Advice needed Thredbo, Falls or Perisher for early October?

ajb

First Runs
Aug 28, 2018
Pretty much all in the title, we're looking to head to the snow in the first week of October for a couple of days (I'm aware this is the last week of the ski resorts being open), and I'm wondering where you guys will think the best snow will be at the end of the season. I'm pretty much an intermediate skier, and prefer wide steep blue runs. Last year we went to Falls for a day in October and it was fine (albeit a little slushy) , so interested what the consensus is on the snow levels this year compared to last year?

Thanks, appreciate any advice given

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I’m a Falls fan - and snow levels are higher than last year due to higher snow fall and less r**n.

It all depends on how much r**n falls between now and then....

However the NSW resorts generally have better snow later in the season due to higher altitude.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
falls will almost certainly have cover on the south facing slopes. the question is what time it turns to slop each day. really depends on overnight temps giving a decent freeze, and rain staying away. if there's a decent freeze, ski groomers first then go off-piste or sidecountry as it softens

Reactions: Ziggy and Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
falls will almost certainly have cover on the south facing slopes. the question is what time it turns to slop each day. really depends on overnight temps giving a decent freeze, and rain staying away. if there's a decent freeze, ski groomers first then go off-piste or sidecountry as it softens
+1

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I've skied them all this season plus a few others and you won't go wrong whichever one you choose. There'll be plenty of snow left on the ground. Which is your preference?

Reactions: skiflat

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Which resorts will even be open in October? The season in NSW officially finishes monday 1st of october. Perisher have announced an extension to sunday 7th. I haven't heard if thredbo is extending? Falls I understand closes sunday 7th.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Pretty much all in the title, we're looking to head to the snow in the first week of October for a couple of days (I'm aware this is the last week of the ski resorts being open), and I'm wondering where you guys will think the best snow will be at the end of the season. I'm pretty much an intermediate skier, and prefer wide steep blue runs. Last year we went to Falls for a day in October and it was fine (albeit a little slushy) , so interested what the consensus is on the snow levels this year compared to last year?

Thanks, appreciate any advice given

Book beds in Jindy, ski P if it’s ok or drive to CP and head BC if the road is open. Or go to Guthega or DHG and go BC.

If the snow is really stuffed & it is unlikely to be (but possible) you are able to hire a sail boat & fool about on the lake, learn to fly fish from one if the local Jindy fish guides, drive about the area, say down the Barry Way following the Snowy, or go MTB riding, lotsa tracks & routes, can hire good enough bikes in Jindy. Really bad weather, hit the road tp CBR & spend morning in the National Portrait Gallery, then duck next door & have lunch & the arvo in the National Gallery, leave CBR early to drove back to Jindy in daylight, take pucs on way to post in the Monaro Pictures & Pies thread.

2nd day of bad weather, problem, use The Monaro Pictures & Pies thread as your guide & improve your pictures following @telecrag hints and follow the pie trail.

ajb

First Runs
Aug 28, 2018
Book beds in Jindy, ski P if it’s ok or drive to CP and head BC if the road is open. Or go to Guthega or DHG and go BC.

If the snow is really stuffed & it is unlikely to be (but possible) you are able to hire a sail boat & fool about on the lake, learn to fly fish from one if the local Jindy fish guides, drive about the area, say down the Barry Way following the Snowy, or go MTB riding, lotsa tracks & routes, can hire good enough bikes in Jindy. Really bad weather, hit the road tp CBR & spend morning in the National Portrait Gallery, then duck next door & have lunch & the arvo in the National Gallery, leave CBR early to drove back to Jindy in daylight, take pucs on way to post in the Monaro Pictures & Pies thread.

2nd day of bad weather, problem, use The Monaro Pictures & Pies thread as your guide & improve your pictures following @telecrag hints and follow the pie trail.

Thanks for everyone's input, it looks like the go is Falls though as it's a bit more convenient to get to from where we'll be than Perisher. Booking a couple nights at the QT, should be great. Speaking of resorts though, I'm in high school and my gap year's coming up pretty soon... if I have to stay within the country, what resort in Aus would you say is the most fun to work at for a season?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
... Speaking of resorts though, I'm in high school and my gap year's coming up pretty soon... if I have to stay within the country, what resort in Aus would you say is the most fun to work at for a season?
Well the five big resorts have the most things happening, although some, especially Thredbo and Perisher, tend to accommodate less skilled staff (like lifties and dish pigs) off mountain and have them commute up the hill each day, which negates one of the reasons people want to work at a ski resort. But if you want constant and varied nightlife (as many 18 - 19 year olds do), then the big five are the way to go.

However if you actually want to get to know people and have at least a basic acquaintance with everyone who works on the mountain, consider a smaller resort with on snow accommodation (Baw Baw, Charlotte Pass or Ben Lomond). Those places have less lifts, less black runs and less crowds, but I've heard it said that people feel more comfortable and at home there as the experience is more communal and less isolating.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass