1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo vs Perisher Blue

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Stevage, May 13, 2008.

1. Stevage

Stevage First Runs

Ok, it's probably been done before, so don't answer if you're offended [​IMG] I'm taking a group of 10 intermediate-advanced skiers and boarders to Jindabyne for a week in late July. We'll have 5-6 days of skiing. Obviously it's cheaper to spend all the time in one place, but since none of us have been there (from Melb), it'd also be nice to check out both. So for those that know both resorts, would you recommend:

a) 6 days Perisher
    b) 3 days Perisher/3 Thredbo (and in which order?)
    c) 6 days Thredbo
    d) Something else...

There are only two snowboarders, but I'm one of them, so if one place is much better for boarders, I'll go with that [​IMG]

Also what are realistic daily travel times from Jindabyne to slopes at each place midweek July 20-25?

Thanks all,
    Steve

#1 Stevage, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. sleddog

sleddog First Runs

So say the snow is ok at both resorts and the seasons going along ok.

Thredbo 3 days .
    Pb 3 days.

My reasons ,PB isn't as steep as Thredbo is parts ,and 3 days at PB to warm the legs up and then it won't hurt as much on the longer steeper runs at Thredbo.
    Both have good parks.

Either way you got to do both.

Drive about 40 minutes for both .

3. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

If I were you I'd do 3 days at each but just bear in mind that "Perisher" is an old aboriginal word for traverse [​IMG]

#3 sastrugi, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  4. shadow1

shadow1 Hard Yards

Thredbo has a very low base 1365m way below the snowline (1600m). Most of the lower non snowmaking black and blue runs will closed for a good percentage of the season. So you'll be on a narrow trail
    of man made snow.

5. parachutist

parachutist Hard Yards

I agree with the advice so far....

the important thing at Thredbo is the "top to bottom" of snow, and day temperatures. If you can tick all these boxes do thredbo more, as it'll be a sign of good luck( hard to replicate in future years). Thredbo is better for fall line compared to perisher- much less traversing

Flip side- is if it's 100% man made only snow, then Thredbo is better again, wouldn't bother with perisher at all.

If it's average snow, I'd emphasise Perisher more. Smaller base probably means bottom half of thredbo is grass. (except supertrails which can be quite slushy)

The best thing is to come up with a few plans pending the quality of the snow.
    This far out, probably good to have plan A. B. C. and plan D. in case it starts snowing like crazy whilst your down there.

You could also do day one as a trip to Charlottes pass. for the price of a lift ticket you get transport from perisher, lunch and a lift ticket. I think its 200m vertical plenty of blue runs (comparble in steepnes to other major Australian resorts) and some black. Guaranteed that there will be 0 lift lines. The trip itself is an adventure on a snow covered road in an oversnow vehicle. Stand at the top of the runs and look straight out to huge snow covered mountains!!! During this process you go through the middle of perisher and get to see the resort.

6. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Thredbo have installed a lot of snowmaking on the lower runs this year so should be better. That time of year will normally be top to bottom in Thredbo

7. Stevage

Stevage First Runs

Thanks for the responses - very helpful! Interesting that Thredbo is best if no snow, or great snow...:) Grr traverses though, esp with forward lean bindings [​IMG]

Weird thing when we booked accom, they tried to set us up with a "package deal" with lift passes. Weird because they were the same rate as just buying them on the mountain, but totally nonrefundable even if zero snow etc...um, no thanks.

Anyway Charlottes Pass could be good, especially if snow is not great and variety is called for. Is it possible to get there by foot/ski?

Steve

#7 Stevage, May 14, 2008
  8. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

IIRC CP is about 10 - 12 km from PB, not so bad if you have skinny ski's or teles, I wouldn't want to walk it in winter though. You will also have to dodge the snowcats if you walk the road.

9. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I normally slide at Thredbo (club membership = negligible accommodation costs), but I took my boarder mate (a strong intermediate boarder, not a park user) over to Perisher one day a few seasons ago just to mix things up a bit. He refuses to go back again because of the traversing, and I have to say that he was a right PITA. I spent as much time waiting for him as I did sliding, and all he did was grizzle about the flat bits.

Admittedly as a skier I didn't worry too much about trying to avoid the traverses, but there is a LOT of pretty flat terrain in places at Perisher. Don't get me wrong - there are some really good bits too, but my mate wanted to spend the rest of the trip at Thredbo.

10. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Just remember. " You will never get over a trip to Thredbo"

11. Donza

Donza Pool Room

My two cents.-Very snowboard centric view.
    Thredbo. Pros.Big Vertical, Long runs. Great snowmaking at the bottom of the main trails. Good in a NW blizzard. More meaningful chairlifts than Perisher. Less lines (usually).Way way better parking. Closer to Jindy. Easier drive. CHEAPER lift tix. Thanks thredbo club.
    Cons. When the snow is so so it can suck with everyone rding either the supertrail,High noon or merritts. It doesn't matter so much in June when its quiet, but come July that can be a pain.Big pushaways on main trails home. The park isn't as good as Perishers.Can be SO SO crowded at Merritts at lunch time.
    Perisher. Heaps more area to play in. Less crowded runs. More chance to find good snow. Four ski hills. Great parks. Lots of lifts(don't like this one- go to another). Its possible to ride all day and not really ride the same spot twice. Higher so it keeps the so so snow much better.
    Cons. Tbars. Tbars. Stupid slow old chairs that really don't open up terrain they just get you to a traverse to go somewhere.
    So crowded in places. Eg 30-40mins on Front valley Tbars or telemark t-bar some days. Crap parking. More rental punters. front valley = bourke st. More expensive lift tix. Some sheltered spots in a blizzard-though some horribly exposed.
    Shut a couple of lifts and the Hill shrinks in Area so much.
    Some runs go up hill it so flat. (New grading maybe? the pink run).

The traversing can be bad at Perisher, however once you figure the high spots and low spots you shouldn't have any dramas. Mind you thats a bit of time spent.

Me i'm a Thredbo fan..though on a sunny spring day i'd rather be with my buddies at Perisher.

12. sastrugi

On a Sunny spring day I'd rather be out on the Main Range with my buddies [​IMG]

#12 sastrugi, May 14, 2008
  13. Donza

Donza Pool Room

My buddies are lazy and like to get on the cans.Pffft walking whats that...?
    Perisher is the best hill for getting on the cans.
    Thredbo is too hard. Try to negotiate high noon traffic after a couple. No way

#13 Donza, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  14. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

thredbo is better in every aspect for a snowboarder except for parks.

15. Dylan

Dylan Hard Yards

i don't think traversing is as much a problem at Perisher as some people are making out. Sure, there are some flat bits, but with any speed they'll be no problem.

I admit, i hated the bit near the end Pleasent Valley at Blue Cow when i first started (first day) because it was too hard to not have to unstrap, but if you're any good you'd probably make it.

16. Donza

Donza Pool Room

You should never go near PV quad as a first dayer. That place is too flat.

#16 Donza, May 14, 2008
  17. Dive

Dive Hard Yards

I might be going down with a beginner - which would be best for them?

18. parachutist

parachutist Hard Yards

Stevage

Last year I spent a w/e at a lodge in Jindy. I made the booking direct. We paid for our lift tickets with cash to the proprietor when we got there, he gave us some slips we cashed in for lift tickets in town ( or at the hill if preferred).

I was surprised at the saving, from memory somewhere between 10-$20pp on a 2 day ticket.

19. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Smiggins - best place to learn.

#19 person s, May 14, 2008
  20. shadow1

shadow1 Hard Yards

Thredbo is the best for first timers with Friday Flat with a quad chair. The beginners will find Perisher's Pretty Valley, Pleasant Valley (not if a snowboarder) and Smiggins the best. Thredbo graduates of Friday Flat will have go the Merritts area. To get to Thredbo village you must download the Merrits double or the Gunbarrel express unless you want to ski on Intermidate high noon.

21. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I think blue cow (easy does it chair is the best spot). Its got enough slope to edge and turn and the snow is usually pretty good.
    friday flat is crap in my opinion. too shallow too crowded and hard man made snow softening to mash potato.

#21 Donza, May 15, 2008
  22. Dive

Dive Hard Yards

Thanks for the advice [\threadjack]

23. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    That means learning has been dumbed down......graduates to the Merritts area....where I learned before the building of friday flat spending a lot of time riding the duplex tbars and old no.11 lift. Are todays learners less capable?

24. Dive

Dive Hard Yards

Also means that absolute beginners are coraled away in a safe spot, hopefully resulting in less accidents. Merritts would be carnage with those thousands of beginners.

25. agentBM

A person I know did their first ever snowboarding at Thredbo last season and were impressed. Funny thing was, it was at night on Snowgums chair to Bunnywalk station for the 1km or so back down the supertrail to the bottom....nowhere near FF.

26. Dive

Dive Hard Yards

Not a bad effort. Some of that is much steeper than Merritts.

27. agentBM

yeah I thought that....it was nice and dry cold too - minus 6 at 7pm.

28. sastrugi

I learned up there too Berg, in the olden days on the old poma tow. Today's learners fight for space on the slopes and the front of the lift Q, pay a shite-load more and expect a shite-load more bang for their buck. Like many aspects of life today, everyone wants something NOW and doesn't stop to enjoy the ride/smell the roses/appreciate life's lessons along the way.
    [/rant off]

#28 sastrugi, May 15, 2008
  29. agentBM

Yep was great up there in the bowl near the Tbar. Maybe lessons are staged more these days like swimming lessons for kids where you take maybe two more lessons to reach the same ability. I remeber learning swimming when I was a kid in about five or so lessons. My son (7yo) has had over an entire school term of them yet is still not a swimmer. More lessons, learn slower = more cash.

30. Thenos

Thenos First Runs

Its a simple answer for me after skiing last 15yrs at both:
    If it dumps, head to Thredbo as it is great when it is running top to bottom. If the snow is not the best, go to perisher as the higher base means most of its runs will still be open. Also the advantage of being able to go to different parts if one area is busy, whereas your generally stuffed if it is busy as Threbo.

Unlike most others though i dont mind the traversing at Persiher, kind of enjoy all the journeying actually, and im a snowboarder! Its not really that bad neway, only one that gets the heavy breathing is from top of freelander quad to Blue Cow.
    Must be all those years on skiis, and learinging at falls where skiing home with a bit of a traverse was best end to a day.

Was in Japan in January, and still choose a few traverses for fun. I just like to take all in the scenery and environment, then hit the pow!

31. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What Berg said.

and this might help.

[​IMG]

#31 VSG, Jun 8, 2008
  32. VSG

For all you Victorians, and others that don't ski Thredbo.

What a ski resort looks like, early in the morning, standing at over 2040m above sea level. What was that? Mount Hotham's highest point is around 200m lower? Mount Buller, lower again? Falls Creek!?? pffft. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#32 VSG, Jun 8, 2008
  33. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I have never noticed the crease myself

34. choc

choc One of Us

That's cause it's always behind you. [​IMG]

#34 choc, Jun 8, 2008
  35. VSG

Still a great photo, SIg.

http://61.88.2.20/

and another....

[​IMG]

#35 VSG, Jun 8, 2008
  36. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Beautiful photo

37. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

ditto, and the one at the top.

38. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

39. VSG

[​IMG]

And you know exactly where the shot is?

#39 VSG, Jun 8, 2008
  40. VSG

and another....

[​IMG]

#40 VSG, Jun 8, 2008
  41. Principal Douglas

Only a vague idea... Your point? [​IMG]

#41 Principal Douglas, Jun 8, 2008
  42. VSG

you seem to be un-impressed by rocks at thredbo... had a look around the back of Olympic, or Mt P? [​IMG]

I'd say it's looking across Stanley's ...

#42 VSG, Jun 8, 2008
  43. Principal Douglas

I have no issue with the rocks at Thredbo. They're good to jump off [​IMG]

#43 Principal Douglas, Jun 8, 2008
  44. benchives

rocks?

[​IMG]

#44 benchives, Jun 8, 2008
  45. VSG

Where is that? Waimea?

#45 VSG, Jun 8, 2008
  46. whatajoke

whatajoke Hard Yards

Being at the Top of Karels as the sun is rising is amazing. One of the most beautifull things i have ever witnessed. And then knowing you have got the whole supertrail ahead of you to hit flat out! Serenity, Pure Serenity.

I Love Top to Bottom morning!

47. benchives

yes sensei.

#47 benchives, Jun 9, 2008
  48. VSG

I guess that is a yes to Waimea ? [​IMG]

#48 VSG, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  49. benchives