Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Have to say I disagree with the sentiment on that one, but this is one of my fave T-Bo T-Bar boarder stacks-

F867A2F5-1065-48BA-816D-0350B5ABD2F6.jpeg

My two buddies fell, got locked into one another (face first) and the T stuck in there too, and got dragged up for what felt like half the lift before they finally came unstuck. As a skier, riding with another skier, I was able to turn around to document the spectacle for them, including a vid I won’t share here.. ;)
Classic!

Not at Thredbo but one of my mates really leaned into the optics whilst the other was oblivious.

_20200806_134141.jpg

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Have to say I disagree with the sentiment on that one, but this is one of my fave T-Bo T-Bar boarder stacks-

F867A2F5-1065-48BA-816D-0350B5ABD2F6.jpeg

My two buddies fell, got locked into one another (face first) and the T stuck in there too, and got dragged up for what felt like half the lift before they finally came unstuck. As a skier, riding with another skier, I was able to turn around to document the spectacle for them, including a vid I won’t share here.. ;)
One of my best friends came to grief on a board at that exact same spot, the T hit the pylon then her head and she was knocked out cold. With a helmet on. Not one of my fave t-bar stack memories :(

BTW, you can share the vid here... we're all friends ;)

• Haha
Reactions: telecrag and AJS
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
One of my best friends came to grief on a board at that exact same spot, the T hit the pylon then her head and she was knocked out cold. With a helmet on. Not one of my fave t-bar stack memories :(

BTW, you can share the vid here... we're all friends ;)

Your poor friend, hope they recovered ok!!

Reactions: sastrugi

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
Also got a DA in for services upgrade for Merritts Restaurant with:
1651285127777.png

1651285045356.png

Which i guess means the Restaurant rebuild won't happen till the 23/24 summer?

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Where are you finding the DA info? Most sources no longer update as far as I can tell anymore.
Gotta love the Govt's IT, they took a perfectly functioning website and replaced it with a website that's way harder to use
Just found this little graphic on Events Investor section:
  • Alpine Coaster - 22/23 summer
  • More Cruiser bike park - 22/23 and 23/24 summers
  • Snowgums chair replacement in 23/24 summer
  • Preliminary construction on Merritts Restaurant also 23/24 summer

https://www.evt.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Ord-Minnett-Leisure-Tourism-Gaming-Conference.pdf

1651285599103.png
I wonder what Cruiser MTB stages 2 and 3 will entail. Will be interesting to see. If they want to build the Snowgums for 2024, they better get on with submitting a DA because they won't get approval in time otherwise

Reactions: Jacko4650
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
Gotta love the Govt's IT, they took a perfectly functioning website and replaced it with a website that's way harder to use

I wonder what Cruiser MTB stages 2 and 3 will entail. Will be interesting to see. If they want to build the Snowgums for 2024, they better get on with submitting a DA because they won't get approval in time otherwise
I'm guessing some lights to enable night comps, maybe another easy trail as well

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
Reactions: Alleve and RustyJ

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Whilst the concept is sound I would think that area will need significant regrading to be an affective beginner area.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
where is the DA for the snowgums replacement?
I had my hopes up for when I saw there were new posts in the thread. Alas...
Gunbarrel is going to have to function correctly a couple of more times first.
If KT want to get the DA passed quickly, they should frame it from a compassionate standpoint - ie "if you let us replace the lift, the poor wombats living under the lift line won't have to worry about chairs dropping on them". NPWS will love that

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I had my hopes up for when I saw there were new posts in the thread. Alas...

If KT want to get the DA passed quickly, they should frame it from a compassionate standpoint - ie "if you let us replace the lift, the poor wombats living under the lift line won't have to worry about chairs dropping on them". NPWS will love that
Planning wouldn't be convinced, the Gunbarrel chairs are meant to detach.

• Haha
Reactions: fenrir and Alleve

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Had a read through the FF DA and was surprised to see that the point of the new carpet is to allow the skidoo that transports the kids on a sled (which they've named Freddy) to be phased out, apparently due to safety and environmental concerns. It all started to make more sense when I got a bit further in and KT said it was concerned about people walking on snow to access the current ski school area.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Is mountain biking fun? Have always looked at it and thought it looks like a day of bushwalking wasted. Put it this way: is it as fun as skiing/boarding in reasonable or better snow conditions?
A reasonable day MTB I think better than a reasonable ski.

A fantastic day skiing wins hands down though.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Lot of windhold this week, and Gunbarrel has kept turning.
Wind but not freak gusts. The top tower realignment had nothing to do with whatever the problem was, just a weird localised squall.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Is mountain biking fun? Have always looked at it and thought it looks like a day of bushwalking wasted. Put it this way: is it as fun as skiing/boarding in reasonable or better snow conditions?
From my contacts in healthcare I can tell you that the consequences of mountain bike falls are worse on average than anything on skis. Depends if it's the risk factor that makes it fun. If so...yes?

Reactions: Ramshead and Alleve

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
I hope they double the capacity for bikes on the Gunbarrel. They'll need it. That side of the hill will be mucho fun in the future.
Kosi for speed, Gunner for fun.
When they replace it, it'll presumably be a six-pack, which would mean triple the bike capacity (3 per chair). Not having chairs falling off the cable tends to increase capacity too

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
MTB is similar in a way to skiing IMO, but the consequence of minor failure is much higher. More people die skiing, but more people get hurt MTB. The danger of either is not what attracts me, its the way it feels. MTB doesn't require snow, so the season is much longer. But the freedom of skiing kicks MTB's butt for mine. If I could ski every day, I would never have discovered the joy of MTB.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
From my contacts in healthcare I can tell you that the consequences of mountain bike falls are worse on average than anything on skis. Depends if it's the risk factor that makes it fun. If so...yes?
Fractured my scaphoid skiing in 2020. Doc just laughed and said this is nothing compared to what mtn bikers do to their wrists.

Reactions: LMB

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Speaking as a long term skier and bushwalker, and someone quite new to MTB, I think it’s bloody fantastic!! Couple of disclaimers - I don’t do the downhill but love flow trails, and I have an EMTB.

A few years back I went to Thredbo in summer for a yoga festival and took my crappy little bike we’d found in an apartment building storage as I was the only one of a group of friends who wasn’t doing any biking. I was pretty fit from thrice weekly yoga & Pilates. I nailed that TVT in a way that had me punching the air like it was a fantastic windblown powder day, and finally I ‘got’ what it was all about. None of my friends could believe I hadn’t done it before.

Cut to now, and 8 months ago we both invested in emtbs for +1’s significant birthday. We’re hooked… and he hasn’t even done trails yet! We have a fantastic network of dirt roads around us and can do 50km or so rides without even touching bitumen. This summer we will be exploring trails at Eildon and Mt Stirling. My main gripe with it is we never have enough time for it. I’m keen to take the bikes to Tassie too. I’m currently more keen to plan bike holidays than ski holidays.

@climberman nailed it when he said “a reasonable day MTB I think better than a reasonable ski.

A fantastic day skiing wins hands down though.“

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Speaking as a long term skier and bushwalker, and someone quite new to MTB, I think it’s bloody fantastic!! Couple of disclaimers - I don’t do the downhill but love flow trails, and I have an EMTB.

A few years back I went to Thredbo in summer for a yoga festival and took my crappy little bike we’d found in an apartment building storage as I was the only one of a group of friends who wasn’t doing any biking. I was pretty fit from thrice weekly yoga & Pilates. I nailed that TVT in a way that had me punching the air like it was a fantastic windblown powder day, and finally I ‘got’ what it was all about. None of my friends could believe I hadn’t done it before.

Cut to now, and 8 months ago we both invested in emtbs for +1’s significant birthday. We’re hooked… and he hasn’t even done trails yet! We have a fantastic network of dirt roads around us and can do 50km or so rides without even touching bitumen. This summer we will be exploring trails at Eildon and Mt Stirling. My main gripe with it is we never have enough time for it. I’m keen to take the bikes to Tassie too. I’m currently more keen to plan bike holidays than ski holidays.

@climberman nailed it when he said “a reasonable day MTB I think better than a reasonable ski.

A fantastic day skiing wins hands down though.“
I like this response. Thanks for taking the time. Am tempted. Would partic like to do the TVT. Not so interested in the ski mountain

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
I like this response. Thanks for taking the time. Am tempted. Would partic like to do the TVT. Not so interested in the ski mountain
It’s definitely worth trying out, especially TVT. I just wish I’d started a bit earlier. You certainly don’t have to be doing downhill just to enjoy MTB, it took me a long time to realise that so give it a go

Reactions: Ramshead
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using