is the problem though, you get people who have over estimated their ability and traverse across now, then find out they have over committed once they are in too deep. It would only increase with easier access.

Reactions: LMB

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
If it gets summer groomed, it will be able to have some areas winter groomed.
Summer grooming to get to the point of being able to regularly winter groom comes with some pretty serious environmental concerns. I wonder if they'd ever get that through the approval process.

I can see an argument for lifting upper sections above the steeper shots in the trees. Would provide similar experience to basin/karels ie using gentle leeward slopes for easier cruisy skiing with the steep short sharp wind loaded shots probably accessed via some wind scour/rock dodging for more experienced.

Problem is if you lifted it for intermediates you need to make it as easy/accesible as possible which probably means a chair and a top to bottom lift that provides direct access which still means a single lift ride to access the lower treed less skied parts of GCB.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass