Thredbo Summer 21/22 - report, trips, pics, updates, general chatter.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Think the original email said; If you plan on riding more that 7 days then this is the pass for you, or something along those lines.
I think it said 7 or more days, so break even on 6, but only if you book online three weeks before, for a Wednesday, not including school holiday periods, while standing on one double vaccinated foot with a mask on. Otherwise its break even in a day.

Reactions: skull

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, I normally do around 15 days. But then I normally ski 30-40 days, but only did ten...

Reactions: crackson

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
So busy these days I wrote off Xmas and most of Jan, still got the days easy though

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
So i did a spreadsheet...

Assumed 2022 winter passes same price as this year (they won't be, but hopefully close). Also assumed they will offer a discount on next years winter season passes (for either 25%, 20%, 15%, 10%).

Seems like it'll be worth it if you can get at least 2-3 days in on the bikes this summer AND the discount on next years winter pass is at least 20%

Think i'll get a mountain bike pass:

1633941302797.png

Wish they'd just let you know what the discount will be on next years winter pass, rather than just saying:

1633941434879.png

1633941501948.png

Reactions: skull and catzizme
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
Unsurprising news that there will be new trails built in the 2022/23 summer at Cruiser. Is the Cruiser setup to take bikes at the moment? Wonder if/when Cruiser chair will be replaced? Another 4 seater or maybe a 6 seater?

And fcuk me, thats a lot of money to spend on a bike!

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...ain-biking-boom-in-canberra-snowies/?cs=14264

Huge retail demand for e-mountain bikes during lockdown will see thousands more riders hit the trails​

The mountains are calling this summer, with trails around Canberra and deep in the Snowies expected to be jumping with mountain bikers when the season begins in earnest next month.
Bumper retail online sales through the lockdown period and the fast-tracking of consumer-friendly, battery-assist technology in e-bikes has hundred of thousands of new buyers in the saddle.

Thredbo general manager Stuart Diver is expecting the biggest summer ever at the mountain resort when the season kicks off on November 20, with the Merritts gondola taking up riders for the first time.
The top of the gondola feeds riders into the new Sidewinder beginner/intermediate "gravity flow" trail which winds its way 3.2km down the mountain through a twisting series of berms and banked turns.

There are eight downhill trails in all across the resort, as well as jump parks, terrain parks, cross-country trails and recreational runs through the Thredbo Valley. When the legs become too sore to keep riding, the resort is pushing ahead with other ways to keep visitors engaged.

Two big projects planned are an alpine coaster and a series of mountain zip lines, expected to be the longest and fastest in the country.
"One of the big issues we had with COVID is that most of that stuff comes out of Europe, so there's been supply issues and unfortunately some of those projects have been delayed for around 12 months," Mr Diver said.
"It's not by our choice; we would like to be building them right now if we could.
"But in the case of the alpine coaster, for instance, you need the skilled constructors to come out of Europe and obviously they haven't been able to get here during COVID."
The plan for the 2022-23 summer is to further expand mountain biking into the Cruiser area above Merritts spur "and that's going to become our intermediate mountain biking park".

"Every year we're going to add more area for mountain biking because the growth is just so huge," he said.
One of the "bucket list" Thredbo adventure rides is to buy a $49 scenic day pass and take your bike up the Kosciuszko Express chair to the top of the all-mountain trail, ride down the mountain, hook up with the spectacular new Thredbo Valley Trail and follow it across three suspension bridges to the Gaden Trout Hatchery near Lake Jindabyne, a distance of just over 35km.
Every year we're going to add more area for mountain biking because the growth is just so huge.
Thredbo general manager Stuart Diver
Bicycle industry spokesman Peter Bourke said the past seven months had seen extraordinary sales growth across all sectors, with mountain bikes making up about 24.5 per cent of all sales. About 1.7 million new bikes were expected to be sold this year - about 600,000 more than last year - with all the solid growth in past seven months.
"I think that during the lockdown period, many Australians have genuinely rediscovered their love of cycling," he said.
"What we have seen, however, are issues with supply. Shipping delays and rising costs have been an ongoing problem."
Bike retailers are witnessing that growth first-hand. One of the fastest-growing segments this year has been mountain e-bikes, which use a battery to provide pedal assist for riders to get back up the hills.
Riders still have to pedal, but torque sensors on the cranks engage the battery to ease the effort involved.

Shane Wolki, managing director and co-founder of Fyshwick-based bike retailer Pushys, said the company's retail stores had been hard hit during the latest lockdown but online business "has done exceptionally well".
"Electric bikes have been the fastest-growing part of our business and within that genre, mountain e-bikes have been massive," he said.
He said when high-end, dual suspension mountain bikes became commonplace over the past five years "now what we're finding is that the average buyer of a mountain e-bike is becoming younger and younger and the more experienced, fitter riders are jumping on board, too".
"The theory is with these people is that they have maybe two hours spare to go out [riding] with their mates. On a mountain bike in that time they can cover maybe 20km, but with an e-bike they can get twice the riding distance in for the same workout," he said.

"You've still got to work with an e-bike - they're pedal-assist - but the more power you put into the cranks, the less effort is needed to get up the hills. So you're getting up the hills quicker, and covering more distance.
"Most mountain bikers much prefer coming down the hills than going up."
An independent report commissioned by Mountain Bike Australia last year identified it as currently one of the fastest-growing recreational and tourism activities in the world. Sport Australia data revealed there were 341,900 participants nationally.
The data found people spent an average of $3263 on a new bike and $662 on tools, additional features and spare parts, plus $247 on protective equipment and $286 on specific rider clothing.
Two-thirds of the riders surveyed said they took intrastate holidays to go riding.
"Three to four years ago we'd struggle to sell a mountain e-bike over $5000," Mr Wolki said.
"Now it's quite common to sell them over $10,000. Now $5000 is considered on the cheap end."

Reactions: Alleve

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Unsurprising news that there will be new trails built in the 2022/23 summer at Cruiser. Is the Cruiser setup to take bikes at the moment? Wonder if/when Cruiser chair will be replaced? Another 4 seater or maybe a 6 seater?

And fcuk me, thats a lot of money to spend on a bike!

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...ain-biking-boom-in-canberra-snowies/?cs=14264
Diver mentioned that they were planning to replace all major lifts (Snowgums, Gunbarrel, Cruiser, Kosciuszko) as well as Easy Rider T-Bar with a newer T-Bar. Snowgums will be a 6, and it's a fair bet the rest of the chairs will be too. Snowgums and Gunbarrel are a bigger priority for various reasons (including GBs habit to being too detachable) so while we're definitely getting a new Cruiser, it'll be some 5+ years away imo.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Diver mentioned that they were planning to replace all major lifts (Snowgums, Gunbarrel, Cruiser, Kosciuszko) as well as Easy Rider T-Bar with a newer T-Bar. Snowgums will be a 6, and it's a fair bet the rest of the chairs will be too. Snowgums and Gunbarrel are a bigger priority for various reasons (including GBs habit to being too detachable) so while we're definitely getting a new Cruiser, it'll be some 5+ years away imo.
That's funny. I still think of Cruiser as a new lift! I have hard copy pics of it being installed by the Russian helicopter with bullet holes in it, one day i'll find them and post them.

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
That's funny. I still think of Cruiser as a new lift! I have hard copy pics of it being installed by the Russian helicopter with bullet holes in it, one day i'll find them and post them.
If im honest, same, and I haven't even been skiing at Thredbo that long. It's strange to think it's already 27 years old. Those 90s Doppelmayr lifts last forever, but Cruiser only has 8-10 years of life left max, especially if they're gonna be using it in summer

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Down low, yes. Up high, not as many. Mainly Copperheads.
I used to see them up high more, but probs as I was working up there 5 days a week! Some copperheads up high, mainly small whip snakes basking under the protection of the raised walking track.

I recall someone had a snake bite at their boot on the walking track down between Twynam and Bernti's one year. However I lived in that part of the village for 8 years and never saw any snakes there, even near the creek.

Reactions: telecrag

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Same.

I learnt my shocking snow plough using the Merrits T's, so when the Cruiser arrived it was looooxury.

Reactions: sastrugi

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Looking at current conditions (it will melt fast) + forecast, I reckon opening is going to be a fizzer

Reactions: teleroo

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Interesting day out.

1. it appears that the cable on Cruiser is being replaced with a Dopplemayer truck up there. The cable itself is down.

2. a number of bikes riding around on the tracks. Six bikes appeared at the bottom of Cruiser having ridden up. Everyone was very muddy!

3. More people in town than have been here for months. Merrits restaurant was quite full with the gondola proving very popular. Good call KT opening it each weekend.

4. The gondola now has carriers for two bikes on each cabin.

Sorry, a little wet for photos.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
20211124_141116.jpg

Packed the car after a quick ride and before the rain today. This is the gear and spares for Thredbo summer riding.
Bikes are now set up for gravity. Sticky rubber up front with a more robust wheelset. Put the alu bars back on and raised the stack. Bigger rotors up front. And put a 38 chaining on the old Spectral and 34 on the 29er cause that's the biggest that fits.
Heaps of spares as can be seen. Wheels, rims, tyres, rotors, pads, cables, etc...and tools. Prepared.
Plan on 15 days before Xmas. Hopefully 50 by seasons end.
No injuries.
Ride on. See you there.

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
20211124_141116.jpg

Packed the car after a quick ride and before the rain today. This is the gear and spares for Thredbo summer riding.
Bikes are now set up for gravity. Sticky rubber up front with a more robust wheelset. Put the alu bars back on and raised the stack. Bigger rotors up front. And put a 38 chaining on the old Spectral and 34 on the 29er cause that's the biggest that fits.
Heaps of spares as can be seen. Wheels, rims, tyres, rotors, pads, cables, etc...and tools. Prepared.
Plan on 15 days before Xmas. Hopefully 50 by seasons end.
No injuries.
Ride on. See you there.
Dont forget to put the end plugs in your bars. Safety first.

Reactions: jonathanc and skull

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
There will be a lot of pressure for them to open on Saturday - village full of visitors - but they have done a lot of trail preparation work which will basically be destroyed if they open while its raining. Will be interesting who wins the argument.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Went up for a look this arvo
20211126_144605.jpg

Not much has changed. A couple berms have been rebuilt taller.
20211126_145006.jpg

There's alot of snow in the alpine. Upper All Mountain trail will be closed till Australia Day. Even Exhibition looks skiable.
Merritts Falls has a 3 metre snow drift on it.
Threw a snowball.
20211126_145939.jpg

It's wet wet wet. I doubt they'll open on time tomorrow. I heard KT would happily delay mtb season till next week but local businesses and property owners are screaming for customers.
Anyway I'll give it a slash for a couple laps first up before it turns to porridge.
20211126_152853.jpg

Stay safe everyone.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Went up for a look this arvo
20211126_144605.jpg

Not much has changed. A couple berms have been rebuilt taller.
20211126_145006.jpg

There's alot of snow in the alpine. Upper All Mountain trail will be closed till Australia Day. Even Exhibition looks skiable.
Merritts Falls has a 3 metre snow drift on it.
Threw a snowball.
20211126_145939.jpg

It's wet wet wet. I doubt they'll open on time tomorrow. I heard KT would happily delay mtb season till next week but local businesses and property owners are screaming for customers.
Anyway I'll give it a slash for a couple laps first up before it turns to porridge.
20211126_152853.jpg

Stay safe everyone.
A87DDFCA-87C8-44DD-BE43-65BEB4C12006.jpeg

Woooo!
Looks steeper than I remember!

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
Well according to the thredbo report, lifts are open for mountain biking today

1637964363595.png

Pity the weather report for today looks absolute shit! Maybe banking on people doing 1 or 2 runs then deciding this is fcukt and doing other things for the day and not destroying the tracks?

1637964294399.png

Reactions: Alleve

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Tracks are destroyed. I have never seen them so bad. Got first chair on the Kosi with only a half dozen soft spots with front wheel drifts. Second run it was dangerous. Moved across the hill to All Mountain and Sidewinder to try and get in front of most riders. Two on each, we were done.

Mountain should not have been open!!!
20211127_112749.jpg
20211127_124254.jpg

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Fk that! I would have hired a bike. Poor bastards. Reminds me of Maydena, always hire.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Fk that! I would have hired a bike. Poor bastards. Reminds me of Maydena, always hire.
Bar the first run, which was bearable. It was shit. All good. New 29er doesn't come out for this. This bike is 4.5 years old and 20k kms on it. Only original part is the frame. Perfect play bike. Just keep it running new with no weak parts.

Got the fire hose on it to clean it up.
20211127_124318.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass