Thredbo summer getaway

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'm thinking of heading up to Thredbo for 3 or 4 days in late November (not the snowy ride weekend) for a birthday treat with +1. Will probably ride the motorbikes if the weather is good. Don't want to splurge too much, but it would be nice to feel a bit special rather than bargain basement

Thredbo Hotel is not listing prices at this stage
Denman is very pricey. Some time ago I looked at their website and they had pics of rooms that weren't that inspiring. They seem to have been removed
House of Ullr price looks better

or I can probably stay in a club lodge pretty cheaply - but without it feeling special.

Because we might take the motorbikes, I want to stay within walking distance of shops etc, so Penderlee etc are not options.

We've stayed at the Thredbo Hotel before and it's quite acceptable. Would appreciate any comments on Denman, Ullr or other places that should be open even at a very quiet time.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Curra it's hard to beat the Riverside cabins. My +1 always prefers beach to mtns out of season (d'oh!) but I can usually sell her on a weekend at Riverside cabs. Really peaceful and close enough to heart of resort yet you feel like you're in the bush

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Thanks. would prefer hotel or lodge to apartments, but riverside looks quite good. not really cheaper than Denman and you can't start your stay on a Saturday
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
Anyway, I quite like the Denman. The rooms are on the smallish side but in Thredbo you aren't spending your time sitting inside, and even if you are, their bar area is very nice.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
when you're travelling by bike, I think it's nice to stay somewhere with, or very near, a bar, cafe etc.

I'm only going by the website regarding no saturday starts at riverside. i could ring and check, but for basically the same price as Denman (given your endorsement and my preference for hotel/lodge) I probably won't bother.

also, last time we stayed at thredbo (late jan this year) there were hardly any eateries open to the public. another reason for staying somewhere where you can get buy dinner. IIRC only The Pub and Sante were open to general public on what looked like a fairly busy day.

anyway thanks

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
If you're interested in an apartment I like the Snowgoose Apartments too, right next door to the Denman.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The Wang said:
If you're interested in an apartment I like the Snowgoose Apartments too, right next door to the Denman.
I just like apartments for the size.

I've stayed in Denman, TAH and apartments in Thredbo and I just prefer the size and having things like a balcony looking over the hill.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
November is probably the quietest month in Thredbo. If its dry enough I like to get on the DH MTB track when it opens in late November. Its quiet, the flowers are all blooming, it is so green it hurts your eyes, the temperature is excellent for walking and riding, and no bloody flies. But not much open at all.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using