Thredbo Summer 21/22 - report, trips, pics, updates, general chatter.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Are you now stranded in Sydney covid positive
No. Canberra.
But only because I tested negative and hustled to hire a car and drive us back to our friends to isolate together.

Were the 5/6 diagnosed in Sydney or in the states?. We are due to fly next week and am starting to feel a little neurotic about everyone I see!
NSW and ACT.
PB tested positive on our day before flying test.

We were being super careful, N95s, limiting contacts, and the only place we were was Thredbo - get gear, be careful, get to the US.

For us it was the household contact because we stayed with the one other couple (our best friends), who we are now back with for 2 weeks.

PB wasn’t the first to test positive, but he was the 3rd we know of that got his results back because of how fast our turn around was (an hour). Since then it’s been semi regular phone pings “another one, another one,
Another one”.

If you’re travelling soon I’d recommend not sharing the house with anyone and taking every precaution. Unless you’re happy to do the whole dance to cancel and or change bookings and put everything back at least a fortnight. And maybe have to do it again LOL

• Sad
Reactions: Untele-whippet

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Sounds like a bit floating about the region, sounds like a lot (relatively) of venues are closed due to staff/iso etc. Hardly surprising given the Xmas period. If your business makes this year, you know you can trade through Armageddon I reckon, wow.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Well that's just shit :(
Yes and No.

Covid is shit.
The world grinding to a halt in many areas is shit.
At this stage, I certainly don’t regret going to Thredbo for a second, might revise if one of us ends up with poor outcomes… but it is what it is as we live through where we are now to regain a more normal life - one that brings us in and out of Thredbo summer and winter and in between without the Covid threat being a major consideration for visitors or for businesses.

Missing a few weeks snowboarding sucks. But that’s just me being greedy.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Sorry to hear LMB. We are being very careful, wearing N95 masks whenever we are near anyone. However most visitors are not wearing masks and there is no social distancing in the long queues.

I must admit I am not feeling optimistic about our chances of testing negative at the airport.

• Sad
Reactions: sastrugi

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Sounds like a bit floating about the region, sounds like a lot (relatively) of venues are closed due to staff/iso etc. Hardly surprising given the Xmas period. If your business makes this year, you know you can trade through Armageddon I reckon, wow.
I was in Jindy for an hour this morning.
Quite a few closed with signs about staff and / or Covid.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
This aged well hahahaha

At least I wasn’t naive enough to not seriously consider the risk of Covid. But as it turns out 5/6 in our group and many more besides are now confirmed positives.

Stay safe friends.
It’s everywhere. And as you can imagine we were being super cautious because we actually WANTED to make our flight.
Dang! Double dang!!
Might see you on the hill MTBing then!
Clouds and silver linings!

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Dang! Double dang!!
Might see you on the hill MTBing then!
Clouds and silver linings!
Don’t tempt PB if there was a bike hire available over NY he would’ve been on the hill. We did do the NYE farewell to Aus from the top of Aus thing though.
6D35DA8A-4438-4884-A9D4-B5439F308FDC.jpeg

He will be out of Covid Jail on Monday assuming good health. But I won’t. Haven’t got a positive test yet. Swabbed again yesterday. So Canberra and locked up we stay. Coles deliveries are dismal! And coffee options dire. But the infected company is tops.

Hoping to resume journey Tuesday 18th.

We might make a trip back to Thredbo - there are some dates free at our place later next week. See how the Covid journey plays out.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Don’t tempt PB if there was a bike hire available over NY he would’ve been on the hill. We did do the NYE farewell to Aus from the top of Aus thing though.
6D35DA8A-4438-4884-A9D4-B5439F308FDC.jpeg

He will be out of Covid Jail on Monday assuming good health. But I won’t. Haven’t got a positive test yet. Swabbed again yesterday. So Canberra and locked up we stay. Coles deliveries are dismal! And coffee options dire. But the infected company is tops.

Hoping to resume journey Tuesday 18th.

We might make a trip back to Thredbo - there are some dates free at our place later next week. See how the Covid journey plays out.
Happy and healthy travels!

Reactions: sastrugi and LMB

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
I'm pretty sure that Werner actually designed the run himself, all to stop the HN traffic hitting FF beginners.

They wanted to expand the Friday Flat area as it was getting too crowded. That required a diversion of the High Noon run out, which straightened the exit run and left space for a new run on Friday Flat. They built a new bridge over the creek to create the HN run out, built a moving carpet / tunnel to extend FF a little higher, and introduced GiddyUp as a new run at Friday Flat. I recall someone saying the new run out was to be called 'Werner's' at the time, but it's never been named on the trail map to my knowledge.

Last edited:

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
What's the latest village vibe around Blues-fest? Is it still a happening thing; is it being scaled back due to restrictions; are people thinking it's unlikely to go ahead? Any updates would be appreciated.

teebee

One of Us
Aug 19, 2009
Sydney, NSW
What's the latest village vibe around Blues-fest? Is it still a happening thing; is it being scaled back due to restrictions; are people thinking it's unlikely to go ahead? Any updates would be appreciated.
Yes I been wondering as well
Booked in our lodge for 4 nights
Not much information out there but I did find this article on ABC website ( link below) that says it's still on and one of few festivals still going ahead much to the relief of musos
I think sitting down and listening (no grooving or singing and probably masks) will be on the cards which makes it not nearly as much fun
Also had a booking at a restaurant that has now been cancelled by them ...shut due to covid

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Chamber of Commerce has probs got it up and running to get peeps into the village from the carparks. Always used to be an issue... newbies arrive, see the car park and don't explore further. A free bus is always a great idea to get the masses exploring and spending.

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013
Last nights email from Thredbo set out upcoming summer events including the Blues festival. Says it is going to be bigger than ever but also says it is already sold out due to Covid induced number caps.

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Yep. We're being told NSW Health set a cap of 500 tickets, so they were instantly sold out from that moment on. No idea what happens to anyone who holds tickets numbered from 501 up. Covid strikes again.

Bigger than ever? I don't think so.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Staying at Lake Crackenback this week. Restaurants both closed except for takeaways due to COVID impacting on staffing. Ventured into Thredbo today to do a beginners MTB skills course. ‘Twas good! My 15yo was the speed demon in the group, rather unfortunately for the snake he ran over on the Pipeline trail (the snake appeared to escape relatively unscathed). Apparently the trails were heavily impacted by the recent heavy rain; the Dead Horse gap track is partly closed (you cannot walk this from the top of Kosi chair back down to Thredbo as several bridges are damaged/gone, according to Guest Services).

Anyway, enjoyed our lesson with the very affable Adrian and gained a bit more confidence in cornering and riding narrow sections of trails. 15yo was eyeing off some jumps as we finished (possibly not a good idea with his basic hardtail). Nice walk along Meadows Nature Trail afterwards.

78CE31E7-3B1A-4795-BD1A-8D2AA4B9056D.jpeg

DB3557BF-B984-4C16-99E6-653768ECE95C.jpeg

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Staying at Lake Crackenback this week. Restaurants both closed except for takeaways due to COVID impacting on staffing. Ventured into Thredbo today to do a beginners MTB skills course. ‘Twas good! My 15yo was the speed demon in the group, rather unfortunately for the snake he ran over on the Pipeline trail (the snake appeared to escape relatively unscathed). Apparently the trails were heavily impacted by the recent heavy rain; the Dead Horse gap track is partly closed (you cannot walk this from the top of Kosi chair back down to Thredbo as several bridges are damaged/gone, according to Guest Services).

Anyway, enjoyed our lesson with the very affable Adrian and gained a bit more confidence in cornering and riding narrow sections of trails. 15yo was eyeing off some jumps as we finished (possibly not a good idea with his basic hardtail). Nice walk along Meadows Nature Trail afterwards.

78CE31E7-3B1A-4795-BD1A-8D2AA4B9056D.jpeg

DB3557BF-B984-4C16-99E6-653768ECE95C.jpeg
Super Awesome Lady P , a great place in summer . ( and winter)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass