Thredbo Summer 21/22 - report, trips, pics, updates, general chatter.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skisax

Hard Yards
Jan 30, 2011
Canberra
Had a few runs on Saturday and Sunday. Some spots were diabolical on Saturday but most of the hill held up reasonably well considering the amount of rain in the days prior IMO. Incredibly it was mostly awesome on Sunday apart from a few wet bits.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
IME Thredbo can be awesome the day after 30mm, but takes a couple of days for 100mm. It handles it better than a lot of areas, and of course a commercial trail has a budget for works, so the decision to open is complex. I can only see parks being interested in the trails effect on runoff etc, rather than any damage to the trail itself.

Personally I don’t ride mud, but if a commercial venue is open, I don’t hold it against those that do. It gets tricky if a commercial operation draws riders that ride volunteer built/maintained trails in the area, thinking it’s OK, as the commercial was open.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
IME Thredbo can be awesome the day after 30mm, but takes a couple of days for 100mm. It handles it better than a lot of areas, and of course a commercial trail has a budget for works, so the decision to open is complex. I can only see parks being interested in the trails effect on runoff etc, rather than any damage to the trail itself.

Personally I don’t ride mud, but if a commercial venue is open, I don’t hold it against those that do. It gets tricky if a commercial operation draws riders that ride volunteer built/maintained trails in the area, thinking it’s OK, as the commercial was open.
Commercial pressure would have been so huge to open.
A punt that appears to maybe have luckily and hopefully literally paid off.
Speculating but has the ante now upped to remain open after significant rain?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
They don't have a choice if its windy, so I don't think so. It was opening pressure.

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
So why the fcuk did it take parks 4 days to check the tracks?
It didnt. There was people up there keeping an eye on things on saturday and sunday - some of them were even on bikes. Maybe the people walking the tracks yesterday were the people checking the remedial work that had already been completed. Or they could have been doing something completely different.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
It didnt. There was people up there keeping an eye on things on saturday and sunday - some of them were even on bikes. Maybe the people walking the tracks yesterday were the people checking the remedial work that had already been completed. Or they could have been doing something completely different.
Who you saw up there were Bike Patrol parked in standard spots. There were no major injuries Saturday or Sunday. Conditions were way too slow. What was more of a concern. There were no deviations in place till Monday to avoid bogs. By Tuesday it was all hands on deck 20 + staff running load after load of dirt up the hill in kubota awd vehicles filling in holes on Flow and All Mountain. Overall wear and tear in one day (Saturday) was equivalent to all of January holiday makers running the tracks.
I normally love December riding. Tracks are fresh, filled and running fast. It's gonna take them weeks to get back on track to where they should be.

Reactions: Untele-whippet

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
Who you saw up there were Bike Patrol parked in standard spots. There were no major injuries Saturday or Sunday. Conditions were way too slow. What was more of a concern. There were no deviations in place till Monday to avoid bogs. By Tuesday it was all hands on deck 20 + staff running load after load of dirt up the hill in kubota awd vehicles filling in holes on Flow and All Mountain. Overall wear and tear in one day (Saturday) was equivalent to all of January holiday makers running the tracks.
I normally love December riding. Tracks are fresh, filled and running fast. It's gonna take them weeks to get back on track to where they should be.
Yes, bike patrol were around the mountain as usual but I personally know both the KT enviro person and National Parks people who do track inspections (ie: give permision to open - especially the upper all mountain) and spoke to them on mountain on Saturday and Sunday. They may not have been in uniform but they were definitely up there keeping an eye on things and also having a bit of fun - you may have noticed several fencing changes throughout the day both saturday and sunday which were completed at their suggestion (main ones were spreading the damage from the step up on the flow track to the jump line). Basic strategy when it is that wet - keep people in the bog to minimise the area you have to fix.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Went up for a look this arvo
20211126_144605.jpg

Not much has changed. A couple berms have been rebuilt taller.
20211126_145006.jpg

There's alot of snow in the alpine. Upper All Mountain trail will be closed till Australia Day. Even Exhibition looks skiable.
Merritts Falls has a 3 metre snow drift on it.
Threw a snowball.
20211126_145939.jpg

It's wet wet wet. I doubt they'll open on time tomorrow. I heard KT would happily delay mtb season till next week but local businesses and property owners are screaming for customers.
Anyway I'll give it a slash for a couple laps first up before it turns to porridge.
20211126_152853.jpg

Stay safe everyone.
In the olden days, when conditions allowed (and they often did) they held a race on this drift on Boxing Day or New ears Day (I forget which).

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
National Parks were out again today with a note book. They were looking at every rock imbedded in the tracks and were taking notes. What's going on?
Also no trail work again today. Berms repaired on Tuesday are primo
20211130_111610.jpg
Those not repaired are frozen moments of mud, if you know what I mean.
Also where are all those kids and families coming from?

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
National Parks were out again today with a note book. They were looking at every rock imbedded in the tracks and were taking notes. What's going on?
Also no trail work again today. Berms repaired on Tuesday are primo
20211130_111610.jpg
Those not repaired are frozen moments of mud, if you know what I mean.
Also where are all those kids and families coming from?
Private schools have finished for the year.

Reactions: Alleve

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
A turnaround from two weeks ago.
Screenshot_20211211-075213_Samsung Internet.jpg
Then we had 100mm before and they opened on the Saturday. This week 60mm from Wednesday, only 1mm yesterday and mtb park closed since Thursday.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I wonder how the call is made, wind is easier I guess. Commercial park, so IMO their call.

I note Mt Gladstone is closed this weekend. Not sure about Jindy, but they are asking people not to ride it also.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Its a commercial decision, which would take in money made v cost to repair. IMO the demand this season will be "unprecedented".

Thredbo does handle the wet really well, and a lot of the damage self repairs (by people riding it flat) also. But as we saw there are a few sections where they need to rethink the design, put in some hard infrastructure. IMO they could almost weather proof it.

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Wow, it was busy today with both riders and hikers out in force. Followed about 100 people on the way to Kosci lookout!

With this many people out now it will be interesting to see how busy it gets after Christmas.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass