1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Thredbo joins Ikon Pass

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by shabu_shabu, Jun 26, 2018.

1. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us

2. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Has this replaced Mountain Collective? Sorry, I'm a bit off the ball here. Especially considering I tripped USA on MCP 4 years ago!

3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes i was also wondering if the MCP still exists!

Its great for the Aussie who do a week here a week there.

But the Perisher/Vail pass is still better for me most years.

However... if Valle Nevado gets added - there is a very high chance i will get the Ikon pass for next year...

LMB and incogski like this.
  4. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

No, MC still exists for now.

5. absentskier

I've got an IKON pass but I won't be using it at Thredders.

oldgeezer likes this.
  6. AWJ

AWJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Doesn't cover the Thredbo summer season, so as someone who goes down all months of the year to Thredbo, I'm not sure ill ever bother with it.

$1k US (1350 AUD) for something id only ever use in North America - think I'd rather get a resort specific pass for a week for wherever it is I want to go.

Will be good for the 1 week a year in oz and 2 week overseas each year families though I guess

7. absentskier

Brilliant for them.

Ozgirl likes this.
  8. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

MCP still exists for 2018-19, with Big Sky replacing Telluride. Slightly lower price right now in June than a year ago. Same deal in terms of getting 2 days plus 50% off additional days. SLC changed to 2 days at Alta and 2 days at Snowbird instead of the combo pass. Means less money for additional days at Alta or Snowbird. Possible to ski back in the afternoon without paying extra if staying at an Alta lodge or Snowbird.

Ikon includes most but not all MCP locations. Taos, Snowbasin, Sun Valley still with MCP but not on Ikon. Get 5 or 7 days at "partner" MCP resorts on the Ikon, which is enough for a 1-week ski trip. Ikon Base for Alterra resorts (Squaw/Alpine, Mammoth, etc.) is a mix of unlimited, unlimited with holiday blackout days, and limited days for Deer Valley.

sastrugi likes this.
  9. skull

skull One of Us

seems good for those that only do a week at Thredbo and do OS trips.

Not so great for a Thredbo season skier and biker.

Thredbo announced their military discount day rate of FB the other week, I asked if they were looking at doing similar as vail and the cheap military season pass. Now that would be good for me. :)

10. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Next year i will have a babe under 1 so will only get a day or two. But planning on honeymooning in Chile, was planning Portillo but Ikon could sway me if it becomes part of that.

But may consider MCP too (but wont be for Nth Hemi season).

LMB likes this.
  11. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Any inside info on whether the Mountain Collective pass will be available for 19/20. Seems to me Alterra would be missing sales of the Ikon pass if they still offer Mountain Collective.

12. MarzNC

It's hard enough to guess what will happen for the prices for the 2018-19 MCP in the next six months. Not worth spending any time thinking about multi-resort passes for 2019-20 until Spring 2019.

Should keep in mind that the Crown family own and operate Aspen/Snowmass independently of Alterra. Aspen was the initiator of the MCP. Since the companies are all privately held, it's not that obvious how decisions are made within Alterra in terms of how much influence HCC (Henry Crown and Company) has vs. KSL. The Alterra CEO came from Mammoth and the COO came from Aspen Ski Co. (History of the two companies here if anyone interested.)

Pretty clear that Ikon and Epic are direct competitors. However, there are ways in which the MCP can help Alterra more than hurt it. As long as the entry price for the MCP is well below Ikon Base, that's one way to pull in people who aren't ready to commit to Ikon initially. As long as there are major resorts like Taos, Sun Valley, and Snowbasin only on the MCP, it serves a somewhat different market than Ikon. I would think the "partners" such as JH, Alta, Snowbird are perfectly happy to have both, as well as offering premium season passholders 50% discounts for other MCP resorts. Just my personal opinion based on being an annual traveler to Alta who has based ski trips with friends on the MCP for several years. :nerd:

13. MarzNC

Congrats!

Presumably sooner or later Alterra will find ways to expand the Ikon outside N. America. Would think that is easier if mainly interested in partnerships for Ikon, as opposed to spending big money to take over ownership and/or operations.

Ozgirl likes this.
  14. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Wow, I am behind on forum news! Congratulations, Ozgirl :).

The Ikon pass does sound quite attractive for those intending to ski North American resorts - I really enjoyed Lake Louise and Sunshine, and hope to try some of the US resorts (curious about Aspen) in the future. However, note the blackout dates for Thredbo in July ....

Ozgirl likes this.