1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo - late season skiing - what lifts might stay open?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by GlenH, Sep 16, 2010.

1. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

As a seasoned Perisher skier (haven't been to Thredbo for years, just the way it's worked out) I was contemplating a 3 day trip from 26/9 (with child) but sceptical given that several times before I have been caught by major Perisher lifts closing (for good) at short notice towards the end of season.

Just got notice that Blue Cow and Guthega close this weekend, so there goes that idea.

Am now contemplating trying Thredbo from 26/9 and just wondered, as best as anyone can predict, how do the lifts wind down at Thredbo towards that time of season?

How hard do they try to keep things going for the school holiday skiers? (Perisher seems to have given up on that). I don't want all the effort and cost if there isn't much to ski.

Thanks for the advice.

2. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Very hard to say...

3. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

According to "Richards Report", Basin T-bar will be operating for a week AFTER the October long w/e (conditions permitting)

4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Unless we get a significant rain event, I would expect ST, Merritts, Basin, Antons, maybe HN and Karels to all still be going on a limited cover. Have skied ST on closing day quite a few times, and I would say this year I might just do it again.

Cant believe I havent been able to get up for 3 weeks now, and not looking good until the LWE, which will be BC anyway. Work sux! Grrr! (you know its a big day at work, when you have to resort to sucking a Gu to get through. I feel like I have done several 24hr MTB races back to back).

5. D_Dog

D_Dog Hard Yards

what is so good about thredbo is that even if they just had kosi express going, there are enough runs with enough variety in terrain off just one lift to keep you entertained for most of the day. merrits, antons, basin and karels usually run till the end (snow weather permitting etc etc)

6. scottik187

scottik187 Hard Yards

Still looks really good up there on the cams -

Pending really really hot weather or rain probably Merrits/Cruiser/Gunbarrel, basin and antons will be open. Still a lot of snow up there, a lot more than in early July when they had the same lifts running.

There is no1 around though, would be great to be down there now, even if its is "heavy going" in the afternoons, the traffic isn't so bad.

7. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

The hot wind will cause the most damage and this weekend's weather and the forecast sunny days to follow will reduce the cover. But the cover is so good I can't see them closing to many runs. There is still a lot of off piste in the resort.

Thredbo have large piles of snow on the lower slopes ready to cover damaged areas.

8. kiter

kiter One of Us

i was there wed to fri this week ,It was excellent and there is heaps of snow .elephant snot for the last part of the hill but i was skiing untracked runs in the off piste and even untracked corduroy on the sides of some groomed runs in heavy traffic areas .there was no one there .The wether maps look like it will saty cold for another week so I don;t expect much damage above mid mountain .Merrits antons sponars basin and karels will be epic imo

9. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Basin, Antons and Sponars and Merrits. That would be it. High Noon if you are very very lucky.

Lower half of supetrail would be a skinny goat track. Not worth skiing.

[​IMG]

#9 VSG, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  10. VSG

#10 VSG, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  11. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

With a bit of luck they'll open the mid station on Kosci so you can do the top half of Supertrail and World Cup avoiding the crap at the bottom. Most years though they don't open the mid station but last year they did.

12. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Just got back from riding Thredbo Friday & Saturday 17th & 18th and there is still plenty of snow from mid mountain up. Now with QLD School Hols about to start I can't see them closing too many lifts as there's still a heap of snow to work with. By the end of the day on Saturday there were a few bare patches starting to show through in the high traffic areas like on Merrits but nothing the groomers can't fix up. It's still getting below freezing up top each night so it's your typical freeze-thaw, hard packed then softening, style snow.
    You have to wait until mid to late morning before heading up to the top as it's still quite hard & icy first thing.....

The Merrits Terrain Park was so much fun the last couple of days and there were plenty of crew out sessioning it. Also the Toyota One Hit Wonder was quite impressive, some BIG tricks being thrown down over the 90ft jump just above the Merrits top station.

All in all, still well worth the $138 for a 2 day pass and IMO there should be at least Basin & Karels open for the long weekend but possibly still a few more [​IMG]

#12 FourSquare04, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  13. telecrag

Just got back from skiing today, I couldnt take it anymore, stuff work. Really great spring skiing. Froze up pretty good last night, so was pretty firm first up, and the groomers held up well until 11am, when I headed off for some sidecountry action. Did Cannonball and The Bluff just before heading out, and the off-piste was just starting to come good.

Went sidey for about 3 hours, then came back in, and the off-piste was great, groomers heavy.This is IMO the best spring skiing since 2004, and I am pretty bummed that I couldnt get a bigger chunk of it.

14. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Totally agree with tc, skiied yesterday + today.
    Excellent corduroy early top-to-bottom with NO crowds, High Noon, True Blue, World Cup, ST fantastic.
    Saturday, Exhibition of Sponars was unreal, groomed, no rocks, no people, awesome----if only riding Sponars by myself wasn't so painful.
    Boundary Rider was hero snow stuff (through the exit track in the trees was SLOOOOOOW)
    The Bluff and Cannonball were great mid arvo.
    A 2 day pass is $138, its great, I NEVER had to queue for a lift, empty tables at Merrits Eatery, no-one at Black Sallee's!!
    Get there and do it, cos they're making a great end of season effort and probably running at a loss cos almost nobody's skiing/boarding.

15. telecrag

Its amazing I didnt see you yesterday tw, like you say, it is deserted. Did see a couple of teles, one I ski with regularly, one on Linkins, they just look wrong, one with a helmet cam too.

When I went sidey, I headed out to find some igloo building mates, but missed them by about 15 mins. I took a different route to get some runs in, then found them lapping basin T (they never check). Heres a phone pic of the entrance to the igloo, which has been buried and become more a cave.

[​IMG][/img]

#15 telecrag, Sep 20, 2010
  16. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

these images and tales of great snow are killing me as I'm not being able to get back down after our rain-soaked early September week. Both my trips this year and my one weekend last year were cursed by torrential downpours and bugger-all skiing.

as such, when you look up 'rain event' on the net it now shows a picture of me. Ive heard of rainman but this is ridiculous

17. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Totally agree!
    Saturday and Sunday - excellent spring skiing.
    Early morning the ST was riding really fast - I was chasing my son down, and while I was going at a speed where I started to think if I fall I am going to be in a world of pain ... he was putting a distinct gap in us. Thredbo groomers deserve having a round bought for them - they do an amazing job.

#17 LMB, Sep 21, 2010
  18. GlenH

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Wish I could have been there last weekend. I am still contemplating this Sun/Mon/Tues but noted the warming weather forecasts so not so fancying skiing in quick drying cement :)

Forecast for Sunday
    Morning cloud. Winds west to northwesterly averaging up to 45 km/h.
    Thredbo Top Station Min 1 Max 7

Forecast for Monday
    Mostly sunny. Winds west to northwesterly averaging up to 35 km/h.
    Thredbo Top Station Min -2 Max 8

19. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

this just posted on FB today:

Thredbo Snow Resort is extending the season .... OK here is the scoop. From today through to 26th Sept the lift status remains as it is today, 11 lifts....27th Sept to 3 Oct - Kos Express, Merritts, Cruiser, Gunbarrel, Easy Does IT, Basin, Karels, Sponars OR Antons. Mon 4 Oct Kos Exp, Merritts, Cruiser, Basin, Karels Sponars OR Antons. 5 - 10 Oct Kos Exp + Basin.

20. wangster

wangster A Local

21. Miffy

Miffy Addicted

Awesome work Thredbo! I can only get time off work after the long weekend, looks like ill be making one last trip down for season 2010!

22. rodw

rodw Hard Yards

Makes perishers effort to start closing everything down even more short sighted IMHO.

23. GlenH

As friend of mine says it must be run by Accountants. They (Perisher) certainly do not encourage you to plan anything around the September school holidays.

24. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just got in from Sun/Mon/Tue and it is getting a bit soft, OK very soft, but there is lots of snow and freeze should improve things massively (didn't freeze Tues night). But so much sunshine - impressive spring.

I say you should go for it especially with a 2 day pass $138 and 3 day $204 and no crowds!

25. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

your time will come, just be patient, and when it does it will make up for all those rain disasters. Have faith my friend. [​IMG]

#25 cin, Sep 22, 2010
  26. kiter

kiter One of Us

Thredbo have announced what to expect for the rest of the season re lift openings and an extension of the season (which surprised me ) .All cred to Thredbo on this .It was very quiet there last week and they have shown their hand that they are serious about being a professional year round resort .

A coupla questions .How much will lift tickets be when it is just the basin and kosi / Also what's the chance of Karels staying open which would be good

27. GlenH

There are some good deals too, if you stay at some places for 2 nights you get a free 2 day lift ticket.

Contrast Perisher's deal for Perisher Card holders only (and a quarter of a ski field, yuck).

28. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo are sensational they way they manage their snow cover, I guess they have to be, cause half of the resort is below the snowline [​IMG] but they always seem to be doing whatever is possible, within their power to make conditions good for their guests.

#28 Nidecker, Sep 23, 2010
  29. Nidecker

More likely actuaries [​IMG]

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>edit: from wikipedia " the classical function of actuaries is to calculate premiums and reserves for insurance policies covering various risks. Premiums are the amount of money the insurer needs to collect from the policyholder in order to cover the expected losses, expenses, and a provision for profit. Reserves are provisions for future liabilities and indicate how much money should be set aside now to reasonably provide for future payouts. If you inspect the balance sheet of an ins</span>urance company, you will find that the liability side consists mainly of reserves."

#29 Nidecker, Sep 23, 2010
  30. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

Their efforts really do sh*t all over perishers. Perisher are proudly saying they will be open on monday the 4th this year unlike last year when they closed on the monday of the LWE. But thredbo kick on for an extra 5days after that. Score!

31. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Can't answer the first question, but Karels lift line is pretty hard to keep covered and they would be unlikely to invest resources doing that, which is understandable

#31 Ramshead, Sep 23, 2010
  32. Nidecker

Yep last year my daughter and I skied closing day at each of Charlotte pass, Perisher and Thredbo cause of this.

#32 Nidecker, Sep 23, 2010
  33. scottik187

scottik187 Hard Yards

Thredbo have done a great job this season.

From the early season snowmaking only cover, to the way they handled the MASSIVE weekend of the 28th of August, and now the extension of the season by a week.

Yet another reason why Thredbo is far greater than Perisher.

34. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

Thredbo appear to have done well this year. From memory the past few years there had been a few issues with lift maintenance etc that got a few people offside.

I took the missus down in may for a weekend and she loved the village. We have a friend working down there and we have also made some contacts so next year when I plan to get her back on the planks I think we will look to ski thredbo over perisher. Which says a lot cause I have skied perisher my whole life and never really shown any interest in thredbo.

35. SociallyDisabled

SociallyDisabled Hard Yards

I was the same, but i loved thredbo this year!

#35 SociallyDisabled, Sep 24, 2010
  36. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Hee hee...

Welcome back over from the "dark side" [​IMG]

#36 LMB, Sep 24, 2010
  37. VSG

#37 VSG, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  38. melty68

melty68 One of Us

from past experiences its a bit dangerous skiing at this time of the year...nasty rocks start to appear,humungous moguls,snow like glue,sunburn,hangovers...other than that nothing like skiing in a t-shirt in one of my favourite places in the world,thredbo.

39. captainQ

captainQ Hard Yards

The same applies to me, 'Perisher' was my idea of snow and skiing, but after a fantastic week in late August- early September at Thredbo, my mind set has changed. Plus there was some great coffee and burgers at reasonable prices from Frostbite cafe, ski in stuffed, ski out recharged.

#39 captainQ, Sep 28, 2010
  40. GlenH

With thanks to everyone following this thread for their advice and encouragement I made a booking Friday morning to stay 2 nights at the Thredbo Alpine Hotel Sunday to Tuesday and had a great time. Got a $500 package for child and myself including 2 day lift ticket. Still spent a fortune on coach travel, ski hire, food and too many bobsled rides but hey, as the sign on the chairlift towers says:

"The couch will always be there, the season won't".

Thredbo has done a fantastic job of keeping the place going this late in the season (especially with so few people around) so if anyone else is contemplating a visit before Labor Day I say go for it.

There is heaps of snow, especially up high but even lower Supertrail is very skiable. Down low although a little narrow it is packed noticeably higher than the surrounding grass so you can see how much of a base they man made earlier in the season to see them through.

As a seasoned Perisher skier we had access to virtually the whole mountain at Thredbo which was quite a contrast to what those tightwads at Perisher were dishing up in the final weeks.

Perisher lost me for a late season trip, they have even put me at risk for where I'll choose for my annual week next winter. Silly silly, silly.