1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo trip report 18-20 Aug

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by mico, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mico

mico First Runs

Just thought I’d add my 2 cents worth on how Thredbo is at the moment, for people contemplating an end of season rush to the snow. Looks like Zeroz just beat me to it, but hey, why let that stop me.

We stayed in the village, skiing on Sat. 18 with a few cm of snow falling in the afternoon and another few cm overnight followed by a mixed cloudy/clear Sunday and a bright clear Monday. As zeroz says, it was t-shirt weather. Sunday night was cold enough for some snowmaking, but otherwise, there hasn’t been a dump of snow of serious significance in a while. I’ll start by saying that all this talk about the ‘best season in x years’ is rubbish, while its better than last season, its no better than 2005, and possibly the 2nd or 3rd worst year in the last decade or so.

So, to sum up in one sentence for those who don’t want to read this all, it’s definitely a season to stay high up on the mountain.

Roughly run by run. My picks for the weekend were the Merritts area and Antons and Sponars. The rest was all a bit disappointing. The crackafat stuportrail was more or less in its usual state – nice up near Karels but so bloody flat that you might as well start from the Kos. Chair anyway (but everyone knows Karels is only there so Thredbo can claim the highest lifted point over Mt P.), crushed ice on blue ice down to Kareela, reasonably nice powdery manmade down to lower meadows and a wet 7-11 slushy down to the village. Make it your first runs of the day and it will be nice, but after lunch its chopped like mince, still fun though if you consider a dodgy variable run to be a good race challenge. Zeroz, perhaps I was one of those maniacs you refer to blasting down the stuportrail, but hey, slush moguls are always fun for that thrill-mix of speed and the threat that any second you're gonna go arts-over-apex down the mountain, blowing skis and poles left right and center and probably not get killed in the process.

High-noon was the same story as the stupe. The basin is pretty good, but the runs are a bit short here and the t has big queues. Sponars and Antons are awesome, Antons is definitely the better of the two though. The Rider-cross is great fun, and while the bowl at the end of r/c was good on Saturday, on late sun/mon it was ice on the drop in and snow on the other side (probably a snowboarder effect?), which made it a bit tough to work easily. The initial drop-in and the banked corners are awesome. Lenny’s leap and Albert’s amble have some great aussie snow on them, I’d say the best open skiing in Thredbo at the moment. Merritts was also fantastic, the open here was nice but always crowded with beginners up from Friday flat, dashing through the trees just to skiers right of the cruiser was serious fun, even if the cover is a little slushy or bare down low. Keep your eyes open for a neat little s- through the trees near the bottom, its great fun, and drops you right where you want to be for the jumps at the bottom. The merritts terrain park is nice too. The bowl was also in good shape, but the dip in the bottom is a killer.

With the goods out of the way, let me talk about what sucked. Funnelweb, forget it unless you like hiking, Kareela cross if you like ice, actually most runs below the basin suck this year. Parts of the traverse are like skiing a glacier. Lots of runs closed due to lack of snow as zeroz says. Thredbo need to sort their snowmaking out. I never understand why all the snowmaking equip is down low on the mountain. Put all the guns up high, you can run them for more hours, and then push all that snow down the hill. It would probably cure a lot of the ills in thredbo.

Anyway, a good weekend in a typically crap aussie snow season (oh for a year with 2m+ of snow). I really wish they'd be honest in their snow reports though, the hype is ridiculous, and seriously, if there's no snow this week or next (and I mean 50cm not 5cm) then the season is already over unless you like to ski short runs on t-bars.

2. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

To be honest, I haven't heard a report of "best season in years" for a month now, and back then... it was.

I was lucky to catch the last good week (finishing Aug 5th). And I know that even then it wasn't nearly as good as the 3 weeks previous to that.

3. mico

mico First Runs

Really, I heard it time and again, people on lifts saying 'supposedly this is the best season in x years' where x was 5 or 7 or in one case I heard even 20. I suspect its some rubbish being passed around to try and boost bookings after last year, which was the worst season in decades. '82 was only probably the nearest to it, and the only thing that salvaged '06 was snowmaking.

4. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

So, you're saying people on the lifts at Thredbo skiing crap snow were saying it was the best season in X years, while they were there experiencing anything but the best season?

5. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Whingers, fn whingers. Not you sas. It shytes me to hear people whinge about Australian skiing and the snow conditions.

Go north! Go to NZ! leave it to us, who appreciate it!

FFS.

6. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Looking at snow depths over the last 20 years, this season to date is better than 1988, 1989, 1993, 1997 and 2006. It's also better to date than 1991, 1992, 2001 and 2004 were at the same time, though those seasons took off late in August and look likely to leave this one for dead.

It's marginally better then 1998, 1999, 2003 and 2005, similar to 1994 and 2002, and it's not a patch on 1990, 1995, 1996 or 2000.

So, assuming there's no more significant snowfalls, in trems of simple snow depth it's about the 9th best season in the last 20 and the 4th best since Y2K. I'd call that "pretty average".

7. mico

mico First Runs

sastrugi, Not quite, hence the word 'supposedly'. I think many had heard what I had, which was all this hype about thredbo being great this year, and discovered much the opposite, that it was only marginally better than last year.

piste again, you think this season is marginally better than 03 or 05, are you nuts? I think in the wash-up it will be rather clear that 05, 06 and 07 are dud seasons since 2K, 00 through 04 were all much better, and 05 and 07 are about equal.

8. mico

mico First Runs

For VSG, yes, thredbo is fantastic, 2 metres of fresh Aspen powder on every fricken run from top to bottom. Wind-blown powder stashes all over the mountain, excellent top to bottom skiing on the supertrail and the beginners will have great fun learning to turn on friday flat. Do I sound like Thredbo's own marketing folks yet?

Yeah sure VSG, tell anyone who comes away with a slightly non-positive report about the ski fields that they're a whinger if you like, but seriously I'm telling it how it is, hopefully some out there will appreciate hearing the real deal. If anything, I was actually quite positive about some of it, merritts, A&S, etc are great, but you'd have to be crazy on acid to call the nonsense that's coming out in thredbo's 'snow reports' reality.

You want funnelweb and the lower supertrail, you can have them...

PS. VSG, you don't work in the Thredbo marketing department do you?

9. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

It is a personal choice to ski the brown beach or the white beach over the hill.

10. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Nah - I'm not nuts. It's just the way they dress me.

I'm only talking snow depth.

In terms of snow quality, 2005 was pretty ordinary at times (I think there was a fair bit of rain that year too). From memory 2003 was good because the snow kept falling and it didn't rain so much. I can't really comment much on snow quality before that.

This season, the snow quality at times and places have been magic. On the SIC weekend Antons was wonderful in the windblown - but you had to dodge some nasty icy bits. On average it's been just alright (6.5 out of 10), but it's certainly had its moments.

My point is, you can't say this is an above average season.

#10 Piste Again, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  11. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Having a bad day mico. Sorry. Just seemed like another "the snow is shyte" thread. Yours is mostly balanced. cheers .

#11 VSG, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013