Thredbo restaurant reports, reviews and pics. Rona edition.

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
We have enjoyed dinners so far at Black Bear and the new T Bar. Very glad to say that almost all restaurants are now taking online bookings but you do have to enter your credit card details.

The new menu at BB is very good. We had pizza and salad at tbar both of which were excellent…in fact I think the pizza was better than in previous years. My only criticism was that some of the dishes are a little pricey.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
We had dinner at the Local Pub on Saturday.

I had chilli con carne nachos and we also had a share plate (that only I had any of) of poutine. They were both pretty big and I didn't finish either of them. Usual standard for the pub. We got lucky getting a table as we arrived they said we will be waiting till a table is available as they were at capacity, and as soon as the bouncer said that a group stood up to leave.

We also went to cascades mid morning for a HC and coffee stop on the Saturday as Merritts was at capacity. So we took the gondola back down instead of waiting in the line then trying to find space in Merritts (weather was rough sat so sitting outside wasn't going to be enjoyable)

Reactions: Sage O

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
They were getting buns from the Bakery (which are good too) but demand means they cant supply them over winter, so they have sourced some that they prove and bake themselves.

NOT BRIOCHE!!!
I was going to say the bakery B&E is a good one too..

We have enjoyed dinners so far at Black Bear and the new T Bar. Very glad to say that almost all restaurants are now taking online bookings but you do have to enter your credit card details.

The new menu at BB is very good. We had pizza and salad at tbar both of which were excellent…in fact I think the pizza was better than in previous years. My only criticism was that some of the dishes are a little pricey.

I was going to come here and say the same about bookings, I have reservations for an upcoming trip at Terrace (Denman), Zack’s (Bernti’s), The Mad Mex (Ullr) and Candlelight and all took credit card details with warnings of $30-$50pp charges for no shows/changes within 24hrs. I’m just happy that we won’t be having to wait anywhere or wander around the village trying to get a meal on a crazy busy Saturday night.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Kareela taking bookings online now through the Thredbo webpage here: Kareela Bookings

Interestingly they aren't taking credit card details so I think some people have been going nuts booking anything and everything. I have been checking regularly for the link to go up and must have missed when it did as the Fri, Sat and Sun we're there already has no lunch bookings available... Booked an 11am "breakfast" instead, and a lunch on the Monday...

J_busworth

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2017
Coogee, NSW
transportnswblog.com
I've made a lot of dinner bookings including the Merritts dinner and managed to even get a "breakfast" booking at Kareela. I think the fact that places are taking credit cards with bookings is fair enough and i'd much rather be able to book and have to give a deposit or pay for not showing up rather and standing in the cold and hoping to be let in. Personally, I think Kareela probably should have taken a card too.

I'm curious to see what kind of spread Kareela will have for an 11-1 "breakfast". In the past they have swapped to their lunch menu at 11am and frankly I think 11am should be lunch.

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
awesome, just made an 11am breakfast booking next sunday
Yay! You must update us @skull on what the food/drink situation is at that time.

I'm curious to see what kind of spread Kareela will have for an 11-1 "breakfast". In the past they have swapped to their lunch menu at 11am and frankly I think 11am should be lunch.

Same! I’m hoping it’s at least a “brunch” style approach where you can get lunchier items and a nice glass of something to drink too…

Reactions: skull

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Good to hear! Haven't been to the T Bar in a long time. Not really sure why... I think we got put off with the whole pizza thing. But happy to give it a go this year.

Are they taking bookings @LMB ? I need to make a couple of bookings early July, may as well think about it now I suppose.
Sorry Id missed this post.
Yes. You can book.

Reactions: sastrugi

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Kareela taking bookings online now through the Thredbo webpage here: Kareela Bookings

Interestingly they aren't taking credit card details so I think some people have been going nuts booking anything and everything. I have been checking regularly for the link to go up and must have missed when it did as the Fri, Sat and Sun we're there already has no lunch bookings available... Booked an 11am "breakfast" instead, and a lunch on the Monday...
So in my breakfast booking I asked if there was a later booking may we please swap- just got notification that my 11am booking has been switched for a 1:30-3:30pm booking
:cheers:
For those who have booked an 11am and would prefer lunch, it might be worth checking back to the system or reaching out in case there was a glitch and they actually have more lunches available..?

