1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

THREDBO FAIL! your customers are not happy

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by SCHUSS SKI TEAM, Aug 26, 2011.

1. SJL

SJL Hard Yards

Donza is on the money here.

The feedback we heard in Thredbo last Friday was that unusual atmospheric conditions had brought the moisture in the saturated snowpack to the surface during the night.

The wind combined with the cooling temps to set the moisture into a rock hard glazed ice.

I skied from when the mountain opened around 11ish, and I can tell you the sun glare reflecting off the glaze was bizarre...it was like a mirror in parts.

On a couple of occasions I skied to the edge of the regroomed runs and drove the tip of my pole into the ice....I could barely chip it.

As already stated, the off piste was unskiable and in my opinion was extremely dangerous for all riders regardless of ability.

I applaud Thredbo for their decision to open late in this instance.

Undoubtedly they made the right decision on behalf of their guests and their staff.

#51 SJL, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Clearly we had no problem with a lift closure for safety reasons.

But there were a few things we were less happy about.
    1. Ticket Staff stuffing up the lift tickets we bought two days in a row. Seems buying multi day passes for a group is far too confusing an exercise.
    2. Shocking food service. Some places were GREAT. But the attitude, slow service, and poor quality we found this trip at Merritts(food quality), Friday Flat Bistro (zero service), and Bernti's (utter rudeness) was shocking. Oh, and Gregg from Mountain High Real Estate seemed to see us - the paying customer - as an inconvenience.

But rounds of applause for the cafe next door to the bottleshop (altitude something or other?), the T-Bar staff, and the lovely Ed from from The Denman. All whom made us feel welcome, and one of the gang, whilst delivering great service at the same time.

3. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

I've done The Face at Val D' on practically ice, there wasn't much turning involved. I wouldn't do it again, it's not really that enjoyable knowing that if you fall, you're going a long way and could end up on a gurney.

4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Or could put someone else on one.
    Similar experience at Zermatt.
    No one was turning. My edge slipped out, and I slid about 400m on my butt. I knew if I dug the edge in too hard I was flying over the handlebars head first, but I was so worried I would hit someone (even though there was no one directly below me when I fell) that I kept trying to dig the heel in and at least slow myself down.
    The edge finely shaved ice and threw it back up over me in a constant shower - so I was blind to what was happening below - and when I finally got the edge in enough to stop I was covered in shaved ice and looked like a snowman.

No harm done that time. But it quite easily could have been a different story - you DO NOT want that kind of thing happening on a crowded Thredbo piste.

#54 LMB, Aug 30, 2011
  5. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

I wasn't as worried about The Face as could have been. Thankfully it has a long run out and secondly, I waited until there was no one below me before I took off. It was just a bit too scary.

6. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

I agree with you about the lack of service Mamabear. This was my first visit to Thredbo and overall I wasn't impressed. One situation that particularly bugged me was paying $10 for wedges only to be told after waiting 5 minutes for them that the advertised sour cream and sweet chilli wasn't available!

7. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Oh yeah, and really annoyed that there's no autobahn directly into the resort and no valet parking anywhere at any of those little huts inside the village. I know, I know...I just should have had the private jet fly me directly to Cooma airstrip and get my stretch Merc drive me to the flipping front door of the hut.

I couldn't believe how big the hills are around the place and how many steps I had to climb, not to mention, no private chairs for VIP's up the mountain.

Unbelievable and just shocking, really.

8. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

Similar experience at St Anton, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. A warm (and they are always warm) föhn wind, followed by a -17C freeze overnight. Ice that was like glass. People skidding, sliding everywhere. Gave it up around lunchtime.

#58 Ulmerhutte, Aug 30, 2011
  9. Rush

Rush Pool Room

I'd be worried if you aren't better than 80% of skiers at Lech. Judging by my experience the vast majority of them are grey-haired retirees in rear-entry boots, old skinny skies and zimmer frames who stop skiing at 11 am.

#59 Rush, Aug 30, 2011
  10. damian

damian A Local

Worst I saw was at Hintertux in AT in October. Very thin with a huge patch of deep cold dark glacier ice mid run. That patch claimed everyone who tried to turn on it, or tried to stop as they hit it. Some snowboarders I saw were brutalised.

11. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

Thredbo Resort are often criticised for being money sucking leeches. Which they may well be.

They do not take a decision to not open lightly. I'm sure lots of important dudes all stood around arguing the pro's and con's of staying on hold and re-grooming.

As an accountant I can safely say the accountant's lost this battle, for good reasons.

12. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Stayed in a nice joint in sunny QLD recently and read the guest book. Complaints listed from guests read like:...

- The sun rises too early
    - The water is too cold
    - Those (wild) Lorikeet birds are noisy and too annoying, can't you get rid of them
    - The sun sets too early
    - It's very hot here
    - Want my money refunded

13. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I was at Mt Ruapehu (NZ) in October 1994 when we all sat in the cafe one morning waiting for the mountain to open.

The Ski Patrol came by and told us the mountain had frozen was so hard it was "bullet proof".

We took their advice.

14. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Am I supposed to laugh?

#64 Stratus, Sep 1, 2011
  15. TJ

TJ One of Us

I was up there on the day in question. I was meeting crew and had a nice brekky in the village. No rush or excitement for me to get up there but I can understand if I had bought a day pass. Still conditions were totally dodgy on some of the runs even around 11am. Someone with little experience could easily slide a long way out of control. It was as bad as I have seen it. The call was correct in my opinion. At some stage there has to be a duty of care.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Zaccly.

17. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Even Chuck Norris can't edge on that.

#67 CarveMan, Sep 3, 2011
  18. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Three died on an icy Federation, Mt Buller in the mid 70s during the one week. One mid week then two on the Saturday, then they closed it, the run only.

19. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Worst I've seen was olimpique at Val d'isere one icy late afternoon ... 30+ degree slope ... Nasty nasty nadty

#69 trappers, Sep 3, 2011
  20. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

You really do not have clue, PG.

Tell you what... run Schwarze Wand, take some photos just under the avi barriers, and then you might have some credibility.

#70 Ulmerhutte, Sep 3, 2011
  21. Triangle42

Triangle42 Hard Yards

ok you can sign that, but ski patrol need to patrol it, lifties need to be up there.
    That day was complete sheet ice! They had to re-groom the entire mountain, the conditions were not hard pacled it was actually unsafe for anyone to sky, friend in patrol were having trouble doing it!
    And thredbo would not open lifts just for the 20 people who say that they can survive this kind of conditions, also I am fairly sure that they were giving out customer service days if you had a valid pass.