1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo traditional names

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by skinik, Jul 31, 2020.

1. skinik

skinik Hard Yards

Admin Note. These posts were pulled from the reports thread so they can have a life of there own.

Sorry to jump back a few posts...I’m curious-how many of the names around the area are surviving Ngarigo or Wiradjuri language? What has two names, as for kunanyi/Mt Wellington in lutruwitja/tasmania or mparntwe/mbantua/alice springs?

#1 skinik, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020
  2. sastrugi

sastrugi Beyond the yoga zone Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not really aware of any double names and couldn't give you a number of local language names.

When doing the research on names for our property 3 years ago, I found a historical site that included the story behind the naming of many of the lodges on both sides of the range back in the 50s and 60s. Basically, the government gave the developers a big list of indigenous names they could choose for their lodges. Many of the lodge names stand to this day - Munjarra, Pindari, Inala, Tar Gan Gil etc etc. I'm not aware if the names were local or 'generic' indigenous names, and I'm really sorry but I can't find the story now.

(We ended up naming our property Illalangi, "home on a/the hill". I was unable to find exactly which indigneous langage it came from and the local dialect language dictionary was not available online and was incredibly expensive to buy in hard copy. To me, it was really important to recognise the property we inhabit from an indigenous perspective though :) ).

AJS, coolair, lncrdj79 and 1 other person like this.
  3. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo is Ngarigo country and I believe Wiradjuri is a little further west past Tumut and there is another country between.

But to answer your question yes there is a move to dual name significant peaks etc. I believe the issue is boundaries are blurred and many places have multiple names. I have always understood Kosci to be Tar gan Gil but I’ve heard a Wiradjuri man use this term for the ranges.

I know Cootapatampa is place where eagles saw,

kunama is snow.

thredbo is resting place

4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I like the idea, and want to see more of it, it does get a bit complicated when there was not one name for a big feature, as people from different mobs called things different names, but IMO it is worth thrashing through and finding the most common. I mean most things that have names from some adventuring Pollack, had a name for thousands of years before that, to me those earlier names have more substance. Pretty rare day I say Ayers Rock.

Shit, sorry.

Fozzie Bear, fenrir, malas1 and 4 others like this.
  5. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Mainly Ngarigo in the south and Walgal in the north of the Park. However the high country was a place of ceremonial significance for a lot of nations who would travel long distances. Kalkite was a big corroboree location with large middens (now under water) and contemporaneous accounts of corroboree's with 900 people attending.

LaNeige, sastrugi, skifree and 2 others like this.
  6. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

walgal was the name of the other country I was looking for between Ngarigo and Wiradjuri.

Jagungal was also a meeting site for elder’s, it’s a men’s site, for years my wife always had a weird feeling there and then learnt about country and spoke to a local. Since then we have always chosen to avoid the main summit and go to other points.

#6 zac150, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  7. sastrugi

I always loved the name Tar Gan Gil and did a bit of research on it on a property we almost bought but missed out on (before landing here). I proudly proclaimed "I'm going to call it Tar Gan Gil" (to the horror of everyone around me no doubt). Research showed the word translated as 'tabletop' which was incredible as that property was on Tabletop Road LOLLOL
    So yeah, this would explain why you've heard a Wiradjuri man use this term for the ranges in general, even though, like you, I always believed it was the name for the highest peak :)

(Should we move this conversation to the Dark Emu thread or start a new one? I'm loving it).

skifree likes this.
  8. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

It's Walgalu (or sometimes spelt with an "o") in the north western parts. Ngunnawal is the North eastern, Bidhawal in the south. There were various groups, such as the Ngarigo, Gundawahl, Djillamtong, Berrengobugge, Yaimatong, Croatingalong and Yuin. The two main groups on Monaro were the Ngarigo people of the tablelands and the Wogul or Wolgalu group in the high country.

The above groups are from the sth east coastal region and they would travel into the Monaro for the Bogong moth season, then back out to the coast for the prawn season. The Ngarigo people were gracious hosts to many.

Here are some Indigenous names for you to ponder.
    Adamindumee (now Adaminaby) - Camping or Resting Place.
    Boonyan (now Bunyan) -Pigeons' Resting Place.
    Chakola (formerly Umeralla) - Place for Lvre Birds.
    Cooma or Coombah - Big Lake or Open Country.
    Coobon (now Cobbin) - Much: plenty.
    Cootapatamba - Place where the Eagles Drink.
    Coolmatongah - Running Water.
    Maneroo - Plains.
    Jillamatong - One Hill.
    Nijong - Water.
    Nimmitabel-The starting place of many waters.
    Matong-Strong.
    Ironmungie - Plenty Ants.
    Jimen Buen - Big Fat Kangaroo Rat.
    Gejizrick - Look Out.
    Wullwah Woolway -Camp.
    Marrinumbla - Plenty Flour.

9. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

10. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

sastrugi and Bogong like this.
  11. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It’s a very nice place to camp.

12. sastrugi

Is that 'strine for Brokeback Mountain?

13. sastrugi

Fabulous list! A bit more googling has uncovered this great resource. Some of the words are different to your list and makes you appreciate even more the complexity of the languages and the importance of work being done to save them now.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  14. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Oh! I'm no genius, I just know where to look.

It was Google all the way. My uncle was TI and I grew up with indigenous mates, so have an interest. It's rich history which has been overlooked to a certain degree. I'm glad it's getting greater exposure and acceptance because it's uniquely Australian. Yes we're a country of mixed origins but this is a history we can all hold as a common thread, which doesn't discriminate.