Thredbo restaurant reports, reviews and pics. Rona edition.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Down the pants pizza, or armpit cheeseburgers this season! (K10's idea of a warm tasty treat on the hill)

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Was it Cosmic who started doing burgers out of his backpack?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
On the incredibly upside, that takes people off the hill for a set time! Mind you, they need to get there from FF somehow.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
This one will be sure to stir up some opinions here I’m sure- Black Sallee’s are now taking bookings with a deposit:

1EE544BC-D656-4A7D-9E78-3AE06A5F46C3.jpeg
CBE79F85-AF46-4D13-B136-2FBAE3665312.jpeg

Premium that's for sure

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
In Hanazono there is an ongoing issue with families making the Nanny hold a table for their group. They’re paid to sit at the table and shoo away people looking for a seat. They have bags and hoodies and things on seats and on tables to make it look like someone is up at the counter. They hold that table sometimes all day. It’s an impediment to business and not in the spirit of a ski community where pulling up a chair next to other people will often find you new lifelong friends.

THIS is monetising THAT behaviour.
Do. not. Like.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Needs to be posted on Jindy Noticeboard.
LOL
I can see the response now.

Be funny and sad if the place is full of people sitting at tables and not ordering anything.

Reactions: Alleve

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Used to be my favorite place to go for a dark wheat beer and a relatively cheap feed. If it was usable against food and drink I would happily drink my way through the deposit.
I can't even think it's the only way they could make the business model work after not opening last year. It's just weird.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Its making me laugh.
Its like mid station at Perisher charging a sitting fee.
*they probably will.

That place (Perisher Mid)can be bulldozed and replaced when the lift is upgraded there perhaps.. Build a decent cafe, a proper restaurant and a large indoor and outdoor picnic area for BYO food.

Reactions: Alleve and JG

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Used to be my favorite place to go for a dark wheat beer and a relatively cheap feed. If it was usable against food and drink I would happily drink my way through the deposit.
I can't even think it's the only way they could make the business model work after not opening last year. It's just weird.
If it came off the bill, and they charged a service fee (reasonable $) for extra Covid safe cleaning then ok. But that price to hire the table. No black sallees for me this season.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
That place can be bulldozed and replaced when the lift is upgraded there perhaps.. Build a decent cafe, a proper restaurant and a large indoor and outdoor picnic area for BYO food.
Hell no, it's charm was it was a dilapidated building with cheap food and a good selection of booze. Then after you've had a few beers you choose your own adventure down the face and eventually meet up with the cat track.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
I sure as heck hope the little sign on the table says “Reserved for Scottski and Friends”
For $180 I want deference and recognition.
I have standards,
Biggest issue, what should I wear ? I will have to drop into Snowsports for a new Jacket and pants. Can’t be seen in the same outfit I skied yesterday.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
They have bags and hoodies and things on seats and on tables to make it look like someone is up at the counter.
People try that at Perisher. I had one day I was looking for a seat and the young bloke who would have been 3 or 4 at the time. Got told by the person sitting there that those seats were taken. Anyway, I am a big ugly dude and can be pretty gruff. I ignored them and sat down saying I will move when they get back, we managed to eat our food and have a bit of rest and nobody came to the table. I despise seat hoarders like that

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
So since they want a booking system for black sallees now, hopefully most people will now boycott and I will be able to get in for my mid morning HC without a hassle.

Reactions: Alleve and nezumi

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Hell no, it's charm was it was a dilapidated building with cheap food and a good selection of booze. Then after you've had a few beers you choose your own adventure down the face and eventually meet up with the cat track.

Yes as Donald said. Mid station at Perisher with the sweaty windows and no ventilation

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
People try that at Perisher. I had one day I was looking for a seat and the young bloke who would have been 3 or 4 at the time. Got told by the person sitting there that those seats were taken. Anyway, I am a big ugly dude and can be pretty gruff. I ignored them and sat down saying I will move when they get back, we managed to eat our food and have a bit of rest and nobody came to the table. I despise seat hoarders like that
There was a lot of table hoarding at Merrits last year as Mum or Grandparents ventured up on the Gondi and watched the kids ski for 5 hours whilst not leaving the tables! Forced our family of 6 to stop for lunch at 10:30ish and we still struggled for a table.
We moved on to Black Sallees after a couple of days and that was easier, but now we're f*^ked all over again!!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
There was a lot of table hoarding at Merrits last year as Mum or Grandparents ventured up on the Gondi and watched the kids ski for 5 hours whilst not leaving the tables! Forced our family of 6 to stop for lunch at 10:30ish and we still struggled for a table.
My wife sits most of the day at Perisher pub...and she welcomes people !
Loves a chat.

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
We moved on to Black Sallees after a couple of days and that was easier, but now we're f*^ked all over again!!
Will just have to tailgate at the back of one's Rangie in the carpark. BYO Veuve and canapés, premium :p

JG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 26, 2000
Sydney
The mountains are changing and we will just have to live with the memories of what Thredbo was...and enjoy what it now is...To me Black Sallees will always be that afternoon of shots and beers, with a coach load of newbies, experiencing life in the mountains for the first time... i don’t recall how we ever got them down again. :)

But if the tables are not booked, then surely walk-ins will be able to sit there...

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
The mountains are changing and we will just have to live with the memories of what Thredbo was...and enjoy what it now is...To me Black Sallees will always be that afternoon of shots and beers, with a coach load of newbies, experiencing life in the mountains for the first time... i don’t recall how we ever got them down again. :)

But if the tables are not booked, then surely walk-ins will be able to sit there...
Nothing like an undertaker in the afternoon to warm you up.

Reactions: JG

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
upload_2021-6-3_12-45-20.png

wonder what changed?
Obviously crunched the numbers on Mick's post and though fug it, let's charge for bookings
orced our family of 6 to stop for lunch at 10:30ish and we still struggled for a table.
Bugger, I found Merritt's ok last year. Although we would be in with the fam around 1030 for a HC and quick snack before heading out again. Most of our lunching was done in the van

Reactions: Alleve and Scoober
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass