1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo to Charlotte Pass Chair

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by andrew6736, May 23, 2006.

1. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Re: Thredbo chair to charlottes pass

I wouls have loved to have interviewed them but unfortunately the two (2) main players, George Buckworth and Gardner Lee McCoy, are no longer with us. I have managed to track down their descendents who I will hopefully be meeting with in the near future.

For those of you who are interested, George Buckworth's 2009 obituary was published in the Sydney Morning Herald: http://www.smh.com.au/national/obituarie...91120-iqvu.html

Both Buckworth and McCoy seemed like they were both amazing characters and it's because of them that we now have this wonderful story. Thank you George and Gardner!

#451 Diponza, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

As i said earlier there will be records under the lot and DP i posted up the page. The land titles office has records of properties dating back to the original land grants for every oarcel of land in the state. If you can't find the information give a professional a call. Advance Legal Search(ers) are very helpful.

#452 Snow Blowey, Aug 11, 2011
  3. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

It seems very messy and it still doesn't make complete sense to me. The ranger station building for example, I don't understand how such a structure was permitted to be built on land within a national park without some type of legal definition. I have managed to track down the surveyor who signed off on the survey that illustrated the original chairlift easement and therefore I'm hoping that he will be able to provide some answers.

I'm still going to persist with looking through the title changes because I'm hoping that the search with unearth some more information. Who knows what I'll end up finding but it's worth a try.

#453 Diponza, Aug 11, 2011
  4. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

In Victoria at least, lots of ski related buildings were built on questionable titles. The most common until about 30 years ago were "permissive occupancies" which meant that bureaucrats could evict the lessees without compensation and demand that the site be cleared and restored to it's original untouched status. This never quite happened, but bureaucrats frequently used this very tenuous leasehold to push around lodge owners.

However I know of at least one 25 bed commercial ski lodge that was built on a "miners right". This was a technicality which allowed someone proposing to mine crown land to install buildings and infrastructure. Of course the company that owned the ski lodge had no plans to do any mining on the site, they just used a miners right as a way to bypass years of negotiating with bureaucrats. But the bureaucrats won because after operating for two years, the lodge owners were thrown out and the property was handed over to the state owned railways, who operated it very profitably for many years until it burnt down.

5. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Bogong - cheap title means cheap prices - it's a knife that cuts both ways. Freehold's got freehold value for a reason.

6. climberman

Diponza - there are a bunch of other lots south of the Thredbo River. It's prolly on one of them.

7. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Bogong that's very interesting. It seems like the pioneering years of the ski industry were organised and managed very poorly which was probably a blessing that allowed a lot to get done due to the lack of bureaucracy.

Earlier this week I was reading Tony Sponar's wonderful book where the subject of Permissive Occupancy was raised. Apparently Ken Murray initially operated Perisher under a short Permissive Occupancy legal arrangement which had the had the added financial benefit of allowing him to write off his capital expenses.

#457 Diponza, Aug 12, 2011
  8. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Any chance to get the details?

#458 Diponza, Aug 12, 2011
  9. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

As anyone who has worked on their family tree will tell you... Expect to find a skeleton or two. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#459 JoeKing, Aug 12, 2011
  10. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Exactly! My family history was the last project which I worked on before I started to research the Alpine Way to Charlotte Way chairlift. I could never have imagined what I would have ended up discovering and hence my persistence with this current subject.

Only the other day someone sent me a package full of photographs and articles about the chairlift spanning the timeframe stretching from 1967 to 2005. The photographs included the first images that I have ever seen of the interior of the Ramshead restaurant top station building which were taken in August 1979 when the building was still relateively weatherproof. And the only reason why I came across this information was because I found a brief mention of the chairlift in a bushwalking book that I recently found and bought in a second hand book shop in Newtown. I eventually tracked down the author who is now living in the Lake Macquarie area and as it turned out, he has an amazing archive of information which he was generous enought to share with me.

#460 Diponza, Aug 12, 2011
  11. Snow Blowey

The base station is on Lot 58 of DP 756725. A long narrow lot between the Alpine Way and Thredbo River.

Rest of the chair route is Lot 15 DP 756705.

