Thredbo restaurant reports, reviews and pics. Rona edition.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Bernti's used to only have one kitchen too, and a dumb waiter to get food downstairs and dirty plates upstairs. That was upgraded to 2 kitchens on 2 levels in the norties.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Giving river inn a shot tonight after the kids flare run and fireworks. They have bangers and mash on the menu.

Reactions: LMB

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Mask up, sanitize and keep your distance!!!
It was pretty dead in there tonight. Really just a handful of families.

The bangers and mash was good but the gravy tasted a bit too much like bbq sauce than gravy.

No kids meals on their menu either, though the kids got a pizza to share had one slice each after fighting over who got to use the pizza slice then decided they were full. Little assholes.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
All KT, one executive chef to rule them all.

Reminds me of decades ago in Canberra there were two Indian restaurants one upstairs from the other, different names. One was always full, one empty, so we booked the empty one one time. Same food exactly, they just had to run up stairs, haha, we made a habit of it for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: Billy_Buttons

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
No tables available for dinner next Thursday via online bookings, even though the village is at 30% and lockdown will not be reviewed until Friday. Didn't ANYONE have the common courtesy to cancel the dinner bookings they can't attend? I'll make a couple of calls and will be fine, but this must be infuriating for the restaurants themselves :(

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
No tables available for dinne
Everywhere we went this week was empty. We rang to make a reservation at the burger bar and the guy on the phone was surprised. Said it was nice to have someone ringing up to make a booking and not cancel one.

Reactions: LMB and Annabuzzy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Yep, this is what I keep hearing. Tried to make a phone booking at one venue where I was unable to book online and got talked over and down so I searched elsewhere.

Couldn't book Tbar online 2 days ago but just managed to book it now so we're in.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Yep, this is what I keep hearing. Tried to make a phone booking at one venue where I was unable to book online and got talked over and down so I searched elsewhere.

Couldn't book Tbar online 2 days ago but just managed to book it now so we're in.
I haven’t been down yet (this weekend was weekend one, but I’m locked in Sydney). But I’ve locked in 3 bookings for later in the season on the assumption that with Covid number restrictions, bookings would fill out quickly (assuming Sydney not locked down).

Reactions: sastrugi and Ozgirl

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
I haven’t been down yet (this weekend was weekend one, but I’m locked in Sydney). But I’ve locked in 3 bookings for later in the season on the assumption that with Covid number restrictions, bookings would fill out quickly (assuming Sydney not locked down).
That's totally cool, I have bookings for later in the month assuming we will be able to travel as well. What was frustrating me was not being able to book online for dates within the current Sydney/Brisbane lockdown, knowing that the restaurants were not full.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
That's totally cool, I have bookings for later in the month assuming we will be able to travel as well. What was frustrating me was not being able to book online for dates within the current Sydney/Brisbane lockdown, knowing that the restaurants were not full.
That’s strange indeed. Why wouldn’t they want your custom?

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
That’s strange indeed. Why wouldn’t they want your custom?
The online bookings were showing as no availability. Cancelled bookings weren't showing up online. Fortunately the Tbar updated their booking site over the past couple of days so I could book there this morning. The other venue I tried simply wouldn't listen and kept talking over me and telling me to book online :( I'll tell the owners when I see them, they will indeed be disappointed to know they lost a booking (doesn't matter who it was from, it's not a 'me' thing, it's them losing custom during a difficult season)

Reactions: LMB

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
@LMB and other locals with 2021 restaurant miles under their belt: if I was to book a restaurant for 11 people (6 adults 5 teens/kids) for a Saturday night later in the season, which restaurant would be your #1, 2 & 3 choices please? We are staying in Woodridge.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
The online bookings were showing as no availability. Cancelled bookings weren't showing up online. Fortunately the Tbar updated their booking site over the past couple of days so I could book there this morning. The other venue I tried simply wouldn't listen and kept talking over me and telling me to book online :( I'll tell the owners when I see them, they will indeed be disappointed to know they lost a booking (doesn't matter who it was from, it's not a 'me' thing, it's them losing custom during a difficult season)
Maybe they have made booking unavailable to screen customers?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I tried to book a Canberra restaurant online, and it looked like it was booked out for the rest of the year. Most of them seem to be using third party sites for bookings, and they are shit. Just ring, always.

Reactions: LMB and skull

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Maybe they have made booking unavailable to screen customers?
Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't take a phone booking if this was the case.
I had to enter a postcode in Tbar booking form. Happy to show them driver licence on entering if requested, as well as QR code check in. Happy to comply any way I can to get a meal and help their businesses but I can't do that without a booking, especially as they don't seem to be taking walk ins.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Maybe call and ask to speak to the owner now instead of complaining on the interwebs?

Yep the staff member may ha ve been rude. But maybe they need to be trained. So the owner doesnt lose more than one booking?

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Everywhere we went this week was empty. We rang to make a reservation at the burger bar and the guy on the phone was surprised. Said it was nice to have someone ringing up to make a booking and not cancel one.
Probably Steve.
Yeah, we ate there once this week, biggest table in the place. Trying to spread ourselves around the village as much as possible to help out the restaurants.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
@LMB and other locals with 2021 restaurant miles under their belt: if I was to book a restaurant for 11 people (6 adults 5 teens/kids) for a Saturday night later in the season, which restaurant would be your #1, 2 & 3 choices please? We are staying in Woodridge.
There is a separate room at Black Bear, meant to be a 10 person capacity - we had 11 but 2 little kids. It has a door that can open to the outside to let a bit of fresh air into the room (which we needed - it was warm). Felt really intimate and safely away from other groups. As we had all had contact with each other prior (sharing homes/family etc) we felt fully comfortable sharing that space.

Reactions: Lifes2good

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I tried to book a Canberra restaurant online, and it looked like it was booked out for the rest of the year. Most of them seem to be using third party sites for bookings, and they are shit. Just ring, always.
Except some keep redirecting you to use the website not realising the website isn’t updating.

Calling is smart.
Many places looking for customers. Although all are subject to lower number limits due to Covid m2 restrictions, so can’t take as many people as they used to.

Reactions: AJS

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014

As someone who has used 3rd party sites to manage reservations for OP businesses I have managed in the past, I can confirm that if guests cancel through the bookings site they made the reservation through (and gave their cc details to) that booking goes back into the online inventory automatically*.

If the guest instead calls the restaurant to cancel their booking the restaurant needs to log into 3rd party site to manually cancel their booking for them, and best practice would be to do this while on the call, but I would suggest that that not happening is the more likely reason for there being no availability online if you believe there were plenty of cancellations.

Alternatively there were probably plenty of people that didn't bother to cancel their reservations either online or by phone/email and the restaurants will happily take the p/p surcharge that every (privately owned) restaurant in Thredbo seems to have implemented this year.. As they should!

*If they haven't since reduced table/pax availability online due to tightened restrictions

Last edited:
Reactions: Annabuzzy

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
There is a separate room at Black Bear, meant to be a 10 person capacity - we had 11 but 2 little kids. It has a door that can open to the outside to let a bit of fresh air into the room (which we needed - it was warm). Felt really intimate and safely away from other groups. As we had all had contact with each other prior (sharing homes/family etc) we felt fully comfortable sharing that space.
Have sent an online request to book this - it seems to go straight to standby regardless of the date

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
ok, to inform what happens if there is no access to kareela on the day you have booked lunch. You get an email the day before saying they are unable to open and they cancel the reservation.

Hopefully they open in the next day or so.

Reactions: AJS

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
1625570407637.png

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Our two-day trip was cut short to 24 hours, mainly due to border threats and the fact that we accomplished everything we set out to achieve (except a ski!!) in that time. Dining review:

Segreto opens at 3pm til late and is decked out with lounges downstairs and tables upstairs. We had a cheeky glass of wine on arrival (Thursday) with a friend who was looking for a late lunch. His meatballs looked great, service was excellent. We returned there for a bite to eat after the party at 8pm. Really tasty Italian style pasta bowls and light meals. So glad that Segreto is back and we will return.

Friday morning we had brunch at Central Road. I had the Nasi Goreng, and while not cheap ($32), it's the best meal out I've eaten since I can remember. It was AH MAZE ING. And it's huge so definitely big enough to share. Cannot recommend that dish highly enough. +1 had the egg and bacon baguette which was also pretty tasty.

Friday lunch was spent at Black Bear as part of the afterparty celebrations, with cheese platters and bratwurst sausages provided (which I couldn't eat after the nasi goreng!) So lovely to be back in that venue during its last season :(

Sadly had to cancel our T-bar booking on Friday night due to our early departure. Tom, one of the new owners, is absolutely delightful and I desperately hope we can get back there for our booking end of month. They're doing full menu Fridays and weekends, and pizza and salads during the week.

In other news, Jodie's still making pies down the road at Crackenback Farm but they're selling faster than hotcakes so ring up and order a couple of days in advance.

It was such a short visit, but so incredible to be back in town for such a huge occasion (Frank's 100th) and we were instantly at home, as we always are when we return. Love ya Thredbo xxx

Black Bear on Friday lunch :metun:

9C2769B7-F599-4CCF-8816-503C16C8EF96.JPG

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
So I was introduced to the B&E rolls from the bakery the other week. I recommend, very nice, the coffee was ok too.

Last weekend:
Saturday lunch was at black sallees, no fighting for seats but was filling up by the time we finished. I got their gourmet hotdog, it was a lot of hotdog and pretty tasty. On Sunday I had Lunch from the shack at the bottom of the kosi chair. Wife had a pumkin soup and I had thai green curry both were pretty tasty and I would recommend if you wanted a quick and easy lunch but something different from the usual hot chips and pie combination.

We also did dinner at the burger bar on Saturday, bookings recommended although numbers are down they were getting pretty full and when we tried to book for our usual early dinner time we had to opt for a later time. Anyway as a change up from the usual blue brothers (mmm blue cheese) burger I went for the chook norris, again recommended. The chicken was amazing. As usual dessert was their honeycomb panna cotta - it is exceptional.

The weekend before I had a bacon and cheese pie from avalanche. OMG, fuggin amazing. would pie again.

Reactions: Sage O and LMB

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
On this trip we grabbed some pizza from the T bar which were good as well as some burgers from the burger bar which were better than I remembered.

also ate out at Sante’s which I was super happy with, had a great steak and the ribs looked good as well.

picked up a pie from Jodie at crackenback which is currently in the oven.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Who skis at Thredbo. It's all about the food.
And this is why you ski Perisher, wine darling, all about the wine, the food is then matched to the wine.

skiing with a hangover is an art, speaking of man I was dusty after listening to Jock last Friday.

p.s Zacette said she saw you teaching the last few days at Perisher, she was their with her school. I need to catch up and get a lesson to work on continuous leg movement still getting caught in holds whilst carving.

Reactions: fenrir

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
And this is why you ski Perisher, wine darling, all about the wine, the food is then matched to the wine.

skiing with a hangover is an art, speaking of man I was dusty after listening to Jock last Friday.

p.s Zacette said she saw you teaching the last few days at Perisher, she was their with her school. I need to catch up and get a lesson to work on continuous leg movement still getting caught in holds whilst carving.
I've been running a Level 2 Telemark course this week

I saw what looked like a girls school in the Perisher centre today. What was zacette's instructors name?

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I've been running a Level 2 Telemark course this week

I saw what looked like a girls school in the Perisher centre today. What was zacette's instructors name?
not sure she had a guy for Wed and Thursday who was good, today she had a girl who she didn’t like as much (contradicted everything the guy and Dawooduck had taught).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass