1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by climberman, Sep 18, 2013.

1. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

That gas leak is a real worry. No naked flames! BOOM??

Wardy likes this.
  2. NewTurns

There is a small pot hole in the road half way down the hill in front of Berntis. Caught a foot and took a tumble. Please fix. Nothing to do with the Boag's Draught on board.

zac150, AJS and Wardy like this.
  3. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Friend took a massive fall outside of the Piano Bar, bridge side on the walking path about 6 years ago, did some major ankle damage. The pot hole was huge.

4. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Those answers just reinforce that EVT has just been sucking Thredbo dry for years, and putting relatively little back.

I don't want to be THAT GUY but it has to be said. Thredbo is making too many wrong decisions. If you're not going forward you're going nowhere. Thredbo is meandering. It now has a "glory days", which are history. Unless something changes, it's best days are behind it, not in front of it.

Before I even get to the lifts I have concerns about KT taking over all the businesses in the village. By doing so they may well provide a predictably safe customer experience. But that comes at a cost. They diminish the "village feel". And they introduce a more homogenised experience, which I think is a negative.

Yes, that owner at Merrits from a few years ago was an embarrassing disaster, but does that really mean you should develop a white bread business model in response?

And lifts. Stop the excuses. If you need to press NPWS, press them. It's time you got on with expanding the moutntain because two major access lifts in peak periods is one too few. You just need to get on to it.

If you think replacing the Merrits double chair is an exciting development please think again. Not that you shouldn't do it, but it hardly gets your customer base excited

#304 Annabuzzy, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Wardy and Kangaroo like this.
  5. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe they're just realising the future and thus concentrating on the MTB development!?

surfer1 and dawooduck like this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Either of these @Nikki_o's pothole?
    @gareth_oau ?

gareth_oau likes this.
  7. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

no we couldn't find Nikki's the next morning, so we can only assume they had come out overnight and repaired it

zac150 and LMB like this.
  8. Annabuzzy

If that's their attitude maybe I should just ski somewhere that loves skiing?

9. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Both Perisher and Thredbo had record numbers up to the end of the school holidays this year, and Australia is one of the few snow markets in the world which is growing. With the lack of competition there isn't much incentive for Thredbo to dress itself up or invest in new lifts or train.

10. Telemark Phat

The big opportunity for investment at the moment is in attracting mainland Chinese tourists. Independent operators who target the mainland Chinese are growing rapidly at the moment.

11. Annabuzzy

The increased visitation is the very reason they should be investing. It's a very short term view that thinks offering a bad skiing experience in peak periods is going to be in the long term interests of the business.

They need to have sufficient facilities that people visiting and paying considerable sums for the privilege, enjoy themselves.

12. Annabuzzy

I saw quite a deal of Chinese (not sure if Chinese Australians or simply Chinese) last week. Plus a growing presence of Indians (although the latter seemingly just sledding or sightseeing).

13. Arne

Arne One of Us

Thredbo's infrastructure is starting to look eerily similar to that of Gulmarg, India.

surfer1, cin and dawooduck like this.
  14. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Which, if true, is a crazy attitude, doomed to failure. These are the businesses that go bust and wonder why.

15. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Which is really exciting for Thredbo and a huge opportunity. But where are they going to sleep...?

16. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

LOL

17. Telemark Phat

Yet the Australian Market, despite the perceived lack of investment by the industry is one of the very few in the world which is growing. What the Australian Industry has been investing in (snowmaking), ticketing, marketing and social media innovation send to be driving growth without investment in lifts, accommodation, and making the place look nice.

18. Annabuzzy

The Australian population continues to grow, and we grow more affluent. Resort visitation should be growing.

Contrast Japan and Europe where there are negative to at best flat population growth rates. In those circumstances it goes without saying visitation will probably reduce.

The US is different and negative population trends don't exist there.

As I say though if they do attract more visitors (and my experience is there are more people on the mountain) they need to cater to that extra demand with extra facilities. If they don't, the new visitors will quickly be lost to the sport/resort.

fmdc9 likes this.
  19. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

They are attracting a mega truck load more visitors but in the other non winter months.
    The MTB season is bigger in number than the ski season in Whistler.
    And yeah some new lifts would be nice too.

LMB likes this.
  20. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Nope. Chinese will buy it cheap.

21. LMB

I remember as a kid visiting the museum and having classes in an old fashioned classroom, using slates and inkwells - they even made us wear period costumes.

Riding the Merritts chair is a lot like that.

dawooduck and climberman like this.
  22. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Heated gondolas and slave wenches are an obvious must.

NewTurns and crackson like this.
  23. LMB

Heated?!
    Are you nuts!!??
    Aren't we all there because we hate the heat? Unless it's a long enough Gondie ride to be getting down with your special friend! Then heating would be handy.

24. sbm

sbm One of Us

To add caveats to that famous statistic, firstly that's total summer visitation including walkers, sightseers etc that is bigger than winter visitation. Secondly most MTB visitors to Whistler do *not* buy a lift ticket to the bike park, and ride the valley and Blackcomb trails (the equivalent of the village XC trails and Thredbo Valley trail).

nick12 likes this.
  25. TomGroggon

TomGroggon One of Us

The population is growing but more affluent I am not so sure that is correct maybe on paper but not on disposable income IMO.

26. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

All that makes sense TP except that it is a basic fundamental of business to make sure you can cater for the growth first.

Irs all well and good spending money on marketing but if you burn the customer at the experience phase they won't come back or worse they will go elsewhere.

As I see it the marketing and systems are in place now, I think the snow making is good albeit I agree with others here that they could improve dream run and below the bike tracks on sponsors and Antony.

But the lifts would then be the next suggestion.

27. NewTurns

I really think snowmaking the length of Dream Run would be a major game changer for the mountain. The favourite run others have described over the years of Antons/Traverse/Waimea/Merritts-Playground or Valley View/Dream Run (or Pegasus) down to Gunbarrel and repeat etc is so much more interesting IMHO than lapping Supertrail (generally). Great variety. Can only do that every 3rd or 4th year at the moment. Sure would have to be cheaper than new lifts. Also makes getting out of Merritts easier to just drop into Dream Run vs another windblasting hypothermic trip up the Cruiser Chair.
    The replacement for Ramsheads up and over to near top of Karels or just past it to avoid that annoying herringbone would make GCB a better proposition. So much space over there too.
    But the busted soap dispenser in the pub is important too.
    One more lift and one more snow made run and the place is a long way improved.
    Off topic...in four more years we join the don't have to ski in school holidays club.... can't wait to pick our late July/August weeks and go when it's on!

Billy_Buttons, LMB, Annabuzzy and 3 others like this.
  28. sbm

sbm One of Us

I honestly don't see the need for new lifts - well, for new lift alignments anyway. What would be fantastic is if they upgraded Kosci to a 6 seater, and moved the old Kosci to Snowgums to make it an express quad.

Dream run snowmaking, top idea.

I honestly don't really notice the age of the Valley Terminal. Charm is nice, we don't have much old stuff in this country. If it was a slightly older building people would be raving about its heritage and preservation, despite shortcomings as an actual working building (cough cough, Buffalo Chalet, CP Chalet)

I would like a clearer policy on uphill skiing (and riding) so can do my bottom-to-top laps in peace. And hey, why not a Bottom-To-Top ski mountaineering race? It's all the rage in Europe and Aspen, and we're supposed to be going for that kind of vibe.

NewTurns likes this.
  29. NewTurns

Current Kosci Express lift to go to Slowgums is a good idea for sure. :thumbs:Would really help soup up capacity. Or would it be cheaper to convert Slowgums to one of those 8 seater fast jobs to really get folks up there (and for the less capable that would help them avoid Eagle's Way too.)?

30. climberman

Charm is great - imagine if VT had some!!
    I'd LOVE a few up tracks.

31. sbm

sbm One of Us

My unofficial one is Sundance -> fire trail around behind Bunnywalk racecourse -> Bunnywalk -> Village trail to behind the top of Basin T -> contour around the back of Karels (up the Merrits Creek headwaters past Signature Hill) . Apparently this year there's a bell to ring!?

NewTurns and Wardy like this.
  32. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Great idea. Are you there Thredbo???

33. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Another great idea. Thredbo?

NewTurns likes this.
  34. calebpaterson

calebpaterson First Runs

They gained approval for the new ramshead lift last year, why they didn't build they didnt tell us. I dont know details but for me the biggest deterrent would be the wind. Most the chairs are fine in high winds if it blowing down the lift line. As soon as it start to blow across that when they close and have problems. Most the time the wind blows straight over the top down the lift lines, hence why all the lifts (minus merrits) run straight up the hill. The new Ramshead goes in and they dont place a detachable mid station in the right spot then that will be closed for 50% of the season. and yes its meant to go up and above Karels

Annabuzzy likes this.
  35. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes?

36. telecrag

I can't see it going above Karels, above Basin yes. I think, like Perisher, they are negotiating (or trying to) the head lease terms, before they will commit money. Hasn't it only got 20 years left or something?

37. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I have it on good authority (one of the senior grooming staff who is also our lodge manager) that it's planned to go in "soon". I couldn't agree more with it - it's a nice run and makes for an easier exit from Merritts, though like High Noon you don't want people thinking that if they can ski ballroom they can ski blue runs!

LMB and Annabuzzy like this.
  38. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What about this bottleneck with big increase in traffic from Dream Run?

39. climberman

40. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think snowmaking on dream run would attract enough traffic to warrant bottleneck concerns and I don't see how it could be agame changer as it is such a small part of a big picture

Happy to be wrong

cin and NewTurns like this.
  41. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

EVT make all kinds of excuses not to spend money on the place

Annabuzzy and climberman like this.
  42. telecrag

Well given the outlook, youd think that was enough!

43. Annabuzzy

I think they would also need to widen the bridge at the bottom of Dream Run a touch, and widen the run out a touch. If they did all those things the traffic on High Noon (at least the upper part) would be alleviated a great deal. I don't know if it's feasible to also create a new alternate path to the Gunbarrel lift at the bottom of the mountain.

NewTurns likes this.
  44. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

They already created a new run to gunbarrel about 5 years ago. A new run does not creat more downhill traffic. Just spreads the same amount of traffic differently. Skier traffic does not increase unless you increase the lifting capacity.

NewTurns and LMB like this.
  45. telecrag

And parking!

Untele-whippet and LMB like this.
  46. sbm

sbm One of Us

I honestly reckon now that Thredbo just doesn't need any development, or at least expansion. The piste and lift layout has tapped the full potential of the geography IMO. The Ramshead lift doesn't stand up to a serious analysis and will never happen. Chairlifts above the treeline on the Ramshead Range are far too weather affected (see: the short-lived chairlift to Charlotte Pass) and only going to the Basin is pointless. Basin and Karels as staged t-bars allow perfect flexibility to operate to the weather conditions. Dream Run, eh sure put snowmaking on it, but it's never going to be a major artery like the Supertrail or High Noon.

I think what is NEEDED for the ski season, is a full mechanical overhaul/replacement of Gunbarrel and Kosci. And a multi level overnight carpark.

For summer, please double the number of downhill MTB trails, make the uphill walking routes clearer (so clueless tourists aren't tromping all over Meadows and the Bluff, when they are driven to walking due to the exorbitant price of a single ride ticket).

47. sbm

sbm One of Us

Speaking of uphill, it has dawned on me, that of course they will never promote or put any effort in to uphill trails for skiing, walking or mtb. They will make it seem like it's not possible, and then extract as many overpriced single-ride tickets out of us as they can.

I note the price of a single ride has inched up from $34 to $37. They are inching towards the exact price point where people exclaim "Seriously!? For one ride? That's a rip-off!", then stare up to Top Station alllllllll the way up the top of the hill, and go "Eh....well I'm not walking, here you go".

NewTurns likes this.
  48. climberman

It's a one-off exciting tourism thing for most people. Go to the Easter show, see what people spend on a shobag amd a few rides. Thredbo looks cheap!

49. Annabuzzy

Yes I'm aware of that. I ski Thredbo quite a bit.

But I do think enhancing Dream Run is likely to increase traffic at the bottom of High Noon, not just spread the same skier traffic across two different upper runs, meaning some planning to accomodate that extra usage is wise.

50. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

How about a bit of shaving between the top of Gunbarrel and HN, shits me to have to skate that bit until some years late in the season they actually groom a bit of a slope. And a decent traverse track back from Merritt's to HN. Kill the Antons super jumps for more enhanced hits off natural features in a flow line top to bottom.

LMB and Majikthise like this.