Just pay me with a free copy of the book. [​IMG]

#461 Snow Blowey, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  12. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Could have saved you that trouble. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#462 VSG, Aug 12, 2011
  13. climberman

I dunno about poorly - just commensurate with the level of public interest and concern, and a lower population pressure meaning less need to have such tight controls as we do today on the private use of public lands. It was most definately a blessing. It was certainly good for KT, who recently rolloed over their 50 year option on the original financial terms ! (albeit with a vastly altered set of costs for bed charges, etc, etc, etc.).

#463 climberman, Aug 12, 2011
  14. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

I'm hoping that the book won't be that expensive!

#464 Diponza, Aug 12, 2011
  15. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Thanks VSG! That's a great help.

#465 Diponza, Aug 12, 2011
  16. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Since I am not a skier nor am I an employee of the NPWS or a follower of the environmental movement, I would consider myself as a neutral in regards to this subject. Any judgement I make is based purely on the facts at hand. From my research to date, I would still consider that the initial management of this public asset was extremely poor and I point the blame squarely at the state government which didn't set up an appropriate management framework in the first place. But at the end of the day, the problem arising relates to the amount of control and what is considered reasonable. That's the difficult and probably impossible part.

From what I know about the KT lease, I think that the initial stage of building a 100 bed hotel and a chairlift a mile long within five (5) years was ridiculous. What if Lend Lease hadn't come along to rescue Thredbo in time? Then would there be a village ruin on the mountainside? I am of the opinion that the regulation at the time wasn't enough and that a financial guarantee to build the necessary infrastructure should have been a minimum requirement to start negotiations for the lease and not something that got sorted out later. This to me is extremely poor management and planning.

On the other hand, today it seems like there is too much regulation. A reasonable balance is extremely hard to achieve but that's all part of living in a democracy.

#466 Diponza, Aug 13, 2011
  17. climberman

Naaahhhh, Thredbo just developed from a group of families who were skiing enthusiasts, who slowly pooled cash and built stuff. After a while they even built a lift ! There'd be a few people here who's parents would remember being lodge members in Thredbo and walking up the hill before the lifts were built. It'd be more like an archery club or the local scouts hall being on some leased public lands. Happens all he time, no great oversight provided, just have to be solvent and if they go bust, lose members, grow out of favour, whatever (think bowls clubs throughout NSW) the state gets the land back.

I must admit to being unaware that the Thredbo Valley to CP lift was a public venture. I thought it was a private gig for which the state supported in as far as it leased em land, gave em permission, and slapped em on the arse and said 'go fer yer life'.

18. climberman

^^^ note, some details omitted for ease of reading [​IMG]

#468 climberman, Aug 13, 2011
  19. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

What drugs were you smoking on the weekend?

#469 Diponza, Aug 17, 2011
  20. site2c

site2c First Runs

Hi Diponza.

Looks like you're having a tough time with the Department of Lands. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I'm a lawyer based in Sydney and can access property search providers from my office, though I do not do property work.

I've done a title search for 15/DP756705 and 58/DP756725. They both refered me to Departmental Dealing number AF767063, which was recorded on 20 September 2010. A search of dealing AF767063 has revealed a document with 50 titles (including the 2 above) that are now administered by National Parks and Wildlife Services. I will conduct some enquiries with the Department of Lands to see whether there are electronic copies of the diagrams for the DPs available. I suspect that they are "old title" DPs (as compared to the more modern Torrens Title, which is electronically recorded and registrered) and will take some time to locate (a needle in a haystack type of senario).

Old leases may still be available in the Department of lands that relate to the old lift.

Given the scale of the project back then, I doubt that the lift was subject to a permissive occuapancy.

Later today I will conduct some historical searches of the companies that built the lift. There may be some archieved documents at ASIC or electronically that may include the lease and/ or finance documents for the building of the lift. Again, given the immense scale of the project at the time, there should be some documentation in the archives relating to the building of the lift.

I am so facinated by the history of this lift. My old man used to tell me stories about his days skiing at the Pass and how he got a lift "for a few years" from Thredbo to CP. As most kids do when their parents tell them stories of the olden days' I took no notice, until a couple of years back when I came accross this post. It was only then I realised this was the lift my father was talking about. Its just a shame he died about 4 years ago so I never got the opportunity to ask him about it.

When I went to Thredbo in July this year I stopped by Ranger Station on the way back home. I took a lot of photos (I will post them up by the end of the week). I couldn't make out the lift line from the station, nor could I work out how it was once a base lift station. Nevertheless, standing at the bottom of the station and looking up gives you a good idea about the scale of the project. Even by today's standards it was a massive feat of engineering.

21. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Hi site2c

Thank you for the offer of assistance.

Yes I have been experiencing some major problems in trying to find archival information in order to assist my understanding of the history of this enterprise. As you can appreciate from my previous posts, there seems to be numerous inconsistencies in the LPI archive that relate to this project. I am after any information that will shed light on the legal background of this project such as title documents, DP diagrams, lease documents, surveys, 88B instruments, correspondence, etc. Basically I'd be interested in document that you can find.

To date I have obtained from the LPI a copy of the diagram which illustrates the chairlift reservation and indicates the boundary lengths, bearings, etc. This reservation encumbered the parcel of land which seems was originally identified under the Crown Plan Number W6021-1604.

LPI also provided a copy of the diagram from DP 45184. This diagram illustrates various parcels of land around the Charlotte Pass end of the lift and identifies the chairlift corridor as being 15 W6021-1604, which I assume is 15/DP756705. LPI also provided me with 16/756705 and 58/756725 however their computer systems don't have any further information.

I agree with you that a project of this scale would not have been subject to a permissive occupancy. I'm not a lawyer or a surveyor and therefore this is not my area of expertise however I assume that the land title identification would have been something more restrictive such as a reservation or easement with a restriction of use set out in a 88B of some sort. Anymore thoughts on this?

It would be great if you could do a historical search into the legal entities who were involved. I believe that the company behind the project was Kosciusko Chalet Pty Ltd. The company was later floated and became Kosciusko Chalet Limited. Kosciusko Chalet was a subsidiary of Broken Hill Holdings. My investigations to date have led me to believe that Kosciusko Chalet was in deep financial trouble long before November 1965, which is the widely believed date of when the company went into receivership. I believe that this date could have been as early as 1963.

Sir Barton Pope eventually became the new chairman of Kosciusko Limited. I believe that this occurred due to his involvement with the Finance Corporation of Australia. Maybe the the Finance Corporation of Australia was the lending authority for the project? I've also been told that the Bank of Adelaide were later involved with the Chalet which I find interesting because they eventually took over the Finance Corporation of Australia.

In 1966 the lease for the Chalet was then taken over by Noahs Ltd, a subsidiary of Mainline Corp Ltd, which also went into receivership in August 1974. In 1975 the lease was then taken over by a syndicate of four (4) Sydney businessmen. The new owners relinquished the chairlift lease, which apparently at the time, was still sitting dormant over the Ramshead Range.

I'm looking for information such as when the companies were created, floated and closed down, who were the directors and when were they appointed, the documents associated with the public listing, leases, finance documents, annual tax returns, etc. I'm not sure how much of the information that I have outlined above is still available however I would be grateful for anything that you manage to find. I'm hoping that all these bit and pieces of information will allow me to construct a thorough account of this amazing story.

I'm sorry to hear that your father is no longer with us. I would have loved to have interviewed him. What about any friends that he used to ski with?

I look forward to seeing your photographs. I have a image that shows the Alpine Way departure platform adjacent to the current day ranger station. Let me know if you would like to see it.

#471 Diponza, Aug 18, 2011
  22. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Today I made another frustrating visit to the LPI.

I ordered a copy of Crown Plan Number W6119-1604, which encompasses the area covered by 58/756725. I've been thinking that this parcel of land stands out by itself along the Alpine Way. I'm wondering if it was created as part of the Alpine Way to Charlotte Pass chairlift development. Maybe the land on the southern side of the road was the intended site for the future motel.

The LPI staff member who assisted me today brought up the map for the Parish of Thredbo. Around the area in question we noticed a mention of Snow Lease 85. The staff member didn't know what this referred to or where to look it up. Does anyone know?

Today I collected two (2) aerial photographs of the site that date from February 1965 and January 1979. The images clearly show the new ski runs that were created as a consequence of establishing the chairlift.

23. EscargottSpargo

EscargottSpargo First Runs

Diponza. Might find this informative. http://blowering.com/mapsnowl.html

and this: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/sessionalview/sessional/act/1944-14.pdf

and this.

[​IMG]

#473 EscargottSpargo, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  24. SummerSucks

SummerSucks First Runs

Can anyone tell me whether this is the ruins of the Mount Stilwell restaurant or if it is the Charlottes Restaurant? Also do the ruins still look like this? Any idea how old this photo would be?

#474 SummerSucks, Aug 30, 2011
  25. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

There is a bit of confusion in regards to what is the correct name of these ruins because I have seen various references such as the Mount Stilwell Restaurant, the Ramshead Restaurant, the Koscisuko Chalet Chairlift Restaurant, the Top Station Restaurant, etc. They are all one and the same thing which is the remains of the restaurant building which was also the intersection point for the two chairlifts which connected the Alpine Way to Charlotte Pass.

Yes the ruins still look like that. Here are some images that were taken last Friday: https://picasaweb.google.com/106779949508946458850/ForPHS2?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPhlMmMxo3PrwE#

#475 Diponza, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  26. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

Wow great pictures!!!

27. SummerSucks

SummerSucks First Runs

Wow thanks for a look at the pics. So is there also ruins and relics on the Thredbo side of the lift?

And how did you access this area. From Charlottes or Thredbo? Just trying to figure out how long it takes to get there for a look

28. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

thanks so much for posting those.

what a fabulous bit of history. such a big vision, so poorly executed and compounded by bad luck. if only...

29. Snow Blowey

about 30-60 minute walk in summer from charlotte pass would be easiest - unless you mean on skis.

#479 Snow Blowey, Aug 30, 2011
  30. SummerSucks

SummerSucks First Runs

No in winter on a snowboard. I gather it must be downhill at least one way

31. Snow Blowey

about 2 hours from top of merrits all on a slight incline so walking the whole way. Probably half that on the way back as it's all a slight decline. On skis you can ski from about half way back with a bit of poling. Not sure how you would go on a board.

You'd be walking most of the way from CP also. Could ride back down and come out via the creek the the east of CP with a little walk back to the village.

32. SummerSucks

SummerSucks First Runs

Hmmm interesting. Thanks blowey

33. choc

choc One of Us

Was out there today. Much closer to CP than Thredbo. Probably half the distance as the crow flies.

Edit: I just read the first line of the Wiki article too, and it's wrong. The restaurant/ruins are/were not located at the top of Mt Stilwell.

34. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Correct. I've often wondered why in some places the ruins are referred to as being named after Mt Stillwell. I wonder how this incorrect title originated.

Interestingly in 1975, amongst other ideas, there were plans to build another gondola style lift to service Charlotte Pass but this time up Mt Stillwell.

#484 Diponza, Sep 2, 2011
  35. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Or they could just clear the bloody road.

36. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

The images were provided by someone else. They used the Charlotte Pass chair to get on to Kangaroo Ridge then a forty (40) minute climb to reach the saddle on the eastern side of Mount Stilwell and engage the snow poles. Then it was another forty (40) minutes to the ruins however it would have been quicker if they had taken the skins off the skis. Coming back was a bit slower due to the 30 knot head wind and there wasn't enough snow behind Mount Wheatly and on Johnnies Plain to attempt that route.

Attempting to reach the ruins from the top of Merritts wasn't recommended as it seems that the window to attempt that route has now passed for this season although not impossible.

The observation was made that at 1900m, the cover was unskiable, in particular at the top of Trapyard Creek if wanting to use the alternative route to get to Perisher. At 2000m the cover was OK but as can be seen in the pictures, some 'grass skiing' was required to get over the numerous bare patches.

#486 Diponza, Sep 4, 2011
  37. tantangara

tantangara First Runs

#487 tantangara, Sep 4, 2011
  38. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Hi Tantangara
    Thank you so much for the images! They are wonderful. Could you be more specific with the date?

#488 Diponza, Sep 5, 2011
  39. tantangara

tantangara First Runs

Hi

A Thank you so much for the images! They are wonderful. Could you be more specific with the date?
    [/quote]

A page or two back you referred to some information you recieved.(Greg P. will be the person) It referred to an August trip. This was in the old school holidays so end of August early September.

At this time the area downstairs was not weather proof and snow was being blown up the stairs to the dining area. We camped in this area with the lovely elevated doublesided fireplace with a massive cast iron and stone chimney. The was some loose sheets of roofing flapping in the winds. We stayed for 3 nights and had to walk back to Thredbo in a full on blizzard. Quite an adventure for young lads.

At this time there was a large number of the chairlift seats and canopies downstairs . These made for some fun toboggan rides down the slope to the east.

The deterioration proceeded quite quickly as a number of return visits witnessed this. To what extent there was a clean up by management I can't say but a lot of the 'loose' stuff had gone by '83 /'84.

I'll pop some pics into the album to peruse.

40. tantangara

tantangara First Runs

#490 tantangara, Sep 5, 2011
  41. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

A page or two back you referred to some information you recieved.(Greg P. will be the person) It referred to an August trip. This was in the old school holidays so end of August early September.

At this time the area downstairs was not weather proof and snow was being blown up the stairs to the dining area. We camped in this area with the lovely elevated doublesided fireplace with a massive cast iron and stone chimney. The was some loose sheets of roofing flapping in the winds. We stayed for 3 nights and had to walk back to Thredbo in a full on blizzard. Quite an adventure for young lads.

At this time there was a large number of the chairlift seats and canopies downstairs . These made for some fun toboggan rides down the slope to the east.

The deterioration proceeded quite quickly as a number of return visits witnessed this. To what extent there was a clean up by management I can't say but a lot of the 'loose' stuff had gone by '83 /'84.

I'll pop some pics into the album to peruse. [/quote]
    Yes Greg P was the source of my information. Were you one of the children who accompanied him on that journey? Greg provided me with some wonderful information and I'm hoping to visit him in the near future to discuss this further.

Greg's collection of photographs included the first interior views of the building that I had ever seen and yes the first floor did appear to be a lovely place to provide shelter from a blizzard. As you mentioned, the fireplace was in particular a beautiful piece work which I believed was built by SABEMO, the Transfield subsidary construction company.

I'm interested to know what else you remember about your stay there. The last resident chef told me about the first floor bathroom which apparently had a beautiful bathtub with its own window and therefore the amazing view could be enjoyed during the ritual of bathing. Do you think that your memory would be good enough that you could reproduce a floor plan of the building?

An interesting side story is that SABEMO was also responsible for the renovation of the Kosiusko Chalet which involved the recladding of the exterior of the building to cover the original red/pink and white checkered pattern that was of a similar colour scheme to the palette used for the roof of the Hotel Kosciusko.

Yes the deterioration after the winter of 1979 seemed to be quite rapid. I believe that a portion of the roof was ripped off during a storm and then some of the oregon timber was removed and salvaged to find a new lease of life in a house in Adaminaby. There are also the stories of the prisoners from Cooma jail, the army using the building for bomb practice and the tale of a disgruntled NPWS ranger lighting the building on fire, all of which still need to be confirmed.

#491 Diponza, Sep 5, 2011
  42. Ben

Ben One of Us

I heard the army blew up the building years ago. Can anyone confirm this rumour?

43. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Yes the link works perfectly! Thank you.

#493 Diponza, Sep 5, 2011
  44. tantangara

tantangara First Runs

DP

yes I was one of the younger section of the trip. As to the floor plan I can not remember too much. At the time much of the downstairs area was blocked up with snow - the toilets did not work!

W

45. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Such a waste to rip it down [​IMG]

#495 rollyz, Sep 9, 2011
  46. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

Through reading one of the management plans produced by the NPWS (I don't know if it is the current version) I learnt that the long term plans involved the removal of ruins. Does anyone know any further information?

47. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Hard Yards

it should be preserved as it is!
    wonderful story and amazing pics thanks so much

48. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

At what point do we move from "abandoned building" to "historic ruins"?

49. Diponza

Diponza Hard Yards

I think that the most appropriate point would be when the building was no longer useful as a shelter, which was probably some time after the winter of 1983. In June of 1983, even though the first floor wall enclosure and roof structure had already been removed, the ground floor of the building would probably have still been suitable for emergency shelter.

I'd be interested to find out exactly when the first floor was removed and whether this important staging point relates to another mysterious tale that surrounds this building. This time it is the infamous story of the rogue ranger who enjoyed moonlighting as a firebug. Apparently the timber structure was set on fire by a rogue ranger who was of the opinion that the building didn't belong there. I'm still yet to find anyone who can confirm this story.

50. Ozziski

Ozziski First Runs

Curiosity has the better of me.Watching these posts, speculative and real plus
    the support that Diponza has garnered is interesting. My curiosity revolves
    around is there anyone on the forum that was actually involved with operating
    the CP to Alpine way chair ?.