1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo - Sun 19th and Mon 20th August

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Zeroz, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I have been to many resorts, but never Thredbo. So...Thredbo on Sunday and Monday – me and my two kids (9 & 11). Also to test drive the 9yr old who somehow broke his ankle snowboarding in January.
    My observations:

1. Needs more snow. Runs closed include Dream Run, the Schuss, Pegasus, lower Funnelweb, and most below, apart from the strip of sugar snow to Kosciuszko Express and Gunbarrel. Without a serious dump, those aren’t opening again.

2. Snow up top is ok, it maybe speckled 4cm on Sat night. But it was hot on both days. It’s supposed to be winter, but it’s not.
    Middle part was rock solid in the morning, turning to mush on the high traffic areas (hey Thredbo, put that in the snow report!).
    Bottom is porridge. And t-shirt weather, literally.

3. What is the deal with Australian male skiers and blasting at high speed through slushy, crowded areas? Strange thing was that many (not all) of them could ski ok. It’s pure show-off behavior as it doesn't take much skill to go fast down the village trail to the Valley Terminal. Thredbo needs a ski version of the ‘little finger’ road safety ads.

4. While World Cup and the Supertrail were chock full of hero skiers, the more challenging areas like The Bluff and Cannonball were empty.
    The trees under Snowgum chair (below Black Sallees) had good snow, it’s not steep, and fun to ski. But the only people I saw were instructors leading a class.
    (Follow instructors: they always know where the best conditions are).
    Same thing above Antons and Sponars. Nice snow, untracked, intermediate. It’s not hard to get to and rock slalom in good snow is fun.

5. What the f is going on with that area above the Bluff that looks down on the Basin t-bar? It has a small terrain park rail and then a 5m drop off. I’m motoring along having fun and next thing I’m airborne and in a World Cup event. Must take more notice of orange sticks.

6. The huge percentage of people wearing helmets. But after experiencing no.3. maybe I understand.

7. Bizarro expensivo. $94 for a day ticket? $1000 all up for 2 days. I know we have had 243 threads on this topic, but wow. And what’s with all the t-bars? Use the money to buy a second-hand chairlift on Ebay ffs.

In summary, reset expectations from the great start in July to the ugly reality of August. The skiing isn't bad up higher and it's still top to bottom. But is deteriorating every day and looking at The Frog, nothing significant is happening for the next week at least.

#1 Zeroz, Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  2. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Welcome to Australian skiing.

3. foxpuppet

foxpuppet One of Us

good report i say

4. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Good report Zeroz, thanks.

5. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

true.

any pics? good report.

#5 hongomania, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty much what I found too.

In defence of the good skiers hitting the slush, I have to say that given the option of the icy ball bearings on Central Spur and the Basin/Karels, I thought the slush moguls were the more interesting skiing. I actually found them good fun, but I'm kinda perverted that way.

Having said that, it doesn't take a lot of intelligence to wait for a decent break in the traffic and then hit them in relative safety. There were some idiots out there tearing down the busy areas like there was no tomorrow. From what I saw, they were mostly males around 25-45. I've often seen that kind of behaviour before when things get busy - they're too impatient to wait for a gap so they just hammer through the traffic, often in very close proximity to each other.

These people ski like they, and the people in front and beside them, will never make a mistake. If they do, a collision is often unavoidable. I've blown an ACL when someone ran into me (and I was already paranoid before that) - maybe these guys need the same lesson before they learn.

7. scottik187

scottik187 Hard Yards

good report - i was there for the wk previous to that...and although i enjoyed myself immensly, the snow quality wasnt the best.

Soft snow is good for hitting the park, jumps and rails etc.

The lower half of thredbo is a mess - but who cares?? the top half still has a lot of snow, and although it could really do with a freshen up, its still a lot of fun! You dont go skiing/boarding in Aus for knee deep freshies, you go cause you love skiiing/boarding...well i do anyways.

8. The Frog

The Frog Old n' Crusty

Snow guns came on about 20 mins ago on the lower crackenback supertrail...bit noisy here, might have to close the window.

Snow has been pretty good early on the crackenback supertrail. We have been doing about four or five early runs before it gets too crowded then head over to high noon which has been good til about 11am when it starts to soften. We then head over to Antons and Sponars which are in good nic til about 1pm.

The bottom of sponars was getting patchy today. Both supertrails are in very good nic, it just gets very soft very quickly with the warm daytime temps.

Will be skiing til about 1pm tomorrow then heading back to the gong.