1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo Development - bang a gong and get it ON!

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by climberman, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Number of skiers coming down has to equal number going up. Traffic governed mostly by capacity of gunbarrel lift.

NewTurns likes this.
  2. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

With lots of late season snow the high traverse from Merritt's top across under Michael's and above GB was a no skate way to get back to Hoon Nine...

3. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It's very badly aligned at the top of gunbarrel I'd agree. No matter whether your coming or going from/to merritts, or if you're going left off the chair and along the cat track, you have to push or skate quite a bit. If we're going to High Noon we'll take off to the left of the signs where there's a nice easy entry to that big bowl below the track ;)

4. sbm

sbm One of Us

Since I started practicing some XC skating techniques last year I've had zero problems - those skinny ski folks know how to deal with flat roads!

You can already drop below the road almost immediately and traverse at high speed through the Glades to High Noon...one memorable afternoon with some very strong skiers and boarders, after a few runs they had rutted out a mini skier-cross course through there, zig-zagging through some glades and rocks, and ending up hitting the side of High Noon fast enough to fly in the air for ten feet landing the piste.

Similarly on the other side, you can stay above the return road when coming back from the top of the Cruiser, a strong skier/rider can do it with enough speed and momentum to hockey stop above the Gunbarrel unload, and spray everyone lounging around complaining about the walk.

5. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yep and in a great year like this one you could bypass HN all the way thru Hipcheck if you wanted to but it doesn't allow access to the Ts, neither does dropping in past the info sign.

6. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Mostly but not entirely. People may ski down to the bottom more than hover around Merrits (in particular) than previously, and Antons/Sponars. That side of the mountain may be perceived to be better, and attract traffic from Crackenback.

7. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If the traffic exceeds the lifting capacity of the lift you get a queue at the lift. People can only get back up the hill as fast as the lift can get them back up there. You may get busier periods but these cannot be sustained. You'd get such a big queue that people will look for alternatives.

8. newman

newman Addicted

After being spoiled this year I think we are all forgetting how shit the bottom third of Thredbo usually is.
    A high speed chair up to the Basin area from about the level of the gear shed (ie a new ramshead) and maybe one new T up there (Basin as a duplex) along with Snowmaking down dream run solve so many issues so quickly.

Also agree re the traverse from top of cruiser to high noon. But if you make snow down dream run then the number of people using that traverse will diminish totally.

9. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

And another thing - extend Karels T so the bottom is actually BELOW the top of Basin T. Another horrible skate on a bad day and whoever didn't look at the contour lines when they designed it should be taken out and shot.

Majikthise and PiedPiper like this.
  10. surfer1

surfer1 Addicted

Yes and yes

11. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Addicted

A confirmed Thredbo development for 2018, "The Traverse" is to be realigned under Sponars T-Bar to reduce the steepness of the Meritts Creek crossing. For anything else start hoping for 2019.

12. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

That will be an interesting exercise.

13. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

They'll need to put a tow in for that! :confused:

14. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

yep, they should build up the ground & bridge at the creek instead

15. Billy_Buttons

The current drop-off is required to get the speed up to get around the hairpin bend of the Cat Track. It must be suffering from too many punters making their way over from Merritts me thinks, culminating in many collisions/complaints. :crap:

VSG and LMB like this.
  16. Annabuzzy

That’s a great idea actually. Presumably they’ll use at least part of that other road below the current traverse. For low intermediate skiers dealing with first the skiers on the Sponars tbar, then the downhill skiers at Sponars all in close proximity, plus the pressure of faster traversing skiers behind them, Plus (often) a relatively steep and narrow drop to the dogleg (more of that perceived pressure from faster skiers). A lot going on. A simple solution. Bravo.

Snowmaking on Dream run? Widening the bottom of dream run? The new lift up toward Karels? Thredbo? Hello? Anyone there?????

crackson and Undies like this.
  17. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

Meanwhile Perisher is putting in another lift and a whole bunch of snowmaking. Will be interesting to see if actually investing in infrastructure will pay off in the long term.

I know most Aus resorts have spent nothing for years, but Thredbo really seems to be dragging it's heels on winter sports and just investing in the summer side of things. Could be shrewd financially, but feels a bit stiff for us snow lovers.

18. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Replacing a lift.

Undies likes this.
  19. Undies

True dat, but it's more than what we see at Thredbo. I'm not trying to say that Perisher is good, as it has a wealth of it's own problems. It just feels like we've been cheated a bit of investment and Thredbo and I'm hoping at some point that will change.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  20. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

They could replace Easy Rider with a detachable quad, to keep up with the Jones!

Townsend likes this.
  21. climberman

Oh agreed.
    I have a thorough set of lifts at Thredbo I think need replacing and realigning!!

22. climberman

Probably the likely next thing :(

23. Undies

I'd love to see some snowmaking in the bottom of golf course and Funnellweb.

24. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

when was the last new lift at Thredbo?
    Merritts quad early 90's? 93 ish?
    *which was replacing a lift

25. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo is better.

26. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I want a coffee vending machine at Antons.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  27. Billy_Buttons

Chocolate bars and Twisties please.

Kletterer likes this.
  28. climberman

I know.
    God.

29. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I want helicopters to the backcountry
    From Sydney airport!!!

Ted Harper and Undies like this.
  30. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

IMO, for the current boundaries, Thredbo's skiing potential is tapped out. I'm calling it - there will NEVER be a new chairlift alignment or any major new runs cut (Golf Course blue runs etc). It just can't add enough to be worth it. I go through all this stuff in my head - replacement Ramshead quad, detachable Meadows mid station, super-t-bar replacing Basin & Karels...I can't see it making money, or even really adding to the ski experience in reality. Realigning some of the roads is nice, but it's rearranging deck chairs.

I think the Friday Flat rebuild and Valley Terminal snowplay areas were smart investments, and probably added more value than almost every scheme discussed in this thread!

What will make money, and seriously improve the resort experience, is double the number of MTB trails. If they had free reign with trail building I think they could stand out amongst every bike park in the country - because waiting for twenty minutes in a parking lot, to get slowly hauled back to the top of the run in a sweaty minibus, for half the amount of vertical, is going to look pretty darn povo compared to the Kosciuszko Express. In fact, I wonder how much of the lease renewal negotiation is actually getting sticky with Parks about the number of trails they want to build to compete with Maydena and Blue Derby...

Snow Blowey, benchives and climberman like this.
  31. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo is wetter.

32. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

The mountain taking over Merritts and Kareela Hutte has been positive from all the reports I've seen. Both were badly run. Yes, Kareela is expensive, but try getting a table there through late-July and August. It's a success.

For this coming season the mountain seems to have bought Eagle's Nest as well.

Fixing the corner of the traverse above Bunny Walk is a safety initiative. That slope is the steepest part of the traverse, and it can get nasty for anyone who's challenged by parts of the traverse. I've seen people go perilously close to ending up in the creek at that corner - hanging onto the fencing mesh after taking out a few uprights. They doubled up / beefed up the fencing there last season after a number of verbal reports of the danger - one from me.

33. Annabuzzy

In years gone past restaurants had good owners and then bad owners. It’s how it went. Now?

On Crackenback I’ve preferred to go there for a nicer on mountain lunch the past couple of seasons. Maybe I’ve been unlucky but on my visits Kareela has been a boozy rugby lunch. The food seems to be all but irrelevant to the experience. I don’t criticise those that enjoy it, but I don’t. Crackenback will be gone to the red fleece brigade too. Boo! On the upside maybe they will promote it for evening dinners again. On the downside - homogenised anyone?

Talk is Thredbo is acquiring all the leases to prepare for a more attractive sale. Is there a buyer other than Aspen?

34. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Nope, not unlucky. That's what it's like most afternoons. I can certainly understand anyone not enjoying that kind of environment.

Your second point is something I've wondered myself.

35. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Karelia hut is the haunt of the Canberra Mafia so unless you know people it wouldn’t be fun.

I understand the concerns on KT buying everything up but hopefully they have enough sense to pitch different restaurants at different crowds to cater for all.

As I’ve said before the one positive now is everything is open in the off season. I’ll still do 10 days biking, hiking and climbing up there and it’s nice to know things are open.

36. climberman

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20171020/pdf/43ndjtb2bfc808.pdf

No obvious commitments in the new CEO of EVENT’s meeting presentation thing to upgraded winter infrastructure, beyond incremental profit opportunities in winter..... with a ‘disciplined approach to capital investment’ across the portfolio.

Figures for profit (up $3.1m) are based on the 2016 winter.

Plans for additional MTB trails are noted.

37. Alexo

Alexo Hard Yards

Here's what I'd like to see. Ditch any plans for a Ramshead replacement and improvements to Golf Course - its overrated. Trade some of Golf Course for Stanleys with National Larks and Nightlife Service. Then, put in a quad to replace Antons and Sponars (going a bit lower than their present bases), and move those two T-bars into Stanleys to provide uphill transport and a lift out. Dreaming? Of course!

If Ramshead must be replaced, make it a two stage lift on a similar alignment to now, with the first stage finishing at it's current top, and the second stage going to the top of Karels for use in good weather.

38. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

There needs to be something in between Friday Flats and Merrits for the beginners to progress to

39. Billy_Buttons

Merritts was the beginner area pre 90s. They started them on the old ski school Tbar (existing one to the right of Cruiser now) and then by day 3 the instructors would have them skiing all over Merritts and by the end of the week, they would have them skiing under ALL lifts across the resort to Karels.

cin and Ted Harper like this.
  40. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

No fix for parking?

Staff can park at the tip or skitube till its fixed.

41. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Whether they liked it or not!

cin, dawooduck and Billy_Buttons like this.
  42. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

We are obviously softies these days, common understanding is that the jump from FF to Merritts is a big one for beginners

43. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Never going to happen. The money is in beginners to intermediate skiers.

The rumour I've been told from Thredbo Staff is the next development being planned is to redo Friday Flat. Put a roof on the car park with more parking ontop and redoing the slope on Friday Flat so it goes over the road and onto the roof of the current carpark with a new lift to replace EDI.

cin and crackson like this.
  44. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Awesome ideas. Would solve many problems.

45. Billy_Buttons

LOL...and, back then both Antons and Sponars were self-loading Tbars...funny stuff ROFL

dawooduck likes this.
  46. Billy_Buttons

....that's what Perisher is for! ROFL:out:

LMB, zac150 and gareth_oau like this.
  47. sbm_

My understanding with Stanley's is the lease boundary actually goes to the creek, so they could develop it if they wanted...but that drainage is the textbook definition of a terrain trap. It would be freaking carnage if they opened it, every macho intermediate that "totally nailed their first black run" down the Bowl, would immediately be throwing themselves off the edge of their first DOUBLE black run and ending in the creek. Nightmare for ski patrol. Leave it as backcountry so those that want to ski it have to account for themselves.

cin and zac150 like this.
  48. sbm_

Also, Maydena bike park in Tassie is about to open with TWENTY downhill trails (and 800m of vert).

There's your competition. Get cracking at looking at planning for permission for the first stage of possibly a FOURTH trail.

telecrag and crackson like this.
  49. climberman

And their top cafe is (I’m pretty sure) designed to accomodate a chairlift. God I wish it had a chairlift. Chairs for bikes fkn rule.

jonathanc and crackson like this.
  50. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

This Is a crazy idea, completely at odds with the vibe, but it might just work

FF needs to double in size, at themonentubpeak season it isn’t the friendliest place to learn to ski

Annabuzzy and sbm_ like this.