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
So in my breakfast booking I asked if there was a later booking may we please swap- just got notification that my 11am booking has been switched for a 1:30-3:30pm booking
:cheers:
For those who have booked an 11am and would prefer lunch, it might be worth checking back to the system or reaching out in case there was a glitch and they actually have more lunches available..?
probably loads of lunch space available now that half of Sydney can't travel to Thredbo.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Won’t phase me if Sydney locks-down. I’m not there.

However I would not go panicky and cancel stuff in the future just yet. Anyway gotta go, need to stuck up on toilet paper
It’ll faze me. I got two days skiing last season. None over our summer. My first weekend is next weekend and it’s looking a strong chance that will now go too.

fcuk.

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
We have five weeks. Surely they'll sort this out by then. In fact that's probably just enough time for another outbreak to kick in.

Every time my boss comes to town he has to sprint for the border before Anna shuts the gate. This is four times in a row. I blame him.

Hard to make plans in this day and age.

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
Any reports on dinner at Denman Terrace this season yet?
We went last week. Spatchcock entree was great. Lamb shoulder for main was nice but wasn't the biggest serve, was hoping/ wanting more. Overall good
1059DB32-F06D-4D02-AE10-5C1DEF45CD7D.jpeg

Edit: forgot I took a pic of the lamb

Last edited:

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Any reports on Bernti's this year? My BFF and I were hoping to have a celebratory dinner there together as we met both working there 30 years ago. Seems to be the priciest menus in Thredbo this year. Can anyone really justify a $69 tuna? Or a $150 steak to share between 2? (it's only 500g).

Reactions: Annabuzzy

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
We had a $100 steak in Canberra the other week, it was very good, but I wouldn't bother again. I imagine this one is similar, but Thredbo priced.

Reactions: sastrugi

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
We had a $100 steak in Canberra the other week, it was very good, but I wouldn't bother again. I imagine this one is similar, but Thredbo priced.
We shared an 800g steak in San Telmo (BA) on the night of my 50th over a local Malbec. I think it was around $90. Nothing, nothing will ever top that for the rest of my life!

Reactions: telecrag

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
We had dinner there a couple of weeks ago and actually thought it was good food and pretty good value (we didn’t have the steak or tuna).The wine was very good value as there are not many places where you can buy a bottle of reasonable wine for less than $40. Still not a place that most ‘locals’ will go to but that has nothing to do with the food.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
We had dinner there a couple of weeks ago and actually thought it was good food and pretty good value (we didn’t have the steak or tuna).The wine was very good value as there are not many places where you can buy a bottle of reasonable wine for less than $40. Still not a place that most ‘locals’ will go to but that has nothing to do with the food.
It absolutely has nothing to do with the food, and it was going to be a really big deal for us to go back there. However we were willing to suck it up and move on. Good to know the wine was good value, as we will be having afternoon drinks there.

We've booked dinners at Candlelight and t-bar, and a lunch at Kareela. Also, dinner at Black Bear next week for our short non-skiing visit. Couldn't get into Denman on the night we were wanting, shut for private function.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Candlelight have an expanded menu, but we still went for the shared Fondue (is that Covid kosher?) and Pork Knuckle. Massive feast, delectable - 10/10 - would feast again!
Good to know, had the fondue there a few years back and it wasn’t well made (cheese separated) may try again

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
So what’s the deal if there isn’t enough snow to get to kareela on Sunday?

had a pie from avalanche yesterday. Omg it was premium, would pie from there again

Reactions: Annabuzzy and LMB

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Oh had dinner at cascades last night. I am pretty certain that it’s the same kitchen as the pub.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Interesting wonder if its staffing issues? Cant operate two kitchens?
Don’t know but the kids menu between the two are exactly the same and what came out also looked the same just on different style of plates.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Don’t know but the kids menu between the two are exactly the same and what came out also looked the same just on different style of plates.
Ah that’s fair enough.

have worked in a few multi kitchen venues and things like that are common.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I thought Cascades and Segretos shared a kitchen, but not the Bistro. They all have a common owner though.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass