1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Thredbo Oct

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Shane298, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Shane298

Shane298 First Runs

Hello,

I am looking at taking a family on a snow trip to Thredbo, however the only week available I have is 2-6 Oct 17.

My question is, what will the conditions be like, what will still be open, etc, and how much snow will still be there? Is season close is the weekend before?

I might look at ski lessons, but my I'm really there for my two kids, 4 and 2, and I want them to play in the snow. I just want to make sure it will still be there before I commit and book.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thank you

2. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Be careful prebooking anything that late in the season
    Even mid September can see much of the mountain shutting down as the melt sets in
    It's highly possible nothing skiable is open at all
    At best a run or two with very slushy snow might be open but probably no lessons or any decent skiing available
    With kids 2 and 4 snow play is probably going to see them as happy as Larry but you will be going to the top of the mountain to find any snow to play in

ladycamper likes this.
  3. Kieran

Kieran A Local

Season close is technically the October long weekend, whenever that is. With kids that age and if you're only seeking snow play, then really you'll be fine. If you wanted them to learn to ski, you'll probably be out of luck. If any of the resort is still open, it'll likely only be the highest areas, like the Basin and Karels, which aren't great teaching areas for really little kids.

However, if all you want them to do is play in the snow, then there will almost certainly be tons of snow for that up high, off the top of the Kosciuszko Chairlift. You might have to walk a few hundred metres to get to where you want to be, but other than that...

To echo what Cin said, I wouldn't bother pre-booking. There will be tons of accommodation available at that time of the year and you can make up your mind much closer to the date.

ladycamper likes this.
  4. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah don't book till much later. There will still be snow around but how much is completely pot luck. With kids that age making sure they have a great time is more important than anything else.

5. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

In late September, over several years (a few years ago) I've had weekends that were either brilliant with the Supertrail top-to-bottom (of sorts, at the bottom) and higher T-bars all go, but then other seasons it's not been worth the trip, so we didn't.

However you are aiming later than that.

Thredbo usually limps on, almost regardless of the conditions until the long weekend, but for the final week it is typically only the Basin T bar for skiing and the Quad Express chair for access only.