Thredbo Terrain Parks 2014

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
So now that Reuben Cameron (ex Falls park guy) has taken over the helm at Thredbo for Park management, I'd be interested to hear how the parks ride this season, especially as a lot of the long time Thredbo riders seem to have switched to riding Perisher (as Charles Beckinsale has taken up park duties there).

Given our excellent early season snowfalls, It looks as though things are going very well with the new Superpark off supertrail opening and good views of it through the new cam.

Can anyone advise on how the parks are riding so far this season?

Adricat

One of Us
Aug 10, 2011
ACT
6 days skiing so far this season and yet to see anyone actually riding the Supertrail/ Highnoon area park(s).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
Yep agree with adricat huge waste of terrain on supertrail

Really? That chute is no big loss, it's like 15% of the Meadows. I saw people riding it. The reality is though the number of people that hit the intermediate and above features is very very small.

The dedicated moguls course was a great idea, I had fun with that, my knees didn't!

Adricat

One of Us
Aug 10, 2011
ACT
Really? That chute is no big loss, it's like 15% of the Meadows. I saw people riding it. The reality is though the number of people that hit the intermediate and above features is very very small.

The dedicated moguls course was a great idea, I had fun with that, my knees didn't!
The peeps looking for the bigger jumps are at Perisher. Their park is very well used, inc the largest jumps.

thebutterman

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2009
The parks are pretty good this year and infinitely better than last year. The super park is nicely shaped, super easy to hit the sweet spot and merits park has a great progression for beginners.

The high noon park won't be around for too much longer and some of the jumps are pretty easy to take to flat.

surfer1

Addicted
Aug 1, 2001
Sydney
The parks are pretty good this year and infinitely better than last year. The super park is nicely shaped, super easy to hit the sweet spot and merits park has a great progression for beginners.

The high noon park won't be around for too much longer and some of the jumps are pretty easy to take to flat.
I am hearing that this is the last weekend of any terrain parks on high noon

thebutterman

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2009
Possibly.

The high noon park is great for a quick lap from Friday flat but for most people the lap is too long.

The super park is rad because you can lap snow gums to bunny walk or you can lap Kosci and cut out from the bluff, over to the bump line and down to the park.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
I like the way there is a clear progression from Merritts mellow jumps to medium High Noon and the large ones near the racecourse on Supertrail. The latter being daunting enough to not be used much. Saw a couple of heavy landings that only teens and 20 somethings would be able to dust themselves off and carry on from.

sea_dog

Hard Yards
May 16, 2014
The high noon park is always good if you want to hide from people on the chairlift incase you make a fool of yourself

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
Super park looked awesome but really, is there any more than one percent of the riding population who can honestly use it as it was intended?

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
Co

Could say the same about funnel web.

Funnel web could never be anything but what it is, black
The super park is intermediate terrain that majority of riders on Kosi or snowgums would use if wasn't there.
In 5 days I was there I never saw a single person using it
Not one

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Funnel web could never be anything but what it is, black
The super park is intermediate terrain that majority of riders on Kosi or snowgums would use if wasn't there.
In 5 days I was there I never saw a single person using it
Not one
Yeah, nahh. Pretty quiet on FW too whenever I'm there. Just a different market segment. You could groom FW daily if you really wanted to have people in there.

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Super park looked awesome but really, is there any more than one percent of the riding population who can honestly use it as it was intended?
Thredbo seems to be obsessed with going after a small percentage crowd who use this type of facility .last year they built a mega jump for weeks while the resort went to the dogs .admittedly it was a poor year but they pushed a mountain of snow around up there when sure Ly more could have been done to keep the rest of the mountain operational.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Thredbo seems to be obsessed with going after a small percentage crowd who use this type of facility .last year they built a mega jump for weeks while the resort went to the dogs .admittedly it was a poor year but they pushed a mountain of snow around up there when sure Ly more could have been done to keep the rest of the mountain operational.
Was it really either/or?

Lachie

One of Us
Mar 22, 2000
ACT
The parks are mixed this season.

The Merrits park is good. the 5-jump line is very smooth and well spaced, and progress very well. They are so smooth they don't register as airtime on my app. It's good that there's a rail line and a jump line. BUT…

There's a random extra jump put there to suit people coming off easy rider, and it creates chaos. You get punters coming from Playground hitting the first two jumps and buggering off to the chair, other punters hitting the middle jump, then either cutting across the second jump to go to the chair, turn it into a side hit, or join the main jump line. A beginner park is alway part chaos with beginners and punters who don't know or think about park etiquette, lesson groups, school groups etc. The mid jump just creates chaos.

The High noon park was built for a slope style event in July, left for a couple of weeks then smoothed out. A couple of weeks ago they built a small rider cross there, but that's going too.

The Supertrail park. The upper section makes virtually no difference to skiable terrain, and is a pretty good location. It'd be better if you could lap a park by riding lovers leap to bunny walk, but it finishes just slightly too low.

Later in the season the upper section became a twin jib line, having started out with a jump then jibs. The jump was tricky to judge speed - plenty of people hitting the knuckle and a few clearing the landing (that's why you always watch a few before jumping!) It's now not used too much - plenty of people but most ride the side hits, few hit the rails. It's great to watch those that do.

The lower section.

It's had various guises. IMHO opinion it was best as a four jump line + wall ride. Last week the first jump was turned into a jib, a pole jam added to the second jump, 3 and 4 were the same. I prefer jumps so this really annoyed me.

The jumps were smooth, easy take offs and nicely shaped landings. The take-offs feel a tad narrower than the ones Charles used to build.

Depending on conditions it can be tricky to judge speed for the first jump (when its a jump). Hit the knuckle once, but thankfully didn't pay for it. The lower section is also frequently closed for re-builds or grooming as it's on the same snowmaking section as lower super trail.

The biggest problem with the lower section of the super trail park is it has put ALL the traffic onto the skiers right section and made that part too busy and too dangerous. Too many people too many speed differences, too many levels of ability all in on small space. I've seen a few accidents.

I'd like to see the upper section as a twin line - jib and jumps, maybe a hip, if there's room for twin lines, and the lower section returned as a regular ski/board run.

Reactions: benchives
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sea_dog

Hard Yards
May 16, 2014
The Merrits park is good in terms of design and layout. However, I have noticed, that especially in this soft snow we have had lately, that the maintenance on it has slackened off. Last weekend, huge ruts had formed on the landings of the 3 last jumps...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using